PDA

View Full Version : Moray Firth

percy toboggan
05-Jul-08, 23:24
Rheghead just mentioned it in another thread. I was there last week, and the Cromarty and Dornoch Firths. I'd like clarification.Is the whole of the coast up there known as the Moray Firth? Because I was told while gazing from the lighthouse at Tarbetness that I was looking at the 'Moray Firth' even though it looked like completely open water to me.

I could head off on a search for this info but I'd much prefer a local who knows to tell me please. When does a firth stop being a firth and become summat else - like the Sea?

joxville
06-Jul-08, 01:09
summat

Is this deliberate percy? You start a thread criticising text speak and the use of proper English then in another post you use a colloquialism! Double standards methinks.[lol]

Lord Flasheart
06-Jul-08, 01:11
Is this deliberate percy? You start a thread criticising text speak and the use of proper English then in another post you use a colloquialism! Double standards methinks.[lol]

Ouch Jox, that one landed hard !! .. :lol:

Rheghead
06-Jul-08, 01:24
Rheghead just mentioned it in another thread. I was there last week, and the Cromarty and Dornoch Firths. I'd like clarification.Is the whole of the coast up there known as the Moray Firth? Because I was told while gazing from the lighthouse at Tarbetness that I was looking at the 'Moray Firth' even though it looked like completely open water to me.

I could head off on a search for this info but I'd much prefer a local who knows to tell me please. When does a firth stop being a firth and become summat else - like the Sea?

AFAIK, a firth is a corruption of fjord which is a watery cul-de-sac. So the Pentland Firth is a misnomer really. It should be called the Pentland Strait which sounds nicer imo. The Moray Firth is arguably a Firth but stretching the definition.

joxville
06-Jul-08, 01:26
AFAIK, a firth is a corruption of fjord which is a watery cul-de-sac. So the Pentland Firth is a misnomer really. It should be called the Pentland Strait which sounds nicer imo. The Moray Firth is arguably a Firth but stretching the definition.

That's just perfect then percy. Next time your up it may rain so don't forget your strait jacket.[lol]

Rheghead
06-Jul-08, 01:33
Perhaps the early mappers described these stretches of water by the firth thing that entered their heads?:confused

Anne x
06-Jul-08, 01:46
Perhaps the early mappers described these stretches of water by the firth thing that entered their heads?:confused

LOL :lol: I grew up in Golspie def Dornoch Firth

Oddquine
06-Jul-08, 04:54
I'm from Morayshire and as far as I know..........it is kinda triangular with the tip just below Beauly, and the northern side making to Duncansby Head past the Cromarty and Dornoch firths, and eastward to around Fraserburgh.

It's the biggest Firth in Scotland, btw......and I guess it becomes the sea past the line from Fraserburgh to Duncansby Head.

Best of luck in working out from the land where that actually is, though!

Bill Fernie
07-Jul-08, 08:48
There is a map on the Moray Firth Partnership web site showing what they consider comes under their remit.
See it at http://www.morayfirth-partnership.org/mfarea-1.html