PDA

View Full Version : A distinct lack of controversy...(so ban text-speak)

percy toboggan
04-Jul-08, 20:51
Something is missing from this forum these last few weeks.
A good argument is hard to find. Call it debate if you want but it adds up to the same thing - dissent and brimstone.
I'm strugglin' for summat controversial to bother you with.
Owz about knives...or compulsory leg breaking for drug addicts or some such sharia-like option.

Agreement , dull acquiescence and back slapping is all very well, but it's disagreement that gets us all going.

I'd welcome a rule to ban the use of text type speech in this forum.
The people who organise this site must surely themselves despair at the intrusion of such an economic style of communication. It's all very well on a one inch square plastic screen when brevity is de rigueur, but this forum is for people who can put in a bit of effort, and use the Queens (ooeer) English (oooeerr).
We should have a vote...now, there's an idea.

percy toboggan
04-Jul-08, 20:59
It demeans the language. It's indicative of a lack of patience, a lack of consideration for the reader and people who can 't get their words out quick enough...many of which ain't worth reading in the first place.
A real 21st. century phenomenon that threatens to diminish us all if it's not kept in it's place - - the mobile phone...a device I wish had not been invented.

Solus
04-Jul-08, 20:59
or is it more the fact to wind some people up, belittle them for having differing views, slowly turning it into a slagging match where the intitial topic is lost and the only way some feel fit is to personally attack the other ?

TBH
04-Jul-08, 21:01
No real harm in it for text messages and such-like. I doubt if it will ever replace the written English language so your fears are unfounded in my humble opinion.

mccaugm
04-Jul-08, 21:01
Text typing is exactly that, for sending texts. When you have the time and space to type/write correctly then do so. Its really a no-brainer.

percy toboggan
04-Jul-08, 21:02
or is it more the fact to wind some people up, belittle them for having differing views, slowly turning it into a slagging match where the intitial topic is lost and the only way some feel fit is to personally attack the other ?

No. And of course you're free to ignore it. As is everyone else.
Make me look like a fool if you like, stirring the pot over things that don't matter.

Well, I believe this one does. We shall see.

I won't take off in a fit of pique if it's ignored.
Sorry.

brokencross
04-Jul-08, 21:13
gr8 m8 sez u. fyi ur rite, txt spk no fnk u.

TBH
04-Jul-08, 21:21
I think shorthand text messages should be kept where they belong. For mobile phones and other such mediums it is a necessity due to constraints of time but it should never be used on a forum where it would just constitute laziness.

brokencross
04-Jul-08, 21:23
No real harm in it for text messages and such-like. I doubt if it will ever replace the written English language so your fears are unfounded in my humble opinion. Sorry already happening...from a newspaper article "The Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) said the use of phrases like "2b r nt 2b" or "i luv u" in exam papers would be allowed as long as candidates showed they understood the subject." so what hope do we have?

Bobinovich
04-Jul-08, 21:25
I don't understand the need to do it on the forums for two simple reasons...

A QWERTY keyboard is much easier to type on than a mobile keypad
A forum post has a much bigger limit on characters than a mobile text
This therefore begs the question why would anyone CHOOSE to use text speak instead of typing in full?

Kenn
04-Jul-08, 21:25
I may be wrong here but what we are taught is Oxford English or so I was brought up to believe.
Quite agree about text abbreviations being used in every day language but then again mobile phones are the curse of society so perhaps that's where the brimstone that was mentioned comes into being.

crashbandicoot1979
04-Jul-08, 21:27
I said yes. I agree with TBH in that it probably (and hopefully!) won't replace the written english language, but I think it should be used in text messages only. I just tend to skim over posts written in text-speak. I am sure that some of the posters have intelligent things to say but if they can't be bothered to write/type it correctly then I don't waste my time reading it.

brokencross
04-Jul-08, 21:27
Percy in the space of 2 minutes you have made the cardinal sin of a duplicate posting. And a duplicate of your own post, to boot

ciderally
04-Jul-08, 21:30
gotta say i hate texting....never do it ....takes me too long .....yes ban it thats what i say....

changilass
04-Jul-08, 21:33
Maybe if folks wern't jumped on for their gramatical and spelling errors then they wouldn't feel the need to use text talk

Kenn
04-Jul-08, 21:35
Just had another thought, how about the cost to the taxpayers for RSI as a result of all that texting?
Should texting be categorised with dangerous activities as it can seriously damage your health.
Sorry to meander of the subject but thought it might provoke a little controversy!

TBH
04-Jul-08, 21:48
Sorry already happening...from a newspaper article "The Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) said the use of phrases like "2b r nt 2b" or "i luv u" in exam papers would be allowed as long as candidates showed they understood the subject." so what hope do we have?Mere words cannot describe how ridiculous that is. I fear what they will come up with next.

mccaugm
04-Jul-08, 21:49
gr8 m8 sez u. fyi ur rite, txt spk no fnk u.

Pardon?.................

wifie
04-Jul-08, 21:49
LOL spot the dinosaurs - only kidding!!! Yep I agree text speak should be kept for texting. I do find it difficult though to type properly after using the chatroom as abbreviations are used there to keep the flow going. I even find myself, when writing letters, etc, having to stop myself using LOL and such - I am afraid it is just an evlolution of language as I think was mentioned in a thread on a similar vain. I am also with TBH on this one - the written English language will surely never die!

Anne x
04-Jul-08, 21:53
LOL spot the dinosaurs - only kidding!!! Yep I agree text speak should be kept for texting. I do find it difficult though to type properly after using the chatroom as abbreviations are used there to keep the flow going. I even find myself, when writing letters, etc, having to stop myself using LOL and such - I am afraid it is just an evlolution of language as I think was mentioned in a thread on a similar vain. I am also with TBH on this one - the written Enlish language will surely never die!

I totally agree I once answered a text with LOL to content they thought Id lost the plot and was sending lots of love it was my Boss at the time

I agree with TBH we should never allow our language to die

celtchicky
04-Jul-08, 22:12
i sed no as i jus seem til write this way. however i do not agree wi it for exams n at as at jus makes no sense to me. at the end of the day the difference in age on a forum makes out for a debate like is.

NickInTheNorth
04-Jul-08, 22:31
Much better idea - lets ban Percy :D

Solus
04-Jul-08, 22:36
and where do we stop if we ban text typing ?, queens english and nothing more, trix with her fantastic caithness dialogue ? should that be outlawed also. Let folk express themselves any way they feel comfortable with, providing it is not abusive or offensive.

rfr10
04-Jul-08, 22:38
Personally I don't see how you're going to ban the use of text typing on the forums and doubt that it will catch on as a rule. You can't exactly ban people for using text speech. In my opinion it's a bit like saying let's stop people with dyslexia from typing on here because they're not typing words properly. I've never yet seen a post on Caithness.org which I cannot read. We could ban arguments in the forum, we could ban people from doing many things that others may not agree with but if we did that, it would be like typing in a computer prison. I myself never use text speech when typing on online forums, emails, etc but maybe some people prefer to communicate that way, they're not meaning any disrespect from it therefore I think they should be left be. If you can't understand what they're trying to say then just ignore the post. We're in a modern world now, many many people are beginning to use text language, even in organisations in the real world. Take police cars for example which often have "R U 2 CLOSE" stickers on the back of them. Maybe some people can't spell very well so they don't want to humiliate themselves by typing words which are spelt wrong or maybe some just want to say something quick. I don't think it should be banned and I also don't think there is any way you could bann it from these forums.

Now I'm not meaning to get on at you about it but that's just what I think.

percy toboggan
04-Jul-08, 22:39
LOL spot the dinosaurs - only kidding!!!!

Maybe I am a dinosaur. A percathesaurus (in my dreams).
Only by small people like me, and hopefully you standing up in numerous small places such as the .org can this dreadful erosion of writing and speech standards be challenged.

I have no problem with kids or anyone keeping text messages short, and to the point by manipulating and strangling the language I love. Some of it is inventive, and creative to the point of hey! that's neat - if I'm honest . I have on occassion used it myself - shock! Though I prefer the full monty when texting, even to apostrophes and commas.

These people have to learn however that in the grown up world, where they are judged by people who employ, who measure and mould the productive and the paid, they require a repertoire of language and expression. We do them a favour by reminding 'em that cutting the throat of one of the worlds finest, and most expressive remaining languages is a self-effacing sin which simply consigns the compulsive text-writer to the bottom drawer. Shape up or get out.
At least poor spellers and those ,again... like me, who make the odd grammatical error are trying to contribute in conventional terms.In accepted terms. That acceptance took many years of development and lexical evolution. Of course language constantly evolves, but this sub-standard method of expressing the language could drag a generation back to the dark ages. A grunt and groan mono-syllabic medium with little merit, which compresses vocabulary to the point of uselessness. A few key words, springing from as few keys as possible.

The thin end of a rapidly accelerating wedge, text speak is for text messaging. End of message.

percy toboggan
04-Jul-08, 22:48
i sed no as i jus seem til write this way. however i do not agree wi it for exams n at as at jus makes no sense to me. at the end of the day the difference in age on a forum makes out for a debate like is.

If that's the case celtchicky then I'm, glad I'm auld(ish). Though if I thought my offspring were unable to express themselves by using 'proper' English I'd probably top me'self...no doubt pleasing that northern Nick :lol:

The other day a geezer was awarded marks simply for writing 'eff off' on his exam paper. Unlike me, he spelt it properly. We need to decide where we are going.

Re Text speak: To say it shouldn't be allowed in exams ??? Any educator who awards such atrocities any merit whatsoever should be drummed out of his job and her pension.

TBH
04-Jul-08, 22:57
and where do we stop if we ban text typing ?, queens english and nothing more, trix with her fantastic caithness dialogue ? should that be outlawed also. Let folk express themselves any way they feel comfortable with, providing it is not abusive or offensive.We shouldn't ban shorthand text but it should be restricted to where it is warranted.

armanisgirl
04-Jul-08, 23:11
[lol] poor Percy, so bored he has to start a new thread to get a debate/argument going! Sorry, Percy, I just thought it was so funny reading your first 3 sets of comments. It was like you were trying to start a debate/argument with yourself there! fair made me chuckle! Then you asked yourself a question, following it with an answer! Classic! I pefer talking to myself - whilst alone!!! I run less of a risk of being sectioned that way - you might have the men in the vans approaching your door right now seeing as you've gone public with yours! [lol]

Laugh over, serious mode now. ;) I hate reading text talk on a mobile, never mind anywhere else! I do use text talk up to a point, but hate it when my 16 year old son texts me - he says il which takes me ages to figure out means I'll. I tend to stick to minor text talk, such as ..... hope ur ok, spk soon, sum1 told me..... etc etc. but I find myself then going on the computer and trying to write emails like that! It takes me a few minutes to adjust! (I'm like that after driving my manual car and jumping into my other-halfs automatic car, and vice versa!).

I also think that English lessons in school are not what they used to be. I look at my son's work; the handwriting is awful, the spelling is quite bad, the punctuation etc lacks, and at times the grammar is poor. I remember these basics being a very important part of primary school education, never mind secondary school! Why are the standards slipping so much, and also so widespread? (It's not just a Scottish thing, the English youth is just as bad!). At times I wish I was an English teacher, as it's one of my bug-bears, I can't help mentally correcting poor spelling and punctuation! (I also know my own does occassionally slip up too! Lol).

ciderally
04-Jul-08, 23:32
thanks for wakening everyone up percy.....

percy toboggan
04-Jul-08, 23:37
[lol] poor Percy, so bored he has to start a new thread to get a debate/argument going! Sorry, Percy,.....

So you should be Madam, for I am never 'bored'.
The concept, indeed the very word itself is taboo at toboggan towers!.

ywindythesecond
04-Jul-08, 23:54
LOL spot the dinosaurs - only kidding!!! Yep I agree text speak should be kept for texting. I do find it difficult though to type properly after using the chatroom as abbreviations are used there to keep the flow going. I even find myself, when writing letters, etc, having to stop myself using LOL and such - I am afraid it is just an evlolution of language as I think was mentioned in a thread on a similar vain. I am also with TBH on this one - the written Enlish language will surely never die!

Wifie, when you used LOL, just exactly what did you mean? And what else could it have meant? Serious question, I am baffled by LOL.

wifie
05-Jul-08, 00:16
I do beg yer puddin ywindy LOL - Laugh out loud or Loads of Love - I was usin the former!
But I love ya all too! ;)

Venture
05-Jul-08, 01:05
I don't mind reading a short text message on a mobile phone but I hate when its used on here. What makes text-speak even harder to understand is the total lack of punctuation. The younger generation of texters don't have as good a knowledge of punctuation as the oldies and as for their spelling well its atrocious. Texting allows them to disguise this and develop their own personal "language". How many folk send a text back to someone saying "You've text spelt that wrong? Whatever happened to being able to spell, using proper punctuation and having legible writing as part of the English language? Is it a case of we have turned into a lazy society?

Even in school kids are not encouraged enough. With an education system now in place where you have teachers who say "It dosen't matter whether Johnnie can spell the word or not as long as he knows what it means". To be honest teachers themselves can be just as bad at spelling. Over the years I've seen many mistakes on report cards or comments in jotters for instance.

Children write very little nowadays its all text and type. They are not encouraged to write the English language in school as much as in the past. Books are seldom used in teaching because of costs and everything in school is written out for them on sheets which have the odd word to be filled in here or there or boxes ticked. Homework essays are allowed to be typed using spell check. Exams are often multi-choice questions. What has happened to pen and paper?

Mind you it's not only children who have forgotten how to write. I for one can't remember the last time I sat down and wrote a letter to someone. Its all emails now. Granted its quicker, but lazier and not so personal.

Call me old fashioned but I'm living in the hope that text-speak is just another trend that will disappear. Maybe on here I'll be lucky and able to avoid it altogether. In the real world I think I shall have a very long wait.;)

Kenn
05-Jul-08, 01:22
I could n't agree more Venture, if the younger generation do not appreciate and understand their own very exact language what hope for the future?

tigger2u
05-Jul-08, 02:49
So now the chat police want us to conform

What is the English language though ?

All over this country we have so many variations of language that the so called English language is constantly changing. Just ask the Oxford Dictionary. [lol] these variations makes us alot more intresting i think, i like to hear and see the differences in language. This can come into writings too but the text writings has its place now in phones.

But to be honest (or tbh) I cant say i have seen too much of the text typing in here. i see chat typing alot in the lol's and tbh examples, which i think are quite alright.

This can end up another one of these postings that is just to make someone feel superiour than others. What annoys me more is someone thinking they are better than me because I make a mistake in writing/typing/grammer and it happened in the first couple that i did. Just as well I'm not so A/retentive as some.

what you dont know is why some people make the mistakes or have to use abreviated txt, dont go assuming they are uneducated or lazy.

If we go with the chat police do you all really want to sound like Prince Charles or worse ? no thanks

wifie
05-Jul-08, 02:54
Well said Tiggs - yep people should think before they rant and rave - get the true picture!

brokencross
05-Jul-08, 08:16
taboo at toboggan towers!. Sounds like a good name for a cocktail or perhaps a modern country dance or if there was soldiers it could be the Military Taboo

Angela
05-Jul-08, 08:47
I don't understand the need to do it on the forums for two simple reasons...

A QWERTY keyboard is much easier to type on than a mobile keypad
A forum post has a much bigger limit on characters than a mobile text
This therefore begs the question why would anyone CHOOSE to use text speak instead of typing in full?

I agree Bob, it seems like hard work to me and I find reading a post written entirely in text speak very hard going. I do find abbreviations such as LOL, TBH, IMO, and my personal favourite ROFL :lol: very handy, although I didn't know what on earth they meant when I first joined this forum!

I've seen very few posts here with much text speak and I see no need to add to the Org rules by 'outlawing' text on the forum. Let's stick with the rules we do have and outlaw rude, offensive posting, but otherwise let folk express themselves as they wish to.

I'm a trained proofreader and any errors in spelling and grammar anywhere leap to my eye and almost 'hurt' me :eek: but I wouldn't dream of pulling folk up on any mistakes they might make just because it's my job to look for -and correct -mistakes! The English language has been evolving for centuries with many changes coming about when people begin to accept usage that was previously seen as poor/incorrect English

I believe text speak will continue in parallel to standard English, with some text, such as LOL, becoming incorporated into the language generally. That doesn't worry me - it's just another development. I see a far greater danger to the English language in the way it's now taught in schools - so little grammar that children don't learn to understand how the language works, which in turn makes it harder for them to learn any other languages.

Anyway - I'm voting against a text speak ban!

badger
05-Jul-08, 11:24
Like Angela, spelling and punctuation mistakes jump out at me and I find them distracting - that's not to say I don't make them myself but I do at least try not to. The point of language is to communicate and mistakes can lead to the wrong message being given. Txt speak is just lazy and as for it being acceptable in exams - words fail me. That just shows how standards in education have deteriorated, but we know that anyway.

What I don't understand (and maybe a younger member can explain this to me) is the need to use txt on mobile phones these days. I always have predictive turned on and don't often have to spell a word. Is txting much quicker? I suppose it does involve fewer keystrokes but if teenagers used predictive text they might learn how to spell !

I don't see the need for any more bans - just a little more consideration.

mrs_algaliarept
05-Jul-08, 11:41
The point in the txt speech for txt messages well for some people is that its shortend versions so you can fit more in a txt most younger people txt quite a lot and run out of money very quick i used to be like that when i txt my mates all the time i don't do it as often anymore but there is one reason

jings00
05-Jul-08, 12:30
i said no to banning it, but....only if used in moderation on here. the likes of LOL, IMO, stuff like that would be okay?
i do use my mobile to text a lot, but try to keep the txtpsk to there.

the_count
05-Jul-08, 12:55
I've been in chat for too long so these days i am a master of txt spk typo's and acronyms. And you cant say that its an age thing as i'm 51 lol:lol:

tigger2u
05-Jul-08, 13:39
what makes me cringe is when some of us Weegies type in the Glesga dialect and you can end up with something like this.

a cannae get ma heed roon wit awe'ra fuss is aboot

I see that in chat alot and for some of my aussie friends i have to translate lmao and I can find it tough to read it lol [lol]

cringee:confused it geeze me a pure riddie man lmao[lol]

percy toboggan
05-Jul-08, 14:03
Well said Tiggs - yep people should think before they rant and rave - get the true picture!

Some people do, and those who immediately claim such people wish to 'impose their superiority' upon others reveal a distinct inferiority complex. I'm not better, nor worse than anyone else in this forum, but I do know how to express myself in the appropriate way, dependant upon the place.

And why choose 'rant and rave' this is another classic example of over-reaction. Personally, I neither ranted, nor raved. Merely picked up an issue that has troubled me and opened it up for wider debate. It seems the very action of doing so compromises some narrow thinking folk so much they either feel they are demeaned , be-littled or subjected to 'a rant and a rave'

Before anyone accuses me of having a narrow outlook, which do you believe to be the narrower...the English language and all it's glories,
transposed onto the written page, or cu l8ter m8.?

If you have to think about this one too long I give up.

percy toboggan
05-Jul-08, 14:10
[quote=Angela;403935] Let's stick with the rules we do have and outlaw rude, offensive posting, but otherwise let folk express themselves as they wish to....

....I'm a trained proofreader..... anywhere quote]

First point: Too many people are 'offended' at the drop of a hat, and anyway these posts are often the best, funniest and merit the most replies. So long as personal verbal attacks are avoided I quite like being 'offended' not that it happens often. Next time will be the second.
Nobody has the right not to be offended.

Second point: Did you answer one of those ads. in the press? 'Proofreading' is one of those areas that seems instantly accessible.I've often wondered if the hundreds who answer the ads. ever make much money out if it.

Please do not answer, I don't want to offend with a personal question - I'm just musing out loud.

Bobbyian
05-Jul-08, 14:40
Texting as it is called is ok for those that use it as for me when someone sends me a text message it has to be still spelled out so that I can follow what they want from me otherwise they don`t get an answer.... sometimes the might as well have typed it in russian its the the same as hiding your tel nr no number in display no answer its as simple as that in other words they are showing no respect to the reader as he/her has to decipher it as for spelling mistakes ok they happen.

DeHaviLand
05-Jul-08, 18:09
I don't mind reading a short text message on a mobile phone but I hate when its used on here. What makes text-speak even harder to understand is the total lack of punctuation. The younger generation of texters don't have as good a knowledge of punctuation as the oldies and as for their spelling well its atrocious. Texting allows them to disguise this and develop their own personal "language". How many folk send a text back to someone saying "You've text spelt that wrong? Whatever happened to being able to spell, using proper punctuation and having legible writing as part of the English language? Is it a case of we have turned into a lazy society?

Oh dear Venture. How ironic, that in the very part of your post that bemoans the lack of punctuation, you appear to have missed out 6 commas!:lol:

silverfox57
05-Jul-08, 18:30
percy have to agree with you, Mobile phones,are fine if need help,to phone and speak , as for text messages on org ban there use got my vote,sorry for agreeing with you ,think that is a paradox,as your are looking for debate,

joxville
05-Jul-08, 18:49
Leave text speak for cell phones, there is no need for it on the forum. I know that a lot of people are not good at spelling but I'd rather see them make an attempt than take the easy way out which just seems to be defeatist, at least by trying they may actually improve. As for the others that use it, claiming it's quicker, I just see them as lazy.

Angela
05-Jul-08, 18:56
First point:
Nobody has the right not to be offended.

Second point: Did you answer one of those ads. in the press? 'Proofreading' is one of those areas that seems instantly accessible.I've often wondered if the hundreds who answer the ads. ever make much money out if it.

Please do not answer, I don't want to offend with a personal question - I'm just musing out loud.

You don't want me to answer? :confused Please do allow me to satisfy your curiosity on this point.

No, I didn't answer an ad in the press! All my working life I've been involved in books -as a librarian, selling new and second hand books, and in publishing, as an editor and proofreader. Nobody working 'in books' makes a great deal of money, but for most of us it's a way of life we love. Being mostly self-employed, I've turned my hand to whatever book related work presented itself to keep the pennies coming in...or indeed, to other things.

To go back to your first point - I've afraid I don't understand what you mean by 'nobody has the right not be be offended'. Do you mean people do have the right to feel offended? or that people have the right to offend others?

I can find some posts absolutely maddening and totally disagree with the views being expressed, but at the same time respect the poster and admire his/her style. I'm not offended by them! I was referring to the Org rules regarding personal attacks and unwarranted rudeness, which we really don't see all that often.

I just don't see any need for a rule forbidding text speak. How would that work anyway? Would those of us that like to use the occasional LOL or TBH be slapped on the wrist for doing so?

Or will percy's posse be riding to round us all up?[lol]

Venture
05-Jul-08, 19:12
Oh dear Venture. How ironic, that in the very part of your post that bemoans the lack of punctuation, you appear to have missed out 6 commas!:lol:

Ah DeHaviLand you forgot to mention the missing apostrophe. At least I had all the full stops and capital letters. Which is more than can be said for the texters on this forum. Feel free to check my posts anytime. You obviously enjoy it.[lol]

DeHaviLand
05-Jul-08, 19:19
Ah DeHaviLand you forgot to mention the missing apostrophe. At least I had all the full stops and capital letters. Which is more than can be said for the texters on this forum. Feel free to check my posts anytime. You obviously enjoy it.[lol]

Did I mention where you failed to close the quotation? Good job I didnt pick on Bobbyian's post. ;)

And you're right, I do enjoy your posts. Just dont let it go to your head.

Venture
05-Jul-08, 19:30
Did I mention where you failed to close the quotation? Good job I didnt pick on Bobbyian's post. ;)

And you're right, I do enjoy your posts. Just dont let it go to your head.

You, pick on people? I never would have believed that of you. ;)

I promise to try and practice what I preach from now on.:eek:

teenybash
05-Jul-08, 20:20
Using texting lingo here on the org is totally different to educators accepting it in exams..................... Two different debates here, me thinks!!
When ordinary folks start talking about 'banning' it seems a bit ott.
What is important is that we communicate and if we learn a new way to do that, it must be good. Texting is here to stay.........evolution of language, se la vie.................:p

rfr10
05-Jul-08, 20:27
I think this thread is going to make people paranoid when they type on here now incase they've shortened any words, spelt any words wrong, missed out punctuation etc. Can't we just get on the way it was before? I saw no problem in it and I've never come across any posts that can't read. Maybe some people are slow typers and don't want to type words out in full as it would take them forever.

wifie
05-Jul-08, 20:36
Some people do, and those who immediately claim such people wish to 'impose their superiority' upon others reveal a distinct inferiority complex. I'm not better, nor worse than anyone else in this forum, but I do know how to express myself in the appropriate way, dependant upon the place.

And why choose 'rant and rave' this is another classic example of over-reaction. Personally, I neither ranted, nor raved. Merely picked up an issue that has troubled me and opened it up for wider debate. It seems the very action of doing so compromises some narrow thinking folk so much they either feel they are demeaned , be-littled or subjected to 'a rant and a rave'

Before anyone accuses me of having a narrow outlook, which do you believe to be the narrower...the English language and all it's glories,
transposed onto the written page, or cu l8ter m8.?

If you have to think about this one too long I give up.

OK percathaurus wind yer neck in! (Or are you a more squat dinosaur - I have not checked my "Girl's Own Book of Dinosaurs" before typing?) Where did I mention you ranting and raving? Yes, I could have used a less over the top phrase and for that I apologise. I just agreed with tigger that people should not pounce on others' errors so readily that is all.
BTW I was enjoying this thread until you pounced on me! ;)

Solus
05-Jul-08, 20:57

:roll: oh well here we go again,

TBH
05-Jul-08, 21:07
Firstly, I think all those that cannot spell should be rounded up, blindfolded and shot. There is no room on this forum or any other for semi-literate youths that pretend that the shorthand text they use on their mobile-phone, is a new form of the written English language when in fact it is nothing more than a benchmark as to how stupid they all are. Scotland, this great nation of ours, prided itself on having the best Education system in the world but where are we now? If ignorance is bliss then the majority of our teenagers must be very happy indeed.

teenybash
05-Jul-08, 22:33
There are some people who seem to be getting a wee bit carried away with themselves with comments directed to the young and perhaps less literate..................surely the fact they are coming to the org could turn out to be a learning experience for them....spelling, grammar etc.......don't bully others with your words.....[disgust]

rfr10
05-Jul-08, 22:41
There are some people who seem to be getting a wee bit carried away with themselves with comments directed to the young and perhaps less literate..................surely the fact they are coming to the org could turn out to be a learning experience for them....spelling, grammar etc.......don't bully others with your words.....[disgust]

I was going to say something very similar myself but decided I wouldn't unless people kept on saying these things. There seems to be many comments here directed at the young ones on here and I don't think it is very fair that this is done.

TBH
05-Jul-08, 22:44
Disclaimer:
My comments were purely tongue in cheek rather than foot in mouth.;)

wifie
05-Jul-08, 22:45
Is it not possible that the young are being singled out because it is more likely for them to be using text speak - that being the general jist of the thread?

tigger2u
05-Jul-08, 22:46
I think this thread is going to make people paranoid when they type on here now incase they've shortened any words, spelt any words wrong, missed out punctuation etc. Can't we just get on the way it was before? I saw no problem in it and I've never come across any posts that can't read. Maybe some people are slow typers and don't want to type words out in full as it would take them forever.

It can and does make people think about posting and comming back again, As a new member of the org it was quite a shock, but not a surprise, to be commented on a simple error I made in one of my first post in here. Which isn't a good refection on the that person or the forum i would say. All of us type/write/read at different levels and some of the members may and i bet some do have a degree of learning difficulties. It does not mean they are stupid. I have to say though i love the banter, wit,sarcasm beteen the posts and the many views, however there are a few that try to undermie the person and make themselves look good. But for the most part I have seen many on here that dont like that attitude either.

I just seen another comment saying to round up the people that can't spell etc and shoot them. It may be in jest but remember some of these comments as some of your kids are going through the school proccess and hopefully they will be lucky enough not to have any difficutlies. But be careful cause sometimes these attitudes have a way of comming up and biting you in the ass and I'd like to see if you would want anyone with dyslexicia, dyspraxia and the many more problems children and adults face rounded up. Would you feel the same if its one of your own ?

On the main topic though I said i didnt mind some of the txt typing within the posts, but i have yet to see a serious post that has been made up entirely of this txt. so for the most part people do keep it for their phones. I dont want it banned as I think most of the people in the org dont use alot of it anyway.:roll:

TBH
05-Jul-08, 22:48
Is it not possible that the young are being singled out because it is more likely for them to be using text speak - that being the general jist of the thread?
The young are being singled out because the are inherently stoopid.:lol:

rfr10
05-Jul-08, 22:51

I agree that the young are more likely to use text speech but I do not believe that this should be highlighted by placing emphasis on this as though it is only the young people who are doing something wrong in this case. If this was the case, I could easily create a thread which is targeted at the adults on here and things the younger ones may not be happy about.

percy toboggan
05-Jul-08, 23:33

Er, no. Why would I, or others who support my view wish to see young people banned from the forum ?

percy toboggan
05-Jul-08, 23:35
....I could easily create a thread which is targeted at the adults on here and things the younger ones may not be happy about.

Do it, go on. What are the adults doing that annoys /irks/troubles you.
Don't hold back.

TBH
05-Jul-08, 23:42
Don't hold back.You ask for a drink of our irn bru then you proceed to take your false teeth out and slurp your slavering lips all over the can, disgusting us so much that we have to say, "nah you keep it grandad."

percy toboggan
05-Jul-08, 23:45
OK percathaurus wind yer neck in! (Or are you a more squat dinosaur - I have not checked my "Girl's Own Book of Dinosaurs" before typing?) .....BTW I was enjoying this thread until you pounced on me! ;)

I think a percathesaurus would have those triangular plate things all the way up the length of his slender brass neck. To deflect brickbats and the odd verbal assault from above....and below. Definitely squat and compact - happily for a girl (old cosmetic joke there btw wifey):).

NB...btw = a literary outrage

percy toboggan
05-Jul-08, 23:48
You ask for a drink of our irn bru then you proceed to take your false teeth out and slurp your slavering lips all over the can, disgusting us so much that we have to say, "nah you keep it grandad."

As a grandad with most of his own peggies I take great exception to this.
We all know most of you young uns up there are onto the Tennants Super by the age of ??...and I demand a slurp...pop don't cut it.:Razz

rfr10
05-Jul-08, 23:51
Don't hold back.

Now this is not aimed at you or anything but I'd complain about..

1. The constant moaning about things which you would expect a child to moan about but not an adult.

2. Picking out posts to complain about, even though there are a few similar but it's the young person's that gets picked out.

3. Use of complex vocabulary which some young people may not understand and use of proper English when us youngsters would prefer to use text language which is much more sophisticated ;)

4. Always using the terms "bairns" "kids" etc.. to describe a teenager

5. Often having granny and grandad conversations about how lovely the cows looked in the fields today :lol: .. that's just a random one

6. Posting topics which are totally irrelevant to young people. How would you all like it if there were only 4 or 5 adults on here and the "kids" took over the forums with much more exciting topics :P

7. People who complain at young people for stating a comment which shows that they have more intelligence and common sense than some adults.

8. Adults who moan about gurny teenagers who moan at the adults for complaining about them being gurny teenagers when.. well.. we're teenagers, that's what we do best so you respect that :lol:

oh and did I mention... moany adults who post messages implying that they are more superior to young people.

The end...

percy toboggan
05-Jul-08, 23:52
to return to seriousness, or at least semi-seriousness the poll has been an interesting exercise. I feel sure some orchestration, and mobilisation of the younger vote has rallied the nay-sayers - possibly by using text messaging.

An early surge of ayes had me thinking I was onto a winner but the truth is it's fairly close.

Not a bad thread methinks, and perhaps meandering to a close.

rfr10
05-Jul-08, 23:56
to return to seriousness, or at least semi-seriousness the poll has been an interesting exercise. I feel sure some orchestration, and mobilisation of the younger vote has rallied the nay-sayers - possibly by using text messaging.

An early surge of ayes had me thinking I was onto a winner but the truth is it's fairly close.

Not a bad thread methinks, and perhaps meandering to a close.

Not until you give me your comments on my above post :D.

percy toboggan
05-Jul-08, 23:59
rfr: sorry to revert to type in my advanced state of adulthood but quality is more important than quantity. Just one specific 'complaint' well thought out and rational would have been better than eight generalisations.Number 4 was reasonable, I can see that would annoy most teenagers who think themselves 'grown up' and serious.

I thought the almost constant cynicism of people of a certain age might have had you railing... or the 'it was better in my day' brigade and the rose tinted specs mob.
Incidentally I don't think one can really be 'more' superior...you're either superior or you're not....though I'm prepared to be corrected, too many young people aren't.

rfr10
06-Jul-08, 00:04
rfr: sorry to revert to type in my advanced state of adulthood but quality is more important than quantity. Just one specific 'complaint' well thought out and rational would have been better than eight generalisations.Number 4 was reasonable, I can see that would annoy most teenagers who think themselves 'grown up' and serious.

I thought the almost constant cynicism of people of a certain age might have had you railing... or the 'it was better in my day' brigade and the rose tinted specs mob.
Incidentally I don't think one can really be 'more' superior...you're either superior or you're not....though I'm prepared to be corrected, too many young people aren't.

Well I wouldn't really complain about all those, I just had to think of as much as possible so that I could back my other comment up :Razz.

Well giving that Superior means of high quality/ performance then I'd expect you can get such thing as "more superior" Someone may be superior but then you may get someone even more superior than this meaning that they are of higher quality than the other less superior being :)

percy toboggan
06-Jul-08, 00:37
...Well giving that Superior means of high quality/ performance then I'd expect you can get such thing as "more superior" Someone may be superior but then you may get someone even more superior than this meaning that they are of higher quality than the other less superior being :)

I've enjoyed our well natured joust rfr but superior simply means better. Cut and dried. Has nowt to do with quality.
Something can be dreadful, absolutely rotten and still be better than what it's compared with.

The less 'superior being' will be inferior .
Degrees of superiority can be indicated by rank of course...and having just thought of that particular example I realise I've shot myself in my rather inferior foot.
G'night. :lol:

wifie
06-Jul-08, 02:16
Er, no. Why would I, or others who support my view wish to see young people banned from the forum ?

Percy min you are just no catchin my drift here tonight at all! I don't for one second think that! I just meant that they were targeted as the main users of txt speak in the thread! Anyhow I thought it was the use not the users you wanted stopped! Sheesh maybe my grasp of the english language is escaping me here! :confused

wifie
06-Jul-08, 02:18
NB...btw = a literary outrage

Percy perhaps NB was once a literary outrage to the latin scholars of the day!

Tilter
06-Jul-08, 13:37
Young people have always had slang/different language to differentiate themselves from and render themselves incomprehensible to the idiot older generation who understand nothing at all. In 2008 it happens to be texting.

5. Often having granny and grandad conversations about how lovely the cows looked in the fields today :lol: .. that's just a random one
Brilliant. It's amazing how the beauty of the landscape somehow starts to become evident into your 40's and 50's where before you never even noticed a landscape was there.

Slightly off-topic, but how do you do question marks and things on a mobile? (A young person kindly gave me my mobile (unfortunately with no instructions) because apparently the old one I was using was hysterical and I became ashamed to be seen out with it.) I'm doing better at texting now I've managed to get rid of the predictive texting, though a short text takes me half an hour, but how can I make sense to my recipient without basics like a full stop and ? mark?

Sapphire2803
06-Jul-08, 13:54
On most phones, with predictive texting switched off. Repeated pressing of the number 1 key will give a selection.

Tilter
06-Jul-08, 14:15
On most phones, with predictive texting switched off. Repeated pressing of the number 1 key will give a selection.

Wow. So it does. Thank you very much Sapphire - it's greatly appreciated.

Venture
06-Jul-08, 15:53

Thanks from me too Sapphire. At the press of a button I've discovered symbols I've been looking for for months.:eek:

rfr10
06-Jul-08, 17:35
Young people have always had slang/different language to differentiate themselves from and render themselves incomprehensible to the idiot older generation who understand nothing at all. In 2008 it happens to be texting.

Brilliant. It's amazing how the beauty of the landscape somehow starts to become evident into your 40's and 50's where before you never even noticed a landscape was there.

Slightly off-topic, but how do you do question marks and things on a mobile? (A young person kindly gave me my mobile (unfortunately with no instructions) because apparently the old one I was using was hysterical and I became ashamed to be seen out with it.) I'm doing better at texting now I've managed to get rid of the predictive texting, though a short text takes me half an hour, but how can I make sense to my recipient without basics like a full stop and ? mark?

Would you like a young expert to come and teach you how to use your phone? ;)

percy toboggan
06-Jul-08, 19:48
I chose my words too hastily when I set this poll.
Rather than 'outlawed' I should have chosen 'discouraged' for I feel the result would have been much more emphatic.

ywindythesecond
06-Jul-08, 22:22

Is that a euphemism?

Sapphire2803
07-Jul-08, 00:45
Disclaimer:
My comments were purely tongue in cheek rather than foot in mouth.;)

I like that a lot, must remember it. :lol:

As for text speak, I don't mind the odd bit thrown in here and there. Just as long as it's easy for non text speakers to decipher.

So, for me...

Discourage it? yes. Ban it? No.

Sapphire2803
07-Jul-08, 00:46
Wow. So it does. Thank you very much Sapphire - it's greatly appreciated.

Thanks from me too Sapphire. At the press of a button I've discovered symbols I've been looking for for months.:eek:

You're very welcome. :D

rfr10
07-Jul-08, 10:39
Is that a euphemism?

:lol: No it isn't actually even though it probably sounded like it. The ";)" smiley probably didn't help either.

Tilter
07-Jul-08, 14:01
Many thanks for your kind offer RFR. Other young experts have offered me lessons too, but I suspect I’m far too old and dottled to take it all in. Anyway, I hardly use the thing (as you can see from my posts) and Sapphire has got me sorted.

Glad I wasn’t alone Venture.

Is that a euphemism?

Windy leave him be. Young experts impress me. (I've just tried to inject a smiley and thumbs up here but naturally made a hash of it. :-) ;-) )

Tilter
07-Jul-08, 14:06
PS: I forgot to say, I'm amazed the poll is showing a majority against text speak on the forum. I voted to allow it - can't see what's wrong with it. When I've learned more I shall pepper my posts with it.

What is ROFL?

Blondie
07-Jul-08, 14:08
Rolling on floor laughing

trix
07-Jul-08, 16:55
Rolling on floor laughing

fit am doin ifanow efter readin 'iss thried [lol]

percy toboggan
07-Jul-08, 18:35
Sixty odd votes and fiteen hundred views, and I think the result is becoming clear. For such a draconian idea as a 'ban' or 'outlawing' I find the results heartening and thank all who responded in the affirmative. It's obvious this practice gets on peoples wicks (sorry) and many of those who champion text type speak are very young...that's not their fault.

(tongue in cheek comment, in case you were wondrin')

hotrod4
07-Jul-08, 18:38
If text speak was banned then we would lose a member.
As TBH is an abbreviation and txt speak for "to be honest" then surely he would have to go as well? ;)
Isnt txt speak just another form of abbreviation? I dont use it alot myself but do use words like c u l8er as its quicker. If text was to be "banned" then would abbreviations also fall into that category?. Or would they get a reprieve? We would then lose LOL,IMHO to name but 2.
If you use it,use it sparingly but I dont see why it would annoy people,its the same as using local dialect, no problem with that either ye kin fit a mean mannies and wifies? :)

hotrod4
07-Jul-08, 18:41
Sixty odd votes and fiteen hundred views, and I think the result is becoming clear. For such a draconian idea as a 'ban' or 'outlawing' I find the results heartening and thank all who responded in the affirmative. It's obvious this practice gets on peoples wicks (sorry) and many of those who champion text type speak are very young...that's not their fault.

(tongue in cheek comment, in case you were wondrin')

So only thanking those that voted with you and not against you, no point in having a poll then!!!! Thats not very Christian/Charitable/toboganist is it? ;)

thx for e poll imho it was good tbh, c u l8er m8 lol

percy toboggan
07-Jul-08, 19:35
So only thanking those that voted with you and not against you, no point in having a poll then!!!! Thats not very Christian/Charitable/toboganist is it? ;)

thx for e poll imho it was good tbh, c u l8er m8 lol

You're mistaking me for another tobogganist I'm afraid old chum...I'm not particularly Christian, much less charitable...though I hope I thanked all respondents earlier...if you have the inclination to trawl tthrough all the posts you might see that. I thanked 'supporters' in summation, because I had nought else to add. Then you came along. :lol:

weeboyagee
07-Jul-08, 21:53
I av no prblm wi txt spk on here - jst read it as norm. Wots e fus bout it? Gr8 wen ur in a huray.

But then the computer keyboard is a dashed site faster than a mobile key pad! I know a couple of younger friends who use text speak on the forums and msn - it hides their bad spelling with great ease! :D

WBG :cool:

TBH
07-Jul-08, 21:59
Many thanks for your kind offer RFR. Other young experts have offered me lessons too, but I suspect I’m far too old and dottled to take it all in. Anyway, I hardly use the thing (as you can see from my posts) and Sapphire has got me sorted.

Glad I wasn’t alone Venture.

Windy leave him be. Young experts impress me. (I've just tried to inject a smiley and thumbs up here but naturally made a hash of it. :-) ;-) )Young experts being an Oxymoron?

TBH
07-Jul-08, 22:01
If text speak was banned then we would lose a member.
As TBH is an abbreviation and txt speak for "to be honest" then surely he would have to go as well? ;)
Isnt txt speak just another form of abbreviation? I dont use it alot myself but do use words like c u l8er as its quicker. If text was to be "banned" then would abbreviations also fall into that category?. Or would they get a reprieve? We would then lose LOL,IMHO to name but 2.
If you use it,use it sparingly but I dont see why it would annoy people,its the same as using local dialect, no problem with that either ye kin fit a mean mannies and wifies? :)TBH is not an abreviation, it is my real name.

rfr10
07-Jul-08, 22:07
Young experts being an Oxymoron?

Don't be so cheeky:Razz

TBH
07-Jul-08, 22:20
Don't be so cheeky:Razz
Disclaimer:
My comments were purely tongue in cheek rather than foot in mouth.;)Sorry rf10, it wont happen again, I promise.:lol:

Moira
07-Jul-08, 22:33
Great topic Percy. Your poll was flawed by your own admission.

I enjoyed your interaction with rfr10 and the fact that he ran rings around you. This is a young man with ambition - more pedal to his metal I say!

Kevin Milkins
08-Jul-08, 00:27
Blimey, I am only just getting into trixtalk and now its texttalk.lol.
Its a good job that I dont speak Welsh.:D

hotrod4
08-Jul-08, 07:50
TBH is not an abreviation, it is my real name.

Deepest apologies,but what language exactly is the name TBH? is it latin,swedish,afrikaan?
I only ask as its a bit different than the usual- John,Kevin etc ? ;) (sorry couldnt resist,got to get another point!) lol

rfr10
08-Jul-08, 10:12
Here are some of the many text abbreviations you may find these days to end the thread of :Razz .. or maybe not...

AFAIK
As far as I know
ATB
All the best
BTW
By the way
CID
Consider it done
CUL8R
See you later
EZ
Easy
H&K
Hug and kiss
HHIS
Hanging my head in shame
IYSS
If you says so
KOTL Kiss on the lips
LOL Laughed out loud / Lots of luck
LTS Laughing to self
L8R G8R
See you later alligator
LUWAMH
Love you with all my heart
JM2p
Just my two pence worth
OTOH
On the other hand
2MORO
Tomorrow
CU 2MORO
See you tomorrow
ROFL
Rolling on the floor laughing
SHID
Slaps head in disgust
SOHF Sense of humour failure
THX or TX
Thanks
TTFN
Ta ta for now
TWIMC
To whom it may concern
oxoxoxoxo
Hugs and kisses
WYSIWYG
What you see is what you get
YBS
You'll be sorry
YKWYCD
You know what you could do
YTLKIN2ME
You talking to me?
YYSSW Yeah, yeah, sure, sure, whatever

and if there are any text abbreviations that you would REALLY like to know about then just ask me and I'm sure I'll be able to tell you.

joxville
08-Jul-08, 10:24
DILLIGAF or DYTIGAF.
You'll need to pm me for meaning.

wifie
08-Jul-08, 11:04
THX rfr10 always wondered what oxoxoxoxoxoxo meant but had never asked! Have to say my texting is a mix of real and txt spk but I do love to text - so handy!

TBH
08-Jul-08, 11:17
Deepest apologies,but what language exactly is the name TBH? is it latin,swedish,afrikaan?
I only ask as its a bit different than the usual- John,Kevin etc ? ;) (sorry couldnt resist,got to get another point!) lolAnother point, I'd prefer another pint. But anyhoo it's it is Indonesian.

helenwyler
08-Jul-08, 11:31
Sorry, off topic, but rfr10's list of abbreviations reminded me of these East Asian keyboard emoticons, which I like because they're so inventive...and you don't have to break your neck trying to look at them the right way up:). I've deleted a lot in the interests of brevity, and decorum on the forum ;).

East Asian style

Complex examples

)-0_0-( astonishment
(`_^) or (^_~) wink (>_<) or (>_>) in pain, frustration
(\_/) evil, furious
\(^o^)/very excited (raising hands)
(-_-) or (~_~) or (~.~) or (=_=)annoyance, scorn, or tired (eyes shut), grumpy
(¬_¬) looking askance / rolling eyes, esp. when around dumb behavior
(@_@) addled, dazed, bemused
(O_O) or O.o or °_° shocked (._.)
(v_v) silent resignation
(9_9) gazing upward
(e_e) mischief, distrust, exasperation
(/_\) profound dismay
I_I "What?", mellow
^_^=blushing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blush), or a cat face (mischievous)
=' т '= Lion/Cat
*^_^* or ^///^blushing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blush)
fO_o scratching head
d-_-b listening to music
~~~~>_<~~~~weeping horribly
\,,/(^_^)\,,/ happy rockin'
><((((º> Something fishy.
(/.\) Shouldn't have said that...
¯\(°_0)/¯)Shrug
d=(^_^)=b Thumbs up

Tilter
08-Jul-08, 11:53
Here are some of the many text abbreviations you may find these days to end the thread of :Razz .. or maybe not...
. . . .

and if there are any text abbreviations that you would REALLY like to know about then just ask me and I'm sure I'll be able to tell you.

Thx rfr m8. Btw you missed off roflmao from the list (but I'm just showing off now)

rfr10
08-Jul-08, 14:23
Thx rfr m8. Btw you missed off roflmao from the list (but I'm just showing off now)

That's only a short list though. If I have you the whole list, it would be pages and pages long. :Razz

percy toboggan
08-Jul-08, 17:43
Why would anyone want to write 'to whom it may concern' on a text message?
For pity's sake don't answer.Thank You. Over and out.

lazytown
08-Jul-08, 18:06
A lot of these text abbrevations come from IRC (Chat).

The first text message was sent in 1992 but texting did not really take off until 1998-1999.
Internet chat was popular in 1994-95 ish (AOL chat rooms, Compuserve, MIRC etc) and these were very popular.

danc1ngwitch
09-Jul-08, 17:00
Something is missing from this forum these last few weeks.
A good argument is hard to find. Call it debate if you want but it adds up to the same thing - dissent and brimstone.
I'm strugglin' for summat controversial to bother you with.
Owz about knives...or compulsory leg breaking for drug addicts or some such sharia-like option.

Agreement , dull acquiescence and back slapping is all very well, but it's disagreement that gets us all going.

I'd welcome a rule to ban the use of text type speech in this forum.
The people who organise this site must surely themselves despair at the intrusion of such an economic style of communication. It's all very well on a one inch square plastic screen when brevity is de rigueur, but this forum is for people who can put in a bit of effort, and use the Queens (ooeer) English (oooeerr).
We should have a vote...now, there's an idea.
Man ur mad.

wifie
09-Jul-08, 17:26
Why would anyone want to write 'to whom it may concern' on a text message?
For pity's sake don't answer.Thank You. Over and out.

He he percy (sorry I had to answer) I think it might be texters tryin to be a bit ironic! ;) Percathesaurus strikes again or should I say lives seein as he is a dinosaur! :)

percy toboggan
09-Jul-08, 17:34
Man ur mad.

From you I'll take that as a compliment.