PDA

View Full Version : is Loch Shin worth a look?

percy toboggan
11-Jul-08, 19:09
I'm beside myself with anticipation for our next holiday up in God's country.

We're staying at Portmahomack but fancy a couple of excursions. Perhaps one as far as Thurso...only to look at the likes of Watten, and Glengolly. Other more likely runs will be - brace yerslves - a look INSIDE Dunrobin Castle - I feel queasy at the prospect but Mrs.T fancies it and we should sometimes leave political feelings aside for the greater enhancement of the lifes experience.

I'm also looking at Loch Shin...and see a circular type tour is possible.
Is it very lovely? The 'falls of Shin' ring a bell, or am I lapsing into the realms of fantasy?

dirdyweeker
11-Jul-08, 19:15
Went to the Falls of Shin last summer. A long drive from Wick for the little we saw. Unless you want to do a spot of Harrods shopping? Nice restaurant. Always felt the Falls were bigger when I was little! Went then to the Big Burn Walk in Golspie on our way back and had a much more enjoyable time. A beautiful waterfall with a lovely walk. Maybe not everyones cup of tea but I enjoyed it more than Shin.

Enjoy whatever you choose as everyone has their own opinions.

ps also visited Dunrobin last year for the 1st time in years.....well worth the visit, prepare for a lengthy time spent there. I did !!:lol:

percy toboggan
11-Jul-08, 19:18
thanks dw...will consult the rough guide...I think that Golspie walk is mentioned in there. Being lazy really 'cos it's in the car, in the garage.

KCI
11-Jul-08, 19:26
I think that that the Falls of Shin are worth a look, but as dirdyweeker has said, they are not spectacular!

There is a forest walk, which is OK, and has a nice viewpoint. The Falls are OK, worth a photo anyway. The restaurant is nice, and the shop is worth a look if you are into Harrods items. The shop used to be nicer before it was turned into Harrods to be honest.

I would say that if you are going that way anyway, it's worth a visit. :)

bobandag16
11-Jul-08, 19:27
thanks dw...will consult the rough guide...I think that Golspie walk is mentioned in there. Being lazy really 'cos it's in the car, in the garage.
you just need to come to scotland. no guide needed . every where you will find something to remeber. even the weather. but the people will be best .

bekisman
11-Jul-08, 19:32
You'll have to try 'Shin Fry'..

Nope 'aint a bit of leg, but a chippy in Lairg!

northener
11-Jul-08, 20:10
But not as good as the Chippy in Golspie : The 'Trawler'.

I stop there every tinme I pass!

Falls of Shin are fine for half an hour, Dunrobin Castle is a definite yes and if you've got time a walk to the top of Ben Bragghie is a must on a clear day.
You can't miss it, it's the one with a statue of Earl (get off moi laaaand) Sutherland at the top.:D

TBH
11-Jul-08, 20:27

Falls of Shin are fine for half an hour, Dunrobin Castle is a definite yes and if you've got time a walk to the top of Ben Bragghie is a must on a clear day.
You can't miss it, it's the one with a statue of Earl (get off moi laaaand) Sutherland at the top.:DDon't mention that name when you are in Sutherland, they will run you out of the County or worse, remember the 'Wicker Man.':eek:

Thumper
11-Jul-08, 20:52
seeing as you are that near to the falls,its worth a look Percy!The shop has some nice-ish stuff and the food is lovely there,make sure you take your midge repellant tho :eek: All the other places that have been suggested are also worth a look,but I have to agree with Northener,The Trawler is fab!Happy hols! x

northener
11-Jul-08, 22:22
Don't mention that name when you are in Sutherland, they will run you out of the County or worse, remember the 'Wicker Man.':eek:

What? The Earl? Never!

Top bloke, absolute diamond geezer.......

Er, there appears to be some sort of effigy being built in my garden[para]

TBH
11-Jul-08, 22:23
What? The Earl? Never!

Top bloke, absolute diamond geezer.......

Er, there appears to be some sort of effigy being built in my garden[para]Have you got a daughter called Rowan Woodward?[lol]

northener
11-Jul-08, 22:29
Percy, if you want to do something different - how about panning for gold up Strath Halladale? You can get the gear and instructions in Helmsdale.

We had a great day out last Summer on the stream.
We didn't find any but we had some interesting conversations with a couple of experienced gold panners. One of them was kind enough to come down and show us a small nugget they'd just panned out that day.

Let me know if you want any more details.

wifie
11-Jul-08, 22:29
Aye Percy stop if yer passin but I would miss out mini Harrods. Must admit haven't been that way for a while. Hey Bekisman The Shin Fry - now that brings back happy memories :) Have not been on the Big Burn Walk but recently saw some pics and it looks worth a peek!

northener
11-Jul-08, 22:31
Have you got a daughter called Rowan Woodward?

Do you know why Edward Woodward has four d's in his name?

Because otherwise he would be called Ewar Woowar![lol][lol][lol]

Oh, I love telling that one....

Kevin Milkins
11-Jul-08, 22:51
Percy, if you want to do something different - how about panning for gold up Strath Halladale? You can get the gear and instructions in Helmsdale.

We had a great day out last Summer on the stream.
We didn't find any but we had some interesting conversations with a couple of experienced gold panners. One of them was kind enough to come down and show us a small nugget they'd just panned out that day.

Let me know if you want any more details.

And if you work up an appetite panning for gold ,you must call at the La Mirage in Helmsdale for a fish supper. Top Nosh

percy toboggan
11-Jul-08, 23:25
Thaks all:chippies duly noted.
Northener thanks for the pannin' info but not sure I'm up to stoopin' in streams* at the mo...pan in hand. We've only got a week so doubt it would be worth it goldwise ;-)
Anyway, Wallet (my Missus) has seen the 'Treasure of the Sierra Madre' and I've just bought a new pair o'boots!

*(I know you calls 'em burns)

Rheghead
11-Jul-08, 23:36
The lodge hotel on the banks of Loch Shin has a nice bunk house that is reasonably cheap. Don't expect a riotous night in the nearby bar mind.

percy toboggan
11-Jul-08, 23:43
The lodge hotel on the banks of Loch Shin has a nice bunk house that is reasonably cheap. Don't expect a riotous night in the nearby bar mind.

Fortunately we don't no longer need to do 'cheap' on uz 'olidays Rheg, but thanks anyway..we're booked into a super little cottage to the east.

As for 'riotous' nights...we're up for the odd one but sadly they elude us these past two or three years. Not bothered though.. as we've twenty Catherine Cookson dvd's to bring up wi' us. If they're as good as the one we watched tonight - who needs a riot anyway!? I predict a cheese butty and cup of tea late doors.:roll:

_Ju_
12-Jul-08, 07:31

That is true. The fish is spectacular. So fresh it hops from the frier into the box!
I wish they did grilled fish.