PDA

View Full Version : Virus Warning

Dusty
04-Jul-08, 08:22
Recieved the following at work, thought it may interest some.

Virus Alert: Windows Live Messenger

Comms Type:

Important Information

Date/Time:

3rd July 2008, 1650hrs

Information Detail:

Over the last few days we have been experiencing a number of issues with viruses being introduced into our environment via Windows Live Messenger

Our Desktop support engineers have been working with users who have reported problems by either 'cleaning' their infected computer or in some cases performing a full rebuild.

As yet, we do not know the full extent of the problem and how it manifests and spreads. However, until we have more information on this, 'where possible' please do not use Windows Live Messenger and under no circumstances should you accept any file transfers or open any suspicious looking attachments.

As yet, there is no evidence to support this virus being introduced via the standard Windows Messenger application and you can continue to use this as normal.

We will continue to work on trying to get to the root cause and full extent of this issue and how to implement a resolution.

Site IT Coordinator

Angela
04-Jul-08, 08:58
Dusty, this happened to me a few weeks ago. I started getting very strange IMs at odd times from my daughter who often chats to me on msn in her lunchbreak. Suddenly she seemed to be at her desk at very unlikely hours -7am and midnight for instance! :eek:

The virus had infected all the computers in her office. Ironically she works for an ISP.....

The first time I clicked on a link in 'her' message which wasn't from her at all....the link took me to a completely irrelevant site and at that point I did realise something was amiss and scanned for viruses straight away. No viruses found thankfully :)but I did continue getting these odd IMs from her address for about a week or so.

It's all sorted now and no damage done to my pc. I didn't have to stop using Windows Live Messenger, I just had to make sure I looked very carefully at every message that popped up before I replied to it.

cuddlepop
04-Jul-08, 11:46
A friend told us last month to be carefull when opening up our emails from even people we know that have attachments as the virus is getting in that way too.:~(

teenybash
04-Jul-08, 11:59
My Pc was doing some odd things and despite scanning etc nothing was found..Discovered a free to use programme that found the virus right away aswell as trojans and spyware galore................ Its called Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal and can be downloaded from www.IObit.com (http://www.IObit.com)
PC is running perfect now.

scrumpysteve
04-Jul-08, 14:03
Just bought a new hard drive yesterday for the laptop as I couldn't use the other without having to reformat. I've kept the old one until I can find the time and means to access the files still on it.

Reinstalled all the drivers and software, went online and downloaded AVG, downloaded Lavasoft Ad-Aware for the anti spyware and ran it.

Bearing in mind I'd only been online for emails and for an insurance quote, Ad-Aware found 29 threats this morning! Hadn't even used the laptop last night. :confused

Wonder if these people who write and send these ever get infected themselves? I hope so.

Liz
04-Jul-08, 14:16
Wonder if these people who write and send these ever get infected themselves? I hope so.

If there is any justice they will!:mad:

scrumpysteve
04-Jul-08, 14:29
My Pc was doing some odd things and despite scanning etc nothing was found..Discovered a free to use programme that found the virus right away aswell as trojans and spyware galore................ Its called Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal and can be downloaded from www.IObit.com (http://www.IObit.com)

Thanks for that Teeny. Just downloaded it and it's cleared all sorts of junk.... after less than a day! Would recommend this to anyone.:)

golach
04-Jul-08, 14:37
Had this installed on my pc by my Puter Doctor, and I think it is wonderful

joxville
04-Jul-08, 18:24
Its called Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal and can be downloaded from www.IObit.com (http://www.IObit.com)

Thanks for the link teeny, I've downloaded and scanned my pc for free. It's found loads of threats to my pc-something that I would have expected Kaspersky to do considering I paid good money for it. I feel as if I've given PC World £50 for a box of rubbish.[mad]

bobbyjoeufb
07-Jul-08, 20:17
Anyone else having problems just now with their pc?

I find that everytime I open internet explorer i get random pop ups, also when I open up explorer to view files it closes and the start button and task bar disapears!

I have tried various spywear checkers and ran my virius checker but still have the problem, I did reformat the hard drive and installed a fresh copy of windows which sorted the problem for a few days, but now its back.

Looking for sugestions on what to try next?