PDA

View Full Version : Another of those you can get money emails

veekay
30-Jun-08, 19:59
Well I think it is anyway. I have just had an email from HM Custom and Revenue telling me I am due a rebate. I have, apparently to download a form but only have 48hrs and them will have to wait upto 30days to hear back. Very nice but as I don't earn I don't pay tax and I can't see the taxman giving me something for nothing can you.

I think it is a dodgy email so take care if you get one

wee sparkle
01-Jul-08, 14:04
I absolutely despise those money emails that you get sent, like for instance i recieved two separate emails saying that i was related to some long lost, now deceased, arabian prince and that since i was the "next traceable living family member" i was to inherit £1million, all i had to do was enter in my bank details and they would direct the money straight into my bank account.
Thankfully i am sensible enough to know better, but they make the letter feel very personal, and i can imagine someone somewhere has fallen into that trap. I dont know how they get your emails...but they do!

Im not sure about your email veekay but it sounds kinda dodgy. Im a bit young and clueless when it comes to tax and things, but you could always phone them up and check, just to be on the safe side?

veekay
01-Jul-08, 20:00
I agree it did sound dodgy so I sent it to HM Revenue and Customs, they have an email for dodgy sounding things. I wonder if I should send them Gordon Brown!

Kevin Milkins
01-Jul-08, 21:08
I absolutely despise those money emails that you get sent, like for instance i recieved two separate emails saying that i was related to some long lost, now deceased, arabian prince and that since i was the "next traceable living family member" i was to inherit £1million, all i had to do was enter in my bank details and they would direct the money straight into my bank account.
Thankfully i am sensible enough to know better, but they make the letter feel very personal, and i can imagine someone somewhere has fallen into that trap. I dont know how they get your emails...but they do!

Im not sure about your email veekay but it sounds kinda dodgy. Im a bit young and clueless when it comes to tax and things, but you could always phone them up and check, just to be on the safe side?

As I pointed out on the breast feeding petition, I for one do not post my details because although they say your details are secure, it does make me wonder. That petition has 4689 people give there email address and home address to date. These details are worth a lot of money to the wrong sort of people.:eek:
It is up to the individual to exercise a bit of common sense in these matters.:confused

Lord Flasheart
01-Jul-08, 21:34
If you really want to bite back at the people sending these e mails then forward it on to these guys .. www.419eater.com (http://www.419eater.com)

They spam them back and basically run circles round them, its fun when you get a bite. The added plus is that if they are replying to them it means they arent spamming anyone else.

Some seriously funny episodes in making the spammers look stupid, they often get them to send photos of them holding signs saying extremely dubious things to keep what they think is a legitimate bite going.

armanisgirl
01-Jul-08, 23:22
If you really want to bite back at the people sending these e mails then forward it on to these guys .. www.419eater.com (http://www.419eater.com)

They spam them back and basically run circles round them, its fun when you get a bite. The added plus is that if they are replying to them it means they arent spamming anyone else.

Some seriously funny episodes in making the spammers look stupid, they often get them to send photos of them holding signs saying extremely dubious things to keep what they think is a legitimate bite going.

What happens if I click on the link? Will I get spammed? I'm too scared to click on anything now :confused [lol]

Lord Flasheart
02-Jul-08, 01:11
What happens if I click on the link? Will I get spammed? I'm too scared to click on anything now :confused [lol]

You should have a look, trust me .. ;)

These guys go after the spammers and lead them a merry dance. I have done it once or twice and it is highly satisfying. If you get one of these begging e-mails or the "I have $20,000,000 but ..." variety send it to them and they will go after them.

A spammer who is dealing with the 419eater's isnt spamming an inncoent party at the end of the day, plus its damn good fun.

katarina
02-Jul-08, 15:39
Well I think it is anyway. I have just had an email from HM Custom and Revenue telling me I am due a rebate. I have, apparently to download a form but only have 48hrs and them will have to wait upto 30days to hear back. Very nice but as I don't earn I don't pay tax and I can't see the taxman giving me something for nothing can you.

I think it is a dodgy email so take care if you get one

I've twice had tax rebates, and twice I have been notified by post - not email.. Had another letter from them today saying they still owe me some money. this seems to be their way of communicating - not by email.

katarina
02-Jul-08, 15:45

I can't open the link.

Angela
02-Jul-08, 15:50
I've twice had tax rebates, and twice I have been notified by post - not email.. Had another letter from them today saying they still owe me some money. this seems to be their way of communicating - not by email.

Me too - I had two rebates from them earlier this year :D and they notified me by letter. In fact by the time I got the letters, they'd already paid the money into my bank account.

veekay, the email you got does sound like a scam.