PDA

View Full Version : Wickers are Everywhere !!

Lord Flasheart
04-Jul-08, 22:40
Cant believe it.

Im off the western coast of Africa on a boat with about 30 people on it and who do I bump into ??, a fellow (now exiled) Wicker. Everywhere I go I seem to meet one !!, I was sussed out as I happened to remark to a lad from Inverness that I was from Wick, for the last week everywhere this poor Invernesian goes all he hears is "Rubber Bumpers" from me. He then starts teasing me about "Scorries" etc etc. All good stuff. He was in Wick recently and thought I would know the girl he chatted up in Wetherspoons about a couple of month ago just by describing what she was wearing, despite the fact I dont live in Wick. By the way if the girl wearing jeans and a black t-shirt who was chatted up by a (fairly hideous) guy from Inverness a while ago is reading this he asks me to tell you you have "Buns of Steel" .. sheesh .. :roll:

Anyway I had seen this lad a couple of times onboard but he had never spoken, he then opened his mouth and said ..

"Oh yere no a weeker are ye ??"

.. my chin still hurts from where it hit the floor. We spent the next hour disccusing the old town and it turns out he knows a lot of my family there. Apparently I look right like my uncle. I have been lucky enough to travel a large part of the world and I seem to meet Wickers wherever I go. I was once in an american airport and had my rear end goosed by an ex girlfriend from Wick. (You know who you are .. ;) .. you have a nice touch but please, warm your hands next time)

Has anyone else bumped into a fellow Wicker or Teenabowla or whatever in an obscure place ??

And are we being cloned or something as we seem to be everywhere !!

TBH
04-Jul-08, 22:44
Cant believe it.

Im off the western coast of Africa on a boat with about 30 people on it and who do I bump into ??, a fellow (now exiled) Wicker. Everywhere I go I seem to meet one !!, I was sussed out as I happened to remark to a lad from Inverness that I was from Wick, for the last week everywhere this poor Invernesian goes all he hears is "Rubber Bumpers" from me. He then starts teasing me about "Scorries" etc etc. All good stuff. He was in Wick recently and thought I would know the girl he chatted up in Wetherspoons about a couple of month ago just by describing what she was wearing, despite the fact I dont live in Wick. By the way if the girl wearing jeans and a black t-shirt who was chatted up by a (fairly hideous) guy from Inverness a while ago is reading this he asks me to tell you you have "Buns of Steel" .. sheesh .. :roll:

Anyway I had seen this lad a couple of times onboard but he had never spoken, he then opened his mouth and said ..

"Oh yere no a weeker are ye ??"

.. my chin still hurts from where it hit the floor. We spent the next hour disccusing the old town and it turns out he knows a lot of my family there. Apparently I look right like my uncle. I have been lucky enough to travel a large part of the world and I seem to meet Wickers wherever I go. I was once in an american airport and had my rear end goosed by an ex girlfriend from Wick. (You know who you are .. ;) .. you have a nice touch but please, warm your hands next time)

Has anyone else bumped into a fellow Wicker or Teenabowla or whatever in an obscure place ??

And are we being cloned or something as we seem to be everywhere !!Caithness is the most important place on earth, we are the master race.........[lol]

speedo215
04-Jul-08, 22:44
my weirdest 1 is legoland windsor when i was younger my mum and dad were talking to wickers

rainbow
04-Jul-08, 23:05
My brother bumped into a fellow pupil from his maths class in Singapore! Also in the queue at Alton Towers and in front of me was someone who lived in the same street. In Malta while speaking to my family this woman leant over and said what part of Caithness are you from? She wasn't from Caithness but recognised the accent. Bumped into lots of Wickers on holiday, but try to avoid them- oh the shame of bumping into someone I know with all my 'lurks' hanging out!!!!!

joxville
04-Jul-08, 23:13
And are we being cloned or something as we seem to be everywhere !!

Lord helps us.;)

Only joking.:lol:

mums angels
04-Jul-08, 23:30
Everytime i go away in the UK i often meet someone from up here ..Edinburgh , Glasgow, Leeds , Suffolk , London to name a few...legoland being one of them aswell :lol:

Hubby works in Africa and after a year of being there was talking to a fellow workmate and turned out that we only live 4 miles from each other in Thurso ..small world really ?

sweetpea
05-Jul-08, 00:17
I had a tap on the shoulder from a wifie I know from Wick at the top of a mountain in Madeira:) and met Wickers in Hong Kong in a market:eek:

Camra
05-Jul-08, 13:02
We were on honeymoon in Kenya, when an older ex pat gentlemen asked us where we were from as he seemed to recognise our accents.
Turned out he had been stationed in Wick during the war.

MsMe
05-Jul-08, 17:46
Met a pair of wickers in Turkey - we were walking down the street and they were heading into MacDonalds!! Also met someone we know from Thurso in Greece.

davie
05-Jul-08, 21:01
Obviously there is need for a higher fence around Week and maybe a minefield and that should keep them in

TBH
05-Jul-08, 21:16
Obviously there is need for a higher fence around Week and maybe a minefield and that should keep them inLike that film, "Escape from New York?"

Camra
07-Jul-08, 19:53
Er.......just a thought.........they also keep people out

Valerie Campbell
07-Jul-08, 20:02
Very true. A guy got in touch with me from Australia to say he'd met a former pow from the Watten camp. The German asked him if he was from Caithness because he recognised the accent! So Caithnessians get everywhere, Wickers or not!! Keep up the good work.