PDA

View Full Version : No mention of Murray ?

percy toboggan
02-Jul-08, 18:05
If the topic of tennis is dis-allowed from this section then please remove my thread.

I was intrigued not to see any mention of the man after his remarkable come back the other night.

How the Wimbledon crowd responded to his antics, and his sterling play.
I mention the 'antics' first because they did concern me. Roaring open mouthed to the south-London skies after allmost every point will never, never do.

The continuous pumping of his arm, and the clenched fist was not reminiscent of any of the great tennis players of the past. All of whom would beat this fellow nine times out of ten. Borg;Connors; Ashe;Sampras; Laver; Rosewall....even John McEnroe for pity's sake did not act like a lout.

I realise these comments might antagonise a Scottish audience but I'm not after inflaming nationalist loyalities, merely floating an opinion as to the way the chap carries himself. Did his Mum never tell him to keep his mouth shut, for goodness sake. He could catch flies for Scotland!

He was very good in his post match interview and I warmed to him off-court. I genuinely hope he wins tonight. Of course, he needs to be pumped up, but not with the self-inflated attitude of some back street yob. Quiet dignity, focus and ability on grass might just get him through, at the same time winning over the doubters.

If you think I'm rattling out nonsense here just look at the way Nadal will conduct himself tonight, irrespective of victory or defeat.

I wish Murray well, as I believe does much of England. CErtainly he drew the crowd in the other night with his raging bull act. Oh! and just what was that bicep display all about? please Andy, grow up. You've little else to do but worship at the shrine of your body, and knock balls back over a net. Perhaps earlier doubts about his general robustness and fitness were at the root of his upper arm display. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt if he wins a set tonight.
I hope he wins three.

If he loses he's Scottish, if he wins he's Scottish first and British a lame second but hey! Let him win with style, and maturity.

Come on Andy...just keep yer gob shut 'til the end.

bekisman
02-Jul-08, 18:27
He'll mature Percy.. The continuous pumping of his arm, and the clenched fist - I think he was trying to demonstrate that he's got as good muscles as Nadal (Who is renowned for his own muscles) who he is playing in the Quarter final right now.. just off to watch it!

Angela
02-Jul-08, 18:57
Did his Mum never tell him to keep his mouth shut, for goodness sake. He could catch flies for Scotland!

Come on Andy...just keep yer gob shut 'til the end.

Have you never noticed Andy Murray's mother Judy, percy? The very same mouth and jawline, so maybe that's where he's got it from? Have you seen how wide she opens her mouth and how she pumps her fists? :eek:

I think Andy Murray's matured significantly in many ways, but he's still got a way to go and hopefully he will improve and mature further. Of course some folk will still find fault whatever he does, though perhaps less so if he keeps winning. People found fault with Tim Henman too. British players are either told they're not aggressive enough, not showing enough emotion, not 'using' the crowd enough...or else they're being too aggressive, emotional, undignified, what happened to that stiff upper lip?.....and so on...:confused

Impossible to please everyone when you're in the public eye. I hope Andy will be able to be his own man, concentrate on his tennis and with time become an even better player and perhaps not feel the need to pump himself up so much.

loobyloo
02-Jul-08, 19:00
I don't think these sportsmen are like normal folk anyway. They live in some kind of vacuum, surrounded by flunkies, telling them how marvellous they are. It must be a bizarre life. Getting so hyper must be the way he gets himself to do well. He'll get beat anyway, so I wouldn't worry about looking at his tonsils for much longer!!!!

scorrie
02-Jul-08, 19:28
I don't think these sportsmen are like normal folk anyway. They live in some kind of vacuum, surrounded by flunkies, telling them how marvellous they are. It must be a bizarre life. Getting so hyper must be the way he gets himself to do well. He'll get beat anyway, so I wouldn't worry about looking at his tonsils for much longer!!!!

Aye, he's on his way out, along with "Team Murray"

I said here a couple of years ago that he should shed all the "hangers on" and get on with it himself. Don't feel the need to change that view any now.

bekisman
02-Jul-08, 20:25
Oh well, never mind..

scotsboy
02-Jul-08, 20:29
Aye, he's on his way out, along with "Team Murray"

I said here a couple of years ago that he should shed all the "hangers on" and get on with it himself. Don't feel the need to change that view any now.

He was well and truly thumped today, Nadal was just in a different class.

I have always thought Murray's mother had too much to say, I would agree that he should banish them further back than the sidelines if he wants to progress.

Kevin Milkins
02-Jul-08, 20:41
He did a lot better than I thought he might. When I looked at both players at the begining of the tounement I would have put Rafael Nadal years ahead of Andy Murray.
I never thought for one moment they would meet, but fair play to the lad he showed some promise.
The muscle flexing is, he has put 11 pounds of muscle on since last November and he is proud of it perhaps.

olivia
02-Jul-08, 22:38
I missed most of his match against Gasquet but was truly enthralled by his magnificent play to come back and win - right up until he started all of the roaring and pumping the fist antics - I'm afraid that put me off completely. Didn't he also get a warning for swearing - tut, tut, that will never do.

To top it all the BBC went into Murray overdrive with the schedule pushed back so they could show the end of the match and then endless repeat showings both yesterday and today.

What happened - Nadal came along, trounced him and showed impeccable manners as well as all of those lovely muscles!

All I can say is, thank god we've seen the back of Murray for another year, maybe he'll have grown up a bit before next year's Wimbledon.

sweetpea
02-Jul-08, 23:10
[quote=percy toboggan;403003]I

.even John McEnroe for pity's sake did not act like a lout.

That's not what I heard, if things weren't going his way he blamed anyone and everyone else, total ........ not a very good role model for me:)

Anne x
02-Jul-08, 23:15
Not a hope in Scot Eng etc he is going to be another Henman what ifs !!!! my heart ruled today my head told me no way
Nadal age 22 no 2 Murray age 21 and no 12 he is miles behind him and the rest he has loads of work to do and I personally think he has got it all far too easy the LTA are so desperate for a champion they are throwing money at him

His brother Jamie on the otherhand has worked hard for Scot ,Wimbledon well he has a title and defended well tonight long may he go on with a different partner from 2007

I would be so chuffed and back him like I did against frenchman Especially from Scot but not hungry enough and has had it all to easy IMOP
he needs to concentrate and focus more with no distractions and stop being so spoiled

I would love to see a Brit pick up the trophy

""One day Maybe ah well one can dream ""

George Brims
03-Jul-08, 01:05
[quote=percy toboggan;403003]I

.even John McEnroe for pity's sake did not act like a lout.

That's not what I heard, if things weren't going his way he blamed anyone and everyone else, total ........ not a very good role model for me:)
Too right. He was a complete brat. He should have been thrown off the court many a time.

George Brims
03-Jul-08, 01:08
Nadal age 22 no 2 Murray age 21 and no 12 he is miles behind him "
Hey no. 12 in the world is not miles behind no. 2. There have been bigger upsets in the game than that (see ladies seedings vs results for example).

percy toboggan
03-Jul-08, 07:56
I thought I might gert 'flamed' for my initial post.
However, it seems many people agree with me and fact go even further in condemning the blokes behaviour.

He was outclassed last night but did well to get to the quarter-final stage. He conducted himself well in defeat so let's not be too critical.
He'll do well to learn from this though won't he?

As for his 'entourage' I think I'd tell them all to take a back seat with the exception of his coach, and his very attractive girlfriend. I was going to ask what she sees in the million pound winning tennis player but apparently they have been 'together' for some time, so I shall hush my cynical mouth.

buggyracer
03-Jul-08, 09:18
i like the guy and imo its about time a tennis player showed a bit of grit and coulour, compared to dull henman, give me him anyday!!

Also ask anyone there when he beat the frenchman was he over the top in his celebrations? i doubt one would say he was, they absaloutly loved the game, as did i, and i normally cant be bothered with tennis, its about time wimbeldon appealed to the masses and not just the pimms brigade :lol:

mama2
03-Jul-08, 20:02
I love Wimbeldon and dont see anything wrong with the way Murray conducts himself on the court. When he beat Gasquet he had just won one of the biggest matches of his career (to date) to gain a place in the 1/4 finals, wouldn't you be excited and pumped up if that was you???? Some players show their emotions some don't, everyone deals with things in different ways, it shouldn't really matter at the end of the day it's how he plays his tennis that matters. He has a long way to go if he wants to comete with Nadal, Federer etc and I for one wish him all the best and will support him all the way.

As for having a go at his mum.........if that was my son on Centre Court I would be roaring the place down :lol:

tigger2u
03-Jul-08, 20:36
The continuous pumping of his arm, and the clenched fist was not reminiscent of any of the great tennis players of the past. All of whom would beat this fellow nine times out of ten. Borg;Connors; Ashe;Sampras; Laver; Rosewall....even John McEnroe for pity's sake did not act like a lout.

Well all I can say is, If you look back on some of these great players you will see that Conners was arrogant sod at times and would argue the sky was green if things didnt go his way. McEnroe was such a "gentleman":roll: on the court that there were crys for him to be banned on the tennis circuit. Elie Nastasie was one of the worse too. All champions and great athletes, McEnroe was one of my Favs.

Dont put the blinkers on and think Murray is unique in being so passionate, thats what happens when you take up sports seriously and not just a hobby, cause if he puts in the work and keeps pushing it we will be the ones praising him for doing the best he can. I think he conducted himself well thoughout the championship this year after all a few years back he was alot worse so something is working.

And just a wee point on Nadal, he may be quite the Professional but what is it with the ass picking after every play :roll: lmao[lol]

Anne x
03-Jul-08, 23:11
MCenroe always was and always will be my Hero, and Andre Agasi but loved the Borg era before that

( Tongue in Cheek ) As for Nadal Pants and picking !!! some nice young designer needs to design a G string for him that doesnt go there !!! now there is a challenge as he favours them allegedly

Its all habit with him he places everything just so Water Bottles uses same clothes if he wins discards if he looses same practice same things to eat the list goes on and supposing he does get designer pants he will still continue to pick !!! as all part of there preparation

tigger2u
04-Jul-08, 14:14
As I said, McEnroe was my fav too. The problem I've had lately is that since that era of players have gone and in stepped the next lot, most of which have been pretty boring to watch. Most of us love the outrageous characters as they generate a buzz around them when they play and it can be exciting to watch. Not like watching paint dry when Henman played:roll:
Watching Murray is begining to generate a buzz too and he has the potential to be a big character within the tennis circle. So I for one will be cheering from afar with the crowds he helped to stir up in a good match.:D

Anne x
04-Jul-08, 16:13
As I said, McEnroe was my fav too. The problem I've had lately is that since that era of players have gone and in stepped the next lot, most of which have been pretty boring to watch. Most of us love the outrageous characters as they generate a buzz around them when they play and it can be exciting to watch. Not like watching paint dry when Henman played:roll:
Watching Murray is begining to generate a buzz too and he has the potential to be a big character within the tennis circle. So I for one will be cheering from afar with the crowds he helped to stir up in a good match.:D

So will I be watching and supporting him at all times that is what I meant by my heart ruling my head in the quarters I thought he had a realistic chance of at least taking 1 set of Nadal but as Murray himself said he was completely overpowered by him
Good luck to Jamie this afternoon in the mixed Doubles