PDA

View Full Version : The Truth and nothing but the truth

scorrie
02-Jul-08, 01:26
I wonder how many orgers trust certain people to tell the truth whatever the circumstances?

Outside of my wife, and very few close family members, I probably tend to take "The Truth" with a pinch of salt from anyone else.

Recently, I was visiting a relative in hospital and heard a, rather loud, prayer coming from a nearby bed. It seemed like the minister wanted all patients and visitors to hear his request for the recovery of one of the congregation. With the business over, the minister set about departing, telling the woman that he had to see another patient in the hospital. We were leaving at the same time. We got into the lift and when we reached the ground floor, we noticed that the minister was also there. No problem we thought, he must be visiting another ward on the ground floor. As we got into the car waiting outside, we noticed our honest minister legging it across the car park to his car. Oh yeah, another patient to see!!

Let's fess up here, he had minced beef crispy pancakes waiting at home and wanted to reach them before they went soggy. No shame in that but why spin the wifie a yarn?

Who can YOU trust?

Oddquine
02-Jul-08, 01:32
Over the last sixty years, I've found that I can trust me!

trix
02-Jul-08, 07:57
Over the last sixty years, I've found that I can trust me!

yer lucky oddquine....am only nearly 30 an cana listen til a word i say.....

i blame it on bein a gemini.....fickle :lol:

Torvaig
02-Jul-08, 08:35
I don't even trust myself! But I do have a very dear friend who knows all my dark secrets.......I have to be nice to her...... you know who you are!;)

honey
02-Jul-08, 10:22
maybe the patient was back home???

trix
02-Jul-08, 10:25
could o' even bin his wife :lol::lol:

scorrie
02-Jul-08, 12:55

He said he had someone else to see in the hospital.

angela5
02-Jul-08, 13:02
Let's fess up here, he had minced beef crispy pancakes waiting at home and wanted to reach them before they went soggy.

Maybe he didn't mean straight away, he could have gone back after eating his beef pancakes.

angela5
02-Jul-08, 13:03

Maybe he was too late in getting to the other ward :eek:

Billy Boy
02-Jul-08, 13:16
surely even the minister can tell a wee porky pie now an then, sometimes a wee porky can save a lot o trouble ;)

scorrie
02-Jul-08, 22:19
Maybe he didn't mean straight away, he could have gone back after eating his beef pancakes.

Ehh? If he wasn't going straight away, he could have stayed with the wifie for longer.

The Minister was caught telling a porkie and that is all there is to it. I don't think he'll burn in Hell over it, but I found it ironic and amusing to hear a man of the cloth give an owld wifie the bum's rush.

bettedaviseyes
02-Jul-08, 22:24
a man of the lord lieing

Kevin Milkins
02-Jul-08, 23:17
I am with scorrie on this one ,a porky is a lie and it does not matter how you dress it up.
All relationships and freindships are built on a foundation of trust ,if that trust is betrayed in any way the cracks will soon appear.
There are only just a few people that I would trust without question.

Venture
03-Jul-08, 00:24
Maybe he meant a patient in another hospital. ;)

Perhaps he was running to get there before visiting finished in say the Town and County Hospital.

Anne x
03-Jul-08, 00:28

That is what I thought on reading the post or a nursing home maybe Im quite sure he was visiting somewhere
very busy people Vicars and pastors

_Ju_
03-Jul-08, 07:25
Maybe.....just maybe, he did not want to hurt anyones feelings..... how terrible is that!?

scorrie
03-Jul-08, 14:57

Perhaps he was running to get there before visiting finished in say the Town and County Hospital.

As Max Boyce used to say "I KNOW, cos I was THERE"

It is lovely to see all these posters rising to the defence of the minister with all these possible "excuses"

Like Primark Clothing, I ain't buyin' it ;)

dirdyweeker
03-Jul-08, 17:04
could he not have gone to see the other patient but he / she was in Xray, theatre, mortuary or some such other place! Maybe even off for a smoke. Not all patients spend their days or nights tethered to a bed.

Kevin Milkins
03-Jul-08, 17:18
As Max Boyce used to say "I KNOW, cos I was THERE"

It is lovely to see all these posters rising to the defence of the minister with all these possible "excuses"

Like Primark Clothing, I ain't buyin' it ;)

Just because he is a man of the cloth (and I dont mean not a vileda salesman) does not mean he is not a liar.

He proberbly had to rush back to give a choir boy his piano lessons ,would be near the truth;)

wifie
03-Jul-08, 17:53
The truth here is we will never know unless we ask the minister in question.
Re - who do I trust - well me! We can honestly never say 100 per cent that any other person is not lying to us can we?

trix
03-Jul-08, 18:22
The truth here is we will never know unless we ask the minister in question.
Re - who do I trust - well me! We can honestly never say 100 per cent that any other person is not lying to us can we?

what if ye tell fibs til yersel??

i can a listen til a word i say sometimes :roll:

least i ken when am tellin fibs i suppose, disna stop me fie tellin them tho :lol:

scorrie
03-Jul-08, 18:32
could he not have gone to see the other patient but he / she was in Xray, theatre, mortuary or some such other place! Maybe even off for a smoke. Not all patients spend their days or nights tethered to a bed.

This is the last time I will emphasise that I was there, the minister left at the same time we did. He did not go anywhere else in the hospital. If his patient WAS in the mortuary, he was a bit LATE!! ;)

wifie
04-Jul-08, 12:05
Good point raised trix - suppose we do lie to ourselves but like you said at least we ken! So thing is can we really class these as lies? What is a lie? Is a lie told to make someone feel better really a lie? Blimey confused - or am I lying? ;)

newlin
08-Jul-08, 21:23
I agree, the only person you can trust to tell the truth is yourself (and if you do lie to yourself then you're the only one who gets hurt).

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that a man of the cloth has lied, even if it was only a white lie to make a hasty exit, as I have been on the receiving end of lies from one. I suppose they are just humans the same as the rest of us, but you don't expect them to lie to you.

rockchick
08-Jul-08, 21:32
What purpose would the truth have served, in this instance? He was visiting someone who was sick/needy, and having done so, made excuses (perhaps not so honestly) to remove himself from the sick/needy person. Truth? After a certain period of time, the vicar wanted to be somewhere else. For whatever reason. Does it really matter to sick/needy person what that reason was?

Would it have made the person feel better to be told "sorry, but my grand-neice is having her sports day, and I really want to be there"? A lie to spare the feelings of the person, where the reason doesn't really change the facts, is not a bad thing. I think.

scorrie
08-Jul-08, 23:24
What purpose would the truth have served, in this instance? He was visiting someone who was sick/needy, and having done so, made excuses (perhaps not so honestly) to remove himself from the sick/needy person. Truth? After a certain period of time, the vicar wanted to be somewhere else. For whatever reason. Does it really matter to sick/needy person what that reason was?

Would it have made the person feel better to be told "sorry, but my grand-neice is having her sports day, and I really want to be there"? A lie to spare the feelings of the person, where the reason doesn't really change the facts, is not a bad thing. I think.

Your post sums up the point I was making. We ALL tell lies. WHO can you REALLY trust?

It amused me that the Minister told a White Lie and it amused me more to see posters try to offer up lame excuses that might let "One of God's own" off the hook.

The Minister could have simply said that he was Hank Marvin and there was a packet of Findus with his name on it in the freezer.

connieb19
08-Jul-08, 23:27
Maybe he wasna a minister, maybe he lied about that too and was really an escaped patient from another ward.