PDA

View Full Version : Ticks on Dogs

Tilter
06-Jul-08, 14:40
HI. How do you get a tick off a dog?

Or do you just let the tick gorge itself and then drop off?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

neepnipper
06-Jul-08, 14:56
If you use Frontline flea and tick treatment the ticks fall off as soon as soon as they start to suck blood, otherwise you can buy tick pickers, either a plastic one or metal wire type, both you have to put over the tick close to the skin and pull off, be careful not to leave any part of the tick in the skin as this could lead to infection.
All these things can be bought at Pets at Home.
I wouldn't leave the tick on the dog to fall off on its own as it could fall off anywhere ie. in the house where it could reattach itself to the dog or you, and they do carry disease, quite off they attach on the dogs face where it's been mooching around in the grass and it's not nice to have a tick latched on near the eye.
Personally I use Frontline on all my dogs.

teenybash
06-Jul-08, 15:01
No don't let the tic gorge...they carry infection in their saliva and the best thing to do is get it off as quickly as poss.Use tweezers and grip the where it meets the dogs body and pull firmly straight out.
Don't squeeze the tics body as it may burst and release potential infection. You will need to put the tic into alcohol to kill it or...I know is sound horrible...burn it.....they can live underwater so don't try to drown it. If there is a pet shop near you you should be able to pick up something today. Also you will need cream to apply where the tic has been removed from TCP or similar.....Hope you manage okay and get rid of the horror with no trouble.

Margaret M.
06-Jul-08, 15:08
I remove those horrible things the minute I find them, following the method below. The longer they are left in, the greater the chance for infection. The first time I had to remove one I was totally grossed out -- many ticks later, I don't give it a second thought. I either burn the tick after it is removed or wrap it in a piece of paper, place it in the sink and mash it with a spatula or whatever is close by.

Removing Ticks
Holly Nash, DVM, MS
Veterinary Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.

To remove an attached tick, use a pair of fine-tipped tweezers or special tick removal instruments. These special devices allow one to remove the tick without squeezing the tick body. This is important, as you do not want to crush the tick and force harmful bacteria to leave the tick and enter the dog’s bloodstream.

Grab the tick by the head or mouth parts right where they enter the skin. Do not grasp the tick by the body.

Without jerking, pull firmly and steadily directly outward. Do not twist the tick as you are pulling.

Using methods such as applying petroleum jelly, a hot match, or alcohol will NOT cause the tick to 'back out,' In fact, these irritants may cause the tick to deposit more disease-carrying saliva in the wound.

After removing the tick, place it in a jar of alcohol to kill it. Ticks are NOT killed by flushing them down the toilet.

Clean the bite wound with a disinfectant. If you want to, apply a small amount of a triple antibiotic ointment.

Wash your hands thoroughly.

Please do not use your fingers to remove or dispose of the tick. We do not want you in contact with a potentially disease-carrying tick. Do NOT squash the tick with your fingers. The contents of the tick can transmit disease.

Once an embedded tick is manually removed, it is not uncommon for a welt and skin reaction to occur. A little hydrocortisone spray will help alleviate the irritation, but it may take a week or more for healing to take place. In some cases, the tick bite may permanently scar leaving a hairless area. This skin irritation is due to the irritating and destructive tick saliva. It is not due to the tick losing its head, literally. Do not be worried about the tick head staying in; it rarely happens. This skin irritation is due to a reaction to the tick saliva.

Margaret M.
06-Jul-08, 15:15
Teenybash's response was not there when I started mine. So yeah, what Teenybash very succinctly said.

gollach
06-Jul-08, 15:37
You can get a treatment to stop ticks latching on to your dogs. I use one called Bob Martin "Spot On", you have to dot it on the dog's back between their shoulders and again further down their back and at the base of the tail. Each treatment dose is good for about 4 weeks and a carton containing a 3 month supply costs about a fiver from Tesco.

justine
06-Jul-08, 15:56
I think this link may help....

http://www.bada-uk.org/defence/removal/removaltweezers.php

Dadie
06-Jul-08, 20:47
I find that 1 1/2 turns of the tick anticlockwise lifts the little beggars out cleanly without leaving any of the mouth part in the dog to go septic is effective but i tend to keep Poppy frontlined now. It is more expensive than the bob martin stuff but is more potent to the pests just remember to use the cat stuff on cats and the dog stuff on dogs i think the dog one can be lethal to cats!

Tilter
07-Jul-08, 14:48
Many thanks for all your advice. My cavalier attitude to ticks is now completely changed. Alas, too late, because since coming back to this thread the tick has dropped off so is hanging its little diseased head around somewhere else now. I'll go and get some Frontline since it does fleas too, and the tick season can't be very long here.

Her face (where the tick was) looks clear of infection. She tends to totally submerge herself in the sea most days of the week diving for stones, etc., and I think that does quite a bit for her skin. Or am I wrong on that too? She's certainly healthy.

Dadie
07-Jul-08, 19:38
it depends where you go the ticks are worse if you go where there are a lot of sheep (up on the hills) and dunnet forest is bad for them as well.

the charlatans
10-Jul-08, 15:28
I used to hate tick removal with a vengance, then I bought a wee plastic tick taker ooter from the vets for less than £2. They look like little golf clubs with slits in the bottom, and there come in 2 sizes, 1 for sheep ticks and 1 for big hungry deer ticks. Easy to use, you put the slit under the body and twist. Then I dispose of it by killing it using a stone outside and squish it quickly. And wash hands.
But you must take oot the wee blighters as soon as you can as stated above.
Ive tried the tweezers but make a better job using the wee plastic jobs.
Vets would recommend best prevention lotion, or see above.
Death to ticks....

Liz
10-Jul-08, 18:38
I always try to get natural products for my pets if I can so have ordered a product called 'Billy No Mates' which you add to your pet's food.Looks good so hopefully it works.

http://www.csjk9.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=57

Dadie
10-Jul-08, 20:27
I used to like to burn them (after removal) to make sure they were dead some would give a satisfying pop!

My live and let live attitude does not extend to ticks (or the spiders that keep trying to scuba dive in my bath)

MsMe
10-Jul-08, 20:31
I have just tonight found what I think to be a tick on my dog. We were at the forest so I usually check him after and he does seem to have something but this is white? Usually when he has them they are black? Do you think it may still be a tick? Not sure, it looks like one but is white? Not sure if i should take it off - it could be some sort of bit spot??

Tilter
10-Jul-08, 22:48
I have just tonight found what I think to be a tick on my dog. We were at the forest so I usually check him after and he does seem to have something but this is white? Usually when he has them they are black? Do you think it may still be a tick? Not sure, it looks like one but is white? Not sure if i should take it off - it could be some sort of bit spot??

Our dog's tick was white.

ellimac
10-Jul-08, 23:15
Hi

Try Nailvarnish, When ever I found a Tick on my dog I used to cover the Tick in Nailvarnish and after a wee while it will come of. Any Nailvarnish will do and just leave it after its been covered.

Hope this helps

Ems
12-Jul-08, 01:38
Please go and buy a 'tick twister'! If you cant get one at the pet shop then 'google' it! I think they are made by 'O'Tom'. Do not use tweezers or your fingers! If you squeeze them, then whatever you squeeze, goes out of them and into your dog..... or you!! (If it is attached to you! )Yuk!!
I am a big believer in tea tree oil, I cover cats, dogs, pigs and us in it and it seems to keep the little nasties at bay! Granted, there are the odd one or two but nothing that cant be removed!
Good Luck!!