PDA

View Full Version : Thatcher - At death's door?

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Dec-05, 12:50
My heart bleeds.

cullbucket
08-Dec-05, 12:56
Hope she doesnt die too quickly

DrSzin
08-Dec-05, 13:08
Gawd, and I thought I disliked her...

Where should she be buried? How about down a coal mine? Or in a crypt under a certain parliament building in Strasbourg?

If we ever join the Euro, we should put her head on the coins. Mmmm, such irony. And she always thought she was better than the Queen anyway...

hereboy
08-Dec-05, 19:01
Why all the animosity about poor Maggie?

If it wasn't for her all the Brits in the Falklands would be speaking Argentinian right now.

her persona may have been harsh and unforgiving - but there was nowt wrong with the basis of her ideology....

Sporran
08-Dec-05, 19:13
I don't think Maggie's quite ready to become maggot food just yet! She's too iron-willed for that, lol! ;) On the other hand, perhaps her old pal Ronnie Reagan is beckoning from that politicians' paradise upstairs......

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Dec-05, 19:31
hereboy, you're on the wind-up. Aren't you?

Rheghead
08-Dec-05, 20:22
I used to hate Margaret Thatcher with a passion but it is funny how the years can take the venom out of the memories of mass redundancies, high interest rates, Ulster troubles and Euro scepticism.

I strongly believe that any person in retirement (unless she is considered a criminal that is--grey area I admit :)) is entitled to health and happiness.

I hope she gets better and finds happiness in the aftermath of losing her husband.......I feel dirty now :(......... :)

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Dec-05, 21:13
As a friend said today - his words not mine:

"here's hoping you die an agonising death during the night coughing blood (like so miners did), feel lacerating pain (like so many Scottish soldiers did) and here's hoping your entire body falls apart (like so many of our communities did during your reign of terror).

But most of all here's hoping you can hear the sound of partying and cheering all over the land as the news of your death is reported. Many of us have waited twenty years to dance on your grave and kick over your tombstone. So go on, do us all a favour, and die ya wizened auld Tory boot."

SAMITCHELL7
08-Dec-05, 21:26
Be what she was and what she may be now, and what she did and didnae do ,Have you no respect at all she is 80 for goodness sake and a human being, she has family to. How would it do if someone had said the same about your mother, i dont think your words have any place on this message boards, no matter who they are about

krieve
08-Dec-05, 22:24
Did'nt she just feel faint and stay a night in hospital if so would'nt say was at deaths door.

Sandra
09-Dec-05, 00:09
Be what she was and what she may be now, and what she did and didnae do ,Have you no respect at all she is 80 for goodness sake and a human being, she has family to. How would it do if someone had said the same about your mother, i dont think your words have any place on this message boards, no matter who they are about

Here here, I agree.

Where's your compassion Pepsi Challenge!!!

Jeid
09-Dec-05, 00:23
i think some people have to remember the lack of compassion that was in the George Best thread. People are free to voice their opinion, if thats what they wanna say, then they'll say it

you don't have to agree with it

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Dec-05, 00:23
I ask you: Would she show you compassion? Thatcher was an elected tyrant, and would certainly shed no tear for you, I, or any other who opposed her. She would gladly stamp on your face. 6 inch stilettos too. A supporter of apartheid, a friend of Pinochet, she orchestrated that war in the Falklands to win an election! I shed no tear for this one.

angela5
09-Dec-05, 00:31
i think some people have to remember the lack of compassion that was in the George Best thread. People are free to voice their opinion, if thats what they wanna say, then they'll say it

you don't have to agree with it

Well said jeid, my thoughts exactly.

spurtle
09-Dec-05, 00:38
The mere fact that Maggie had been elected takes the label of tyrant away.She was elected by the British people for her views, whether you think those views were right or wrong she was not elected for pro-europe views or having a weak hand with the trade unions.She did the job the electorate voted her to do.I ,myself did not agree with most of her policies but as to use a quote from a "friend" in order to voice such visceral opinions I find quite insupportable.

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Dec-05, 00:39
Fair dues, I hear you, spurtle. However...

Fran
09-Dec-05, 01:17
whoever she is and whatever she did in her working life, she is someones mother, aunty and probably granny.......i hope she recovers and enjoys christmas with her family around her.

lizzie
09-Dec-05, 01:19
whoever she is and whatever she did in her working life, she is someones mother, aunty and probably granny.......i hope she recovers and enjoys christmas with her family around her.

yes fran that's very true i wish her well.

Jeid
09-Dec-05, 01:31
i love it, say something that is clearly the truth and someone disagrees. i think the reputation thing has become a bit silly :)

ben1234
09-Dec-05, 01:34
i love it, say something that is clearly the truth and someone disagrees. i think the reputation thing has become a bit silly :)IDISAGREE WITH YOU THERE JEID

Sporran
09-Dec-05, 04:53
I preferred John Major to Margaret Thatcher, but I do hope that she dies peacefully when her time comes.

hereboy
09-Dec-05, 04:59
hereboy, you're on the wind-up. Aren't you?

What? Are you not for privatisation, a free market economy and lower taxes?

Not to mention increased home ownership and raising the standard of living across the board.

and don't give me NUM either - as far as trade unions go labour did a pretty good job of distancing themselves from them too.

not saying she was without her faults - but she ushered in a new economic era and pulled britain up by its bootstraps.

yes, yes, she may be responsible for the demise UK manufacturing but that was inevitable anyway - unless you are all for british manufacturing to exist in sweat shops with people paid a dollar a day - thats the only way a lot of it would be competitive today - she was all for free trade markets in Europe and that is where globalization is taking us all today...

she was a visionary and had a backbone... and if she's nae weel- a bit of respect costs you nothing - thats what she thought was wrong with britain anyway - lack of moral fibre - so I guess you prove her point... :)

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Dec-05, 05:13
Quality. I like your style.

Anyway... Miners, steelworkers, Scots, Welsh, unemployed, under-privileged, public sector workers (who didn't have "real jobs"); not to mention the most disgraceful act of all... the sinking of the rust-bucket that was The Belgrano (crewed by conscripted teenagers) when it was 300 miles off and heading away from the Falklands.

Move over Satan, you're far too nice for that witch.

hereboy
09-Dec-05, 17:30
the sinking of the rust-bucket that was The Belgrano (crewed by conscripted teenagers).

I hardly think Maggie was responsible for how the Argies populated their navy - come on now....

flyfifer
09-Dec-05, 17:31

Here here. I didn't think folk in Caithness could be so cruel. Yes she is a human being and someones mother and grandmother. I recently lost my own mother and my heart would be broken if she had been spoken of on a message board by people who didn't even know her. Luckily her family probably won't be aware of these particular bitter individuals who have said these horrible things. Moderator, if there was ever cause to end a thread ..... And no I am not a Tory.

gwen
09-Dec-05, 18:56
I bet if you knew her and she hadn't been in politics you'd get on with her...

Politicians are the most hated people out there, but they're people - that's what we seem to forget.

lassieinfife
09-Dec-05, 19:08
Couldn't stand the woman ..... especially with what her party inflicted on Scotland and the NHS but I wouldn't wish her ill and i am ashamed to think that because of her politics that she is being wished all kinds of terrible deaths... come on show a bit compassion............. season of good will? I think not, how would you feel if it was your mum or gran?:confused:

angela5
10-Dec-05, 00:26
That's maggie home noo with a clean bill of health.
Hope you all sleep well for that.

DM
10-Dec-05, 00:46
I believe any woman that can produce a daughter like hers has a big reason to be proud. Being one of "Thatcher's children" i can't help but hate how the country turned out at the time but that's who we voted for and that's what we got! Glad to see her spawn is at least self deprecating.........and eats fish eyeballs......euch!!!!!!!!!

*wipes mouth*

scorrie
10-Dec-05, 00:58
Ahh, good old sentimentality. It never fails. No matter how bad anybody was, let them live to an old enough age and the bitterest critics will be teary eyed at the thought of their demise. That old chestnut will surface, somebody's son, daughter, mother, father, auntie's nephew's second cousin thrice removed will be trotted out and nobody should wish them any "hairm"

It was the same when Stalin died, old men who hated him with a vengance were shedding tears at the passing on of a "great" man.

Maggie is an auld pensioner herself now, what did she do in her lifetime to better the lot of her fellow pensioners? Longer waiting lists, less money, hypothermia. Apparently Maggie used to get by on four hours sleep a night, I sometimes wonder how she could sleep at all.

Vote Campbell, keep it Bagpipes 24/7/365

gleeber
10-Dec-05, 02:54
lol scorrie. Poor Maggie. I remember when she was elected in 1979 and the hopes that were hoped for by everyone. It was the same as the euphoria we saw when Labour walked it in 1997. She was a major influence on the world of her time and although my favourite picture of her is the tears she shed when she got booted outta power I will feel a wee bit sad when she dies.

Chillie
10-Dec-05, 04:04
I thnk you are all sick who down poor maggie, i spoke to her when she visted Wick some years ago very nice person and a great PM long live maggie.I wish she was still PM today, she would sort out this country after the mess Blair and new labour has made of it.

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Dec-05, 19:55
I wonder how long Thatcher had to wait in casualty for? Not as long as the others she condmened that's for sure. What's the name of the Elvis Costello song?

scorrie
11-Dec-05, 02:10
I wonder how long Thatcher had to wait in casualty for? Not as long as the others she condmened that's for sure. What's the name of the Elvis Costello song?

Tramp the Dirt Down

It's on the album Spike.

I am sure Maggie was totally and utterly sincere when she was in Caithness, unlike everywhere else she ever visited when she just put a face on it. Caithness folk are so special and so forgiving that politicians lose their normal false smile and break into a real beamer for God's own fowk.

Vote Campbell, keep it bagpipes 24/7

ps nobody noticed the 7/365 anomoly last time, Talk about wasted votes!!