PDA

View Full Version : Bottled water & the environment

joxville
28-Jun-08, 01:14
The latest report about bottled water claims it is "a triumph of marketing over common sense" because it is said to be no better than tap water. The benefits of drinking water are well known but the report is trying to highlight the damage to the environment caused by the manufacture and transportation of bottled water.

http://environment.uk.msn.com/green-living/article.aspx?cp-documentid=8691948

Most of Scotland and the parts of England that don't have limescale in the water get a decent supply that can be drunk stright from the tap, whereas other areas have to use water filters. However, given that we hear so often of the drinking supply being contaminated is it any wonder that more water than ever is being sold in shops.

If the government wants to encourage people to drink more tap water then isn't it about time they forced water authorities to improve the supply, or even attach quota's to the companies that supply shops, in the same way they have done to the fishing industry.

Lady In Bed
28-Jun-08, 07:52
Until they added chemicals to our supply, the water was good. Now, its like drinking toothpaste at times. Until the water authorities accept that the amount of chemicals they are adding to our supply is at times overbearing, then the bottles will flow faster than the tap.[disgust]

Cattach
28-Jun-08, 07:53
The latest report about bottled water claims it is "a triumph of marketing over common sense" because it is said to be no better than tap water. The benefits of drinking water are well known but the report is trying to highlight the damage to the environment caused by the manufacture and transportation of bottled water.

http://environment.uk.msn.com/green-living/article.aspx?cp-documentid=8691948

Most of Scotland and the parts of England that don't have limescale in the water get a decent supply that can be drunk stright from the tap, whereas other areas have to use water filters. However, given that we hear so often of the drinking supply being contaminated is it any wonder that more water than ever is being sold in shops.

If the government wants to encourage people to drink tap water more then isn't it about time they forced water authorities to improve the supply, or even attach quota's to the companies that supply shops, in the same way they have done to the fishing industry.

Bottled water is a rip off. I have tried it and find the taste insipped and the benefits non-existent.

oldmarine
28-Jun-08, 09:40
Why buy bottled water when it is cheaper and better from the tap?

joxville
28-Jun-08, 09:41
I've bought bottled water and found no real difference between it and tap water. Here in Hampshire the only difference I've found is having to use a water filter to remove the limescale before boiling it, although other area's of England I've visited the water has been so disgusting that it's not hard to see why bottled water sell's in large amounts.

What is really annoying is having to pay the water suppliers for a sub-standard service. All water should be fit to drink straight from the tap, all over the country-they get enough money from us so it's time they spent it on improvement's.

oldmarine
28-Jun-08, 10:16
I've bought bottled water and found no real difference between it and tap water. Here in Hampshire the only difference I've found is having to use a water filter to remove the limescale before boiling it, although other area's of England I've visited the water has been so disgusting that it's not hard to see why bottled water sell's in large amounts.

What is really annoying is having to pay the water suppliers for a sub-standard service. All water should be fit to drink straight from the tap, all over the country-they get enough money from us so it's time they spent it on improvement's.

Must be the reason that many buy bottled water.:roll::lol:

pat
28-Jun-08, 11:30
I use a filter jug all the time for all my water - even if I am boiling it, it helps to remove the horrid chemical bleachy smells and other stuff used to purify our household supplies these days. Keep saying I am going to get one of those filters fitted to the house water supply.

Bottled water is just a rip off - but admittedly have bought some when in an area I do not like the tap water.

In restaurants etc I always ask for a glass of tap water - many places have refused to serve their water and add that it has not been passed as fit to drink!!! I usually just say thank you but I will not be eating here and walk out - even if I have booked a table, advising them if their water is not safe to drink how do they wash their salad!

Many places have recently changed and are only too happy to give you a glass of their tap water - since this thing about tap water being just as good if not better than bottled - amazing what a little bit of hype does.

Fresh filtered everytime for me.

Margaret M.
28-Jun-08, 14:23
It is pretty sad that water companies' cannot provide safe, decent tasting drinking water. Water in Caithness used to taste lovely but not in the past few years. Maybe the water is so polluted and the amount of chemicals required to treat it so great that good tasting water may be a thing of the past.

Margaret M.
28-Jun-08, 14:29
Some of the water here in the U.S. also tastes pretty bad but it is fairly decent where I am. I did a comparison test between tap and bottled water and the tap water proved to be of better quality. I have a whole house filter system to strip away chlorine and other undesirables but the test was done prior to that.

cuddlepop
28-Jun-08, 14:35
Our water on Skye is awfull even the dogs refuse to drink the tap water.we've got various containers in the garden to collect the rain water and at every opportunity the dogs will go there first.
When it hadnt rained over here for weeks we had to fill the dishes up with the filtered water from our jug.They just refused otherwise to drink.

A water filter costs us £4 a month and I refuse to drink water from the tap its so disgusting,so its money well spent.

I've even noticed two of my houseplants have died recently.
Someone's not been using the filtered water .:(