PDA

View Full Version : Well Done 'Gers!

weeboyagee
06-Dec-05, 22:48
Well, what can I say (cough...),.....ahem,.....er,..... well done youz guyz - flying the flag for Scotland - hope you can do it in the final 16. Can't honestly comment on yer Manager's future but well done anyway! :D It's good to have a great night and something to be proud of and look forward to when you're not doing so well at home....... WBG :cool:

daviddd
06-Dec-05, 22:50
I take it Rangers at least drew then?

krieve
06-Dec-05, 22:52
yes they drew 1 -1

DrSzin
06-Dec-05, 22:57
Yup, they qualified for the last 16, but they still achieved the unholy grail of ten-in-a-row. What a fabulous juxtaposition. :)

fed-ex
06-Dec-05, 23:00
Rangers got lucky. If they had gone into the UEFA cup they might have won it but now they will get ripped apart by one of the top teams like Lyon or Barcelona. Hopefully Mcleish stays as he is the reason that Rangers are so poor with his rubbish signings.

moshmosh
06-Dec-05, 23:04
Well I think I may have to purchase some fake nails because mine have been chewed to bits. :) Even if we do get annihilated in the next round we'll have an extra bit of cash for the next manager to spend... even if it is on flops.

ATHRoss
06-Dec-05, 23:05
Personally I am delighted.

I am pleased for the Scottish UEFA co-efficient and, more importantly, it removes a significant bug-bear from Scottish teams reputation around Europe.

I know that Celtic have tried and not managed this recently, and I know that Rangers will possibly get beaten in the next round, but they are there and that counts for a lot.

Equally importantly, I am delighted for all my friends and colleagues who support Rangers as they deserve something special this year in particular.

Dons_Lad
07-Dec-05, 14:00
^^ No way, this will give them cannon fodder to boost their already inflated ego's now. I had one of my Gers' mates text me last night saying, "Oh, weren't not rubbish now are we!!", nothing changed last night, bar a little record. The team is still gash, they can't cut it in the SPL, they just barely scrape through an easy group and think everything's magical in the world again.

I'm happy about the Scottish co-efficient, which thanks to Rangers and Celtic it's been getting beefed up yearly, but this is the worst Rangers team in years and they will likely get a gubbing fae Barca or Milan in the next round!

scorrie
07-Dec-05, 18:36
Well, what can I say (cough...),.....ahem,.....er,..... well done youz guyz - flying the flag for Scotland - hope you can do it in the final 16. Can't honestly comment on yer Manager's future but well done anyway! :D It's good to have a great night and something to be proud of and look forward to when you're not doing so well at home....... WBG :cool:

I suppose it is an achievement of some sort but am not convinced that it was worthy of the seven pages of exultation in the Daily Mail this morning!! The reality is that the team they were playing had already qualified and Rangers still had to wait to the last minute in case a goal went in at the quagmire where the other teams in the group were playing. I think the only way anyone would have scored in that game would have been if they had used a five iron to take a penalty!!

Unless Rangers reach at least the semi finals then I don't think that there is going to be much achievement to be taken out of squeezing through in Europe while on a run of ten games without a win. It seems much more like a case of taking some crumbs of comfort from having done something that Celtic did not manage to do. This is the mentality that continues to hold back progress on both sides of the Old Firm, with the primary objective being to be "less bad" than the other "mob".

As George Orwell might have said:- "Double Plus Ungood"

weeboyagee
08-Dec-05, 10:30
I agree with you Scorrie. My post is more levelled at the fact that a Scottish team (regardless who they are) have made it through to the final 16 (regardless of how they got there). In my mind, that has done Scottish football a power of good when you consider that (no matter how good or bad they played) the great Man U failed last night.

I did not think it was a good game, in fact I thought that the standard was poor from both teams. I have also said what I think of their performance in the SPL to date and for my money there is no way that I would be hanging on to AMcL, and certainly not now.

Rangers have been a powerhouse in Scottish football regardless what the rest of us think (or how we love to down those who compete against our own particular favourites! Hibs,......baaaah, Humbug!). They are not doing so well this year and it is their turn to take the medicine but if it was Hearts and they had just qualified to the last 16 by hook or by crook - you're darn tootin' right I'd be doing cartwheels. I think I would stop short at being the bolshy mate of Dons Lad who seems to think that it makes them "better than all the rest" again! WBG :cool:

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Dec-05, 13:18
Eck: Simply The Best.

Bo Derek's film debut, Beautiful South's best song, Pearl Jam's debut album - 10. And counting.

Dons_Lad
08-Dec-05, 14:15
I agree with you Scorrie. My post is more levelled at the fact that a Scottish team (regardless who they are) have made it through to the final 16 (regardless of how they got there). In my mind, that has done Scottish football a power of good when you consider that (no matter how good or bad they played) the great Man U failed last night.

I did not think it was a good game, in fact I thought that the standard was poor from both teams. I have also said what I think of their performance in the SPL to date and for my money there is no way that I would be hanging on to AMcL, and certainly not now.

Rangers have been a powerhouse in Scottish football regardless what the rest of us think (or how we love to down those who compete against our own particular favourites! Hibs,......baaaah, Humbug!). They are not doing so well this year and it is their turn to take the medicine but if it was Hearts and they had just qualified to the last 16 by hook or by crook - you're darn tootin' right I'd be doing cartwheels. I think I would stop short at being the bolshy mate of Dons Lad who seems to think that it makes them "better than all the rest" again! WBG :cool:

I agree what you say man, but everywhere you get, you get Rangers fans who say their still brilliant etc etc. It's just a part of footy, what they did for Scottish footy was brilliant, but we won't hear the end of this ever. It's strange how they can go average in Europe, yet progress, yet in the SPL, they can't even win.

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Dec-05, 16:44
Anyone see Graham Spiers' diary in The Herald? Pure comedy genius. All in here: http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/52147.html