PDA

View Full Version : Using a Laptop Abroad

Venture
01-Jul-08, 21:51
My knowledge on this is pretty thin. So Im wondering if anyone can tell me if I am able to use my laptop abroad and what additional items I would need to make it happen. I have worked out that I will need a plug adaptor re the different power connection but Im not sure about the rest. Any help appreciated.

blueivy
01-Jul-08, 22:02
My knowledge on this is pretty thin. So Im wondering if anyone can tell me if I am able to use my laptop abroad and what additional items I would need to make it happen. I have worked out that I will need a plug adaptor re the different power connection but Im not sure about the rest. Any help appreciated.

If you're just going to use the laptop standlone (ie. not connect it to the phone line) then nothing.

If you are going to connect it to a phone line for dial-up then you will need an adapter / cable for the country you are going to.

emb123
01-Jul-08, 23:50
Going through the process just at the moment of trying to extract compensation for what is basically a 'fried' pc, I read that for laptops, insurance companies consider a portable surge protector, even a relatively cheap one is an indispensible item which every laptop owner should use.

If your pc does still get fried by a foreign dodgy power supply (as opposed to a Scottish Hydro Electric dodgy power supply) then if you have such a device buffering your equipment you can reasonably claim that you have taken all reasonable steps to protect your laptop.

angela5
02-Jul-08, 12:40

You just can't keep away from here...[lol]

Tony
02-Jul-08, 19:38
Most places have wireless internet access these days including airports with what is usually called "Hot spots" and can be ISP specific (an area that you can go to for wireless access if desired). In the Hotels you may require a password from reception to access the network.
Most laptop power supply adapters will accept between 110v and 240v a.c but check as it will say on the adapter.