PDA

View Full Version : Christmas School Disco Revival

Bobinovich
07-Dec-05, 22:58
Christmas School Disco Revival on Monday 26th of December (Boxing Day) 8:30pm Onwards in the Royal Hotel Thurso (click here for details (http://www.schooldiscorevival.co.uk))

A great opportunity to get away from the Christmas telly and dance off the Turkey excess to all your favourite tunes from the 60s,70s,80s & 90s whilst enjoying a few drinks and good crack.

There will be a raffle on the night for a Hamper of Alcohol plus various other prizes. Everyone 18 years and over is welcome. Admission is £3 - just pay at the door (No tickets required). All profits go to local charities

So dont be a couch potato get yourself and your family &/or friends out and about and continue in the festive spirit!

Sideshow Shug
13-Dec-05, 15:42
Do a lot go to this type of thing
i quite fancy it, make a change from usual stuff on

Gogglebox
18-Dec-05, 13:33
Sorry for delay in replying

Usually good crowd

Last Christmas it was mobbed so if you are going best to get fairly early

Its a good night and usually enjoyed by all plus hopefully a few extra Christmas surprises on the night

Definately worth a visit only £3 to get in and all for good causes

So come along and bring as many friends as you can

Bobinovich
18-Dec-05, 23:54
Yup there's usually a good crowd but this'll be my first Christmas one - by all counts last years' was hoachin'.

My other half and I are lookin' forward to it and we're draggin' out some friends as well. After having such a 'kiddie' oriented day this is US time! :D

Gogglebox
23-Dec-05, 18:25
Hoping for a good crowd
Not a lot else on in Thurso on Boxing Day

Come and enjoy yourself

Bobinovich
26-Dec-05, 18:33
Just a quick reminder for anyone looking for something to do tonight that the last School Disco Revival of 2005 is on at the Royal Hotel from 8.30pm. A great way to work off some of the grub we've been stuffing our faces with the last couple of days!

See y'all there!

Sideshow Shug
27-Dec-05, 23:10
Well I had a fantastic time, thoroughly enjoyed it and will definately go again

Them raffle prizes were great, wish id won the big drink hamper, somebodys gonna have an enjoyable New Year apparently it was worth over £150

Thoroughly hungover today though.

Great work, Never seen the Royal so busy they must be chuffed

Bet the Legions kicking itself now - -Muppets, I was there for Mad Friday and the Royal was busier last night and the staff were politer and smart Legion need to get rid of the manageress, shes such a grump and the others are so scruffy and useless , specially the assistant manager who is awful

Glad you's have moved it guys, Advetise the next one soon if you can i'm gonna wear my school Uniform next time

The money went to Town Improvements I heard so well done for keeping it local

Gogglebox
28-Dec-05, 00:39
Well thanks for the comments well take them onboard and pass on your remarks to the Royal and consider them for the future

It really appeared to be just heaving and it became a bit of a concern for crowd safety thats why the bars got shut a bit early by the Royal

They reckoned it was bigger than the Mad Friday crowd, so they'll be happy with the takings

Still hope everyone enjoyed the music and the atmosphere was good and friendly and we were really impressed with the way people really seemed to to be enjoying themselves
My only concern was the hall could do with slightly brighter lighting but apart from that and maybe a couple of extra bodies about to cope with the unexpected volume we were happy

We,ve still to count the money and pay for bits and bobs like the disco, raffle etc but we settled one thing.The finally chosen Local Charity was Thurso Town Improvements Association to help towards their fundraising for the Thurso Gala so a cheque will wing its way to them in the very near future to help their ongoing massive fundraising requirements each year

The slightly sad new is that we have decided the 70s & 80s School Disco Revival are going to be rested for a while until we identify a real charitable need to do another for a local charity.

Us organisers have other things on and it can take up a bit of time and with the Tourist Season approaching we are more limited for dates in the Royal
We did do one last early February but it was uniquely to help raise money for the Tsunami Appeal which raised over £6035 when we finished all our fundraising

Since we have started them we have given/or helped lots of local charities including mainly the Royal British Legion, but also Macmillan Nurses, Thurso Town Improvements, Taste Of Tartan (Local Tourist body) Dunbar Hospital and various others along the way with small donations

Since we started we have raised and helped other groups raise over £10945
So it definately been worth while as all apart from the Tsunami £6035 went to local Thurso charities and groups, so for that part it has definately been worth while
Time for a wee rest now wee think while its still popular and as i said we may revive them for a one off if the cause is appropriate and the support exists

Thanks to all who came and we hoped you enjoyed them all and had a laugh along the way

Thanks Again from all the organisers and especially to all those who have been getting roped into help us on the nights where it got too busy, couldnt have done it without all our "volunteered helpers" And a special thanks to the Royal Hotel who have been so helpful and made us so welcomng in our new home, cheers Jill, its been great to be working with professionals

PS Feel free to post you comments on what you have thought of the idea as its run, let us know your thoughts or constructive critisisms, It might help gel knew ideas for the future and reinvigorate us again

cullbucket
28-Dec-05, 21:05
My wife went along and enjoyed it, but she did say that there was only one person at the bar and she had to wait half an hr to get served... seems crazy with all those people....

Gogglebox
31-Dec-05, 02:30
Glad your missus enjoyed it cullbucket
The shotage of staff was regrettable.
It was a difficult thing to anticipate though as we really had no idea about the volume of people that were gonna turn up on a Monday night but it was seriously underestimated
If we do another "one off" we would have to consider the staffing better in advance and also a better system for the admissions
Loads of people sneaked in for nothing and because we were short handed it was imposible to stop
In the end as ever they are all a learing experience for all involved in the organisaton

Still we, the organisers and our regular customers were happier with the commitment and helpfulness to the idea from the staff and management at the Royal compared to the difficulties that were created elsewhere and hope to run other events in the New Year and utilise the Royal and other local venues to create a range of places with ideas that suit different age groups from kids to senior citizens

Would recommend RGs Disco very highly too they are always very good and get an evening going very quickly and can quickly taper the music to suit the crowd and atmosphere, their Karaoke nights are good too

For anyone hanging around before the Thurso Street Party they are running a Karaoke in the Royal from 9 -mdnight, so good music, good crack and it'll be a bit warmer

Gogglebox
31-Dec-05, 02:39
Well I had a fantastic time, thoroughly enjoyed it and will definately go again

Them raffle prizes were great, wish id won the big drink hamper, somebodys gonna have an enjoyable New Year apparently it was worth over £150

Thoroughly hungover today though.

Great work, Never seen the Royal so busy they must be chuffed

Bet the Legions kicking itself now - -Muppets, I was there for Mad Friday and the Royal was busier last night and the staff were politer and smart Legion need to get rid of the manageress, shes such a grump and the others are so scruffy and useless , specially the assistant manager who is awful

Glad you's have moved it guys, Advetise the next one soon if you can i'm gonna wear my school Uniform next time

The money went to Town Improvements I heard so well done for keeping it local

Glad you and many others enjoyed what was a hectic but fun nighht
It would be inappropriate for us to comment on the previous location as the place suited our needs adequately when we were starting the idea off. Difficulties just arose from their end that exposed an inability to meet with our requirements satisfactorily