PDA

View Full Version : man with 20 kids

binbob
08-Jul-08, 11:05
did anyone watch this disturbing programme on bbc 1 last night.
i was compelled to see it ,and can not actually beleive it.
i was upset regarding the neglect of the children and their living conditions.
i was even MORE upset when they moved house and casually abandoned their wee dog in the street.absolutely unbeleivable.
they get £27000 in benefits yearly and an awful lot of that went on cigs and booze.
they even forgot about a toddler who went wandering in the night as he had not been put to bed.
incredulous.

Moby
08-Jul-08, 11:09
Yep - came across this whilst channel hopping last night. Truly gut wrenching. The saddest fact is regardless of the number of children in a family this type of neglect is far more common than you think.

mccaugm
08-Jul-08, 11:11
Didn't watch it but it sounds very upsetting. Maybe this is a case where the pair of them should be sterilised for the good of their children and the economy etc. Controversial but going by the last post, very much needed. Imagine having so many kids you forget about them.

There was a story like this years ago where a woman in Skye had numerous children, however they were looked after and did not rely on the state to fund them. Think the husband was a church elder.

Standing joke was the wife being of religious stock was told by her doctor, that Jesus said go forth and multiply but not all by yourself.

justine
08-Jul-08, 11:18
Glad to say i missed it..Sonds like this family should have the kids taken away, but then we get back to the where do you stick them. I agree by the sounds of things this couple do need to be sterilised.
Its not easy being a parent of alot of kids, i know, but there is not reason to neglect them..can anyone who saw this be abit more seacific with details as i did not see it and am curious..what kind of ages were the children and so on...

binbob
08-Jul-08, 11:32
justine..the kids were age ranges from a young baby[a grandaughter] to 18 years old.the 18 year old girl did a lot around the house and cooking. mum and dad just sat around drinking and smoking,there were only 12 kids living in a 3 bed house..one son was excluded from school for 2 years.
they spent £2000 plus on christmas pressies!!they got loans from the dss..???their housing costs were all paid for.
one wee boy crawled over the table eating his dinner..the one they forgot to put to bed..
the kids were always in trouble with neighbours and police.social services had visited several times.
the husband at point had 3 women pregnant by him!
this was his 3rd wife...and some children from previous relationships were and had gone through the social services system.

most of the kids were smoking..and the father was sent to jail for his 3rd/4th drink /driving conviction,only for 4 weeks ,although the sentence was 16 weeks.
he said he had epilepsy..and did not want to remain an alcoholic.
he wanted more kids!!!the wife did not.thank god.

the dog was a pitiful sight when they abandoned it..........the chap had all of his kids names tatooed on his back.
i am sure it will be shown again soon.

justine
08-Jul-08, 13:03
cheers for that binbob, i cant believe it.Sounds to me like this nerd just wants the money and the title of being the man with themost kids.. I feel sorry for the oldest child as it seems she is mum to all. What i dont get is if the social services were well aware of the situation then why not stop it long ago...I understand how hard it can be but this guy is knocking them up willy nilly. Now i know some think that about many with large families, me included, but our kids are most certainly well looked after and neither myself nor hubby drink so they aint none of that. I do hope this is on again as i would love to see this. mainly because i dont understand why people have somany when they cant look after them.
I know i have lived with the stigma of peoples thoughts for years, but let them say it to me when they have met the kids ...I can say i would have stopped long ago if it had been hard to do, but i enjoy my parenting and my children are all special. I would love to be able to spend that on christmas , so would the kids.. but tough they get what they get and they appreciate it...

to me sounds like a complete deliquent, the father that is...maybe they should steralise him against his wishes, see what he thinks..

binbob
08-Jul-08, 14:44
justine..u are about a billion miles away from this family.everyone is entitled to have as many kids as they wish....but this man/woman do not have the intelligence or ability to support/care for these poor kids.
my grannny had 8 kids..2 did in infancy...money was tight ,but in those days,folk had to work...my grandfather was a gpo linesman and my granny worked in a jute mill ,in dundee.no state handouts then and they all grew up to work hard .
the sad fact is that these kids will all [well maybe most] go on repeating the behaviour of there parents.on and on it will go...
i will keep an eye open for any repeat of this programme..and let u know.
take care

Valerie Campbell
08-Jul-08, 15:57
Having 20 kids, does that involve love or lust on the part of the husband? The woman is not blameless - she could take contraceptive or work her cycle if she's against it. Social services do their best for families like this one but it's very much an uphill struggle. I know of a similar family - not as many as 20 kids though - in Paisley where they have benefits to live on, a house knocked together from 2 council houses and the dad spends his time in the pub while the mum is at the bingo. The girls - 4 or 5 of them - share the same jacket, so they have to time when they go out. What kind of future do these kids have?

sam
08-Jul-08, 16:17
justine..u are about a billion miles away from this family.everyone is entitled to have as many kids as they wish....but this man/woman do not have the intelligence or ability to support/care for these poor kids.
my grannny had 8 kids..2 did in infancy...money was tight ,but in those days,folk had to work...my grandfather was a gpo linesman and my granny worked in a jute mill ,in dundee.no state handouts then and they all grew up to work hard .
the sad fact is that these kids will all [well maybe most] go on repeating the behaviour of there parents.on and on it will go...
i will keep an eye open for any repeat of this programme..and let u know.
take care

I was brought up in a large family to and as you say back then folks went out and worked at whatever they could to support their kids, both my parents worked my dad doing two jobs, but in those days it was shameful to live off the state and there were very few who did.
I know there are some instances where folk are on the dole through no fault of there own but there sure are a hell of a lot who think its alright to claim off the state and have child after child to get the money when the children are left to run wild, this programme just highlights one family out of many, If they wont support their own why should the state just so they can lie on their lazy fat backsides smoking and drinking. [disgust] They should give them community service in return for their dole money it would make them think twice about going out to work.

Venture
08-Jul-08, 16:18
Here is a link to the programme on BBCi.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00cl893

Anne x
08-Jul-08, 16:44
I watched this programme last night and all I can say was I was horrified the poor kids they didnt even have sheets on there beds and the way the food or rather carryout was served omg
and then at the end the poor dog abandoned

I have nothing else to add as Id be here all night typing [evil]

dirdyweeker
08-Jul-08, 20:55
........but there was a lot of love among the family. When Dad went to prison the house fell apart and the children missed him so much it broke your heart to see them. I am not saying I agree with their views on such a large family but it was not all bad. The children are the ones to suffer but they obviously know no better. It also says a helluva lot that the oldest chose to stay at home and help out so much. She didn't look like she would rather be elsewhere.
I certainly was not in favour of them having any more.

TBH
08-Jul-08, 21:23
Glad to say i missed it..Sonds like this family should have the kids taken away, but then we get back to the where do you stick them. I agree by the sounds of things this couple do need to be sterilised.
Its not easy being a parent of alot of kids, i know, but there is not reason to neglect them..can anyone who saw this be abit more seacific with details as i did not see it and am curious..what kind of ages were the children and so on...Hitler would have been proud of you Justine. Are there many eugenicists in Caithness?

binbob
08-Jul-08, 21:32
Hitler would have been proud of you Justine. Are there many eugenicists in Caithness?

absolutely no need for thatcomment.

binbob
08-Jul-08, 21:36
........but there was a lot of love among the family. When Dad went to prison the house fell apart and the children missed him so much it broke your heart to see them. I am not saying I agree with their views on such a large family but it was not all bad. The children are the ones to suffer but they obviously know no better. It also says a helluva lot that the oldest chose to stay at home and help out so much. She didn't look like she would rather be elsewhere.
I certainly was not in favour of them having any more.

love...love..they forgot to put a teeny child to bed...the house fell apart [from its more usual chaos of boozed up dad ] as mum sat her backside saying i can not cope!!
the boy who was stealing the scrap for money also seemed to have stolen their very own water pipes..leaving them with no water ,which prompted the council rehousing them[why not just sort the pipes??] and they then abandoned the poor dog.love...i do not think so...i think some of their actions were for the cameras...

girnigoe
08-Jul-08, 21:43
Love?? If you truly loved and cared for your children surely you would spend your money on bedding, soap and decent food before cigarettes and alcohol for yourself!!!

I was absolutely disgusted by the programme and why social services hadnt intervened before is beyond me!!

TBH
08-Jul-08, 21:53
absolutely no need for thatcomment.What, someone proposing that someone be forcibly sterilized and you see no need for that comment, get a grip man.[disgust]

binbob
08-Jul-08, 22:01
What, someone proposing that someone be forcibly sterilized and you see no need for that comment, get a grip man.[disgust]

FEMALE..actually...and sterilising them both would be a great idea...but we all know about our civil rights...and just a shame the kids have to suffer.
no more to say to u on the subject.goodnight.sleep well.

angela5
08-Jul-08, 22:44
I agree by the sounds of things this couple do need to be sterilised.

Why:confused ?? You are saying u agree that this couple should be sterilised long before you even watched this programme.
From what i watched, these kids were not neglected, they were well loved, had a good christmas and a good meal, isn't that what all kids get.

What would you prefer Justine, a house of love and happiness or bringing your kids upn in a life of drugs.;)

TBH
08-Jul-08, 22:45
FEMALE..actually...and sterilising them both would be a great idea...but we all know about our civil rights...and just a shame the kids have to suffer.
no more to say to u on the subject.goodnight.sleep well.I can't believe what I am seeing. You are actually trying to defend eugenics.[disgust]