PDA

View Full Version : Things to do for kids??

Kathy@watten
10-Jul-08, 16:31
OK we are well into the Summer hols and I am now needing some mid week ideas for stuff to do with the kids that doesn't involve much expense or running around in the car ...any ideas out there? ps kids r 8 and 3!

jings00
10-Jul-08, 18:30
Ormlie Community (Thurso) have another three days of summer workshops on...15th, 16th, 17th July..give em a fone on 01847 891789 if you are needin more info on it.....
(also a wee bit on "recommendations" )
:-)

danc1ngwitch
10-Jul-08, 18:40
out looking at insects, spend the afternoon enhancing their imaginations .;)

KCI
10-Jul-08, 19:16
Trips to beach - make a day of it, with a picnic and outdoor toys. Collect shells, and use them to make a collage later
Trips to forest - take a picnic again, bark rubbings, collect leaves etc, make a picture with them later.
Dressing up
Baking
Tent in the garden
Different project every day - learning about different things like butterflies, birds, trees etc.
Painting
Drawing
Make birdfood cakes etc
Board games
DVD's
Swimming
Make homemade playdough with different colours and smells
Make some photo frames with shells from the beach - could be used as presents.
Paddling pool in the garden
Make a flower patch or veggie patch in the garden, and let the kids plant things
Get the kids involved in gardening, maybe make a rockery or something - doesn't have to be expensive
Invite their friends around, so they can all entertain each other and you just have to referee!
Trip on the bus or train - different from the usual car trips
Make up some kind of treasure hunt

changilass
10-Jul-08, 19:23
KCI they only have just over 5 weeks left of their holidays, no way you can fit all that in :lol:

Fantastic ideas

KCI
10-Jul-08, 19:37
Sorry - sometimes I get a bit carried away!

Another idea is to have a look at the Baker Ross website. It is brilliant for arts and crafts ideas, and the kids love them. They are fairly cheap, and there is a lot of choice.

And you could have a go at making a puppet theatre, and some puppets - kids always love that.

Paper Mache is always popular as well.

OK - I'll stop now! :eek:

carasmam
10-Jul-08, 23:04
KCi - I was going to say your lot will be glad to get back to school, I was knackered just reading all that lol :lol:

sweetpea
10-Jul-08, 23:16
Has anyone ever done an inventory because I've got another 20 ideas[lol]

KCI
11-Jul-08, 09:20
KCi - I was going to say your lot will be glad to get back to school, I was knackered just reading all that lol :lol:

Yup - that's the plan! ;)

Kathy@watten
11-Jul-08, 09:55
Thanks all for input, have looked into some pre arranged activities for the boys and we already do crafts and stuff here was kinda looking to de hermitise them a bit during the hols so they see some other kids outwith their own patch....think I am sorted now....please let the sun shine!:D

dirdyweeker
11-Jul-08, 19:10
Also check the 'whats on' on here as the Rangers have lots of activities for children. Free swimming at the Wick Pool from 8am to 4pm every Thursday for 5 to 16 year olds.

stekar
11-Jul-08, 21:07
Scotrail have a promotion for upto 2 kids travel free with a paying adult.

Only problem is, it doesn't include peak periods which rules out the first two trains of the day out of Wick or Thurso.

Kathy@watten
12-Jul-08, 22:03
Ok tomorrow is by tradition the only day my hubby takes off work so I am looking for something we can all do tomorrow...together for a change! any bright ideas or does anyone know of a something that is on tomorrow in Caithness or nearbyish? Needs to suit both adults and kids ...am open to suggestions!:)

Kevin Milkins
12-Jul-08, 22:08
I think there is a car boot sale at Castletown tommorow.

highlander
12-Jul-08, 22:12
When we get the chance to go somewhere i like to go to murkle beach or forest walk, take a picnic and chill out together, told hubby i would like to go back to Mary Ann cottage in Dunnet, or St Marys chaple in forss, maybe some folk would think i am boring but now and again its nice to chill out. LOL(laugh out loud)

highlander
12-Jul-08, 22:14
Forgot to say why i like murkle beach, its to look for groatie buckies.

loobyloo
12-Jul-08, 22:23
Dunbeath Strath is fabby, if the weather is in it. Take a picnic. Kids love it up there. Loads of old ruined buildings to tell them stories about.

pulteney person
12-Jul-08, 22:32
Pulteneytown People's Project Summer Club has had 48 children per day attending and will be into its 3rd week on Monday. Children from P1-S2 have been taking part each day with children from Wick, Thurso, Keiss, Lybster and Watten taking part. They have already had a day trip to Landmark Activity Centre at Carrbridge with 85 people attending, day trips to Dunrobin Castle, Caithness Summer Fruits, Balmore Animal Centre, Playpark trip visiting playparks at Halkirk, Ormlie, Watten, Lybster and Haster, Dunnet beach and forest, puppet workshop, badminton and pool competitions, arts and crafts, nintendo ds, wii and playstation 2, dancing and toys and games. Next week sees another chance to visit Dunrobin Castle, Caithness Summer Fruits and Balmore Animal Centre as well as a Pirates of the Carribean theme day with barbecue. The club is based in Wick High School from 8.45-5.15. There are limited places available. The club is in its 5th year and is run by qualified staff.

Kathy@watten
12-Jul-08, 22:39
Peoples project stuff sounds good how do you get in on this...do you have to be from Wick or is it open to non residents?

pulteney person
12-Jul-08, 22:48
PPP is open to anyone from anywhere. You have to register but can do that at Wick High School. Previous post was unfinished but has been edited - check it out.

KCI
12-Jul-08, 23:31
The PPP club is very good, and the kids love it. ;)

ywindythesecond
13-Jul-08, 00:19
Dunbeath Strath is fabby, if the weather is in it. Take a picnic. Kids love it up there. Loads of old ruined buildings to tell them stories about.
Agree loobyloo, Dunbeath Strath is great. But how about going to see the Men of Mey, Scotlands Haven, and having afternoon tea at The Tea Cosy.
Perhaps buy something from their craft selection.
Not connected, just impressed.

topotheuk
13-Jul-08, 00:42
After the hectic day you had today, I'd send him out wi e kids and sleep all day!!

Bill Fernie
13-Jul-08, 01:29
Have you checked he Highland Council web site. There is list of things to do for youngsters througout the holidays for every area in Highland split into different age groups. See it at http://www.highlandactivities.org.uk/

STUDMUFFIN
13-Jul-08, 01:40
I have a field full of weeds that need killing. Just call it work expierence and i wont charge you for the honour