PDA

View Full Version : Parsley for dogs?

Mother Bear
08-Dec-05, 20:04
Am I correct in thinking that one remedy for 'garlic-breath 'is to eat a sprig of parsley? Does this specifically take the garlic smell away, or just make the breath smell sweeter anyway? I was wondering if this would work for dogs?
A lot of dogs do suffer from 'dog-breath', despite there being products on the market to deal with this problem! I have given our dog some parsley in with his meal tonight...he didn't object, surely he cannot come to any harm from parsley?...even if his breath doesn't smell sweeter!!

_Ju_
08-Dec-05, 20:14
Parsley is not a problem for dogs, though I wouldn't count on it doing much for his breath. I think though if you add larger ammounts of parsley he would refuse it.
Have a look in your dogs mouth, at his teeth and gums. If he has alot of plaque ( yellowish to grey stone like matter, usually around the base of the tooth), retracted and very red gums with a swollen edge or bleeding gums, then there you have the source of the problem. Halitosis is a much bigger problem in smaller breed dogs. The treatment is to get his teeth cleaned and try to maintain it by brushing his teeth with an animal toothpaste (NOT HUMAN). This can be very difficult, but there the animal specific products tend to be accepted quite well by most.

Good luck!