PDA

View Full Version : Close encounters

agat
02-Jul-08, 15:05
few days after moving in i decided to explore. the smells the views absolutely fantastic grey sky spitting at me for the whole time ehh what a bliss.cows ogling me with curiosity. birdies flying almost as if from under my feet. wonders. i walked passing on my way feeding cows and their husbands i think we had understanding. me and the husbands i mean. going further i passed another field full of cows i saw them all coming closer so i smiled thinking what a curiose creatures. at the same time i thought...strange they were in 1 line at least the first 8 of them...interesting i thought.and then i am afraid i can not say what i thought as my thread would be taken of but i am sure u can all imagine what was it as i saw one of the ''cow'' happilly enjoying herself or trying to enjoy with another ''cow'' so i looked closely and...i thought RUN!!!!!:eek:..they start charging.....god... i looked to the left...fields. i looked to the right...fields i looked at the beast considering my chances. great i am going to die. aprox 30 young bulls were charging in my direction....and i wasnt dreaming. so if u saw a woman jumipng up and down on a rainy day with her hands waving in the air whistling and shouthing she wasnt excersizing. that was me trying to survive[evil] and i thought we had understanding me and the bulls but maybe they need to be married to let me peacefully enjoy the beauty of the land;[lol]

agat
02-Jul-08, 16:16
and i forgot to ask any one else had similar expieriences? nature or not nature related when u think u saw something else than u really did puting ur self in akward or silly situation.

helenwyler
02-Jul-08, 16:23
Agat, your story reminds me of a close encounter we had with some heiffers (?) in Caithness last summer.

We were in a field near Clardon looking at a ruined croft, taking a few photos of the area where some of my ancestor McDonalds lived.

When we turned round there were about 15-20 of whatever they were, standing in a line about ten yards away, just staring. No worries...I was brought up next to a farm.

But then, without warning, they just started to run towards us, still in a line ...we both panicked instantly and legged it as fast as possible to the gate (quite close). LOL! I've never scrambled over a gate so fast :lol:!

Daft I know. If the owner of the cattle is an orger, I apologise for possible trespass :eek:, and also for the silly pose in the photo.

percy toboggan
02-Jul-08, 16:37
Indicative of how a pleasant, normal day when one is happily indulging in innocent reverie can suddenly turn , in seconds to something quite different. Life changing events, terror can swoop from the sunniest of skies. Malevolence on four legs. Heavy cattle, charging...oh my goodness....I wonder if I'd be quick enough these days to get out of the way.

I think the classic ficitional example of quiet joy turning to absolute terror, was in the opening scenes of the film 'Enduring Love' with Daniel Craig and Samantha Morton. Picnicking in an Oxfordshire field, the merest hint of a breeze barely wafting the trees...when suddenly a hot air balloon, in difficulties lands awkwardly just yards away. A man falls from the basket leaving a child alone within. Craig's character of course rushes to help but senses the wind pick up as the sound of the trees ominously agitates the arbour, leaves rustle restlessly and of course the balloon, ropes dangling like lifelines takes off again with the kid inside. What would you do? What did he do? Watch the movie...it's a good 'un.

trix
02-Jul-08, 16:42
welcome til 'e heelan's agat [lol][lol]

Scunner
02-Jul-08, 17:14

aprox 30 young bulls were charging in my direction....

that is a lot of bullocks

agat
02-Jul-08, 17:23

aprox 30 young bulls were charging in my direction....

that is a lot of bullocks

Sorry for not stopping and counting them properly[lol]

Sapphire2803
02-Jul-08, 17:32
Indicative of how a pleasant, normal day when one is happily indulging in innocent reverie can suddenly turn , in seconds to something quite different. Life changing events, terror can swoop from the sunniest of skies. Malevolence on four legs. Heavy cattle, charging...oh my goodness....I wonder if I'd be quick enough these days to get out of the way.

I think the classic ficitional example of quiet joy turning to absolute terror, was in the opening scenes of the film 'Enduring Love' with Daniel Craig and Samantha Morton. Picnicking in an Oxfordshire field, the merest hint of a breeze barely wafting the trees...when suddenly a hot air balloon, in difficulties lands awkwardly just yards away. A man falls from the basket leaving a child alone within. Craig's character of course rushes to help but senses the wind pick up as the sound of the trees ominously agitates the arbour, leaves rustle restlessly and of course the balloon, ropes dangling like lifelines takes off again with the kid inside. What would you do? What did he do? Watch the movie...it's a good 'un.

Or you could do it properly and read the book :roll:

Angela
02-Jul-08, 17:47
and also for the silly pose in the photo.

Looks as if you're holding up the last of the wall there Helen! :lol:

My granny was born and brought up on a Caithness croft, but after an early bad experience, remained absolutely terrified of cattle all her life.....:eek:

mrs_algaliarept
02-Jul-08, 18:04
Did you have a dog with you Agat? My mate says that they always go for her when she has the dog with her

teenybash
02-Jul-08, 18:09
There is an old Irish belief that if you have a secret or receive good news, tell the cows first................maybe they were all charging simply to get the latest gossip..................................... Has anyone else heard of that belief?:eek:

percy toboggan
02-Jul-08, 18:12
Or you could do it properly and read the book :roll:

Thanks for that.
I had no idea there was a book!
I shall make it my business to obtain a copy for my holliers in Easter Ross.

Rolling eyes and disdain eh...good job my skin is thick 'en all.
:lol:
l/m

agat
02-Jul-08, 19:13
Did you have a dog with you Agat? My mate says that they always go for her when she has the dog with her

No i didnt if i had it would be 2 against them lot and i would have won haha

teenybash NEVER EVERE tell ur secret to the cow. i ve made that mistake and she spread the word....although she was somehow disabled cow - two legged i mean.[evil]

another encounter in which the nature won took place few good years ago while camping. it was middle of the night raining (maybe i should avoid going out on a rainy days) i was out in the woods hidding from all the kiddos when i decided to sneak back to get dry socks (the one i was wearing almost fell apart) not far from a main camp we had a dinning tent with benches and table under which i decided to lie down and hide spying my safe passage to the backpack with clothes. i've chosen a table with a pale of leaves to camuflage my self lie down slowly and .....jump in the air having my heart and stomach in my mouth as something started to move angrilly under my belly and i heard this laud never heard before noise something like woop woop huuuum huum tooop tooop. i jumped up hitting te table, jerk back pushing the bench on the tents wall bringing the whole construction down. had no idea what devil was tangled with me in there i put my torch on only to see the face of a...hedhog....little tiny one looking at me with the murder in the eye (or maybe it was shock) and i swear i could almost see what it was thinking: How could u put that huge fat body of urs on me????[lol]

Sapphire2803
02-Jul-08, 20:38
Thanks for that.
I had no idea there was a book!
I shall make it my business to obtain a copy for my holliers in Easter Ross.

Rolling eyes and disdain eh...good job my skin is thick 'en all.
:lol:
l/m

Right... serious for a mo. Yes it's a book, as far as I know it used to be A level reading material (possibly still is) It is a fantastic book and I should imagine it makes the film look like bin fodder, books usually do.

Now then, back to business. If I want to pick on you I shall and I expect a proper response in future, none of this nancying about mentioning rolling eyes and disdain. What's up with ya man? :Razz

percy toboggan
03-Jul-08, 08:02
Right... serious for a mo. Yes it's a book, as far as I know it used to be A level reading material (possibly still is) It is a fantastic book and I should imagine it makes the film look like bin fodder, books usually do.

Now then, back to business. If I want to pick on you I shall and I expect a proper response in future, none of this nancying about mentioning rolling eyes and disdain. What's up with ya man? :Razz

I'm not feeling myself at the moment. ;)
It's all this leisure time you know.

Did you write about it for your English Lit. 'A' level?

Sapphire2803
03-Jul-08, 11:52
I'm not feeling myself at the moment. ;)
It's all this leisure time you know.

Did you write about it for your English Lit. 'A' level?

Oh... the innuendo! :lol:

Ahem... Sorry.

No, I didn't. I lived in Ireland when I took my exams and our syllabus contained nowt half so interesting.