PDA

View Full Version : Orange light in the sky

maggie
09-Jul-08, 08:34
Early this morning, at 0035hrs to be precise, three of us, working on nights at the Caithness General, watched a bright orange yellow light travel across the sky. It went from north to south and moved quite slowly - at the speed of a helicopter or small plane. but we couldn't hear any aircraft noise. The light was very bright and much larger than normal aircraft lighting and not red or white, but red/orange/yellow, like a ball of fire. It passed soundlessly overhead and slowly disappeared in the distance, leaving us wondering what sort of craft it could have been. Any ideas?

candyfloss
09-Jul-08, 09:44
Maybe it was a comet Maggie, not sure if theres are about just now :cool:

JamesMcVean
09-Jul-08, 09:48
Maggie

What was the size and shape of this thing? Was it a ball? Any other details?

I am only interested coz I saw a similar thing bout 30yrs ago in orkney
mine was red and there was two of them...

Cheers

James

Metalattakk
09-Jul-08, 10:17
Was it one of these (http://www.mlepyro.co.uk/firelantern/)? They are all the rage these days.

maggie
09-Jul-08, 10:17
It was difficult to make out a definite shape as it was so bright, a blob
rather than elongated. I felt it was maybe quarter of the size of the moon.
Going too slowly for a comet or shooting star. Thought originally it may be
something on fire, but if so it would have come down and not just disappear
into the distance.
Maggie

Solus
09-Jul-08, 10:24
could have sworn that was posted by bill and not maggie ? or am i seeing things ?

maggie
09-Jul-08, 10:32
:lol: That's what happens when you flit between computers. No, Bill was well tucked up in bed, I expect!

Kenn
09-Jul-08, 18:20
Just a thought, may be another piece of space junk burning out or a meteorite.

Alice in Blunderland
09-Jul-08, 18:27
Its that Saveman hes not getting any younger these days.

He used to pass in a flash of light now he just floats in an orange glow :lol: :lol:

rfr10
09-Jul-08, 18:37
Has anyone noticed it get dark all of a sudden? And very very very colddddddd? ;) Ok.. that's my bad attempt at being funny.

George Brims
09-Jul-08, 19:07
Most likely this was a large meteorite burning up as it entered the atmosphere. I have seen one like it. Depending on its angle of travel and how high up it is when it lights up, a meteorite can appear to move quite slowly. It's all a matter of perspective, and also the tendency of the brain to assume it's close because it's bright. The one I saw (while driving home one night) happened to be caught on video as the cheerleaders and band were holding a big rally on our campus sports field that evening. It shattered into a shower of pieces eventually, so it was quite spectacular.

Saveman
10-Jul-08, 13:12
Its that Saveman hes not getting any younger these days.

He used to pass in a flash of light now he just floats in an orange glow :lol: :lol:

OK you got me...it's a fair cop

the future's bright......

trix
10-Jul-08, 16:57
well, ye know 'iss.....

i seen 'e light in 'e sky an ye know what i think it wis?

early on 'at day i wis ironin in ma back gairden an i seen a scorrie trapped in some razor wire stuff up high.
e poor thing wis completely stuck so i foned 'a birdy people an a wifie came roond.
it wis a bit o' an operation til get 'e birdy free cos it wis up high, so til cut 'e story short, she got 'e birdy doon an went off wi'ed in a box.
i asked her what wid happen til 'e birdy an she said she wid take it til 'e vet an if 'e vet could save it he wid, but if no he wid hev til put 'e birdy doon.

i choost so happend til look oot ma window later at night before goin til ma beid an a saw 'e lights ye saw maggie.

i honestly thought (an still do) that 'e birdy never made'ed an 'at wis him on his way til heaven.....

at wis his way o' sayin thanks for savin him...

'ats ma take on'ed anyway...am convinced ;)

maggie
11-Jul-08, 00:33
Well,Trix, until I saw your post I was with George on this one. But now you've convinced me. It must have been that scorrie on its way to heaven.

dandod
11-Jul-08, 01:04
the sun[lol]

George Brims
11-Jul-08, 18:01
I don't knwo what Trix is drinking, but pour me one!

scorrie
11-Jul-08, 19:36
early on 'at day i wis ironin in ma back gairden

Ironin e gairden? Yer gress must be bonny an' flat trix!!