PDA

View Full Version : Memories - how time passes

bekisman
30-Jun-08, 09:27
Memories - how time passes

Just browsing my old diary and noticed an entry; "Into St Austell to see Roy then onto Probus, had fish and chips; 35p" Eh? 35p! Of course the entry was dated Oct 19th 1978 but what's the price now?.. makes you think..

Thumper
30-Jun-08, 10:33
A diary is fantastic for telling us how things were and how things have changed.My Dad was a great guy but never one for showing his emotions etc,but when he died I was given all his diary's to keep and I was amazed at how much was in them,it was small entries, but he had noted down everything I had every done,like what prizes I had won dancing etc,I will treasure those little books forever x

Angela
30-Jun-08, 10:58
When my Mum died I discovered her diary for 1941 -the year she and my Dad got married. It was just a wee book with things jotted down, not a journal, but it gave me an insight I'd never had before into what it was like for them getting married during the war and being apart.

My Dad was a recently qualified vet and wasn't called up, but they were still living a long way away from each other. She noted down the times she was able to phone him -e.g. on his birthday! because they were very special occasions! Other entries included the films she saw almost weekly, occasional purchases of new stockings and visits of family members home on leave. :)

It felt very strange to think of my mother as a young woman ...I wasn't born until 10 years later!

trinkie
30-Jun-08, 12:03
In Torquay 1960 B and B was 2/6 a night That's 12 and a half new p.....

The following year it doubled in price to 5/- , we just could not afford to go again. I remember saying that would be the end of B and Bs , they would never survive.

The year before we went to London to see My Fair Lady, our Box cost £1.10/- That put us in the red for months !

Trinkie