PDA

View Full Version : Council Double Standards

philupmaboug
03-Jul-08, 11:09
Asked an officious official from Tech services today if they could come and cut the grass on their ground along the verge next to my wall as it is very untidy and obstructing me from maintaining my boundry wall. I was told that they don't have the resources to do this but I was welcome to do it myself! I pointed out that if it were my ground and I lived in the town, I would get a visit and a fine from the community warden....... "yes you probably would" was the answer!!! Double Standards or what.

This means that I pay £1200 a year to get my bucket emptied once a week as I don't have street lighting, pavements or recycling bins for my council tax payment. His answer was that "you choose where you want to live not me"! obviously a customer service drop out......... ring a Bell?

Is any one else unhappy with the disappearing service we recieve or is it just me?

concerned resident
03-Jul-08, 11:31
Join the Club, i live in the Country, and the only Service i get from the Council is getting my Bin emptied. Thank good ness the SNP saved me another increase of £50 this year.
Our Local Council are now just puppets of Inverness, who pull all the strings, People do not seam to care, so i now do not even vote in local elections, as they are a waste of time.

skinnydog
03-Jul-08, 13:12
Sometimes the council realy takes the biscuit.
Last year we moved into a new house in the country not far from the recycling center, as we were not on the recycling pick up route I was keen to continue the recycling of glass, papers etc so I called the council to see if I could get some of the blue bins used for the kerbside recycling as our previous ones were left at our old house when we moved.
The lady at the Highland council help desk told me that I could not get the bins as my post code was not in the kerbside recycling route. I then explained that although I now lived in the country I wanted to continue to recycle by takine the glass, paper etc to the recycling center myself.
I was told I would not get the bins and just to put all the glass, paper etc in the normal bin.
I called the head of the tec services in Wick and told him that it did not seem good policy and after a struggle I did get the blue bins delivered.

peter macdonald
03-Jul-08, 14:51
Yet more cut backs but they have to pay for their building in Wick somehow
I was asking a mate down in Sutherland had he noticed in improvement in services since the council renovated the old tech school in Golspie The answer was unprintable The council should realise where the cash comes from ..and at this moment the people who are providing it are not get much in return
PM

rupert
03-Jul-08, 18:22
We live out in the country but near a main road. After all the winter weather and continual gritting of the road I noticed a huge hole had developed at the edge of the road where our drive joins it. I phoned the council and asked, very nicely, if they could at some point when they were passing my way, please repair it. Nothing happened for a week or so and then one day on my way out, a council truck arrived so I thought 'brill when I get back I wont have to drive the car through the pit anymore'. Imagine my astonishment when I got home and found the pit still a pit and not been touched and they had patched a tiny bit of road just beyond the driveway!! Were they blind or just **** stupid? Anyway, I gave up and OH keeps filling it in with stones as best he can. Oooooh I'm so cross with them though!

2little2late
03-Jul-08, 21:57
Try this link. It seems to work in most cases.
http://www.fixmystreet.com/

cuddlepop
04-Jul-08, 11:25
Try this link. It seems to work in most cases.
http://www.fixmystreet.com/

Since we moved into our street in 2003 the footpaths have been a disgrace.Full of holes and weeds.
Community Council are sick and tired of complaining about it.
Have tried reporting this matter on this link.
I wait with baited breath.;)

veekay
04-Jul-08, 16:29
I too live in the country and have only the bin collection to boast for my £1200 or whatever it is per annum. When I had the cheek to ask the council for help recently I was told as you have all said that this isn't available as I live in the country. So, I asked, what do I pay for then well the reply went look at the facilities you have available to you the schools - Thurso and Wick both in dire straights, libraries - now I love the library but the choice of books does seem to be dwindling, swimming pools - enough said! oh and look at the wonderful pool you have in Inverness!!!!!!!!!!! The person concerned then went on to wax lyrical about the fire and rescue service - wonderful people doing wonderful work but I have been told they wouldn't get to me quickly ( because I live int he country) if I was unfortunate to have a fire. Oh yes and the police - well least said about Northern the better ( not the poor bobby on the street but the management or lack of, leaves me in despair).
There is definately an Inverness and area bias. I presume we pay the same amount in council tax as those living in the city I don't think double standards cover it really.

Rant over
sorry I feel better now