PDA

View Full Version : Spaniel Eating Grass

Anne x
29-Jun-08, 14:07
My 8r old Cocker Spaniel Bitch has taken to eating grass does that mean she is lacking something in her diet or is that a old wives tale ?
She appears to be ok a bit listless maybe but then its warm outside

carasmam
29-Jun-08, 14:50
Cara eats grass to make herself sick if somethings not agreed with her. Sometimes she starts eating grass around the time her worming tablet is due as well, hope that helps :)

Liz
29-Jun-08, 18:05
It usually indicates an upset tum so would be worth treating your wee dog for this.I got a good natural product called Tummy Aid from www.healthydirect.co.uk Has her diet changed at all as I know Benjy reacts if his food has been changed?The only one which agrees with him is Naturediet Lite.

Mind you Benjy eats it every time he sees a train(he's a keen trainspotter!).
It seems to be a ritual he has. Strange animal!:lol:

parkie
29-Jun-08, 20:10
all dog,s eat grass

lynne duncan
30-Jun-08, 00:05
our cocker hepzie is 3 and she eats grass, i had heard about the upset tummy theory and believed it but she seems to like the taste of grass! maybe she is crossed with a sheep somewhere back through her history!

Margaret M.
30-Jun-08, 00:47
Info below is from this website:
http://www.petlibrary.co.uk/dog-care/why-do-dogs-eat-grass.html?Itemid=33

Dogs are omnivores, which means they eat meat as well as plants. They don't need grassy nutrients any more because most commercial dog foods are nutritionally complete. But dogs aren't nutritionists. They don't know or care that they've already gotten their vitamin or mineral quotients from a bowl of kibble. Their instincts tell them that grass is good, so they eat it. Besides, there's a world of difference between satisfying the minimal nutritional requirements and having a great meal. And for many dogs, a mouthful of grass clearly tastes great. It's like a salad - they eat some, then want more.

Even dogs who usually don't eat grass will head straight for the nearest patch when they're feeling sick. They'll gobble a few mouthfuls, retch, and then throw up, or at least try to. Veterinarians still aren't sure if dogs eat grass because their stomachs are upset or if their stomachs get upset after they eat grass. However, many vets suspect it's the former, because dogs who are energetic and perky seem to be able to eat grass without getting sick afterward. It seems likely that there's something in grass that does stimulate the urge to vomit.

The stomach has all kinds of neuro-receptors that respond to what dogs ingest. They react to acidity, chemical content, and textures. The texture of the grass has something like a tickle effect on the stomach, which may induce vomiting.

This tummy tickle may explain why healthy dogs can eat grass without getting sick. They take a mouthful, chew it thoroughly and swallow, then reach down for some more. Dogs who are sick, however, appear almost desperate for the grass. They don't chew it carefully or savor the taste. They gobble it. Without the chewing, those prickly little stalks hit their stomachs all at once.

This may be what stimulates the urge to throw it all back up - along with whatever was irritating their stomachs in the first place. They can't stick their fingers down their throats or ask for syrup of ipecac like people can, so eating grass is something that works. And once dogs find something that works, they tend to stick with it.

Watch Out What Grass Your Dog Is Eating

Unless your dog is in the habit of regurgitating grass on the dining room floor, there's no reason to worry about it. Dogs have been eating grass for thousands or tens of thousands of years, and there's no evidence at all that it's bad for them. That isn't the case, however, when grass has been treated with insecticides, herbicides, or other chemicals. Most products say on the label whether they're dangerous for pets. In any event, you should certainly keep dogs away from grass soon after chemicals have been applied. Most products break down fairly quickly, but they can be quite dangerous if your dog eats them while they're fresh.

Serve Sparky Some Broccoli
It's just a theory at this point, but some veterinarians believe that dogs eat grass because they're not getting enough fiber in their diets. You may want to buy a higher-fiber food - pet foods for "seniors" generally have the most. These foods can be expensive, however, so you may want to look for other ways to supplement your dog's diet.

Most dogs don't care for raw vegetables, but you can run some broccoli or green beans through the blender, adding chicken or beef broth for flavor. Or add a sprinkling of bran to their food.

divanp75
30-Jun-08, 13:19
all dog,s eat grass

Yep my dogs have all eaten grass, the cats too
Diane

Liz
30-Jun-08, 14:04
None of my dogs have eaten grass unless it was to make themselves sick.

I would say if your dog doesn't normally eat grass then it could be because her tummy is upset especially if she is also a bit 'off colour'.

teenybash
30-Jun-08, 15:18
One of my dogs eats grass and then is sick....the other eats grass and isn't sick........if the dog is otherwise okay there is nothing to be concerned about....the time to worry is when the grass starts eating the dog!!!!!!![lol]

Aaldtimer
30-Jun-08, 16:06
Yep my dogs have all eaten grass, the cats too
Diane

Nothing like a balanced diet...meat & veg!:lol:

Kevin Milkins
30-Jun-08, 19:03
My 8r old Cocker Spaniel Bitch has taken to eating grass does that mean she is lacking something in her diet or is that a old wives tale ?
She appears to be ok a bit listless maybe but then its warm outside

I shouldnt worry too much about about your dog eating grass.
If he starts to smoke it though you may need to have a word.;)

binbob
30-Jun-08, 19:07
Info below is from this website:
http://www.petlibrary.co.uk/dog-care/why-do-dogs-eat-grass.html?Itemid=33

Dogs are omnivores, which means they eat meat as well as plants. They don't need grassy nutrients any more because most commercial dog foods are nutritionally complete. But dogs aren't nutritionists. They don't know or care that they've already gotten their vitamin or mineral quotients from a bowl of kibble. Their instincts tell them that grass is good, so they eat it. Besides, there's a world of difference between satisfying the minimal nutritional requirements and having a great meal. And for many dogs, a mouthful of grass clearly tastes great. It's like a salad - they eat some, then want more.

Even dogs who usually don't eat grass will head straight for the nearest patch when they're feeling sick. They'll gobble a few mouthfuls, retch, and then throw up, or at least try to. Veterinarians still aren't sure if dogs eat grass because their stomachs are upset or if their stomachs get upset after they eat grass. However, many vets suspect it's the former, because dogs who are energetic and perky seem to be able to eat grass without getting sick afterward. It seems likely that there's something in grass that does stimulate the urge to vomit.

The stomach has all kinds of neuro-receptors that respond to what dogs ingest. They react to acidity, chemical content, and textures. The texture of the grass has something like a tickle effect on the stomach, which may induce vomiting.

This tummy tickle may explain why healthy dogs can eat grass without getting sick. They take a mouthful, chew it thoroughly and swallow, then reach down for some more. Dogs who are sick, however, appear almost desperate for the grass. They don't chew it carefully or savor the taste. They gobble it. Without the chewing, those prickly little stalks hit their stomachs all at once.

This may be what stimulates the urge to throw it all back up - along with whatever was irritating their stomachs in the first place. They can't stick their fingers down their throats or ask for syrup of ipecac like people can, so eating grass is something that works. And once dogs find something that works, they tend to stick with it.

Watch Out What Grass Your Dog Is Eating

Unless your dog is in the habit of regurgitating grass on the dining room floor, there's no reason to worry about it. Dogs have been eating grass for thousands or tens of thousands of years, and there's no evidence at all that it's bad for them. That isn't the case, however, when grass has been treated with insecticides, herbicides, or other chemicals. Most products say on the label whether they're dangerous for pets. In any event, you should certainly keep dogs away from grass soon after chemicals have been applied. Most products break down fairly quickly, but they can be quite dangerous if your dog eats them while they're fresh.

Serve Sparky Some Broccoli
It's just a theory at this point, but some veterinarians believe that dogs eat grass because they're not getting enough fiber in their diets. You may want to buy a higher-fiber food - pet foods for "seniors" generally have the most. These foods can be expensive, however, so you may want to look for other ways to supplement your dog's diet.

Most dogs don't care for raw vegetables, but you can run some broccoli or green beans through the blender, adding chicken or beef broth for flavor. Or add a sprinkling of bran to their food.

my 4 dogs all eat raw vegs. and any cooked as well ...they have all eaten grass at some point..and they were not ill in any way.dogs just eat grass...and as long as they seem fit and well ...no worries.

Tugmistress
30-Jun-08, 20:15
My dogs eat grass once in a while and does them no harm, they don't vomit on it either. They also eat any veg i give them that i don't finish, the only thing they wont eat is lettuce but the onions are gone like a shot lol

bothyman
30-Jun-08, 20:32
My dog used to nibble the fresh tops off of the grass like a sheep maybe its because its sweet, my neighbours dog did the same.
When she was not feeling too good she ate coarse grass which usually came back up and cleared her stomach.

Anne x
01-Jul-08, 09:59
Thanks for all your replies pleased to say she is much better must of been a tummy bug she is bouncing around as we speak just hate seeing her all listless
thanks Liz for all your good advice

Liz
01-Jul-08, 13:06
Thanks for all your replies pleased to say she is much better must of been a tummy bug she is bouncing around as we speak just hate seeing her all listless
thanks Liz for all your good advice

I am so glad she is better Anne!:D

I do realise that some dogs like the taste of grass but if, as in Anne's case, a dog who doesn't normally eat grass is eating it and isn't well then this would indicate a tummy upset of some sort.

I still wonder why Benjy has to eat some grass everytime he sees the train?:roll: Maybe it gives him motion sickness!

jings00
01-Jul-08, 17:20
My dogs eat grass once in a while and does them no harm, they don't vomit on it either. They also eat any veg i give them that i don't finish, the only thing they wont eat is lettuce but the onions are gone like a shot lol

ah, dinna gie the dugs ingans, they areny good for them!!

Tugmistress
01-Jul-08, 21:11
ah, dinna gie the dugs ingans, they areny good for them!!

It's very rare they get them and they are always cooked and in mince so no great quantities anyway so dinnae worry :)

jings00
02-Jul-08, 10:41
before i knew they were bad for dogs, i gave my visiting sister's westie the leftover onion gravy from dinner. baaaaaaaaaaad mistake.
wee sod wis reeking all night!! groo!