PDA

View Full Version : Thurso & Wick Turning Inside-Out

Uppiebalad
06-Dec-05, 16:54
I can't help but notice the crassly idiot way in which the local authority allows planning applications to go through that clearly step away from government policy on brown field sites as well as being completly lacking in long term vision of the effects on Thurso and Wick.
Take the point that Thurso has been the subject of interest from commercial retail developers for years but alas there is a shortage of suitable premisses in the town centre. This is in part because existing spaces are too small and/or subject to conditions due to the buildings being either listed or in a conservation area (the whole of Thurso town centre).
However there exists a number of sites in the middle of town suitable for the construction of new retail space thus keeping the shopping community in the centre as desired by local traders.
So why then on a prime brown field site are flats being built at Manson's Lane. Surely as we look at our town centres we realise that housing is often above retail space. In Manson's Lane there is an excellent opotunity to construct modern retail space as well as providing residential space above. This is entirely within the policies of the local plan yet the plan has no terms or conditions to ensure such development occurs where it is possible.
I argued for ages when the plan was being put together for such terms but to no avail.
Tesco's, whether we need them or not, were originally wanting one of the two auction mart sites in Thurso and as far as I am aware had nearly bought the one by the railway station but the council refused them tooth and nail. The auction mart by the rail is a brownfield site which offers significant space to ensure and allow expansion of Thurso's town centre retail sector. However more housing is earmarked for this site.
Now I'm asking why build houses when Dounreay is in rundown. Houses only provide short term growth. They do not provide long term jobs and economic stability. (Although there's supposed to be something in the wind)
As for Wick the much needed jobs boom coming from the retail park which is demographically in the wrong place, will most certainly turn the town inside out. Councilors say they don't want green belt retail but this year backed down on their own policy, I wonder if they will now allow the same in Thurso or are there two sets of rules here in the common local plan?
By god Wick needs the jobs but it's town centre is going to suffer for poor planning in the local plan.
There is no long term thought in it and if there is no follow through from Dounreay it will be all for nothing.
That aside I think we will be getting another nuclear plant giving the governments' recent statement. It makes sense getting the old one out of the way first before building the next.
But alas the local plan is doing our towns no favours.