PDA

View Full Version : ASDA in Thurso ??

Phoebus_Apollo
06-Dec-05, 22:33
Just heard from a "reliable" source that ASDA will be setting up in Thurso across from the Weigh Inn hotel - there will be a roundabout to enable smooth traffic flow and Tulloch homes will build houses beside the superstore.

kas
06-Dec-05, 22:37
I hope so, that would be great.
I had heard they were trying to buy the mart next to the railway station.
Across from the Wiegh Inn would be far better.

krieve
06-Dec-05, 22:46
I hope so, that would be great.
I had heard they were trying to buy the mart next to the railway station.
Across from the Wiegh Inn would be far better.
No it was tesco and they got refused wait until its in the paper before you believe it .

Jeid
06-Dec-05, 23:47
and your citing the local paper as a reliable source? haha

Chillie
07-Dec-05, 03:49
Why's Asda want'in to come to Thurso, Wick's the in toon now where all the big developments are hapin-in,Ha Ha.

The Pepsi Challenge
07-Dec-05, 05:16

The local paper, eh? Don't the old timers in Caithness still call it "the one-minute silence"?

brandy
07-Dec-05, 10:19
have to admit would love to have an ASDA up here as well could you imagine a Tesco AND an ASDA!!!! what would the neighbors think! *grins!* would be heaven!

wicker
07-Dec-05, 10:27
Do you honestly think though that we require another supermarket up here, we already have 3 why on earth do we require 4, its only small towns in caithness not like we are a mini inverness or anything.

brandy
07-Dec-05, 19:18
im guessing you dont have a family? the shops up here are not the best
not fun takig two toddlers to several dif stores just to get what we need!

RandomHero
07-Dec-05, 19:45
It's a bad idea. Tesco will shut down soon enough when it realises it's not making enough cash. Then were will we be. Little businesses will close when Tesco's open so they'll be few of those. Wcik will plummet back to the disaster that happened in the 1880's. I don't want to see the same happen to Thurso.

Chillie
07-Dec-05, 20:01
Why what happened to Wick in 1880's, Wick was a very prosperious town then, county town, it was Thurso that was the disaster,it had a very small population hardly any shops and very little employment and remained so untill Dounreay was built in the 50's.

krieve
07-Dec-05, 20:12
Ok maybe as you say it aint a reliable source so everything that was in it today is unreliable then is it.What about Hundreds of pupils laid low by viral infection or what about the wick baby unit i take it that they got it wrong then seeing as it is unreliable

Uppiebalad
07-Dec-05, 23:31
The siting of new business locations is usually decided by the science of demographics, i.e. where do most of the people live. Tesco wanted Thurso because that's where the demographics pointed back when they first showed interest and still do to this day.
However politics intervened- the desparate need for jobs in Wick- and so the council held out on developers with persuasive low cost land deals and so the companies are setting up in Wick 14 miles from most of the customers. I wonder how many Caithness folk have seen the demographic set-up of this county explained. It is very likely that in the not too distant future Tesco may have another stab at Thurso but I do aggree, another supermarket isn't an answer and will simply spread the customer grouping too thinly. Something is going to give and as the demographic is not in Wick, well!
More over Thurso at the moment is an economic bubble about to burst. There is no major retail growth in the area, no new business offering serious job oportunities or career futures. Oil at Scrabster isn't moving fast enough to be a large employer by the time Dounreay closes. What good are all these expensive houses if there's no-one to fill them or who can afford them.
Even Scrabster harbour came out with the reality that white fish will not sustain the ports' future whilst Wick is desparate to get into white fish trade in somewhat erronous judgement of it's potential as a source of income.
This county is engaging in short term solutions with no long term plan for sustainability. For too long people here flim-flammed about in the hollow wealth of Dounreay making no effort to invest within our community to allow it to grow and expand- oh no, we don't want change here!

wicker
08-Dec-05, 10:15
They should get some call centres in that business park in wick make use of its space

jay
08-Dec-05, 11:40
I agree that we don't need another supermarket up here, in fact I don't really see the profitability of Tesco's and am dubious about the effect they will have on the area- having said that I love Asda and would be dleighted if they came (double standards or what!!) and I too have heard that they are looking at land in that area, Tullochs/taylors have submitted planning permission for what looks like hundreds of houses stretching from High Ormlie to BT and from BT to Pennyland Farm - where are all the people coming from to fill these? Somebody knows something!!

wicker
08-Dec-05, 11:54
Wasnt there a rumour ages ago about something to do with the scottish parliment moving some of there jobs up here by 2010 and this is why all this development is now happening.

cullbucket
08-Dec-05, 12:03
They should get some call centres in that business park in wick make use of its space

Yeah, but the people calling the call centre have to be able to understand the people on the other end of the line.

Week call centre employee: "Whats ee crack e day? Is is e week call center can I help yee"
Caller: "Excuse Me?"

wicker
08-Dec-05, 12:25
oh aye cos im sure that people would answer phones like that, they dinna in the thurso centre so why would they in a wick one

cullbucket
08-Dec-05, 12:28
I'd say because of the generally stronger accents on that side of the coonty.
Sometimes I have trouble making oot weekers, coming as I do from the refined side of the coonty....

wicker
08-Dec-05, 12:35
So how do you then explain the amount of wickers that currently work within the call centre in thurso and being understood correctly.

Theres a difference between speaking with mates getting crack than when you are working, on a phone you develop a phone voice that is clear and can be understood without any problem.

MadPict
08-Dec-05, 12:39
"...the refined side of the coonty..."

Didn't they use to call Thurso folk "Tea in a bowlies" from their refined way of drinking tea from the saucer?..............

cullbucket
08-Dec-05, 12:43
So how do you then explain the amount of wickers that currently work within the call centre in thurso and being understood correctly.

They have to come through thurso on the way to the call centre and cannot help but be lifted and enriched by the lovely surroundings.
Except for that building falling down across from the towns square.

wicker
08-Dec-05, 12:44
Your arrogant, why try and start this into a thurso vs wick thing, get a grip and learn the art of maturity.

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Dec-05, 13:07
As I keep saying, I think Caithness (including the Wick Vs Thurso 'thing') is a big piece of performance art, and, that, one day when I'm walking down Thurso High Street, someone will tap me on the shoulder and let me in on the joke. You know, like The Truman Show. Only with tinks, bless 'em.

cullbucket
08-Dec-05, 13:34
Your arrogant, why try and start this into a thurso vs wick thing, get a grip and learn the art of maturity.

Why, because that has always existed and always will and its just a bit of fun, my wick friends are always giving me grief and I give them grief back - there is somebody with the user name dirdy weeker for gods sake, so at least he has a sense of humour. Please take the comments in the spirit they were intended, as a bit of fun, with no malice intended. No need to throw the toys out of the pram. Lighten up.

Saveman
08-Dec-05, 13:41
Doesn't Sutherland have similiar hate/hate relationships eg. Golspie and Brora?

I've heard those guys are highland nutjobs.

pink lady
08-Dec-05, 14:12
Start a Thurso v Wick topic if you want to have an argument. Dont use up space on this one

ronmck
08-Dec-05, 14:44
Just for information the word "dirdy" in Dirdy Weeker means friendly/sociable,but over the years has been changed to "dirty". Dirdy Weeker, I am sure knew this fact when he used it as his screen name.

I just cannot belive that a thread discussing a supermarket coming to the county (or not ) can degenerate into another inter town slanging match.

Spittal Hill Eagle
08-Dec-05, 15:49
I don't really feel that this is a inter town slanging match, more of a bit of cross county banter.

I remember my faither telling me about organised fights between the hardest man in Wick against the same in Thurso. No idea who won or indeed if there is much truth in it but it certainly has a romantic air to it, wouldn't you agree?

I always thought that this didn't prove hardest man in the county though as there were some pretty hard chiles in Bilbster

MadPict
08-Dec-05, 16:29
Start a Thurso v Wick topic if you want to have an argument. Dont use up space on this one

This is such an important topic that it shouldn't be diluted....:rolleyes:

rfr10
08-Dec-05, 17:06
I do believe that these are all probably rumours and. Tescos will almost certainly be building a store in Wick which will take time as I stated in a previous post in June. Most of the people of Wick have recieved a leaflet from 'Tesco' asking if they would support the new superstore in Wick. As a lot of developments are happening in Wick now and in the future along with the Wick 21 project which was described in the Caithness Courier, I'd be surprised to see many major developments in Thurso at the present time.

valentine
08-Dec-05, 17:48
hi robin what is the wick 21 project????

rfr10
08-Dec-05, 18:16
Hi.
I do not have enough time to explain the whole of Wick 21 project at the moment. What I can explain, is that the Wick 21 project is a project which could improve and transform Wick totally with ideas such as 5 star hotels, Sport and Leisure facilities, a marine and much more. A meeting has gone ahead to discuss the plan for the project as far as I am aware. The project is aimed to attract tourism to Wick. A computer programme was used to show how Wick could look in a few years time (Pictures Published in the Caithness Courier last month.) As much as the information I gave you, this does not explain the project on a whole and you will have to get in contact with the local area rep. for Wick from the H.C. The project was explained to many at W.H.S. earlier last month.

RandomHero
08-Dec-05, 18:49
Why what happened to Wick in 1880's, Wick was a very prosperious town then, county town, it was Thurso that was the disaster,it had a very small population hardly any shops and very little employment and remained so untill Dounreay was built in the 50's.

The herring disaster of course

sweetheart
08-Dec-05, 20:20
The siting of new business locations is usually decided by the science of demographics, i.e. where do most of the people live. Tesco wanted Thurso because that's where the demographics pointed back when they first showed interest and still do to this day.
However politics intervened- the desparate need for jobs in Wick- and so the council held out on developers with persuasive low cost land deals and so the companies are setting up in Wick 14 miles from most of the customers. I wonder how many Caithness folk have seen the demographic set-up of this county explained. It is very likely that in the not too distant future Tesco may have another stab at Thurso but I do aggree, another supermarket isn't an answer and will simply spread the customer grouping too thinly. Something is going to give and as the demographic is not in Wick, well!
More over Thurso at the moment is an economic bubble about to burst. There is no major retail growth in the area, no new business offering serious job oportunities or career futures. Oil at Scrabster isn't moving fast enough to be a large employer by the time Dounreay closes. What good are all these expensive houses if there's no-one to fill them or who can afford them.
Even Scrabster harbour came out with the reality that white fish will not sustain the ports' future whilst Wick is desparate to get into white fish trade in somewhat erronous judgement of it's potential as a source of income.
This county is engaging in short term solutions with no long term plan for sustainability. For too long people here flim-flammed about in the hollow wealth of Dounreay making no effort to invest within our community to allow it to grow and expand- oh no, we don't want change here!

I was thinking about that very thing. I think they plan to build a new
reactor at dounreay, thurso/wick will have the sort of development one only currently sees in inverness/nairn. But if they don't build, then what?

Business clusters like silicon glen and silicon valley are mature business
incubation and development areas... and always form around a university.
Then, were i to write a development plan, i would look at what it would
take to promote the UHI presence in thurso to a new campus round the
american base, that would allow the university to house 10,000 students,
and then as the dounreay project peters out, the university would pick
up the economic slack, along with the university-related businesses.
A fully rounded uni is a bit much to expect, but perhaps one with
a specialty in sustainable power generation. Then lots of companies would
form around thurso on the cutting edge of sustainable power generation,
and the long term traffic in and out of the region would be students and
successful business travellers, all on a light-weight economic model that
does not impact the community like heavy industry. It would be the
pinnacle of success if 3i opened a thurso office, that the venture capital
is priming the pump as well.

As it stands rather, it seems the state sector sucks up all the talent with
secure jobs with no risk, and why should a well educated person take
risk with a nice state salary job, and gosh, indirectly the whole economy is
public subsidy, dounreay, schools, nhs, and a few ancillary service businesses around dounreay that would fold overnight without more
heavy industry engineering work. Today there is a cluster of heavy
industry/engineering, but it is not sustainable, as it is not able to compete
outside this local niche of dounreay. Freezers, salmon farming and so many
other old industry have been tried, and much public money spent supporting savior businesses...
like this latest timber mill to cut timber near golspie? Thurso could just
as well become hub of a computer software development university,
that fostered a cluster of video games companies... but i think this is
being tried elswhere in scotland..

Yes indeed, when i read your comments, i think of watching this public
sector financed economy's stagnation in risk taking, and i'm praying that
somebody is taking corrective action before its too late, depopulating
the north and turning all of thurso in to an english retirement villiage
with no jobs except related to that and light tourism.

Uppiebalad
08-Dec-05, 21:17
Totally the case I have to say. Our industry here is here because Dounreay is here. Engineering makes most of it's income through Dounreay. It's not just the Caithness economy that will collapse if nothing follows Dounreay. North West Sutherland will become unsustainable and may de-populate. The south of Sutherland will also feel the effects. Caithness, whether your a Wicker or Thurso cuddin, get your heads out of the sand. Our council hasn't the foggiest idea about how to make this county work whilst Inverness sucks the life blood out of the Highlands.
Our councilors need to be more assertive over our needs. How many of you know that Caithness except for Inverness, has more representatives on the council than any other part of the Highland region. They have a considerable voice if they speak together that can make things happen. Too many of us fail to voice our opinions to our councilors and parlimentary representatives. We elected them and they are here to do our bidding.
All this talk of a cash strapped Highland council makes me sick when I walk along the precinct in Inverness to see all that expensive stone paving they laid. It's you and I who paid for that!
If only those who had made a bit of money from their years in Dounreay had invested it into further and more diverse business we wouldn't be in this position now. If I had the money I wouldn't be sitting here waiting for anyone else to take the lead.

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Dec-05, 21:26
To back up sweetheart and uppiebalad, I totally agree with their forward-thinking, yet, not overtly ambitious points. There is clearly a lack of vision and pro-activity amongst Caithness' counsellors. The same tired old bodies will remain in charge unless people get down to the meetings and challenge them and vote them out. They don't want us challenging them - they consistently vote each other in - so please, if you can, get along to the next council meeting and make your voices heard. Hollow tubthumping won't do.
Demand change, demand answers. If not, Caithness will remain a cultural and economic Chernobyl.

Viva Diva
08-Dec-05, 23:31
Yeah, but the people calling the call centre have to be able to understand the people on the other end of the line.

Week call centre employee: "Whats ee crack e day? Is is e week call center can I help yee"
Caller: "Excuse Me?"

haha
Still it could never be THE hardest call centre in the world to understand would it?

Mr Sensitive
09-Dec-05, 13:03
Well hellooooooo

First time I've been on here in, hmmmmm, years? Nice to see nothing's changed but everything's changed. We Weekers still fighting the Teanabowlas. My ouwld sparring partners still hangin' oot on iss and ither threads. Howdo MadPict, jjc, gleeber, Doc Szin, and all? All on vBulletin too. Good stuff dudes. I like vBulletin, I'm a vB junkie, hoooo hoooo

Nothin on dog poo on e streets o Week though. So one thing's changed at least thank goodness, ha ha ha.

Keep up e good work all. Roll on Tesco.

krieve
09-Dec-05, 14:29
This was in the paper (unreliable source) ASDA store ruled out . Asda has quashed speculation that it is looking to build a new supermarket in thurso.It has been rumoured that store bosses have been checking out land next to the new housing development planned at pennyland. The supermarket's nearest store is currently elgin,although it is reported to be iterested in opening another in inverness. However, an ASDA spokeswomen yesterday said she was not aware of any plans to build farther north.

jay
09-Dec-05, 16:27
very similar reply to the one I got from tesco last year!

sweetheart
09-Dec-05, 17:01
Totally the case I have to say. Our industry here is here because Dounreay is here. Engineering makes most of it's income through Dounreay. It's not just the Caithness economy that will collapse if nothing follows Dounreay. North West Sutherland will become unsustainable and may de-populate. The south of Sutherland will also feel the effects. Caithness, whether your a Wicker or Thurso cuddin, get your heads out of the sand. Our council hasn't the foggiest idea about how to make this county work whilst Inverness sucks the life blood out of the Highlands.
Our councilors need to be more assertive over our needs. How many of you know that Caithness except for Inverness, has more representatives on the council than any other part of the Highland region. They have a considerable voice if they speak together that can make things happen. Too many of us fail to voice our opinions to our councilors and parlimentary representatives. We elected them and they are here to do our bidding.
All this talk of a cash strapped Highland council makes me sick when I walk along the precinct in Inverness to see all that expensive stone paving they laid. It's you and I who paid for that!
If only those who had made a bit of money from their years in Dounreay had invested it into further and more diverse business we wouldn't be in this position now. If I had the money I wouldn't be sitting here waiting for anyone else to take the lead.

Do you really think a new reactor at dounreay would keep the jobs?
As all the labour force is engaged with decomissioning, likely a near
construction would involve an outside labour force, a new generation of
Atomics-II. Once a new plant is in place, it would not have any of the
engineering of dounreay (read: jobs), so to maintain the industrial business cluster is to connect it with outside markets bigtime, and honestly,
on checking hte prices myself, it IS cheaper to manufacture something
in china than here. The competetiveness of this sector is seriously
in question, and at the very least, economic diversity must hope to
create jobs in new areas, sectors on unwritten plans. As it is either
that, or depopulated all of caithness, and put up 100,000 wind
turbines, clearancing all the people to inverness economically, exccept
the very rich and retired. No plan IS a plan, as you point out.

Realistic sector diversity is: software, tourism (build a big posh hotel
complex near thurso, for example that employs hundreds and can take
entire planeloads of tourists, more on the scale to accept chinese and
japanese tours. Tourism diversity is to "build it and they will come", As
every tourist opens the opportunity for trade, business and more tourism
with the place the tourist is from. Tourism is an excellent one to "increase"
but the sector will not bear the load, IMO, just by a rough outsider's
economic calculation.

Big retail is not an employment option, the population density just won't
bear it. Web niche arts and crafts from the highlands... not much.
If cannabis were leagallized, a significant employment could be recorded
if they did that on the scale of whiskey, but it may be a while yet before
that can be considered on an economic roadmap. Crofting has become
a hobby, and people rely on some substantial job if the north economy is
to survive.

If they built a new reactor, that would just solve a little part of the whole
plan for this area.... inverness/nairn has leaps and bounds on the north,
and maybe that is a deliberate wave of the hand in westminster, that
the big estate owners lobby has put in a long term depopulation tweak,
that subtly the wages dry up with the decline of dounreay, (and petrol goes up)and along with that the CAP diminiishing, the economic appeal
of the north could be being reduced deliberately.

Perhaps that is the plan for a metropolizing society,
to pull everyone back to the black isle, and turn
the north in to a wilderness. The deer surely will love it!! :-)
The zen non-plan leaves the north dangerously open to being entirely
economically sideswiped in to obscurity, much like how american towns
away from the new interstates, became ghost towns.

rfr10
09-Dec-05, 18:26
Following on from the starting post, I thought that you might like to know that information about ASDA in Thurso is in the Caithness Courier today.

Uppiebalad
10-Dec-05, 01:24
If a new reacter is built it would be unlikely to start construction until the existing one is removed fully. Mostly this is down to cost. It would be far more hard on the economy generally to be paying for decomissioning at the same time as construction so it's out with old first then in with new.
As for labour force it wasn't here at the start and more than half of it came in from the south- now lets consider 428 new homes in Thurso. Who are the tennents going to be?:rolleyes:

pink lady
10-Dec-05, 23:13
Why does everyone keep commenting on how many houses they are building? And how there will be nobody to fill them? Think realisticly, you really think a company as big as Tulloch would plan such a huge development if they thought nobody was going to fill these houses!? As for the Asda rumours, I think it would be brilliant if Asda came up (Somerfield is crap, coop is too small and lidls doesnt meet everyones needs) as it would provide everything that everyone needs for cheap. They would get great business, I believe Thurso has been crying out for a decent supermarket for ages!

Ali
11-Dec-05, 17:59
How on earth can you say that folk wouldn't understand the Wickers !! The last call I had from a call centre was from some girl in BOMBAY !! Not too sure but I think I may have ordered a Kebab ??
I'm from Orkney myself and we have unmistakable accent but hey.......Cameron did ok !!
Does anybody else get annoyed with Pushy telesales asians calling on behalf of Toucan telecom ? I fell out with them one day, told them where to go, hung up on them and they still called me back !! How stupid are they? At least if they had a call centre manned by local friendly staff they would a better job than foreign people in foreign countries who are on a minimum wage who dont care about the person on the other end of the phone.
At least with locals you'd get " e crack" !!

pink lady
11-Dec-05, 21:51
Im sorry but I thought I wrote in the "Asda in Thurso?" section???!!!! Seriously! Start a new topic about "Thurso v Wick' or 'Could you understand people from a Wick call centre?!" section!

rfr10
12-Dec-05, 18:40
lol, I agree, this always happens on here

cullbucket
12-Dec-05, 19:00
Yes its always the same..... Here is a quote from

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=3389&page=2&highlight=thread+drift

Posting number 35....

[Quote:Fred]
Originally Posted by golach
I am confused, origionally the question asked was about the cloning of our troops.

It's called thread drift and it's what makes forums interesting.[Quote]

Must say I agree with Fred.... and MadPict earlier in this thread.....

Go On - Live a little.....

Neil
14-Dec-05, 09:29
Never forget that the larger companies know that they also have the potential for 20000 Orcadians passing through so its not just Caithness they have in their business plans.

I was in Inverness and spent a serious amount of money in Argos, Homebase, tesco etc. If I can get them closer to home then I will. I will have my short breaks in caithness but before I do, hotels are going to need to waken up and discover why Orcadians rarely stop over.

I got stuck when the ferry didnt go and it would have been cheaper for me to drive back to Inverness and stay in a travelodge than stay in some of the hotels in Wick and Thurso.

A family room in the Mackays was by far the worst quote at £125 for one night for a family room.

Your Norseman is shut, which is nice.

I eventually stayed in the Pentland in Thurso for £75. The room was high quality, the breakfast was great but it was not what we were looking for.

Travelodge and Holiday Inn have £20 nights at the weekend to encourage people when the place is quiet. 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

When we get our Lidl's next year, I bet you the turnover drops sharply in the Thurso and Wick one, so to me Argos and Homebase are still an attraction therefore Pentland ferries will still be busy (at least with my business). If it takes some of the business away from Inverness, Im not convinced that is a bad thing.

Mr Sensitive
28-Jan-06, 02:08
This was in the paper (unreliable source) ASDA store ruled out . Asda has quashed speculation that it is looking to build a new supermarket in thurso.It has been rumoured that store bosses have been checking out land next to the new housing development planned at pennyland. The supermarket's nearest store is currently elgin,although it is reported to be iterested in opening another in inverness. However, an ASDA spokeswomen yesterday said she was not aware of any plans to build farther north.What was at krieve? Can you say at again? Ma mate syas different and he works fer Asda. ;)

At spokeswoman choost said she dinna ken anything. At's corporate code fer "Ah'm a dodo an nobody's tellt me nuthin" lol lol lol.

ice box
28-Jan-06, 02:13
What was at krieve? Can you say at again? Ma mate syas different and he works fer Asda. ;)

At spokeswoman choost said she dinna ken anything. At's corporate code fer "Ah'm a dodo an nobody's tellt me nuthin" lol lol lol.
if your fae week you can work it out for yourself if not i will help you two words the groat .

ice box
28-Jan-06, 02:16
What was at krieve? Can you say at again? Ma mate syas different and he works fer Asda. ;)

You on drug or what ?

Mr Sensitive
28-Jan-06, 02:23
Me on drug? :confused:

ice box
28-Jan-06, 02:35
Me on drug? :confused:
yes you can you not reed

RandomHero
31-Jan-06, 19:34
im sure he can. can you not sppelll?

bagpuss
19-Feb-06, 23:59
Okay folks so let's return to the supermarket theme. Are Tesco's actually any further on with their Wick plans? And did the land they wanted to buy actually belong to the vendor? yes, Wick would welcome them- as long as they brought a filling station and helped cut fuel prices.

And Asda would be useful- cheap school uniform a la George? However, Walmart are not the most ethical supermarket on the planet- the Co-op- no matter what its shortcomings does promote fairtrade.

However, how many of the promised shops are going to open up in the Wick retail park> I seem to recall that in addition to Homebase and Argos, we could expect to see Next, Outfit, New Look, Borders, Starbucks and Comet.
Can anyone clarify this?

Rheghead
20-Feb-06, 00:20
I seem to recall that in addition to Homebase and Argos, we could expect to see Next, Outfit, New Look, Borders, Starbucks and Comet.
Can anyone clarify this?

Can you clarify the basis for your belief?

This is news to me, not seen any of the other afore-mentioned stating an intention to come to Caithness.:confused:

angela5
20-Feb-06, 00:24
However, how many of the promised shops are going to open up in the Wick retail park> I seem to recall that in addition to Homebase and Argos, we could expect to see Next, Outfit, New Look, Borders, Starbucks and Comet.
Can anyone clarify this?

I have'nt heard of any of these shops joining homebase and argos..we just have to wait and see what delights we get:grin:

ice box
20-Feb-06, 00:31
I heard the other day that there is 5 shops open in the retail park yipeeee

JAWS
20-Feb-06, 00:33
Tesco are very keen to come and are currently waiting to get things moving.
They hope to be able to have things cleared at least by July.

I got the impression that the hold up is at this end and that the Planning Department is the source.
The first part was stated, the second just from reading between the lines.
Sometimes the way a question is evaded tells you as much, if not more, than a direct answer.

krieve
20-Feb-06, 00:39
I heard that there are 5 signed up

ice box
20-Feb-06, 00:41
I heard that there are 5 signed up
Do you know what shops are going there krieve ?

krieve
20-Feb-06, 00:50
homebase, argos ,new look, superdrug not sure what the other one in but i heard there is 5 anyway

concerned resident
20-Feb-06, 12:01
Might be a good idea for those supporting the ASDA planning application, to write a letter to their councillors, or planning Officer, informing them that, you would like an ASDA Supermarket, before they start on about wanting it in the centre of town, as they might still not have realized, that there is no site large enough, or they go against competiton, and take notice of the objections from the shop owners. Below is the planning application from the highland council site. For some reason it is not in the local paper.

Application Number:
06/00038/OUTCA
Application Type:
Outline Application
Date of Validation:
7 February 2006
Description of Works:
Erection of class 1 retail foodstore, petrol filling station, associated car parking, landscaping, access road and roundabout, servicing, playing field, provision and associated community facilities and car parking (outline)
Location of Works:
Asda, Pennyland Farm, THURSO, Caithness,
Grid Reference:
99999, 99999
Ward:
Applicant or Applicant’s Agent:
ASDA Stores, Ltd.,
c/o GVA Grimley,
Quayside House, 127 Fountainbridge, EDINBURGH, EH3 9QG