PDA

View Full Version : Card Making

shhwelle
02-Jul-08, 17:34
Is anyone else into making cards?

I've not been doing it long but its so worthwhile.

I make them for birthdays and weddings. I'll even be starting some chirstmas ones later this month :lol:

Its nice to see their eyes light up when they get a personalised card they can keep and remember you by.

porshiepoo
02-Jul-08, 18:42
Love it, love it, love it!

Cardmaking, scrapbooking, quilting, cross stitch - basically anything crafty.

The new craft shop in town is bloomin brilliant and long overdue, great place to go to get a coffee while buying goodies.
Just wish it was a tad bigger.

Is there any card making in particular that you like?

brokencross
02-Jul-08, 20:09
My wife is really in to card making as well.
I know it is a bit late but this week on QVC Shopping Channel between 1400 and 1600 each weekday besides selling card making stuff there are demos by Dawn Bibby on various aspects of card making. Thursday is stencilling, Friday is creative paper techniques. Also on Saturday 26 July (from Friday midnight that is) there is a craft day and Christmas stuff is heavily involved. Enjoy

Thumper
03-Jul-08, 07:33
Craft day on QVC is great,but I always end up spending much more than I intended to!I make all differnet kinds,from stamping to decoupage,although I am not too keen on decoupage and prefer making my own designs from scratch x

Buttercup
03-Jul-08, 18:28
My favourite pastime. Great fun but can be hard on the pocket, especially with last week's week long Craft Special on Ideal World all with free P&P! As a member of the Create and Craft Club the discount makes a difference too ~ I joined because it's cheaper than buying a card making magazine every month (and they've now reduced the price again!). I think that QVC tends to be dearer and items are in larger quantities, but I love to watch both for the demos and for inspiration. Personally I tend to buy most items I need from eBay. :D

the charlatans
05-Jul-08, 14:14
Me! I love cardmaking. I've currently got 3 baby cards to make, my cousin had twin girls yesterday and I'm going to be an aunty very shortly - if the baby could get a wriggle on please that would be lovely so I know what colour to make it!

I am in the Readers Union craft bookclub which is a pretty good source of all things crafty, I used to be in the Needlecraft one but swapped over when I became a cardmaking queen rather than a cross stitcher queen.

Love QVC gear, it always seems to be really good quality and have bought a few 'pick of the days' when its craft day. Bit expensive but nice for a treat.

Are you into ready made card/embellishments or do you start completly from scratch? I start from scratch mostly.

Buttercup
05-Jul-08, 21:13
Me! I love cardmaking. I've currently got 3 baby cards to make, my cousin had twin girls yesterday and I'm going to be an aunty very shortly - if the baby could get a wriggle on please that would be lovely so I know what colour to make it!

I am in the Readers Union craft bookclub which is a pretty good source of all things crafty, I used to be in the Needlecraft one but swapped over when I became a cardmaking queen rather than a cross stitcher queen.

Love QVC gear, it always seems to be really good quality and have bought a few 'pick of the days' when its craft day. Bit expensive but nice for a treat.

Are you into ready made card/embellishments or do you start completly from scratch? I start from scratch mostly.

Like to make my own embelishments, I know it's wrong but I'd feel I was cheating if I were to use bought toppers. Have recently bought foil on eBay and am playing about with it ~ great fun, but my writing really needs improvement!

Thumper
07-Jul-08, 14:14
When I started making cards I bought ready made embellishments and then when I got my confidence up I made them from scratch,nothing wrong with ready made things,even if it is expensive,its good to build up experience and then go from there x

Buttercup
07-Jul-08, 15:04
When I started making cards I bought ready made embellishments and then when I got my confidence up I made them from scratch,nothing wrong with ready made things,even if it is expensive,its good to build up experience and then go from there x

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with using ready made toppers. I was speaking from a personal point of veiw meaning that I would feel that "I'm cheating". Afterall if nobody bought ready made, what would I do with my extra ones? :lol:

Thumper
07-Jul-08, 15:17
Sorry Buttercup I wasnt getting at your post,I just meant that if thats what will encourage someone to give it a try its fine for starters,I honestly wasnt implying that you were downing it x

Anne x
10-Jul-08, 16:08
I have just been browsing this websites given to me by a friend loads of nice things !!! with Ideas and Packs even instructions
www.madaboutcards.com (http://www.madaboutcards.com)
www.liz-craft.co.uk (http://www.liz-craft.co.uk)

let me know what you think

Thumper
10-Jul-08, 16:15
Hi Anne,I have used both these sites and they are very good!Liz's crafts are very quick to deliver and very reasonable with their prices...well done to you for posting them! xx

shhwelle
15-Jul-08, 17:37
:lol: i've been so busy making cards that i havent had a chance to reply until now

I've just recently got into stamping with ink pads. I have to admit though i do prefer using beads and material. There is just so many different varities

Will hopefully be finishing a wedding card and a good luck card tonight. Also have a 21st birthday card to do in a few days!

Busy busy but its just so relaxing

brokencross
25-Jul-08, 19:54
Craft day QVC from 0000 and all day Saturday

jac1791
04-Aug-08, 14:18
Poltney news in Dempster St has a great selection of things for card making and if they dont have what you are looking for they will order the things for you .........

Margaret M Mackay
18-Aug-08, 14:46
:lol:Hi I have been making cards for a number of years now and find that buying locally can be very expensive I get a lot of my stuff from 'Craftsite' who I found by accident.They have avery good range of embelishments which don't cost the earth.
I like Spirelli,tea bag folding,iris folding and have had a go at quilling and plan to work on perfecting it this winter.

Vistravi
24-Nov-08, 21:59
I love making my own cards. You can make what you want and how you want. total freedom.

I was recently encouraged by my partners mother to think bout selling them as she loves them and thinks that they are really good. I use ebay mostly for my card toppers and things. As I've only started doing it this year I haven't got a clue how to make my own toppers yet!

www.toptopper.co.uk was recommended to me by a ebay seller when i bought some of their stuff. have a look, it mite be useful it mite not.

brokencross
25-Nov-08, 15:09
Think that link should read http://www.toptoppershop.co.uk/

aidipi
17-Oct-09, 22:20
My daughter and I go off twice a year to the Craft Fair in Glasgow where there is a tremendous amount of information and craft materials to buy. It is quite an addictive hobby! We also go off in the summer to Perth where there are good craft shops. I know that this is not possible for many crafters but we also use the internet and I like the s
Silly Monkeys website.

kimmie
18-Oct-09, 10:01
I love card making too, made all my cards last year...including my christmas cards....doing the same again this year!
Every Thursday, I have a friend or two over for a crafting day, its a great way to catch up and do your hobbies too!

catherine nicol
05-Nov-09, 11:02
I absolutely love card making, it is so theraputic and relaxing and you have something to show for your efforts at the end of it.

I went to the SECC Glasgow hobbycraft fayre for the first time this year. It was awesome. Loads of stalls and demonstrations and ideas. If you go take your camera and photograph and ideas that you see and try to replicate them when you get home, that was a tip that I received on a demonstration day in Dyce earlier this year.

I am addicted to Create and Craft on 24hrs a day on sky channel 671 and also on 8amm til 1pm on freeview channel 36.

I click it on during breakfast and then again when I am sitting about at night. Their items can be expensive when you add the P&P into it but on the whole I am a bargain hunter and buy mostly when they have offers on or extravaganza weekends. It is a very addictive hobby, I love it. Great tonic to watch the shows when you are poorly, get a cuppa and curl up on sofa the day passes in a flash.

I have recently decided to sell some of my cards and donate profits to the charity Spina Bifida. First batch of cards are out there for sale but not sure how that will go.

The TV shows especially encourage charities to make cards and sell at local craft fayres to make some additional funds. They also encourage crafters to swap cards and ideas.

Whatever your reason for crafting just have fun. I do.

fairy56
06-Nov-09, 10:57
hi cathrine can you tell me next craft fayre down the line is and where,as am intrested on going,love me card making allways looking for ideas

kimmie
06-Nov-09, 11:35
Just to let you all know, Aberdeen has now opened a Hobbycraft....its not too far from the harbour....might be closer for some of you to go to.

catherine nicol
06-Nov-09, 13:25
Thanks Kimmie.

I visited the Glasgow Hobbycraft shop when I was down there last weekend. What a place. 2 floors of craft items. Needless to say my birthday present vouchers of £25 didn't go far!!!

I believe that the new Hobbycraft shop was to be part of the new shopping complex along from the railway station area of Aberdeen. Correct me if I am wrong.

How are you all at Rubber Stamping. I get nervous when i do rubber stamping and end up smudging my images. Any tips? All appreciated

ShelleyCowie
07-Nov-09, 00:13
How are you all at Rubber Stamping. I get nervous when i do rubber stamping and end up smudging my images. Any tips? All appreciated

i am terrible at the rubber stamping! And i mean terrible! I get so shaky and nervous that i will smudge it....and i do!! :confused

Thumper
07-Nov-09, 14:00
The best thing to do when stamping is make sure you have a steady suface and I find standing up to do the stamp helps x

Buttercup
07-Nov-09, 15:52
Rock-a-blocks are a good investment for stamping. They give a perfect result every time.

kimmie
08-Nov-09, 21:52
Thanks Kimmie.

I visited the Glasgow Hobbycraft shop when I was down there last weekend. What a place. 2 floors of craft items. Needless to say my birthday present vouchers of £25 didn't go far!!!

I believe that the new Hobbycraft shop was to be part of the new shopping complex along from the railway station area of Aberdeen. Correct me if I am wrong.

Your right...it is...it has railway one side and Harbour another with the bus depot as well.
I was confused at first as the complex maps show it indoors, when its actually outside the complex, but still part of it.
It has two floors....the upstairs is mainly painting and carding.

catherine nicol
11-Nov-09, 17:07
Rock-a-blocks are a good investment for stamping. They give a perfect result every time.

:)Thanks for the posting and tip,

It made me remember about the set of rock-a-blocks I had in the cupboard gathering dust, as us crafters do, we buy items and add to our kit all the time but don't quite get round to using it all as we should.

Looked them out and just used the rock-a-blocks for first time the other night. Perfect results each time I stamped, wish I had the courage/memory to try them before now as like the others have said I usually smudged my stamped images. No more though.

Also........for info.....for all you lovely 'crafty' people..............

I have just bit the bullet and signed up today to become a demonstrator/agent for 'Stampin Up!'. My kit comes home in a week and I will also receive catalogues and idea books for things to make.

(Feel free to pm me if you want to order anything from the current catalogue or wish to view the idea books when they arrive as I have been told that there isn't a demonstrator further north than Inverness on the mainland and their items may not be easy to get your hands on without a demonstrator ordering for you. Always willing to help a fellow crafter.)

http://www2.stampinup.com/gb/eng/543.asp

I went to a demonstration day earlier this year in Dyce and was impressed with the quality of their products and of course being a bargain hunter I was also impressed with the cost of the items. Great value. Hence joining to become an agent and save myself some pennies.

If anyone else is interested in becoming an agent to save £'ssss on their purchases then let me know. We could do demonstration / make and take sessions together for our fellow crafters.

Stampin Up! are holding another Christmas demo day in Dyce so I might just be off on my jollies again to see the girls there as they are so nice and full of tips and tricks. If anyone is interested in their demo day in Dyce I can find out where/when (or if you are willing to put up with a novice then we could have one ourselves in Wick once I have had time to try the kit I receive ;)).

The punches that they have are of tremendous quality but unfortunately they don't come in the starter kit so it will be a couple of weeks before I can purchase them for myself. I have been assured that they are well used by their local playgroups and nurseries and stand up to all that a toddler can throw at them.

Happy crafting whatever you are into and keep the tips coming, we live to learn and do learn something new every day.:)

catherine nicol
11-Nov-09, 17:10
Your right...it is...it has railway one side and Harbour another with the bus depot as well.
I was confused at first as the complex maps show it indoors, when its actually outside the complex, but still part of it.
It has two floors....the upstairs is mainly painting and carding.

ooooooooooooooo, canna wait til my next trip til Aberdeen. The shop in Glasgow had someone demonstrating the sakura pens when I was there and they said that they often have demonstrators there. Hope Aberdeen do the same.

If you know of any forthcoming events for the Aberdeen shop let us know Kimmie.

catherine nicol
11-Nov-09, 17:20
Just received email from Crafters Companion website.

They have some excellent offers on following their successfull trip to the NEC fayre.

see

www.crafterscompanion.co.uk (http://www.crafterscompanion.co.uk) for the bargains

kimmie
12-Nov-09, 22:25
If you know of any forthcoming events for the Aberdeen shop let us know Kimmie.

I certainly will :D :lol: