PDA

View Full Version : When is it safe to let a new cat out?

scorrie
04-Jul-08, 19:24
Hi, due to my Mum-in-law being seriously ill we had to take her cat into our home. He is male and 2 years old and our own cat is female and 16. There was a lot of hissing and growling the first day and there is still the odd confrontation. Our own cat is flitting in and out a lot more than usual but our new resident has settled in really well after being a saucer-eyed nervous wreck last Saturday. The concept of upstairs was new to him but he was quick to adapt to that. We have had him outside a couple of times on a harness and lead but are worried that if we let him out he might try to get back to his old home on the other side of town. Anyone know how long he should wait before going out on his own and whether he would be likely to try to find his old territory? Many thanks

ps He seems relaxed here now if this photo is a guide!!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/Hamish003.jpg

Liz
04-Jul-08, 19:32
Oh what a gorgeous cat!!!! I absolutely adore ginger cats!
I am so sorry about your mum-in-law.
You are in right in thinking that he might go back to his old home so would wait another two or three weeks before letting him out on his own if you can manage. I suppose at least you would know where he would be though!
When you do let him out it is best to do so before you feed him so that hunger should make him come home.
I would recommend a Feliway plug in diffuser to help your older cat accept the new arrival more. It releases pheromones which relax cats and help them adjust to new situations. The cheapest place I have found for this is www.vetuk.co.uk
Mind you it looks like he has made himself at home!

scorrie
04-Jul-08, 22:39
Many thanks Liz!! :)

Margaret M.
05-Jul-08, 04:12
Lovely kitty, Scorrie, and he does look right at home already. I did a search to see if there was anything to the rubbing butter on their paws stuff that my mother used to do years ago and seemingly it does work.

This from one of the websites, I read:

Do not let the cat outdoors unsupervised for a few weeks or they may try to return to your last house. When the time comes for going out, take some of the cat's bedding or litter and spread it around outside, near the garden, around the backyard, just make sure you put it out there. If the cat or cats get lost, they will smell the litter and know it is theirs. Other cats will know this is their turf as well.

When he or she is ready to go out, you can either place them on a cat leash and harness or walk with them to the area where you sprinkled their litter and let them smell it; so that they'll know that the house is their new home.

An old wives tale that seems to work is when you want a cat to know that it is in its new home and that it's safe, is to put a little butter on one of their paws. They will lick it off and be more settled and clean themselves.
Put the butter on the cat's paws right before letting it go outside for the first time. It will pick up soil from around your new home and ingest it as it is cleaning itself. This may help to imprint the new place as home.
Cream Cheese also works instead of butter.

Liz
05-Jul-08, 12:44
Many thanks Liz!! :)

You are very welcome. I am sure he wouldn't go far as he looks very content.

scorrie
07-Jul-08, 22:58
Lovely kitty, Scorrie, and he does look right at home already. I did a search to see if there was anything to the rubbing butter on their paws stuff that my mother used to do years ago and seemingly it does work.

This from one of the websites, I read:

Do not let the cat outdoors unsupervised for a few weeks or they may try to return to your last house. When the time comes for going out, take some of the cat's bedding or litter and spread it around outside, near the garden, around the backyard, just make sure you put it out there. If the cat or cats get lost, they will smell the litter and know it is theirs. Other cats will know this is their turf as well.

When he or she is ready to go out, you can either place them on a cat leash and harness or walk with them to the area where you sprinkled their litter and let them smell it; so that they'll know that the house is their new home.

An old wives tale that seems to work is when you want a cat to know that it is in its new home and that it's safe, is to put a little butter on one of their paws. They will lick it off and be more settled and clean themselves.
Put the butter on the cat's paws right before letting it go outside for the first time. It will pick up soil from around your new home and ingest it as it is cleaning itself. This may help to imprint the new place as home.
Cream Cheese also works instead of butter.

Thanks for the tips Margaret. My wife's Sister said something similar after I had posted here, about butter on the paws and that by the time the cat had cleaned it off he was supposed to have settled any notion of taking off quickly.

We are actually OK with him now by way of an accident. I went out to water plants the other day and forgot to close the Kitchen door. By time I remembered, our new pal was at my back and sniffing around. We gave him ten minutes or so outside and by the next day he was out for half an hour and came back in on his own. He has done really well and is a great big lumbering giant of a cat. He is very gentle and quiet, main hobbies are eating and sleeping!! He has been a pleasure to look after thus far.

Still some friction between the two cats though and I am sending away for some Feliway as Liz advised. Will not be using Pets at Home, as they want £26.99 for the same product!!

Thanks for replying.