PDA

View Full Version : If you could have a new name what would it be and why

teenybash
05-Jul-08, 22:19
If you have the choice of re naming yourself what would it be and why.

Anne x
05-Jul-08, 22:30
This is quite a funny thread as I had this conversation with a orger just yesterday My first name is Elizabeth and when I started primary school a there were 5 other Elizabeths or I was one of 5 cant really mind
so any one with a second name was called that its the only time I have seen my mum annoyed by anything and demanding a answer by the teacher as to why !!
probably something to do with the new young Queen and a common name at that time or My Mums name and grannys on both sides just got pulled up for that thanks S

Angela
05-Jul-08, 22:41
Anne, my experience was similar but different. My first name's Esther -they go back in my Mum's family to the 18th century at least! I was named after my auntie Essie, who was also my godmother -she was named Esther with her middle name Sinclair after her grandmother, and so on back. My family's full of Esthers, Essies, Ettas and Etties!

I was never known as Esther tho' - always Angela, until I changed school in primary 2 and there was already an Angela in the class. :(

I had to be called Esther, and for the next four years, until I moved to another school, I was Esther at school and Angela at home....

It was quite a relief when at the age of 10 there was just one of me again :lol: and I'm quite happy with my name.

wifie
05-Jul-08, 22:43
What is it wi people callin their children by their middle names up there? I too am called by my middle name and it is quite frankly a right pain!

Angela
05-Jul-08, 22:49
What is it wi people callin their children by their middle names up there? I too am called by my middle name and it is quite frankly a right pain!

It is a pain. My son-in-law's similarly afflicted, as is his father....you'd think folk would learn and not do the same thing to their kids!:roll:

Apart from my passport and driving licence I've long managed managed to kill off that Esther wifie...she's just not me! I feel a bit better about her now that I've discovered what an old family tradition it is, but I'm afraid to say that Esther Rantzen made me feel worse! :eek:

tigger2u
05-Jul-08, 23:04

I found this out while reaserching my family tree. 40 years till I found out my Aunt Sadie was in fact Sarah, an Aunt Agnes was Nessie, an Catherine was Peggy lord Im confused againnnnnnnnnnn [lol] and there was about another 5/6 that were known as something else lol

I love my name so I wouldnt change it

wifie
05-Jul-08, 23:08
Poor old you angela - lol! Yep I don't feel like my first name at all - but ok with my middle one!

Lord Flasheart
05-Jul-08, 23:11
Studley McMuffin.

I think it suits me.

wifie
05-Jul-08, 23:20
Dunno about the name Lord F but I am likin that avatar better - LOL!

percy toboggan
05-Jul-08, 23:31
Toboggan to the end.
It's all downhill from here , so appropriate methinks.

Oddquine
06-Jul-08, 05:08
I was called after my Caithness granny.......Margaret.........of which, like Angela, there were umpteen in my class in school................but the three children in my family were all called by our middle names at home anyway.......because my mother thought that our middle names were less liable to end with nicknames or pet names, so I was Nancy at home.........and that was my school name as well.

Being a tomboy, when I found out that I had been called Nancy after my father's sister who died young, and whose name was Johanna Grace (Grace=Nancy), I refused for years to answer to anything other than Jo(e). :o

beephope
06-Jul-08, 09:45
When I was a teenager I wanted to change my middle name to its Welsh equivalent, Lleucu, but my Pa wasn't a Welsh speaker so called me Flaky for a fews months until I gave up on the idea. Parents, huh!

joxville
06-Jul-08, 10:01
I'm Joseph Thomas ..?.. VII, named after my uncle-a name that goes back to 1870. Have to say though, when tracing my family name, came as a bit of a shock to see my own name on a gravestone in N.E.Scotland.

Think I'll change it to something a little less common.

Francis Closeby.[lol]

mccaugm
06-Jul-08, 11:38
I hate when children are named after their parents. It causes no end of confusion and they are always referred to as junior or their named altered in some way, such as the father being called William and the son known as Billy. My ex wanted to call his first son "John" after him. Told him this was bordering on arrogant and not going to happen as his father was already called John. There are millions of names in the world so why keep using the same one over and over. My dads family were the same, the first born son was Donald and the second Colin, needless to say I have numerous relatives with these names....very confusing when writing family trees.

When I was little I hated my unusual name and wanted to be called "Wendy" as this was the alternative name my parents had for me before I was born. I now like my name and it goes along well with my new surname, from my second marriage.

wifie
06-Jul-08, 11:55
I agree totally mccaugum - being named after people is what middle names should be for! That is what we did with our two children - there first names are totally new to the family - all their own!

armanisgirl
06-Jul-08, 12:09
I'm ok with my name, apart from my mum calling me Lindy instead of Linda. I spent most of my teenage years refusing to answer to anything except Linda.

My oldest son was named after his father/grandfather etc. This was my choice; even though I split from his dad before he was born, I was still close to the grandparents, so decided to carry on the family tradition, more out of respect for my nearly-father-in-law. There has never been any confusion about which Andrew we were talking about, and we never shortened the names or called my son junior or anything. I referred to my son as 'my Andrew', his dad as 'your Andrew' and the grandfather as 'big Andrew' (simply because he was head of the family and a large man!).

My middle son was named Marc, not after anyone, but because I wanted a name that couldn't be shortened. (Andrew is Andy to his mates and it drives me nuts!). His middle name is Ryan, simply because I liked it.

My daughter was named Sophie because I liked it, middle name Catherine because I liked it. After I named her, I found out from my mother-in-law that her aunt was called Sophia and her grandmother was Catherine! So, without realising, I had actually named my daughter after family members! A bit spooky that!

On the subject of spooky - someone once told me I don't look like a Linda. When I asked what name I looked like, she said Sophie! I laughed and told her my daughter is called Sophie. And just a week ago, someone called me Lucy. When I asked why, he said because he thought I looked like a Lucy and he'd forgotten I was actually Linda. Again, I laughed; Lucy is my middle name! So, maybe I should have been called Sophie Lucy, or Lucy Sophie? [lol]

Sapphire2803
06-Jul-08, 12:36
I've had so much trouble with my family tree because of this.

Great Aunt Vic = Ursula Victoria
Aunt Nancy = Ursula Anne
Great grandad = Alfred... Nope. William Albert

That's just a few, they were all at it. To top it off there's a long line of Alfred Williams and William Alfreds

I'm Emma, named after umpteen members of our family, I've long since given up turning around when I hear someone calling my name because 9.9 times out of 10 it's another Emma they're calling.

I always wanted to be called by my middle name, Kathryn (it was almost picked for my first name) and for years I managed to get people to call me it, but my husband won't call me it. So that's that plan stuffed :roll:

Metalattakk
06-Jul-08, 12:51

Chris P. Bacon.

Sapphire2803
06-Jul-08, 12:53
Hubby says he wants to be called Max Power :roll:

caroline
06-Jul-08, 13:02
Here are some of my also known as in my family tree which gave me grief trying to figure out their Sunday names researching records.

Cybil or Sybil (Isabella)
Cennie (Alexandrina, Alexina)
Nancy or Nan (Annie)
Cissie (Mary Bella)
Peggy (Margaret)
Essie Janet)

Lots of ettas and inas with male names i e Hughina, Henrietta, Williamina, Robertina, Georgina and so on.

oldmarine
07-Jul-08, 01:37
I was named after an older uncle (same first name and same middle initial but different middle names and same last name). I believe my mother named me after him because he was a successful business man. Anyway I never liked my first name nor my middle name, but was stuck with it and have had to live with it for 83 years now.

Tighsonas4
07-Jul-08, 19:55
I was named after an older uncle (same first name and same middle initial but different middle names and same last name). I believe my mother named me after him because he was a successful business man. Anyway I never liked my first name nor my middle name, but was stuck with it and have had to live with it for 83 years now.
me likewise. it has done me now for the same years.
probably been called many others but thats bye the bye [lol] tony

Valerie Campbell
07-Jul-08, 19:55
I always fancied being called Alexandra, shortened to Alex though. I was always fascinated by the last Tsarina of Russia so I guess that's where it comes from. I gave that name to my daughter as her middle name instead. I suppose I could change it by deed poll...

Angela
07-Jul-08, 20:04
I always fancied being called Alexandra, shortened to Alex though. I was always fascinated by the last Tsarina of Russia so I guess that's where it comes from. I gave that name to my daughter as her middle name instead. I suppose I could change it by deed poll...

Valerie, my mother's name was Alexandra -named after the then queen and with a nod to her maternal grandfather, Alexander Mowat.

Her name was shortened to Zandra (and woe betide anyone who called her 'Sandra' ;)) but within the family she was always known as Sandy -except in Caithness she was usually known as 'Lalla'...I've no idea why! :roll:

Kevin Milkins
07-Jul-08, 21:50

Robert Suppards will do for me.;)

trix
07-Jul-08, 22:12
i used til hate ma name when i wis yownger in 'e school, widna answer til'ed. always used 'e shortend version since i wis a lascie....

now i insist that ma proper name is used in all things official an love it when friends an family call me....victoria :D

i choost really lek 'e sound o' ma own name....

scorrie
07-Jul-08, 22:40
I dare say many a man would be happy to have been blessed with the name:-

Hugh G. Rex Shaun

Only if they worked in the building trade, obviously ;)

Valerie Campbell
09-Jul-08, 15:27
Angela, my husband's aunt is called May Alexandra and gets called Sandra. When I named my daughter it just didn't click that I could have been calling her after the aunt!! She too was called Alexandra due to her father's name being Alexander, and I did some family research and one of my great grandfathers was called Alexander, but again I didn't know this until years after I'd given Lauren it as a middle name.

George Brims
09-Jul-08, 19:21
I hate when children are named after their parents. It causes no end of confusion and they are always referred to as junior or their named altered in some way, such as the father being called William and the son known as Billy.
George Foreman (ex-boxer and seller of grills) has called *all* his sons George. There are 3 or 4 of them. The family are about to get a reality show on American TV. I plan to watch just to see how they manage this about the house. "I didn't break it, it was George!"

unicorn
09-Jul-08, 19:33
I love my name, but as a child as it was the gaelic spelling I was 8 before I could spell it because everyone had a different name for me so i really had no idea what it was :lol:

joxville
09-Jul-08, 22:59
I love my name, but as a child as it was the gaelic spelling I was 8 before I could spell it because everyone had a different name for me so i really had no idea what it was :lol:

This reminds me of a former boss and his wife having two daughters called Helen and Eilidh. What they didn't know,(nor I since I don't speak the lingo), was Eilidh was the Gaelic version of Helen!

scorrie
10-Jul-08, 14:20
George Foreman (ex-boxer and seller of grills) has called *all* his sons George. There are 3 or 4 of them. The family are about to get a reality show on American TV. I plan to watch just to see how they manage this about the house. "I didn't break it, it was George!"

The father is George Foreman, the oldest son is George Brickie, the next one is George Plasterer and so on, to the youngest son George Labourer ;)