PDA

View Full Version : Is Maturity age related or a state of mind.

teenybash
07-Jul-08, 00:09
I have often wondered what exactly is maturity and when does it happen.
Is it something that is based on your age, or life experience, something we aquire along lifes road, or is it something we are born with.
Anyone got a thought or maybe even the answer.........

Lord Flasheart
07-Jul-08, 00:44
I think you hit the nail on the head with the question really.

For me its a mix of all the things you mentioned like experiences, age, and the individual things we go through as human beings that all combine to make us mature or immature. Personally I would describe it as the realisation of recognising something for what it is, knowing the right thing to do, taking responsibility and being tough enough to see things through. And that only comes with time.

Im heading for 40 and I am mature in the things that matter in my life but I am completely immature in others. I like to think I have a good balance on it but like most things in life there really is no one answer. If you can deal with life's problems and still think breaking wind is funny then you are mature as far as I am concerned. Others would say that laughing at someone breaking wind is immature despite being mature in your other dealings.

Like most things in life its an individual thing specific to you.

*Parp* .. Hee Hee .. :Razz

Sapphire2803
07-Jul-08, 00:51
I agree, well I would. It was no more than an hour ago that we had a belching contest in our house. Oh, hang on, does belching count? :confused

oldmarine
07-Jul-08, 01:15
Is it something that is based on your age, or life experience, something we aquire along lifes road, or is it something we are born with.

Perhaps it includes all of those factors.

Oddquine
07-Jul-08, 01:57
My male offspring tends to tell me that I am 16 going on sixty.............though I suppose it will be seventy now.

I can be very mature in the right circumstances ...........but equally, I delight in embarrassing my children and grandchildren, just because I can. :o

I guess it depends on what you mean by maturity.

I've never quite understood the meaning, myself.

Big Jean
07-Jul-08, 04:38
My male offspring tends to tell me that I am 16 going on sixty.............though I suppose it will be seventy now.

I can be very mature in the right circumstances ...........but equally, I delight in embarrassing my children and grandchildren, just because I can. :o

I guess it depends on what you mean by maturity.

I've never quite understood the meaning, myself.

Have to say I agree with Oddquine .

However, when my Grandchildren are laughing at my foolishness, I am not too sure if it is at me, or with me .

joxville
07-Jul-08, 11:31
I'm 43 going on 18.:lol:
I don't want to 'grow up' even though I'm growing older. Maturity is just another word for experience, you learn to hide your mistakes better.[lol]

mccaugm
07-Jul-08, 11:48
Maturity is dependant on what you think personally. I don't want to be too mature as it makes me feel old. I like to mess about with my kids which makes me feel young. I am 37 by the way. Too old to be young and too young to be old!

bobandag16
07-Jul-08, 11:57
mature made me think of over ripe cheese. person must be age. iam a8 year boy in mind.but the birth certificate says 88 this year.

justine
07-Jul-08, 12:43
Well i am going with the state of mind on this. being brought up with the military and going to boarding school at the age of 5 i had to do alot of things for myself that most kids would have parents for.You grow up faster when you have to survive on your own..
We mentally mature as we age but children are a prime example of being mature well before their time simply because they have to..

Natural instincts provide us with the ability to mature quicker, but then it is up to us as we do get older on in life to make sure we act the way mature people are supposed to...

I am still working on that one, as i aint quite got that OH my god i should act more responsible being nearly forty..:lol:;)

Kevin Milkins
07-Jul-08, 13:18
My eldest son is 35 and often tells us to grow up.
When he got married we were invited down to Exeter to meet his inlaws.
I am not sure what there pre-concieved ideas of us they had , but they were shattered when we turned up on a Triumph Tridant 900 motor bike and clad in leathers.
I can still see them on the door step now with there jaw touching the ground.
Over the years we have got to know them and it turns out they envey our lifestyle but are not confident enough to do many of the unconventional things we do.
Grow up,(never)

Thumper
07-Jul-08, 13:24
I think its a state of mind,you dont have to be old to be mature,and you dont have to be mature(all the time) just because you are getting older.When I need to be mature I am,but you could just as easily find me out on the street with my kids playing water fights with all the kids in the street.x

Angela
07-Jul-08, 13:33
Maturity's a state of mind I think -but a state of mind you reach partly through experience of life. I'd say I'm mature and responsible about the major things, but I enjoy simple (childish!) things and just being plain silly as well.

In some ways I feel younger than I did 20 years ago - apart from the creaking body and senior moments that is! ;)

Some folk seem to be almost born with an unusual maturity -my younger daughter's always had 'an old head on young shoulders' -not just in comparison with her daft mother either, everyone has said so. :lol:

bobandag16
07-Jul-08, 19:24
Maturity's a state of mind I think -but a state of mind you reach partly through experience of life. I'd say I'm mature and responsible about the major things, but I enjoy simple (childish!) things and just being plain silly as well.

In some ways I feel younger than I did 20 years ago - apart from the creaking body and senior moments that is! ;)

Some folk seem to be almost born with an unusual maturity -my younger daughter's always had 'an old head on young shoulders' -not just in comparison with her daft mother either, everyone has said so. :lol:
stay daft mother have a good laugh they dont know
how much they are missing.

Tighsonas4
07-Jul-08, 19:41
Perhaps it includes all of those factors.
maturity???how does it come about or can it be acquired
life has got to be lived regardles theres things happen in life from which you think you will never recover
it may leave a scar but you have to pick yourself up and carry on most times we never know THANK GOD whats round the corner and take the good along with the bad. only way i made it anyway regards tony

Valerie Campbell
07-Jul-08, 19:44
I think it's down to life experience. Sometimes life hits you with something completely unexpected and you have to deal with it in the best way you can. As we get older, we cope slightly better than we did when we were younger. Next year I hit 40 but I feel no different from when I was 20. It's just I've learned a lot through what life has thrown at me. What's wrong with being young at heart? Have fun folks and enjoy life to the full, no matter what age you are. It's only a number after all.

domino
07-Jul-08, 19:44
Maturity is being what you are and acting accordingly

golach
07-Jul-08, 19:46
Anyone can seem to be Mature, but it is only with age and experience can one become wise. But the wiser the more aged become often leads to so called senior moments, I prefer to call them information overloads [lol]

Angela
07-Jul-08, 19:48
Perhaps being truly mature is knowing when it's fine not to be? :)

rfr10
07-Jul-08, 19:49
Personally, I'd say it's related to the way people are brought up. In a way, it has got to do with age. Some people don't mature very much by age though, others will be very mature for their age, usually if they are friendly with people quite a bit older than them. I tend to find people who have young parents, less mature than those who have older parents and now I think I'm beginning to talk rubbish so I'll leave it at that.

trix
07-Jul-08, 19:54
I Next year I hit 40 but I feel no different from when I was 20.

i feel completely different than when i wis 20 (am nearly 30)

much more mature.

i widna take half as much crap as i did when i wis 20.

iv less tolerance for idiots too....

silverfox57
07-Jul-08, 20:07
Personally, I'd say it's related to the way people are brought up. In a way, it has got to do with age. Some people don't mature very much by age though, others will be very mature for their age, usually if they are friendly with people quite a bit older than them. I tend to find people who have young parents, less mature than those who have older parents and now I think I'm beginning to talk rubbish so I'll leave it at that.
now thats what I would call a mature moment when we no when to stop:lol:

weeboyagee
07-Jul-08, 21:48
I am as mature as I was 20 years ago - or as immature as I was 20 years ago! :D:D

WBG :cool:

Valerie Campbell
08-Jul-08, 15:48
My parent's were older so maybe I just aged sooner Trix!!! Got the greys to prove it too... When I was growing up, I was surrounded by adults and was expected to act like an adult. I never really got the chance to have a childhood, and my close friends at school were all pretty mature for their ages. Maybe those who surround you have a bigger influence than you think. But next year, I'll regress, just for the hell of it...