PDA

View Full Version : Share your tips on how to be thrifty

teenybash
06-Jul-08, 12:27
In the face of economic gloom how can we become more thrifty. Share your advice............. :roll:

joxville
06-Jul-08, 12:59
Eat less, stop drinking alcohol, dinna go oot anywhere,scrounge from others. Basically,become miserable and stop having a life.[lol]

silverfox57
06-Jul-08, 14:24
as the price of oil is my greatest worry,car and more so heading oil for house,my advise is to use trips with car sensibly, as for heating oil is off for summer,use quickheat fire,dont think you have to be miserable to cut back ,as we have far more today,than years gone bye,

Sapphire2803
06-Jul-08, 14:29
Do NOT use cards for shopping, decide how much you are going to spend on groceries each week, withdraw that amount and stick to it.

Write a shopping list, choose 7 meals, buy ingredients accordingly. Do all your shopping for the week in one go. Reduced shopping trips = reduced temptation :D

Sapphire2803
06-Jul-08, 14:31
And if you really want to scare yourself...

Keep a spending diary for a month, don't cheat! List every last spend.

teenybash
06-Jul-08, 15:07
I have started my personal thrift campaign with a lot more home baking and less of the ready made cakes..................I luv cake !!!
A saving I have found is to buy frozen peas and cook what is needed instead of buying tinned.

cuddlepop
06-Jul-08, 15:11
I managed to get my hands on a professional container of fabric softner in Poundstrechers it cost £5.00 for 5l =20l .
Leanor too.:)

Solus
06-Jul-08, 15:13
I do the same as you sapphire, decided what i am going to cook for meals through the week and buy it all at once, butcher meat, veg etc. one big shop a week for all the incidentals, things like bread, rolls milk etc are bought as and when needed.

Tilter
06-Jul-08, 16:07
I used to spend a lot on books, trawling Amazon, etc. Now I've started going to the library. You can order books you want on-line and also renew books on-line if you forget to return them in time or would have to make a special trip in car.

Don't know if you're just talking about economising on necessities. Anyway, books are my latest economy.

highlander
06-Jul-08, 16:51
Once my persil liquid detergent bottle is empty i fill it half full of hot water and shake it, its amazing how much is left in it, then i use this for hand washing clothes.
Any biscuits that have gone soft, i use this as a base for a flan, just crumble them up, add drop of marg and melt in pan, spread over tin and leave to cool.

mccaugm
06-Jul-08, 21:14
Don't buy the expensive brand products, use the shop brand stuff, in almost all cases its virtually the same ingredients. This is especially true in the case of medicines such as paracetamol and Ibuprofen. I buy the cheaper jams and marmalades and my kids eat them no bother. As for making your own stuff such as jams and baking. If you can then its a great idea. However dont make your own lemon curd as its cheaper to buy than make.

Turn the heating down as far as is practicable.

Use charity shops, they can be a hit or a miss but worth a look. Go food shopping in the afternoon as you can get reduced food stuffs quite cheaply.

Walk/cycle unless your car is necessary, mums driving their children to school seems so wasteful if they live close by.

Recycle everything you can, it may not save your pennies but it will help the planet. I now have labelled boxes and have taught my children to use them. If older people or friends have no transport then offer to take their recyclables for them to the recycle centre on a regular basis.

Lord Flasheart
06-Jul-08, 21:48
Use only one square of toilet paper after your buisness.

PM me for details, I cant post it in open forum .. ;)

ywindythesecond
06-Jul-08, 22:13

If you are ever lucky enough to meet Lord Flasheart, don't shake hands.

EDDIE
06-Jul-08, 22:40

Go one better than that train yourself to do your business during work ours use your works toilet paper and get paid for it at the same time thats what i try to do lol

Rheghead
06-Jul-08, 22:50
Strain your used cooking oil and pour it into your domestic heating oil tank.

Lord Flasheart
06-Jul-08, 22:54
Strain your used cooking oil and pour it into your domestic heating oil tank.

Wont that make your house smell like a chip shop ??

scorrie
06-Jul-08, 23:06
To save money at Christmas, get an old Action Man box and relabel as "Action Man, Special Deserter Edition"

DeHaviLand
06-Jul-08, 23:24
In the face of economic gloom how can we become more thrifty. Share your advice.............

Spend less money! Simple really:roll::lol:

Kevin Milkins
06-Jul-08, 23:24

does this involve folding in to four and ripping the corner of to clean under the nail ? Been doing that for years :lol:

Kevin Milkins
06-Jul-08, 23:30
Breast feeding in public untill mum dries up or you get sent to jail.lol

Rheghead
07-Jul-08, 00:46
Join the library.
Use your savings to pay off loansand credit cards, except mortgage.
Eat less frozen and prepacked food and eat more conventional veg and make packed lunches for work/school.

Sapphire2803
07-Jul-08, 00:49
Always read price labels in supermarkets, especially when they quote price per 100g etc.

Lord Flasheart
07-Jul-08, 01:26
does this involve folding in to four and ripping the corner of to clean under the nail ? Been doing that for years :lol:

How ecologically sound of you !! .. and yes it does.

Do we also use the Hot and Cold running toilet in certain situations ??

Angela
07-Jul-08, 13:58
Take out cash for the week and don't use cards for shopping -when the money's run out -tough! :eek: For some reason I've always found a Thursday a good day to start my financial week.

Don't shop for food when you're feeling peckish -go to the supermarket after a meal. Get out of the habit of thinking of shopping as 'retail therapy' or a fun thing to do.

Try to dismiss these oh -so- tempting offers where you buy 2 or 3 items instead of the 1 you actually need -often when you work it out it's only saving about 10p, and if you don't use every last scrap, you don't save, you spend more. Choose loose fruit and veg instead of pre-packed and give ready meals a miss.

Plan the meals for the week, make a list and stick to it -with the exception of basic non perishables on special offer which you know you'll definitely use. Trade down to own brands as well-they're often at least as good as the well known names.

Make your own soups, pasta sauces, salads and sandwiches -quick to make, much tastier and a good way to use up leftovers.

Reuse all packaging, envelopes, jiffy bags, giftwrap etc.

Make sure whatever money you have in the bank is getting the best interest rate possible. If you do all the above, you might even have a wee bit more....:)

LMS
07-Jul-08, 22:48
Shop with Tesco.com as you can see exactly what you are spending and then adjust accordingly. Also, I have a nose around the internet before I place my order and get a money-off code. I have only paid for delivery twice in 18 months. I managed to get £12 off a £80 spend tonight. (XX-B47M should you wish to give it a try!)

Kevin Milkins
07-Jul-08, 23:01
I know this is not a new idea ,but I gave it a try and was stunned by the result.
With fuel prices going daft we are often seeing programmes on how to drive more economicly .
I have gone south a few times since moving to Wick and I get to about this side of Manchester on a tank full of fuel.
The last time I went a few weeks ago I decided to do it by the book and took it steady and much to my supprise I got to Shropshire which is an extra 100 miles.
I found taking it steady a lot less stressfull driving as well.

golach
07-Jul-08, 23:06
I keep my tips....no that I get many, but those I do get, goes straight in my pocket [lol]

joxville
08-Jul-08, 02:30
I know this is not a new idea ,but I gave it a try and was stunned by the result.
With fuel prices going daft we are often seeing programmes on how to drive more economicly .
I have gone south a few times since moving to Wick and I get to about this side of Manchester on a tank full of fuel.
The last time I went a few weeks ago I decided to do it by the book and took it steady and much to my supprise I got to Shropshire which is an extra 100 miles.
I found taking it steady a lot less stressfull driving as well.

I'm driving to Thurso this weekend, a journey from here in Hampshire of 680 miles. I reckon I could get close on 700 miles from a tankful of diesel so I shall try drive to manufacturer's recommendations and find out.

hotrod4
08-Jul-08, 08:02
A good way to be thrifty is to purchase a long metal cable approx the distance from your house to your neighbours. Then ask them kindly if they would like you to give their house a quick electrical check(just to be neighbourly). Just to make sure the electrical supply is Ok, hook it back up to your house and run your appliances as well. Not only are you being thrifty (2 electrical supplies for the price of one) but your are being a kindly spirited neighbour.

Or.......
Why not lie down in the middle of the road and say that some big boys stole your car and your in a hurry to go to work/shopping etc, I am sure most drivers would be charitable enough to oblige. Repeat above for journey home!.