PDA

View Full Version : MILLER/HENDERSON Family

JHM1143
08-Jul-08, 03:56
Searching for any information of the children of John Miller, (born 1858, died before 1950) and Mary Ann Henderson, (born 1861, died 1954). Believe children were: William, Mary, John, Margaret, Alexander and Elizabeth.

Elizabeth was not married in 1954 when listed on Parish Death Registry for Mother. Either Mary or Margaret married a man with the name of Wylie and came to the USA and settled north of Chicago, IL. William and John, I have no clues. Alexander left for Canada after attending Miller Academy of Caithness (1899) and went into banking. He married Mary Kennedy and had a son, Alexander Kennedy Henderson. In a letter to the Miller Academy Alexander Kennedy Henderson mentioned having 3 children, Anne, Craig and Bruce. All were in Alberta, Canada at that time.

Bruce_H
08-Jul-08, 04:21
I may have news for you soon. Given the names you are probably talking about a branch off of my family tree that I am currently trying to refine.

Within a week or two (if I get good research time) I should have the lineage from James Henderson (born about 1774) and his wife Mary Sutherland (b Dec 1770 / d Oct 1865) fleshed out.

They had at least 5 children, William (1801), Donald (1807 - my line), Alexander (1817) and Robert (1821).

So far I have only traced William's line forward (besides Donald's). He Married Catherine Munro (1807) and had 8 children, one of which may be the parent of Mary Ann Henderson.

The only thing that dissuades me from thinking I might provide you with a hit is that you are looking in the Thurso area (I think) and my whole pile is around Berriedale. The mitigating factor for that is the big Herring boom during the 1800s caused some folks to move up north to Thurso and Wick for employment. I will respond once I know for sure one way or the other.

Bruce H

JHM1143
08-Jul-08, 16:48
Bruce, I had noticed your request for info for the Henderson family and the area did discourage me from writing you before posting this last message. I have the names of Mary Ann's parents -- they were Alexander Henderson (born about 1828 in Halkirk, married 25 Nov 1851 and died before 1911) and Margaret McKay, (born about 1832 in Olrig and died after 1911). Mayry Ann was the youngest of 4 (known) children, William, born abt 1851, Halkirk; John (my grandfather) born 1852, Halkirk, died 1926 in Montague Township, Muskegon, MI USA; and Alexander, born 1856, Banniskirk, died 1911 in Chicago, Cook, IL USA, and then Mary Ann, born 1861, Banniskirk and died 1954 in Thurso. Alexander died without issue, having married Margaret Banks of Collingswood, ON, Canada, in Chicago, IL.

If you had noticed a previous posting of mine for info on Alexander Henderson, you will see that I have another mystery there. That Alexander was born about 1874 and appears on the 1881 and 1891 Census as living with grandparents who were Alexander Lyall and Annie (nee Simpson). The IGI shows an Alexander Henderson being born to James Henderson and Margaret Lyall in that time period. Was my grandmother married before and had this child? She married my grandfather, John Henderson, about 1881 and they went to Canada where another child named Alexander was born in 1883. Why would the Lyall grandparents be raising a Henderson child -- did perhaps another daughter marry a Henderson?

On the 1881 Census Alexander was a student; 1891 he was a letter carrier. At one time the Thurso (or Canisbay) Post Office had an Alexander Henderson as postmaster. Later his daughter was postmistress. Same family?

Good luck with your searching and perhaps one day we will find out that we are cousins!

Joan Meyer

Bruce_H
08-Jul-08, 22:34
Wow Joan! Fantastic detailed information.

Thank you very much. In my hunt I am turning up quite a few Henderson that are not in my line, so any correlating information on any of them is a huge help.

Bruce H