PDA

View Full Version : William Calder and Katherine Swanson

Robbie
10-Jul-08, 21:12
Hi folks, sorry it's been a while since I've posted on the forum. I ended up chasing my Kane paternal lineage in ireland...oh what great fun.

I'm now turning back to my brick walls. The main one being William Calder and Katherine Swanson of Dunnet, Wick. They had at least 1 son William Calder, born in 1792 (30/9/1792 to be exact). I was ready toleave this perticular brick wall alone seeing as I've spent an absolute fortune on it, but on Genesreunited, I found what could be a link, but the other party has no information, just names and guessed dates. By my calculations, William Calder was born in 24/7/1767 to a Donald Calder and Margaret Sutherland. Katherine Swanson was born in 1754 to a George Swanson and Catherine Dunnet, baptism date was 2/6/1754. I got these dates from scotlandspeople and I think I've fitted them nicely into my tree.

Anyways, my contact on genes has William Calder and Katherine Swanson down for dob's 1731c, with a number of children, but with guessed dates. I was wondering if anyone here would be able to help me at all with my wee conundrum. The childrens names I've got from my contact is Donald Calder c1788, James 1751c, Katherine 1754c, Alexander 1756c, John 1761c, William 1782c (I think this is my William dob 1792) and finally George Calder, c1785. Everyone, according to my contact, is from the Wick region.

I appreciate I'm probably being a pain inthe arse, but I thought I'd try every rseource before I once again, give up on this brick wall.

Many Thanks.

Rob Kane

Rosemary Skea
11-Jul-08, 06:54
Hi folks, sorry it's been a while since I've posted on the forum. I ended up chasing my Kane paternal lineage in ireland...oh what great fun.

I'm now turning back to my brick walls. The main one being William Calder and Katherine Swanson of Dunnet, Wick. They had at least 1 son William Calder, born in 1792 (30/9/1792 to be exact). I was ready toleave this perticular brick wall alone seeing as I've spent an absolute fortune on it, but on Genesreunited, I found what could be a link, but the other party has no information, just names and guessed dates. By my calculations, William Calder was born in 24/7/1767 to a Donald Calder and Margaret Sutherland. Katherine Swanson was born in 1754 to a George Swanson and Catherine Dunnet, baptism date was 2/6/1754. I got these dates from scotlandspeople and I think I've fitted them nicely into my tree.

Anyways, my contact on genes has William Calder and Katherine Swanson down for dob's 1731c, with a number of children, but with guessed dates. I was wondering if anyone here would be able to help me at all with my wee conundrum. The childrens names I've got from my contact is Donald Calder c1788, James 1751c, Katherine 1754c, Alexander 1756c, John 1761c, William 1782c (I think this is my William dob 1792) and finally George Calder, c1785. Everyone, according to my contact, is from the Wick region.

I appreciate I'm probably being a pain inthe arse, but I thought I'd try every rseource before I once again, give up on this brick wall.

Many Thanks.

Rob Kane

If you go to FREEREG, you will find the Dunnet Old Parish register births at no cost to you Rob. You will find James, KAtherine, Alexander, and John born to Wm Calder and KAtherine Swanson in Dunnet - not in Wick. There is also Donald 1788, William 1792 and George 1795 also born to a Wm Calder and Kath Swanson in Dunnet but I would think a different family as I do not think that Kath would have born children over a period of 44 years.

Rosemary

cuthill
25-Aug-08, 21:20
If you go to IGI you can confirm these dates

James Swanson b 30/07/1751 dunnet
Katherine swanson b 05/05/1754 dunnet
Alexander swanson b 22/08/1756 dunnet
John swanson b 23/04/1761 dunnet
and all the children were christened on the day of there birth except John,he was christened 24/04/1761
There is also another 2 children William b 30/09/1792 and george b 05/07/1795 but i think it must be to another william calder and katherine swanson

cuthill
25-Aug-08, 21:34
Ignore my last post as according to the dates you have you are looking for the 2 children at the bottom of my last post.

William Calder b 30/09/1792 dunnet
George Calder b 05/07/1795 dunnet

fja
31-Aug-08, 09:49
Hi Rob
William Calder & Kath Swanson are my 4th G Grandparents. Sadly I have not got any further back on them but do have a lot of info on their son Donald 1788 - 1876. Donald married Margaret Nicolson and I have info on their family. Out of interest what is your connection?

Fiona