PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Bannatyne V British American Tobacco

mccaugm
01-Jul-08, 22:13
Watched this documentary. Absolutely brilliant, the man got his point across without ranting and raving. He pointed out that in various countries e.g. Nigeria, tobacco is pushed onto children. The B.A.T. say that they do put warning messages on the packets but most of the kids CAN'T READ!!! They put on music events where the only way to get in is to buy a packet of 20 cigarettes with no age restricitions. If this was done in Britain there would be a hue and cry. Hence the reason they push their cancer sticks on children in countries who know no different...arrggghhh!

Good on you Mr Bannatyne.....he even stated that his kids inheritance will only be given if they DO NOT smoke. The man is a genius!!!!

Kevin Milkins
01-Jul-08, 22:16
I can feel Lord Flashheart getting up a head of steam.:lol:

Rheghead
01-Jul-08, 22:22
At 5p an hour and at over £5 per pack, how do they target their core customer base?

Lord Flasheart
02-Jul-08, 01:04
I can feel Lord Flashheart getting up a head of steam.:lol:

Why ??, I agree totally with the points made. Didnt see the programme but making kids buy ciggies just to get into a concert is well out of line. Actively targetting kids in third world countries is a bity of a no no in my book.

My beef is with those who seem to zero in on smokers like we are the devil himself then turn round and criticise me when I have no compassion for certain other addicts.

Yoda the flump
02-Jul-08, 09:45
And those little horns on your head are?

MadPict
02-Jul-08, 10:01
At 5p an hour and at over £5 per pack, how do they target their core customer base?

They sell the cigaretters singly, called "sticks", for a couple of pence. During the programme Bannatyne interviewed various individuals, and they stated when asked about the cost of buying cigarettes, that people would rather not eat and would spend their money on cigarettes.

The sale of "sticks" is prohibited by the BAT's own rules. Even their adverts were breaking their own code of conduct.

Back in the UK, Bannatyne was stood outside the AGM of BAT shareholders trying to ask the shareholders if they were proud of the fact BAT was targeting children and one pompous shareholder told Bannatyne to go and get a job [lol] - he obviously doesn't watch Dragons Den...

Lord Flasheart
02-Jul-08, 20:28
And those little horns on your head are?

Epic Fail .. ;)