PDA

View Full Version : PSYCHIC FAIR - Sat Royal Hotel???what do you think

edayhouse
08-Jul-08, 15:02
Anybody been to anything similar in the Royal Hotel? Phoned up woman today and she said for a basic reading it would cost £30 for a more in depth reading £50 - am i wasting my money or has anyone been to them and know that they are good?

Julieanne & Yvonne are the women that are doing the readings.

x

A_Usher
08-Jul-08, 16:29
That seems a lot of money in my opinion, cant see how that is justified.

A.

Thorfin
08-Jul-08, 16:47
This sounds interesting which Saturday is it on?

Rheghead
08-Jul-08, 16:48
You are wasting your money unless you are just want the experience of going and the atmospheric experience of a reading. Don't take any notice in what they say. My OH did a bit of card reading and palmistry and all her clients went away feeling great about themselves but she told them a load of rubbish and just expanded on her training. Some even came back for more!

I was recruited to take part in the psychic circuit a few years ago because all my planets were in the water constellations at the time of my birth, a sure sign of clairvoyant ability. However, I would be hypocritical if I went into it because of my scepticism.

teenybash
08-Jul-08, 16:59
Would steer clear............very expensive for very little

white arrow
08-Jul-08, 20:33
Anybody been to anything similar in the Royal Hotel? Phoned up woman today and she said for a basic reading it would cost £30 for a more in depth reading £50 - am i wasting my money or has anyone been to them and know that they are good?

x

Hi Caithness Spiritual Centre are holding a psychic fayre at the end of august, The mediums that are coming to that are not charging as much as £30 to £50 a reading.
I have just contacted Royal Hotel and they know nothing about it.
Where is it advertised?

Sun Circle
08-Jul-08, 21:02
Hi Caithness Spiritual Centre are holding a psychic fayre at the end of august, The mediums that are coming to that are not charging as much as £30 to £50 a reading.
Where is it advertised?

Hi, White Arrow

I wonder if you can fill me in - what exactly goes on at a psychic fayre? I'm quite tempted to go along to the one that the Caithness Spiritual Centre are holding at the end of August, but to be honest I'm a bit shy and don't really know what to expect... what kind of things are there apart from private readings?

Sun Circle

danc1ngwitch
08-Jul-08, 21:07
I cannot bare to think people pay this amount of money for such readings. I suppose they have to make a pound or a million.

TBH
08-Jul-08, 21:14

xYou are wasting your money.

Where is it advertised?What is not as much as that, how many shekel to be duped by a charlatan?

TBH
08-Jul-08, 21:18
You are wasting your money unless you are just want the experience of going and the atmospheric experience of a reading. Don't take any notice in what they say. My OH did a bit of card reading and palmistry and all her clients went away feeling great about themselves but she told them a load of rubbish and just expanded on her training. Some even came back for more!

I was recruited to take part in the psychic circuit a few years ago because all my planets were in the water constellations at the time of my birth, a sure sign of clairvoyant ability. However, I would be hypocritical if I went into it because of my scepticism.You're a scientist, did you not see something wrong in your wife telling these people a load of lies. I hope she didn't charge.

Rheghead
08-Jul-08, 21:25
You're a scientist, did you not see something wrong in your wife telling these people a load of lies. I hope she didn't charge.

That was before I entered science. It isn't lies, its a performance. She didn't charge but I would have had no objection to if she had, we need to put bread on the table like everyone else. My main concern is people being so gullible that they sucomb to all the crock. I have no issue with people charging for these services so long as their clients know it is all tripe.

white arrow
08-Jul-08, 21:27
Hi there will be stalls selling crystals, jewellery, incense, candles and various other stalls. There is also spiritual and reiki healing and aromatherapy and reflexology. Mediums doing readings.
You just come along and walk about and if you want to either have a reading or look at the various stalls it is up to the individual. The committee from the centre will be there if anyone wants to ask any questions.
Tea and coffee will be served.
The money made from the fayre is going to Macmillan Nurses and othe small donations to local charities.

Sun Circle
08-Jul-08, 21:44
Thanks, White Arrow. That sounds really interesting - I'll definately pop in.

Sun Circle

trix
08-Jul-08, 22:16
Phoned up woman today and she said for a basic reading it would cost £30 for a more in depth reading £50

i think 'ats really expensive....

i read tarot cards, no so much for 'e public but for masel an ma pals. wid charge a tenner maybe but no ma close pals, they choost take roond a bottle o' wine an we make a nite o'ed :D

i hev in 'e past charged people 20 kwid but they had been more than willing til pay.

i got charged 50 reids for ma regression session so i guess if i wis til go professional i widna feel bad for uppin ma price.

i do think that if ye were professional ye wid hev til charge at a professional level or people choost widna take ye serious...

the_count
08-Jul-08, 22:20
hmm 30 quid for a psycic reading i wonder if she can tell me if i will go or not lol :lol:

Metalattakk
08-Jul-08, 22:29
Oh, come on peeps, this was all discussed and dismissed summarily only a few months ago.

Self-proclaimed 'psychics' are charlatans, only in it for the money they can make out of the gullible, the grieving and the blatantly stupid.

Derren Brown has categorically proven how they 'do it', and in the last 'discussion' we had on here, the techniques these charlatans used were discussed widely.

I'll give you two links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forer_effect

Read up on it, and give these scurrilous thieves none of your hard-earned cash.

Please.

trix
08-Jul-08, 22:34
Oh, come on peeps, this was all discussed and dismissed summarily only a few months ago.
Please.

mettalattakk....am sure yer no forgettin aboot our newbies...?

some hevna been aroond for as long as ye....yer no bein very hospitable....!

ok, ye da agree wi 'e whole psychic concept, we get it....but there is no need til be rude....

oh blimey, anither bad rep fie 'e metal man comin ma way, am sure :roll:

Metalattakk
08-Jul-08, 22:38
mettalattakk....am sure yer no forgettin aboot our newbies...?

some hevna been aroond for as long as ye....yer no bein very hospitable....!

ok, ye da agree wi 'e whole psychic concept, we get it....but there is no need til be rude....

oh blimey, anither bad rep fie 'e metal man comin ma way, am sure :roll:

Not at all trix. What you deem rude, I deem rather understated, to be honest.

I hope to convince our newbies that this Psychic Fair bunkum is exactly no more than that, and they'll maybe even thank me for helping them see sense.

That is the hope, and the reason for my posting on this subject.

Oddquine
08-Jul-08, 23:02
I'm ambivalent about psychics. Not convinced enough to pay for readings...........but heard too much about psychic revelations/happenings within my own family to dismiss it all out of hand.

Solus
08-Jul-08, 23:29
I once was very dismissive of this sort of thing, but many years ago I was taken along to a evening of readings etc sat down with a woman and me being me answered with yes no answers. I thought to myself I am going to give nothing away what so ever ! What happened over the next 20 minutes or so made my hair on my neck stand on end, firstly she brought up my job, described many things about it, the type of work , the enviroment in which i worked etc. Now i had not told her what i did during this, and waited until she had finished before telling her what i did.

She then went on to describe a man standing behind me, very accurate description , even down to his foreign accent,build and looks, again she was bang on there.
She then told me other things to look out for in my house, which i did and she again was rather accurate, but the final thing was she said i had strong connections with a city in England. I disagreed, nope i said no family connections with England, but she pressed home that i had connections with this city and asked me to please follow it up and ask my own family, which i did. I was then told by my mother when i asked her that yes we did have a connection with that city and explained it to me.

so, how could she know these things, yes / no answers, and how can someone be so accurate ?

Further more i went back to her several times after that and told me many more things , she is a highly regarded where she comes from for being so accurate.

sweetpea
08-Jul-08, 23:33
I cannot bare to think people pay this amount of money for such readings. I suppose they have to make a pound or a million.

Anyone I know that does a good reading wouldn't ask for silver;)

Kevin Milkins
08-Jul-08, 23:50
As I put on the last post on this subject.
I made an appointment to go and have a sesion with a psychic and when I arrived ,and on time I found a note on the door."Closed due to unforseen circumstances".:roll:

teenybash
09-Jul-08, 00:13
Got to put my tuppance in...mainly because of MetalAttak...and he has certainly attacked the psychic world but, it is wrong to dismiss all as charlatans...........
I have worked, quietly and steadily, providing good people with 'readings' and I will continue doing so. I can honestly say, there are many folk here in Caithness and beyond who would verify I am not a fake and most of my clients come for further consultations and recommend me to others.
I 'read' for people the length and breadth of the UK and those who live outwith Caithness and Scotland, I cannot see therefore, how can I be 'cold reading' and I ask no questions about their lives....but I can still 'see' for them.
I should add I did not learn through the writings of others, to do what I do....I was born this way.
As to Psychic Fares, I was asked a number of years ago to provide readings when they first appeared in Caithness and whilst it may now be a different set of people who provide the facilities, at the time I was asked, those that were involved were certainly not 'genuine' and based on back then, I would advise anyone to be very careful before parting with such a large amount of money.

Bright Blessings

Metalattakk
09-Jul-08, 00:36
teenybash,

Take this any way you want, but:

Anyone who calculatedly profits from someone suffering the grief of a lost loved one is, in my book, a charlatan. And a sick one at that. Pretending to 'contact' the dead for these saddened people is utterly and incontrovertibly reprehensible.

If these 'psychics' were to do these readings for free, I'd be a lot less vociferous about the whole matter. But they don't. They make money out of grief and hopelessness (never mind ignorance and those who 'want to believe').

Dealing out a few tarot cards and making up some Barnum Statements for them is harmless enough, even if it is no more than deceitful.

Oddquine
09-Jul-08, 00:52
teenybash,

Anyone who calculatedly profits from someone suffering the grief of a lost loved one is, in my book, a charlatan. And a sick one at that. Pretending to 'contact' the dead for these saddened people is utterly and incontrovertibly reprehensible.

If these 'psychics' were to do these readings for free, I'd be a lot less vociferous about the whole matter. But they don't. They make money out of grief and hopelessness (never mind ignorance and those who 'want to believe').

Dealing out a few tarot cards and making up some Barnum Statements for them is harmless enough, even if it is no more than deceitful.

Are you talking about Psychics or Spiritualists, Metalattakk?

They're not the same thing.

trix
09-Jul-08, 00:59

ye cana tell someone that kens it all already oddquine....

ignorance and arrogance makes an amusing combination....albeit, a little limiting.

tell me metalman, how do ye get through life wi' such a narrow mind?

ye really do hev ma sympathys on 'at aine.

Rheghead
09-Jul-08, 01:38

I think they are the same thing. They both put on a performance to please their listener. Their performances may be different but they are both putting on an act. I'm happy that they are there though, we need these people to enrich the fabric of our society or it would be quite boring.

joxville
09-Jul-08, 01:40
Over the years so many highly paid scientists have debated whether there is such a thing as psychic phenomena yet if they had just waited until this forum debated it then they would have got a definitive result because according to Metalatakk it was 'summarily dismissed'.

Derren Brown is a showman, he's paid to dismiss those who claim to be psychic, to make his act look easy, yet it's taken him years to perfect and read people.

There are 'dodgy psychics' out there, same as in any field of selling goods or a service-the best sales people are those who can read others body language.

I've done many tarot and psychic readings and have never charged a penny and never will-I believe what I have has been given to me to help others.

Fran
09-Jul-08, 01:48
Are they at the Norseman in wick on Sunday?

trix
09-Jul-08, 01:52
aye they are. i saw a sign advertisin somewhere, or maybe seen it in 'e paper...

Metalattakk
09-Jul-08, 02:05

Either, neither or both. I'm talking about people ripping off the vulnerable, no matter the title.

ye cana tell someone that kens it all already oddquine....

ignorance and arrogance makes an amusing combination....albeit, a little limiting.

tell me metalman, how do ye get through life wi' such a narrow mind?

ye really do hev ma sympathys on 'at aine.

So because I strongly disagree with something, I'm classed as 'narrow-minded'? Get a grip, wumman.

Over the years so many highly paid scientists have debated whether there is such a thing as psychic phenomena yet if they had just waited until this forum debated it then they would have got a definitive result because according to Metalatakk it was 'summarily dismissed'.

Derren Brown is a showman, he's paid to dismiss those who claim to be psychic, to make his act look easy, yet it's taken him years to perfect and read people.

There are 'dodgy psychics' out there, same as in any field of selling goods or a service-the best sales people are those who can read others body language.

I've done many tarot and psychic readings and have never charged a penny and never will-I believe what I have has been given to me to help others.

Bully for you, jox. I still believe you're doing no more than filling people's heids with bulldust. I wonder at the damage to the vulnerable you are doing, and the deceit you are spreading. At least you're not charging them to fill their heids with false promises and utter lies.

trix
09-Jul-08, 02:19
So because I strongly disagree with something, I'm classed as 'narrow-minded'? Get a grip, wumman.

well, i do think ye are bein narrow minded because we are talkin aboot somethin that we hev no evidence that it dis or disna exist.

alot o' people are absolutly convinced aboot 'e whole thing due to personal experiences, least they hev somethin til go on, ye hev nothin, except ignorance...ie. lack of knowledge.

i may be 'ignorant' to the proper information as there is no solid evidence in psychic abilities yet, but im certainaly no 'arrogant' in thinkin that we'l never find oot.

its a shame that yer sight is so limited...

Metalattakk
09-Jul-08, 02:38
well, i do think ye are bein narrow minded because we are talkin aboot somethin that we hev no evidence that it dis or disna exist.

We have evidence that various techniques are used. Please read the links I posted earlier.

alot o' people are absolutly convinced aboot 'e whole thing due to personal experiences, least they hev somethin til go on, ye hev nothin, except ignorance...ie. lack of knowledge.

I have the learned judgement of many scientists and my own experience to go on. My knowledge is not impaired by wishful thinking, unlike yours it seems.

i may be 'ignorant' to the proper information..

Go on, suprise me again.

..as there is no solid evidence in psychic abilities yet, but im certainaly no 'arrogant' in thinkin that we'l never find oot.

If believing that so-called 'psychics' are charlatans (and stating so) makes me arrogant then fine. It's a bunnet I'll wear with pride.

its a shame that yer sight is so limited...

Yeah well, that's why god invented spectacles. Maybe an appointment at the optician is overdue for you, though. ;)

A_Usher
09-Jul-08, 08:59
Let me voice my opinion here, as i am as stated in several posts involved in parapsychology and have set up the Caithness Parapsychology Association.

I have examined many cases of mediums, card readers etc, and in the majority of cases there have been some cold readers, suggestion etc. HOWEVER ever once in a while you come across someone who has produced information that could not have been obtained through cold readings etc. The problem in those cases is having them reproduce this again and again, to outweigh probability in such exercises.

Now i am more than happy to conduct a study with anyone willing to participate with my group. We are not a group looking to penalise or out psychics, we are a legitimate group looking into the phenomena, and are impartial. I have tests, which are easy for anyone to do, which are double blind, which rules out cold reading etc, which take no time, and can look evidentially at the data.

I would be very keen to come to the Caithness Spiritual Church to conduct a session, chat about it etc, and perhaps we can glean some data beneficially to everyone on this forum.

So if you are interested, drop me a line, or call me on 0845 838 2791.

3of8
09-Jul-08, 11:41
The usual slanging matches have begun, again. I reckon a few people on this org ought to have a look at this link and adopt some of the ideas [disgust]

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4594696a1861.html

3of8
09-Jul-08, 11:46
Where is it advertised?

Hmm.

Caithness Spiritual Centre? www.caithnessspiritualcentre.co.uk (http://www.caithnessspiritualcentre.co.uk)

Or Caithness Spiritualist Church? www.caithnessspiritualistchurch.co.uk (http://www.caithnessspiritualistchurch.co.uk) .

Same people.... two ways of ripping you off? [disgust]

teenybash
09-Jul-08, 11:51
teenybash,

I take no offence with what you say and to a degree agree with the fundamentals of what you are saying..............there are those who deliberately prey on the grief of those who have lost a loved one.....I am not a Medium but, sincerely believe in the Spirit World and great care should be taken before consulting anyone....especially those who 'hit on' an area and then disappear.

You rant and rave because you are faceless and hide behind your metal mask but, your apparent anger reveals more than you realise.............

Blessings..........

Metalattakk
09-Jul-08, 12:11
I take no offence with what you say and to a degree agree with the fundamentals of what you are saying..............there are those who deliberately prey on the grief of those who have lost a loved one.....I am not a Medium but, sincerely believe in the Spirit World and great care should be taken before consulting anyone....especially those who 'hit on' an area and then disappear.

Sensible advice teenybash. I am no follower of the 'Spirit World', but each to their own I suppose. It just annoys me when people's emotions are used to profiteer so blatantly.

You rant and rave because you are faceless and hide behind your metal mask but, your apparent anger reveals more than you realise.............

Oh, spare me...:roll:

No, in fact, go on. Tell me more. What amazing insights can you glean from words typed on a screen?

Rheghead
09-Jul-08, 12:19
No, in fact, go on. Tell me more. What amazing insights can you glean from words typed on a screen?

LOL!, This will be good, I love it when a gauntlet has been thrown...

teenybash
09-Jul-08, 12:33
Sensible advice teenybash. I am no follower of the 'Spirit World', but each to their own I suppose. It just annoys me when people's emotions are used to profiteer so blatantly.

Oh, spare me...:roll:

I glean that you, are just as vunerable as the rest of us and I have just helped you prove there are techniques used by the unscrupulous, which you can add to your argument..........I threw you the bate and you have taken it and the proof of this is in your own words and I quote you..... 'Tell me more.'

Man of Metal, me thinks you are human afterall............:)

Metalattakk
09-Jul-08, 12:46
I glean that you, are just as vunerable as the rest of us and I have just helped you prove there are techniques used by the unscrupulous, which you can add to your argument..........I threw you the bate and you have taken it and the proof of this is in your own words and I quote you..... 'Tell me more.'

Man of Metal, me thinks you are human afterall............:)

Human? Me? Well...Duh.

Everyone has their vulnerabilities, of course, and those vulnerabilities can be exploited by the unscrupulous. That's what my input to this thread is all about. ;)

teenybash
09-Jul-08, 12:52
Touche......................................;)

danc1ngwitch
09-Jul-08, 16:55
i think 'ats really expensive....

i do think that if ye were professional ye wid hev til charge at a professional level or people choost widna take ye serious...
errr, most wouldna take u serious anyway.
The best things are free. x;)

trix
09-Jul-08, 17:09
errr, most wouldna take u serious anyway.
;)

ats where yer wrong....

whose gona pay 30 kwid an no take things seriously?

some people actually hev a talent for these things an want til help people.
obviously, breid hes til go on 'e table at 'e end o' 'e day....

i cana tell 'e future, am no psychic, however, i can offer guidence by readin the cairds.

its all til do wi sub conciouse messages bein relayed through cards....

ye either can or ye cana - i can :Razz

Kevin Milkins
09-Jul-08, 20:51
I followed this thread with interest last night and ended up having nightmares :(.
Although I have always considerd myself to be open minded about religion and the life after,I always need firm proof to convince me about aliens and fortune telling etc.
I have no idea why ,but I had the most disturbed night ever last night and to make it worse I was telling my wife over breakfast and she gave me a strange look.
When I ask what the look was about she explained that she opened the back door and a white feather blew into the house and onto the door mat.
She thought this to be a sign of bad news.
Anybody who can explain ? :confused

Aaldtimer
09-Jul-08, 21:32
..."She thought this to be a sign of bad news.
Anybody who can explain ?"...
Nah, just a Scorrie moulting on your roof!:lol:

teenybash
09-Jul-08, 21:53
I followed this thread with interest last night and ended up having nightmares :(.
Although I have always considerd myself to be open minded about religion and the life after,I always need firm proof to convince me about aliens and fortune telling etc.
I have no idea why ,but I had the most disturbed night ever last night and to make it worse I was telling my wife over breakfast and she gave me a strange look.
When I ask what the look was about she explained that she opened the back door and a white feather blew into the house and onto the door mat.

Nothing to be upset about but if you are a wee bit superstitious, it means an Angel is near..... a sweet thought...sleep in peace tonight...;)

Sun Circle
09-Jul-08, 22:07
ats where yer wrong....

whose gona pay 30 kwid an no take things seriously?

some people actually hev a talent for these things an want til help people.
obviously, breid hes til go on 'e table at 'e end o' 'e day....

i cana tell 'e future, am no psychic, however, i can offer guidence by readin the cairds.

its all til do wi sub conciouse messages bein relayed through cards....

ye either can or ye cana - i can :Razz

Trix is right, psychics have to eat, just the same as the rest of us. They peddle their wares like anyone else, and like any other purchase, "buyer beware!". So why shouldn't people pay for the services of a psychic, just in the same way we pay to hear musicians play music, or we pay taxi drivers for a lift to the airport. Its your money and your choice. MetalAttakk would chose not to, but others have every right to part with their cash if they so desire.

As for taking advantage of people who are bereaved - I don't know, MetalAttakk, whether you have lost a loved one yourself... its impossible to know how it feels until it happens, and everyone reacts in different ways.

My own story - after suffering the loss of someone very close to me, I grieved not for months, but for years and was in a very deep depression before I found some light. And yes, I paid for help. Not from a psychic, but from a counsellor. But really, what's the difference? If 8 sessions with a trained counsellor at £30 quid a session did the trick for me, then maybe £240 isn't too high a price to pay to lift yourself out of grief.

Perhaps others may find that paying a charlatan (or a "for-real" psychic) £30 to be told what they need to hear will give them some peace and move on. Its a small price to pay to make a big step forward out of the quagmire that grief can turn into.

By the way, I've never had a reading, and I doubt I ever will. I'm really not ready to find out what the spirits would say about me!

Sun Circle

trix
09-Jul-08, 22:39
Trix is right, psychics have to eat, just the same as the rest of us. They peddle their wares like anyone else, and like any other purchase, "buyer beware!". So why shouldn't people pay for the services of a psychic, just in the same way we pay to hear musicians play music, or we pay taxi drivers for a lift to the airport. Its your money and your choice. MetalAttakk would chose not to, but others have every right to part with their cash if they so desire.

As for taking advantage of people who are bereaved - I don't know, MetalAttakk, whether you have lost a loved one yourself... its impossible to know how it feels until it happens, and everyone reacts in different ways.

My own story - after suffering the loss of someone very close to me, I grieved not for months, but for years and was in a very deep depression before I found some light. And yes, I paid for help. Not from a psychic, but from a counsellor. But really, what's the difference? If 8 sessions with a trained counsellor at £30 quid a session did the trick for me, then maybe £240 isn't too high a price to pay to lift yourself out of grief.

Perhaps others may find that paying a charlatan (or a "for-real" psychic) £30 to be told what they need to hear will give them some peace and move on. Its a small price to pay to make a big step forward out of the quagmire that grief can turn into.

By the way, I've never had a reading, and I doubt I ever will. I'm really not ready to find out what the spirits would say about me!

Sun Circle

put 'at in yer pipe an smoke it mentalattakk :Razz

excellent post sun circle.....

white arrow
09-Jul-08, 22:39
Hmm.

Caithness Spiritual Centre? www.caithnessspiritualcentre.co.uk (http://www.caithnessspiritualcentre.co.uk)

Or Caithness Spiritualist Church? www.caithnessspiritualistchurch.co.uk (http://www.caithnessspiritualistchurch.co.uk) .

Same people.... two ways of ripping you off? [disgust]

The reason there is 2 web addresses at the moment is because we changed from church to centre, The other one which is church is getting or should have been removed. We are not ripping anyone of in any way. We believe that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.

white arrow
09-Jul-08, 22:41

Getting a white feather is not a bad sign it is just the angels letting you know that they are looking after you.

Metalattakk
09-Jul-08, 23:11
Interesting post, Sun Circle. However, I have some points about the things you posted:

I agree, people have the right to do what they want with their money. The problem in this case is that people are being hoodwinked into paying for something they want to believe in, rather than something which is real and tangible. Most of those who pay to go to one of these 'meetings' have no idea about Cold Reading or Barnum Statements. They believe, and want to believe that it's all true, and that these people are doing them a service.

The harsh reality is that it's all just a meaningless show.

Yes, I've lost people close to me. Maybe I have a stronger character than those who fall into depression, I don't know. Maybe next time I won't have. I suppose you're right - everyone reacts differently.

You consider that paying a 'psychic' money to lie to you - to tell you what you want to hear - to be the same as consulting a trained counsellor who will examine your psyche and state of mind, and respond and heal you accordingly, using tried and trusted methods? That's preposterous, to be fair.

A visit to a 'psychic' can only ever paper over the cracks.

danc1ngwitch
10-Jul-08, 18:42
Trix, i like reading ur stuff, but ur stuff becoming like the books u read.
The mind is a powerful thing, ( i turn my back and walk away ) .
If u dana have it weain, u'll never find it weaout.
Lowers my head and Grins, blessed be, x

scorrie
10-Jul-08, 19:44
Getting a white feather is not a bad sign it is just the angels letting you know that they are looking after you.

Seeing a white arrow used to be a sign of deliverance ;)

3of8
11-Jul-08, 00:23
The reason there is 2 web addresses at the moment is because we changed from church to centre, The other one which is church is getting or should have been removed. We are not ripping anyone of in any way. We believe that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.

I am a believer in spiritual matters. As you rightly say, I'm entitled to it.

I can understand that there may be an administration error in having two websites because of a name change. However, all you had to do was change the heading on the original site instead of setting up a whole new web site. It looks suspicious to even the most liberal of people. Like me.

I was pleased to find that there was to be a spiritual church in Caithness though I needed the nerve to go. After all, I didn't know what to expect. And the nearest one is in Inverness.

But the Caithness Spiritualist Church/Centre has been slated on this org over the months, at times unfairly I thought. Then I decided to do a little research after coming across your website, particularly the part on the site that said the leader Ros had finally gotten verification of certification as a Registered Spiritual Healer from the SNU (Spiritualists' National Union). That statement changed from SNU to Scotia (who?) after I made a phone call to the SNU to ask them if you were in anyway registered with them, especially as you quote them so much on the sites. Presumably they got in touch?

They (the SNU) also said that a spiritualist church service should not be charged for, but to have a collection plate passed around. Raffles and prizes demean the whole spiriualist experience and turn it into a side show that lowers the tone and that now, after the repeal of the fraudulent mediums act, a legal disclaimer -- announcing that the service and readings should be regarded as entertainment and that no medical, legal and financial advice is given -- should be read out before the service. Caithness Spiritualist Church/Centre don't do that, do they?

Spiritualism is a really grey area, I admit that, and there are charlatans ready to jump on the bandwagon and prey on the innocent, the gullible and the spiritually needy. But the way you have charged into setting up the church/centre and psychic fair without what seems a great deal of thought does not look, act or feel neither spiritual nor professional and leaves you open to ridicule from all and comments like this.

As I said at the top, I believe. But I also feel foolish for doing so when people behave as you do and I wonder if I really am being taken for a ride?

Thumper
11-Jul-08, 10:51
Everybody has the right to believe in anything they want to,what gives one person strenght to get through a difficult time may not give another the same,but if it works why not?I am a believer,I never used to be but a friend of mine took me to see a psychic/medium when I was going through a very difficult time,I went thinking "what a lot of tosh" , I came out a believer!There is no way on this earth that the woman could know what she told me,I hadnt told anyone,she didnt "lead me" in anyway,infact she shook my hand and straight away she gave me the name of the person that was causing me such hardtimes and why they were doing it!I was totally gobsmacked!I have been to see her a few times now and everytime I go she is spot on with her readings,she even knew when I told a wee fib!Now the thing is in EVERY "profession" we will come across people who are not as good as others,and people who actually havent got a clue what they are doing(look at some of the plastic surgeons who butcher people for instance) BUT if they are genuine why not use them to help?Oh and another thing,the person i saw was so good to me that she even refused to take money for it! x

white arrow
11-Jul-08, 21:00

I can understand that there may be an administration error in having two websites because of a name change. However, all you had to do was change the heading on the original site instead of setting up a whole new web site. It looks suspicious to even the most liberal of people. Like me.

I was pleased to find that there was to be a spiritual church in Caithness though I needed the nerve to go. After all, I didn't know what to expect. And the nearest one is in Inverness.

But the Caithness Spiritualist Church/Centre has been slated on this org over the months, at times unfairly I thought. Then I decided to do a little research after coming across your website, particularly the part on the site that said the leader Ros had finally gotten verification of certification as a Registered Spiritual Healer from the SNU (Spiritualists' National Union). That statement changed from SNU to Scotia (who?) after I made a phone call to the SNU to ask them if you were in anyway registered with them, especially as you quote them so much on the sites. Presumably they got in touch?

They (the SNU) also said that a spiritualist church service should not be charged for, but to have a collection plate passed around. Raffles and prizes demean the whole spiriualist experience and turn it into a side show that lowers the tone and that now, after the repeal of the fraudulent mediums act, a legal disclaimer -- announcing that the service and readings should be regarded as entertainment and that no medical, legal and financial advice is given -- should be read out before the service. Caithness Spiritualist Church/Centre don't do that, do they?

Spiritualism is a really grey area, I admit that, and there are charlatans ready to jump on the bandwagon and prey on the innocent, the gullible and the spiritually needy. But the way you have charged into setting up the church/centre and psychic fair without what seems a great deal of thought does not look, act or feel neither spiritual nor professional and leaves you open to ridicule from all and comments like this.

As I said at the top, I believe. But I also feel foolish for doing so when people behave as you do and I wonder if I really am being taken for a ride?

I am registered with Scotia Healers, I did take an exam and the Centre is also a member of Scotia. I take advise from people who are well qualified in running a church/centre. The mistake was made not by myself but the person that is doing the web site etc. Also that it is not law yet to state it is for entertainment only but when that law comes in we will advertise and announce that at meetings.
The mediums that come to visit our centre are registered with either Scotia or SNU. If you do your homework properly scotia exists. I would also like to add that SNU churches are run differently from Scotia.

The psychic fayre is for raising funds towards charities of Caithness. Also at the end of the financial year money will be donated to charity and the books will be available for the public to view.

TBH
11-Jul-08, 21:18
My advice is to not to waste money on these liars. Alll that will happen is you will go away with some general information that they have gleaned about you, from you and 30 shekel lighter in the wallet.[disgust]

linkside
11-Jul-08, 21:21
My advice is to not to waste money on these liars. Alll that will happen is you will go away with some general information that they have gleaned about you, from you and 30 shekel lighter in the wallet.[disgust]

TBH are you talking about the people that were mentioned at the start of this thread or others?

TBH
11-Jul-08, 21:36
TBH are you talking about the people that were mentioned at the start of this thread or others?I am answering the first post of the thread.

linkside
11-Jul-08, 21:42
I am answering the first post of the thread.
Thats what I thought thankyou, as sometimes usual in threads the main 'heading' of the thread has been lost and it goes off at a tangent.
The Royal Hotel were phoned earlier during the week and they had no knowledge of the 'fair'.

white arrow
11-Jul-08, 22:03

The centre accepts criticism and also input from anyone. As we are a new centre we will have teething problems and learn from our mistakes. We can only sort these hitches from people who attend or are interested in spiritualism. Please feel free to call me and have a chat.
If you are a computer wizard your input would be gratefully recieved.

TBH
11-Jul-08, 22:21
Thats what I thought thankyou, as sometimes usual in threads the main 'heading' of the thread has been lost and it goes off at a tangent.
The Royal Hotel were phoned earlier during the week and they had no knowledge of the 'fair'.If they had any psychic staff they would have know, surely.[lol]
With the repeal of the fraudulent mediums act these charlatans are going to have a very hard time avoiding prosecution if someone that feels they were duped by these people then decides to take legal action.
It has, since 1951, been illegal to charge for a psychic reading unless it has been advertised as or made clear that it is for entertainment purposes only.
In the past you will find that to get away with this some "psychics" will charge for the hire of the hall or whatever premises they are using rather than the psychic reading. This was a way for them to circumvent legal proceedings.
With the repeal of the fma in effect as of april this year it will be much easier to prosecute those that feed of the despair of the bereaved.

3of8
11-Jul-08, 22:48
I am registered with Scotia Healers, I did take an exam and the Centre is also a member of Scotia. I take advise from people who are well qualified in running a church/centre. The mistake was made not by myself but the person that is doing the web site etc. Also that it is not law yet to state it is for entertainment only but when that law comes in we will advertise and announce that at meetings.
The mediums that come to visit our centre are registered with either Scotia or SNU. If you do your homework properly scotia exists. I would also like to add that SNU churches are run differently from Scotia.

The psychic fayre is for raising funds towards charities of Caithness. Also at the end of the financial year money will be donated to charity and the books will be available for the public to view.

I had already done my research and found that Scotia was a name attributed to many different things such as Scotia Homes, Scotia Travel, Scotia Security and even Scotia Double Glazing! But the Scotia Healing Organisation website doesn't have your church/centre listed. Or is there another Scotia I've missed?

As regards the repeal of the Fraudulent Mediums Act 1951, in came into force in May 2008.

Like you, I've quoted from an SNU publication, namely their website:

Advice Issued by the SNU
Repeal of the Fraudulent Mediums Act 1951
Mediumship and Consumer Protection Law
Events held in Spiritualist churches where the general public are asked to pay an entrance fee, even though these may be a normal part of a churches’ programme of religious activities, are likely to be subject to the provisions of consumer protection law. As such we must ensure that the public is not misled into making payment to attend church events and that vulnerable people are protected.

If a member of the public were to attend an event, not knowing what happens, he might find the experience satisfying, disappointing or disturbing. If disturbed, taking this to its extreme, he might claim to have been psychologically damaged, he might consider a claim for damages! Therefore, to explain events and to warn vulnerable people, the SNU has issued guidelines and produced disclaimer notices.

From May 2008 the provisions of the Fraudulent Mediums Act 1951 were removed and mediumship came under consumer protection law.

Consumer protection legislation now protects people who pay to receive mediumship services. If payment is required then it must be explained what people are paying for and people must not be harmed by what they experience.

Whether the SNU and Scotia operate differently or not, surely the law of the land applies to both and all equally? Or is Scotland different? Correct me if I'm wrong.

TBH
11-Jul-08, 23:26
The repeal came into effect as of April 2008. The law as of 1951, way before the repeal, made it illegal to charge for psychic readings without advertising it as being for entertainment purposes only, that was the original law, dont pretend that you didn't know that White Arrow. The repeal makes it far easier for people to prosecute so-called psychics charging money for a service that has no basis in reality. The psychics cash cow has just left the building, hope you all saw that one coming?

skytalker
11-Jul-08, 23:53
Thank you for your comments with regards to the SNU - it is a matter that we will sort out with them ASAP. As for the matter fo entertainment we will make sure that future advertisements carry the warning after all we wouldn't like to be seen to breaking any laws. Your comments are much appreciated and as we are such a young Centre your comments are greatly received.

The Secretary
Caithness Spiritual Centre
email - admin@caithnessspiritualcentre.co.uk

TBH
12-Jul-08, 00:04
Thank you for your comments with regards to the SNU - it is a matter that we will sort out with them ASAP. As for the matter fo entertainment we will make sure that future advertisements carry the warning after all we wouldn't like to be seen to breaking any laws. Your comments are much appreciated and as we are such a young Centre your comments are greatly received.

The Secretary
Caithness Spiritual Centre
email - admin@caithnessspiritualcentre.co.ukIf you are doing this and advertising it as an entertainment then you are breaking no laws. Well done for sticking to the law.

skytalker
12-Jul-08, 00:09
The repeal came into effect as of April 2008. The law as of 1951, way before the repeal, made it illegal to charge for psychic readings without advertising it as being for entertainment purposes only, that was the original law, dont pretend that you didn't know that White Arrow. The repeal makes it far easier for people to prosecute so-called psychics charging money for a service that has no basis in reality. The psychics cash cow has just left the building, hope you all saw that one coming?

I notice TBH that until pointed out by 3of8 the matter of law is not something that you have thrown at us before. But you are correct we don't want to break the law all we want to do is to provide a service to those who want it.

kcurl100
25-Aug-09, 21:00
give up and take a good look at what u wrote every one believes in different things

mrjolly
25-Aug-09, 21:10

x a rip off lol. i will give you a reading for free:cool:

Alan16
25-Aug-09, 22:27
a rip off lol. i will give you a reading for free:cool:

I hear a women's voice... I'm sensing a name, something beginning with 'M'... 'Mu'?... 'Mo'?... 'Ma'?... 'Mum' it is 'Mum'... She is saying 'Why'd you never do any of the washing up?!'

That one was on the house.

sweetpea
25-Aug-09, 23:35

x

I don't believe in charging money to tell fortunes.

Fran
27-Aug-09, 00:17
At their last event in francis street club and the Scrabster hall, the Spiritua;list Church raised £879.41 for various charities, which is really good. I wonder how many will go to Jenny Barnes at their event in francis Street Club on friday 4 September.

©Amethyst
30-Aug-09, 23:09
I've got a friend who saw a 'Psychic' in the Inverness area. Apparently she was spot on... my friend wasn't charged nearly as much as £30, though.

IMO, if we were supposed to know our 'fortune' we'd be able to tell what was just around the corner.

crayola
30-Aug-09, 23:24
Does anyone know how much Alan16 charges? Go to him now before he goes to uni because he'll be a professional after he graduates and professional psychos can charge what they like.

Alan16
31-Aug-09, 00:02
Does anyone know how much Alan16 charges? Go to him now before he goes to uni because he'll be a professional after he graduates and professional psychos can charge what they like.

I'll charge whatever my psychic powers tell me to charge (worked out from how fancy your clothing looks and hence how much money you can afford to donate to the Alan trust fund).

You know if this keeps up I'm going to start believing I am studying psychics... :eek:

redeyedtreefrog
31-Aug-09, 16:02
What a rip-off!

crayola
01-Sep-09, 08:52
I'll charge whatever my psychic powers tell me to charge (worked out from how fancy your clothing looks and hence how much money you can afford to donate to the Alan trust fund).

You know if this keeps up I'm going to start believing I am studying psychics... :eek:
You are studying psychics already. :D

And I am well heeled. In both senses. ;)

katarina
01-Sep-09, 13:08
I don't believe in charging money to tell fortunes.

If some one is doing it for a living they need to charge. I would never pay £30 for one tho. Also if they can't get anything which sometimes happens, I don't think they should charge. After all, if you're not happy with the service in any other profession, you will get your money back (hopefully)
Look at it this way, if you have a talent you probably will make your living doing it, singing, painting, writing whatever. So why shouldn't psychics charge?
Of course there are charlatans as with anything else but Having been to five in my life time, three of them did not employ the methods MA implies. The other two did. I am very aware and I watch them more than they watch me.