PDA

View Full Version : Happy Valley...in Orkney

JamesMcVean
05-Jul-08, 14:52
Have any of you been to Happy Valley?

We have just returned from a family trip to Orkney and my dad told me o f this 'little known' place called Happy Valley...I know that orkney is supposed to be slightly barren and treeless...but this guy planted and planned a wee grotto in the Stenness hills...with a babbling brook and wee waterfall...an abandoned mill...and tracks and paths weaving here and there...it is one of the most tranquil places I have visited and well worth a look...someone has even placed wee ceramic faries dotted throughout it...my wee lass loved it...

It was completely free and on the other side of the coin...Skara Brae was EXPENSIVE....Entry was over£20 for 2 adults and 1 child!! and we ate there at another £21 for burger lunch!

If I suss out how to do it...I will post a couple of pics of the trees and stuff...lol

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/350/smallertd6.jpg

Cheers

James

helenwyler
05-Jul-08, 15:35
Sounds fabulous James. I had a quick look at the panoramas here:
http://bankburn.co.uk/pano.htm

....but didn't spot any fairies :confused. Unless there's one near the door on the left of the old shed/house ;).

Tighsonas4
05-Jul-08, 15:50
HAPPY VALLEY
surprisingly enough a week tonight we spent about an hour searching for the place.was un able to walk around but the rest of the party did
its a pity the orcadians dont try to upkeep the place
the mannie seemingly spent his whole life at it
got a book on the story and left it behind but awaiting to get it over
wonder it dosent get more of a mention. regards tony

JamesMcVean
05-Jul-08, 15:54
Tony,

I dont think the upkeep of the place was the old guy's idea...it is like a wee piece of wild woods in a very unwooded area lol

joxville
05-Jul-08, 16:00
Thanks for the info James, I'm visiting Orkney next weekend so will certainly pay it a visit.

JamesMcVean
05-Jul-08, 19:20
Jox,

To get there -

As you travel from Stromness side, on the main Kirkwall road - You pass though the village of Stenness...on the Kirkwall side, past the National Speed Limit sign by a couple hundred yards there is a main crossroads...take the right along a single track road signed Biggswell....Take that track right past the sign for the silversmiths...and on your right will be a very small parking space with a track leading into the woods by an abandoned croft...

Enjoy...lol

James

Tighsonas4
05-Jul-08, 19:35
pity i didnt have that info before we set off although we came the other way through finston [lol] [lol] tony

smj
05-Jul-08, 19:52
Sounds brilliant, I've just e mailed info to my Daughter who is on the 7pm. ferry over. I will visit myself later in the year, thank you.
Stella

wifie
05-Jul-08, 19:57
Have visited Orkney many times but never knew about Happy Valley - will certainly give it a go next time I am over.

Tighsonas4
05-Jul-08, 20:17
Have visited Orkney many times but never knew about Happy Valley - will certainly give it a go next time I am over.
yes you just do that wifie and report back with your expertise lol tony

crashbandicoot1979
05-Jul-08, 20:38
Its a lovely place. We first went there when the man was still alive, he had a wee cottage beside the trees and invited us in. It was like stepping back in time, he had no tv and all the furniture etc was really old. He was a lovely old man and I always wondered if they turned his house into a museum after he died, like Mary Anns cottage?

Lady In Bed
06-Jul-08, 09:47
Its a lovely place. We first went there when the man was still alive, he had a wee cottage beside the trees and invited us in. It was like stepping back in time, he had no tv and all the furniture etc was really old. He was a lovely old man and I always wondered if they turned his house into a museum after he died, like Mary Anns cottage?

If they didnt, they should have. I was there many years ago. The upkeep of the area was done by the house owner whose name escapes me now. He gave us (3 adults and 2 children) a walk through and gave the kids a very valuable lesson of the wildlife in Orkney. All this for a wee dram!:Razz

joxville
06-Jul-08, 10:05

yes you just do that wifie and report back with your expertise lol tony

Oh God-don't get her started-she'll never stop.:D

Only joking wifie xx

joxville
06-Jul-08, 10:07
Jox,

To get there -

As you travel from Stromness side, on the main Kirkwall road - You pass though the village of Stenness...on the Kirkwall side, past the National Speed Limit sign by a couple hundred yards there is a main crossroads...take the right along a single track road signed Biggswell....Take that track right past the sign for the silversmiths...and on your right will be a very small parking space with a track leading into the woods by an abandoned croft...

Enjoy...lol

James

Thanks for directions James. I have 7 days camping from next Sunday so will have plenty of time to see it.

JamesMcVean
06-Jul-08, 10:46
Jox,

If you are planning a stay...I would consider "The Tomb Of The Eagles" too...
http://www.tomboftheeagles.co.uk/
A stoneage burial site NOT owned by the National Trust...a farmer and his family excavated it and found a small hillock was actually a burial chamber...There is a wee museum attached to the farm house and last time I was there, you got to do a Hamlet and hold a 5000yr old skull...lol

You have to walk along a cliff path to the site and lay on a wee skateboard-like trolly and pull yourself in by rope...well worth the effort

and the Happy Valley house is padlocked...

Cheers

James

farmer
08-Jul-08, 21:08
Happy Valley!!! What a fantastic place!!
It was definately the highlight of the school trip to Orkney every couple of years. Quite scary to believe it was so long ago now. I'm sure i remember the wee old man who owned the house / garden too. (or have i just dreamt that?!?!)
I went there again just a few years ago. Its a lot more wild and rugged now, compared to when we were kids. Still amazing though, even though it's not so well kept. Maybe that makes it even better? Either way, its a fantastic place that I've got loads of fantastic memories of. (and some hilarious old photos too..... )

JamesMcVean
09-Jul-08, 10:05
I added a pic at the top of the thread to see if anyone can see a difference from now and then lol