PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who! / Ideal Timelord (Merged)

Fluff
28-Jun-08, 20:37
Ok please do not read if you did not watch this weeks episode of Doctor Who, I don't want to spoil it for you.

right, oh my god!! who is doctor who now? what is the key? what was the drumming noise? will everyone die?? so many questions, how can i possibly be expected to wait a week!!!

silverfox57
28-Jun-08, 20:56
first time seen in for a while,was very good will have to wait till next sat,that how never watch soaps ,they kept you waiting in for every,

SunsetSong
28-Jun-08, 21:15
If there is new Doctor then its the best kept secret in TV for a long time!!

Slightly stunned by the episode lol....lots of "What? What? What?" going on in my house :lol:

There is a trailer for next week's episode to be shown on BBC1 tomorrow just before 1pm and next week's episode is an hour long show. Can't wait!!

bobbyrussell09
29-Jun-08, 13:01
david tennant is still the doctor,he has already signed up to do the specials next year ,since there isnt going to be a full series untill 2010.he is currently filming the x mas episode with the cybermen

Fluff
29-Jun-08, 13:44
or is that what they want us to think.....

bekisman
29-Jun-08, 14:40
It could be him:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/2007/11/12/john-simm-tipped-to-be-new-doctor-who-91466-20096490/ (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/2007/11/12/john-simm-tipped-to-be-new-doctor-who-91466-20096490/)
But Ms Penn said she thought it was still a little premature to be suggesting names to replace Tennant in 2009, when he is expected to leave the show.
But then it could be him: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article261671.ece (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article261671.ece)

(Not that I watch it of course) ;)

percy toboggan
29-Jun-08, 16:31
Emperors new clothes.
That's how I rate the current series of Doctor Who.
I've probably seen about half of the output.
Reveals the dearth of really good entertainment for families. The often impeneterable plot lines are totally lost on most children, and for that matter their baffled parents , who do their best to explain what's going on.

Production values are undeniably high and the acting generally excellent, although Ms.Tate seems one dimensional. Tennant is very strong in the role, and seems the perfect Doctor.

The overly cosmopolitan cast smacks of excess tokenism run rampant and is symptomatic of a deep vein of political over-correctness within the national broadcaster. **

Much like the first two series of 'Life on Mars' the BBC light entertainment brigade are fortunate to have been lauded so much praise for good innovative ideas, when the truly remarkable , ground breaking programmes -which were once commonplace - still elude them.
**Before you dismiss my comments around casting out of hand, you might care to look at the following link.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jun/26/bbc.television

MadPict
29-Jun-08, 17:06
Whoa PT - had a bowl of alphabetispaghetti? :D

I have been wondering about the recent Dr Who series - so many episodes seem to be written around which set of customes are hanging in the BBC wardrobe. The episodes seem to be well made but are they any better than the old shaky walls and planets made from the local gravel pit of old?

And whose teeth did Billy Piper have in last night? They certainly were not her's - maybe the old Dick Emery vicars teeth (http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44301000/jpg/_44301832_dickemeryvicar203.jpg) were found so they decided to brush them off?

obiron
30-Jun-08, 11:22
this new series of dr who rocks. got to be the best yet. david tennant will still be the doc cos hes doing 3 eps next year and the xmas one.
If people dont like dr who simple thing to do is switch off the telly and watch something else.

bobbyrussell09
30-Jun-08, 11:28
well said obiron

Valerie Campbell
30-Jun-08, 11:37
My girls were gobsmakced at Saturday's episode. What was going on? I must admit I've really enjoyed David Tennant as the Dr. And it was good to see John Simm as The Master, away from Life on Mars, which I'm sure will dog him for a while. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens on Saturday night...to be continued...

percy toboggan
30-Jun-08, 12:28
this new series of dr who rocks. got to be the best yet. david tennant will still be the doc cos hes doing 3 eps next year and the xmas one.
If people dont like dr who simple thing to do is switch off the telly and watch something else.

On one level I agree with you.

However, when a series like this one is venerated and lauded so much it is a good idea for interested observers of social trends to take a look from time to time. I said I'm not a committed viewer, but I didn't say I disliked all aspects of the show. It makes for a watchable, if sometimes unfathomable forty minutes. I make copies on disc and allow my grandaughter to watch selected episodes - she's not yet six, but keen on the Doctor.....so far the 'scary' bits have barely registered beyond simple questioning for answers, some of which elude me.

The episode 'Blink' -from an earlier series - for instance was very well written and conceived.
We all enjoyed that one. Other epsiodes haven't gone down as well though

My comment 'Emperors New Clothes' was simply my way of saying the programme is not as good as it is hyped up to be in my opinion. Perhaps you do not know what the expression means, for fairy tales can make grimm reading for many of today's younger people. I assume you're young given your style of writing. If I'm mistaken then I apologise. Whatever your age I appreciate your input enough to respond to it...Now, I've made two assumptions and if they are incorrect I crave forgiveness.

Long may you continue to enjoy watching the Doctor in all of his incarnations and guises. Will there ever be a female Doctor I wonder?...or perhaps one from an ethnic minority? Inevitable I expect, and like American politics, it will be interesting to see which comes first...or perhaps they might kill two birds with the same stone and promote that Martha woman !

Not splitting hairs but 'switching off the telly and watching something else' puzzled me....what would one watch instead? The wireless perhaps.:confused

mrs_algaliarept
30-Jun-08, 12:46

I was thinking about this as I watched it yesterday that I had heard that david tennant was already filming the xmas special and plus david tennant is such a good dr who I dont think that they would get rid of him in the second last episode would have to be at the end of a series although i have never watched the old ones except for the first ever episode i didnt think there had every been a time when he regenerated and didnt change cant wait to watch this preview thing or whatever it is at 1pm today I think they said on the website and am thoroughly enjoying this series I love dr who and am gona be sad when its done

Max
30-Jun-08, 13:25
Oh it is just all too much to me - I need a lie down!

bobbyrussell09
04-Jul-08, 20:45
doctor who is the best,i may hold back in the future before putting up a post bout tv or films because no doubt pery tobbogan .will ciome on an in his fancy way say its not as good as it used to be ,lighten up percy

bobbyrussell09
04-Jul-08, 20:48
if david tennant had not became the doctor ,who would u have as the doctor

ciderally
04-Jul-08, 21:33
you on about Dr Who? ....dont know why they brought that back....

wifie
04-Jul-08, 21:38
Some people have no taste - "Don't know why they brought that back!" I think DT is one of the best Dr Who's ever - other faves John Pertwee and Tom Baker. Just don't know who I would pick - someone else should start the ball rolling. They have to bring wit to the role though! (Didn't actually watch the Chris Eccleston incarnation - too sour faced for me!)

neepnipper
04-Jul-08, 21:38
I think David Tennant is the best Doctor ever (and gorgeous!), still want to hide behind the sofa when the music comes on!
He'll be a hard act to follow, maybe there could be a woman Doctor!
Can't wait for tomorrows episode!

mccaugm
04-Jul-08, 22:12
If they want a sexy British actor then the following would be suitable

Sean Bean
Colin Firth
James McAvoy
Ewen McGregor
For a more quirky doctor then I suggest the following.....

Russell Brand
Martin Clunes
Alan Cumming
George Irving (Anton Meyer, Holby City) http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/casualty/staff_room/holby_city_anton.shtml
Denis Lawson
Ben Price (Nasty Nathan from Casualty)

MadPict
04-Jul-08, 22:19
Johnny Vegas....

highbury
04-Jul-08, 22:24
jon sim, sean pertwee , billie piper !!

scorrie
04-Jul-08, 22:26
Johnny Vegas....

Worth a try maybe, he might be better at that than he is at trying to be a comedian!!

On second thoughts, he's totally outclassed in the PG tea ads by a knitted monkey.

catnip
04-Jul-08, 22:28
Dr Who for me when i was growing up was Tom Baker. I did like Christopher Eccleston, I think he is really sexy and acted the part like Tom Baker did. David Tennant looks too much like Snarfers mate!

catnip
04-Jul-08, 22:35
I have not read any of the threads as I have not been able to see Dr Who with Billy Piper back in it.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE HAS ANYONE RECORDED IT THAT CAN STICK IT ON DVD FOR ME. PLEASE PM IF YOU HAVE

Tubthumper
04-Jul-08, 22:53
He'll be a hard act to follow, maybe there could be a woman Doctor!

How about Alex Kingston, ex-ER?

She'd be great! And she's got her own Sonic Screwdriver!

percy toboggan
04-Jul-08, 22:59
William Hartnell did it for me.
Also Peter Cushing in the first Dr.Who movie.
I think Pertwee was good , and his assistant Jo (KAty Manning?) was spiffing.
Tennant has been very good though, it's undeniable.

I thought it was funnier when sets were wobbly, but things have moved on.

TBH
04-Jul-08, 23:07
On one level I agree with you.

However, when a series like this one is venerated and lauded so much it is a good idea for interested observers of social trends to take a look from time to time. I said I'm not a committed viewer, but I didn't say I disliked all aspects of the show. It makes for a watchable, if sometimes unfathomable forty minutes. I make copies on disc and allow my grandaughter to watch selected episodes - she's not yet six, but keen on the Doctor.....so far the 'scary' bits have barely registered beyond simple questioning for answers, some of which elude me.

The episode 'Blink' -from an earlier series - for instance was very well written and conceived.
We all enjoyed that one. Other epsiodes haven't gone down as well though

My comment 'Emperors New Clothes' was simply my way of saying the programme is not as good as it is hyped up to be in my opinion. Perhaps you do not know what the expression means, for fairy tales can make grimm reading for many of today's younger people. I assume you're young given your style of writing. If I'm mistaken then I apologise. Whatever your age I appreciate your input enough to respond to it...Now, I've made two assumptions and if they are incorrect I crave forgiveness.

Long may you continue to enjoy watching the Doctor in all of his incarnations and guises. Will there ever be a female Doctor I wonder?...or perhaps one from an ethnic minority? Inevitable I expect, and like American politics, it will be interesting to see which comes first...or perhaps they might kill two birds with the same stone and promote that Martha woman !

Not splitting hairs but 'switching off the telly and watching something else' puzzled me....what would one watch instead? The wireless perhaps.:confusedI don't see why there should be a female Dr, it's a male character and should remain so but there is nothing to stop them changing his ethnicity I suppose. Nay to a female Dr, np need to appease anyone which is all that would be about. Get yer own Timelady.[lol]

tigger2u
04-Jul-08, 23:26
If they want a sexy British actor then the following would be suitable

Sean Bean
Colin Firth
James McAvoy
Ewen McGregor
For a more quirky doctor then I suggest the following.....

Russell Brand
Martin Clunes
Alan Cumming
George Irving (Anton Meyer, Holby City) http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/casualty/staff_room/holby_city_anton.shtml
Denis Lawson
Ben Price (Nasty Nathan from Casualty)

Good Choices...it would be Alan Cummings or Ewan McGregor for me, I think both could bring a good sense of humour to the role.

My Fav Dr's were Tom Baker & Peter Davidson

Geo
04-Jul-08, 23:30
I have not read any of the threads as I have not been able to see Dr Who with Billy Piper back in it.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE HAS ANYONE RECORDED IT THAT CAN STICK IT ON DVD FOR ME. PLEASE PM IF YOU HAVE

It's available to watch on BBC iPlayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00cccvg

Fluff
05-Jul-08, 08:28
Why have these threads been merged?? They are not about the same thing, just because the about about doctor who does not mean they are the same.

grrrr, I can't watch it tonight, i have the record it. now i will have to avoid this thread!

mrs_algaliarept
05-Jul-08, 08:39
I don't see why there should be a female Dr, it's a male character and should remain so but there is nothing to stop them changing his ethnicity I suppose. Nay to a female Dr, np need to appease anyone which is all that would be about. Get yer own Timelady.[lol]

Isnt there one already the docters daughter she is alive and kicking and Im sure we will be seeing more of her at some point

mrs_algaliarept
05-Jul-08, 08:46
Johnny Vegas....

hahahaha that would be funny trying to see him run all over the place

As I have said before never seen the old ones except for the very first episode am dying to see the second lol. Have seen the film dont can't quite remember who the actor was but he was very good but I have to say that david tennant Is the best, hes hot hes funny and hes just altogether brilliant and will be very hard to replace lol. I liked christopher eccleston I thought he was a wonderful docter he had a really nice smile he Is also a very good actor In other things have been seeing him crop up In a lot of old and new films

scotsboy
05-Jul-08, 10:11
David Tennant is a sycophantic luvvie, with no respect for his forebears. I refuse to watch anything with the slimy toerag in it.

wifie
05-Jul-08, 10:29
May have to change my mind on Chris Eccleston here - will perhaps dig up some dvds of his series. I have to say I liked him in Cracker, oh and Shallow Grave - hmmmm it was Our Friends In The North that put me off him. Yep needing a re-think here methinks! Willing to give it a try catnip if you thought he was Tom Baker like. I wouldn't want a female Doctor - there are some things that should not be tampered with. His daughter is not a timelord is she - but she deffo sounds like a spin off series - LOL!

mrs_algaliarept
05-Jul-08, 10:50
May have to change my mind on Chris Eccleston here - will perhaps dig up some dvds of his series. I have to say I liked him in Cracker, oh and Shallow Grave - hmmmm it was Our Friends In The North that put me off him. Yep needing a re-think here methinks! Willing to give it a try catnip if you thought he was Tom Baker like. I wouldn't want a female Doctor - there are some things that should not be tampered with. His daughter is not a timelord is she - but she deffo sounds like a spin off series - LOL!

He was good in heroes and I have a video of him here called let him have it not watched all of it but looks good he was also good in that newish film the dark is rising shallow grave was a really good film not watched it in a while tho didnt realise he was in it.

yes i think she was at the end of the episode she died and then came back to life you know when david tennant came on for the first time christmas episode that energy stuff kept coming out of his mouth can't remember what it was called but at the end of the episode she was doing that too so she must be atleast part time lord. God i hope not some spin offs are good but I don't see that one working

joxville
05-Jul-08, 11:04
hmmmm it was Our Friends In The North that put me off him.
I wouldn't want a female Doctor - there are some things that should not be tampered with.

I have to disagree with you wifie, I thought Eccleston was good in O.F.I.T.N. but I didn't think he suited the Dr. Who part. My choice for the Doctor would be Eccleston's co-star from Our Friend's, Mark Strong. He can be quite a gritty actor, which I think the part sometimes calls for-none of that bouncy,flouncy,sugar-coated luvviness that we get from Tennent.
Here is Mark Strong being interviewed by Jonathon Ross: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=imSVRCzlZBk

If we had to have a woman Doctor then I would like to see Joanne Whalley in the role.

mrs_algaliarept
05-Jul-08, 11:15
I would hardly call it that david tennant does as you say has a bouncy,flouncy,sugar-coated luvviness but he also does a lot of serious stuff in dr who and does it well he is very good at being lovely and serious which is exactly the type of actor dr who needs to be because he has to have his soft side aswell as his timelord solving the problem saving the world seriousness if that makes sense lol im a bit tired so mite not lol but makes sense to me

tigger2u
05-Jul-08, 13:53
only a matter of hours to go now whooooo hooooooooooo :lol:

mrs_algaliarept
05-Jul-08, 14:25
I know I'm soooooo excited can't wait

joxville
05-Jul-08, 16:04
I'd pull my hair out if I had any.[lol]

silverfox57
05-Jul-08, 18:40
we will all know who is Dr who .in 5 minutes the the debate can start again

wifie
05-Jul-08, 20:02
Dr Who needs wit first and foremost and sorry DT rules in my book - LOL!
Well chaps was that not a good episode and a wee bit snow in the clip for Christmas - woohoo!

golach
05-Jul-08, 20:06
Dr Who needs wit first and foremost and sorry DT rules in my book - LOL!
Well chaps was that not a good episode and a wee bit snow in the clip for Christmas - woohoo!
Who is the new Doc????

percy toboggan
05-Jul-08, 20:09
Towards the end when that lass with big teeth asked 'what's going on' I knew how she felt...utterly confused.

Emperor's New Clothes but I can see the appeal.
Incidentally if yer an ethnic actor or extra then Cardiff's definitely the place to be.
The Beeb fall over themselves to be 'inclusive' and 'representative'...They do this all the time now except when filming prison drama. Rampant tokenism gone rampant (sorry, couldn't think of a more suitable adjective)

No room for middle age British males though anywhere in this latterday Doctor Who...Bernard Cribbins was the nearest we got. It's all so funny, you couldn't make it up...or maybe I could.

silverfox57
05-Jul-08, 20:11
first class end, shame about donna oh and myself debating who was leaving.she played her part very well,

wifie
05-Jul-08, 20:14
Golach - it is still DT for a bit yet!!! :D

golach
05-Jul-08, 20:15
Golach - it is still DT for a bit yet!!! :D
Cheeze 47 posts on the Org, 'an it no fixed yet!!!!! :)

silverfox57
05-Jul-08, 20:16
:lol:
Towards the end when that lass with big teeth asked 'what's going on' I knew how she felt...utterly confused.

Emperor's New Clothes but I can see the appeal.
Incidentally if yer an ethnic actor or extra then Cardiff's definitely the place to be.
The Beeb fall over themselves to be 'inclusive' and 'representative'...They do this all the time now except when filming prison drama. Rampant tokenism gone rampant (sorry, couldn't think of a more suitable adjective)

No room for middle age British males though anywhere in this latterday Doctor Who...Bernard Cribbins was the nearest we got. It's all so funny, you couldn't make it up...or maybe I could.
percy think you should post to points of view on BBC to get response

bekisman
05-Jul-08, 20:44
For those who are still confused:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7490613.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7490613.stm)

By the way what age group are targeted for this show?

scorrie
05-Jul-08, 21:34
After all the hype, I considered it to be a convoluted cop-out in the end. Much ado about nothing. I have rarely watched Doctor Who in recent times and based on tonight's episode I won't be back for a while.

ps It used to be that all you had to do to escape the Daleks was run upstairs and shout Milk, Lemonade, Chocolate down at them with their wheels stuck under the bottom step. Now they can fly, but for all that they are still armed with an Egg-Beater on one side. Pretty scare eh?

"Here Doctor, freeze and put your hands up, or I'll whisk ye til within an inch of your life!!"

tigger2u
05-Jul-08, 22:14
Well, I thought it was excellent, drama, humour twists and yes confusion. Who really wants to know excatlly whats going to happen before it does, the guessing is part of the enjoyment. It all came good at the end though. :D

wifie
05-Jul-08, 22:39
No it didn't the Dr is lonely - all alone in the Tardis! OK ladies form an orderly queue - I am first! :)

TBH
05-Jul-08, 22:46
I think they should get Chris Evans as the next Dr. How would Billie handle that I wonder?

Anne x
05-Jul-08, 22:55
I think they should get Chris Evans as the next Dr. How would Billie handle that I wonder?

Very well as they are good pals !!! D T best ever after Tom Baker

tigger2u
05-Jul-08, 22:57
But how good was it to see K9 in again :D

TBH
05-Jul-08, 22:59
Very well as they are good pals !!! D T best ever after Tom BakerGlad that they are still friends although I would say she was too young, good looking for the ginger minger. Tom Baker was the Scariest Doc ever in my humble opinion and most certainly the best. He was brillient in the days of limited budgets and shaky sets, how good would he have been with todays budgets.

Anne x
05-Jul-08, 23:07
Glad that they are still friends although I would say she was too young, good looking for the ginger minger. Tom Baker was the Scariest Doc ever in my humble opinion and most certainly the best. He was brillient in the days of limited budgets and shaky sets, how good would he have been with todays budgets.

Brilliant !!! had the pleasure to greet him once although in a very roundabout way he was working at Eden Court Inverness and was outside doing a photoshoot for something or other he was waving and I was delivering tickets to the theatre to be picked up later
I thought I recognise that person waving at me DOH !!! HE WASNT I waved back and got a lovely smile it wasnt until I saw Grampian News that night it dawned on me :~(

percy toboggan
05-Jul-08, 23:10
:lol:
percy think you should post to points of view on BBC to get response

I think I'd be floggin' a dead horse with the Beeb.
A charger.;)

Incidentally when the Piper lass grabbed that Doctor No.2 to snog him I feared for his safety.

wifie
05-Jul-08, 23:11
LOL anne - I saw him in Bruar - I was thrilled - very imposing personality even when just payin for his fish and chips!
Yeah Tigger - I was delighted to see K9 too - he helped save the day!

TBH
05-Jul-08, 23:28
Brilliant !!! had the pleasure to greet him once although in a very roundabout way he was working at Eden Court Inverness and was outside doing a photoshoot for something or other he was waving and I was delivering tickets to the theatre to be picked up later
I thought I recognise that person waving at me DOH !!! HE WASNT I waved back and got a lovely smile it wasnt until I saw Grampian News that night it dawned on me :~(

LOL anne - I saw him in Bruar - I was thrilled - very imposing personality even when just payin for his fish and chips!
Yeah Tigger - I was delighted to see K9 too - he helped save the day!I have heard that he is a very imposing figure, well over six foot and built like a brick outhouse?

wifie
05-Jul-08, 23:29
Aye TBH - and did I mention his booming voice - cor!
Starstruck? Who me?

TBH
05-Jul-08, 23:34
Aye TBH - and did I mention his booming voice - cor!
Starstruck? Who me?Now you are telling us you are a Tom Baker Groupie.:D
Saying that though, DT is an elton john character compared to baker.[lol]

Anne x
06-Jul-08, 01:50
I only noticed the Scarf ;) I right !!!

neepnipper
06-Jul-08, 07:49
I worked for Monarch of the Glen when Tom Baker was in it, he was a bit of a luvvie, I remember him striding across the courtyard and in his booming voice shouting 'I want to see the director, I'm not happy with the script!' and once he said he didn't know there had been any more Doctors after him, a bit pretentious!

Still think he was a very good Doctor, though!

mccaugm
06-Jul-08, 10:37
No it didn't the Dr is lonely - all alone in the Tardis! OK ladies form an orderly queue - I am first! :)

Get thee behind me...Love Tennants cuteness, quirkiness, think he is brilliant

wifie
06-Jul-08, 10:45
LOL mccaugm! You callin me [evil]! Har Har
Good story neepnipper - I still think he was impressive but then I did not work with him!