PDA

View Full Version : Pet Insurance.

justine
02-Jul-08, 15:47
Do you have your pet covered by pet insurance,

If so what made you decide to do it..
The reason i am asking is i was a dafty thinking why take out insurance on him (tank), the likeyhood of him needing the vet other than the routine will be slim, well last night i found out the hard way when we ended up at the vets with him limping with a swollen leg. The bill was not high this time as the damage is not sever but it got me thinking to how much it would have been if it had been broken,
Thanks to tanks little misadventure first thing this morning i set up my pet insurance, now i understand the point of it...

ANNIE
02-Jul-08, 23:11
I took out insurance on my dog when he was a puppy and like u had my doubts having only claimed on it once its still the best thing i have done having heard so many stories of people putting off and having to pay huge amounts because of this. Having insurance you know your not going to have to pay more than the excess set so you have no worries about going and at the end of the it doesn't cost that much and should be all part of the responsability of owning a pet

emb123
02-Jul-08, 23:58
I have always had insurance for my dog and I've only once ever needed to claim, and that was a minimal amount related to an infection.

However he is now eight and half and I'm glad he is with a company that will insure him for life as sometimes insurers refuse to insure dogs over seven years old.

I would be devastated if anything were to happen to my little fellow and for mere lack of money the worst needed to happen. Vets can be pretty heartless if you cannot afford to pay them. Here, they seem to be fine and very nice, but my last vet had a poor reputation which didn't tell the half of it.

If you cannot manage a bill coming out of the blue of several hundred pounds, then pet insurance is a really wise move. I'm with Healthy Pets and they seem to be ok. Haven't shopped around recently.

justine
03-Jul-08, 11:54
well i took out one on tank with argos, monthly premiums of £8.10 and he is covered for up to £7,000 and unlimited times. value for money.

emb123
03-Jul-08, 13:42
well i took out one on tank with argos, monthly premiums of £8.10 and he is covered for up to £7,000 and unlimited times. value for money.
That's very cheap. A lot better deal than mine I think. I'm paying £12.20 a month.

I am sure all these insurers rely on inertia when renewal time comes around.

Will definitely check into it.

Liz
03-Jul-08, 14:03
I have Benjy insured through Petplan which is now £23 per month!
However, it has really been worth it as, when he was only a year old, he fell and badly damaged his leg. He needed to go South to an orthopaedic surgeon for surgery. The bill came to over £3,000 so was really glad I had insurance! I was actually thinking of cancelling it about a month before!
I am going to see if I can get a cheaper insurance but be careful as cheap isn't necessarily the best.
It's worth checking with your Vets as I know, when I took out insurance, Petplan was the only one they were happy with as they knew they paid out quickly. If not, I would have had to pay the bill until the insurance came through!

justine
03-Jul-08, 16:08
I checked alot of insurers yesterday and the best deal was with argos.Its platinum cover, well worth looking into..I tried petplan but it was abit excessive, buti reccommend all get there dogs and animals insured as we could have had a large bill if it had been serious. Lckily tank is putting weight on it today and the swelling seems to be going. so fingers crossed..

ciderally
03-Jul-08, 18:37
just picked up a leaflet at argos today for that...havent had chance to read it thru as yet...so thanks for that info ...

justine
03-Jul-08, 18:49
you can go to search engine and put in argos pet insurance, it all comes up online and you can decide from there, but the cover is brilliant. Of course tank is a crossbreed not pedigree, so it may be cheaper.

binbob
03-Jul-08, 21:22
just wanted u toknow that many insurers only do 12 month policies.that means that if u claim for any condition that needs ongoing traeatment..they only pay out for 12 months..then u are on ur own.i think tesco/argos do this..but please do not take this as gospel!!
i got caught out like this with tesco when my dear late spaniel ,maisie developed cardiomyopathy..cost of her drugs monthly was £72.00..i had to cover that every month when the 12 months were up.

i have 3 of mine covered by direct line advanced...it is a whole of life policy..pays out up to £6000 per condition.after the £6000 is up..i then have to pay it myself.but i think if any dog needs that amount of money to treat it..then i would have to really think of its quality of life.
my lottie has a auto immune problem...and needs regular check ups and steroids/antibiotics.fortunately[well not really] steroids are very cheap.

so please do check out the term of the insurance u choose.whole of life or whole life is the very best.lottie also has eye problems which are now covered also ,up to £6000.that is a lot of eye drops!!!

do not mean to worry anyone and as was stated prev. petplan[if u can afford it is the BEST].

binbob
03-Jul-08, 21:27
I checked alot of insurers yesterday and the best deal was with argos.Its platinum cover, well worth looking into..I tried petplan but it was abit excessive, buti reccommend all get there dogs and animals insured as we could have had a large bill if it had been serious. Lckily tank is putting weight on it today and the swelling seems to be going. so fingers crossed..

just thought i would tell u i did check the argos platinum..and that is whole life..and very good with £7000 of cover.they have changed their policies[for the better]
well done ,justine and hope u do not need to use..wish tank a speedy recovery.

justine
04-Jul-08, 14:16
I am a stickler for looking about for the cheapest way to do things but i always make sure i get the best deal aswell..I am hoping that we will never have to use it but i now have piece of mind that my baby is covered. I was worried about him and then the bill..He is getting there slowly, still swollen a little but bearing some weight..I will wish him for you.