PDA

View Full Version : Virus

tillygirl
05-Dec-05, 20:16
Have any of you out there been affected by the virus that's going around? Apparently at Thurso High 300 pupils were off today with it.

Penny
05-Dec-05, 20:31
I haven't been directly affected but I've had my granddaughter with me for the last week - very poorly with it and she's still not better. She had a very high temperature, an awful sore throat and her mouth was infected too she was given an antibiotic on Friday - not ideal I know but in this case an absolute necessity.
I heard about Thurso High - nearly 350 off today!!!
:(

dragonfly
05-Dec-05, 20:42
what are the symptoms? my daughter was off colour today and off school so wondering if this is what she has & yes, she is Thurso High

angela5
05-Dec-05, 22:46
what are the symptoms? my daughter was off colour today and off school so wondering if this is what she has & yes, she is Thurso High

I was ill myself 2 weeks ago with a very sore throat i got antibiotics from the doctor, had an awful fever to, my body was burning but yet i was freezing to the point i could not stop my teeth chattering.

Naefearjustbeer
05-Dec-05, 22:56
Mebee it is bird flu that has hit thurso:confused:

unicorn
06-Dec-05, 10:16
I think this is a useful thread and would be interested to know the exact symptoms and roughly how long this is lasting and whether it is one you just get over or if it needs the Doctor as having small children it always helps to be forewarned as they cannot tell you how they feel so its good to be able to watch out for it.

Penny
06-Dec-05, 12:10
I think this is a useful thread and would be interested to know the exact symptoms and roughly how long this is lasting and whether it is one you just get over or if it needs the Doctor as having small children it always helps to be forewarned as they cannot tell you how they feel so its good to be able to watch out for it.

Well Unicorn from my experience the symptoms are as in my first post. My granddaughter started with a very bad headache a week ago last Sunday but worst symptom by far was the severe sore throat which developed as day or two later and of course a very high temperature. The length of time that this virus is taking to clear up is akin to full blown 'flu – not very nice……………..
I agree that this could a most helpful thread – and was concerned when it deteriorated into something completely unrelated again. This seems to happen all of the time.

Penny

unicorn
06-Dec-05, 13:10
Thanks for that Penny. I will make sure I am well stocked up with calpol, ice crem and cool gel packs in the fridge just in case!! I really do think we need a really good spell of hard frost to kill off all these things that are lingering around.

kas
06-Dec-05, 22:35
A friend of mine spoke to a teacher and it started at about 350 in the morning, and by the end of the day was nearer 400. Due to children being sent home from school. My other halfs son had one class to day with only 10 pupils in it and said 15 were off sick from his registration class.

Must admit I thought this was a bit of an exaggeration when I first heard.
I also heard (but dont know how truw it is) that if more than a third of the teachers are sick, then they close the school.

fed-ex
06-Dec-05, 22:41
A friend of mine spoke to a teacher and it started at about 350 in the morning, and by the end of the day was nearer 400. Due to children being sent home from school. My other halfs son had one class to day with only 10 pupils in it and said 15 were off sick from his registration class.

Must admit I thought this was a bit of an exaggeration when I first heard.
I also heard (but dont know how truw it is) that if more than a third of the teachers are sick, then they close the school.Lets hope it spreadt to the teachers pretty soon then

daviddd
06-Dec-05, 22:57
Thanks for that Penny. I will make sure I am well stocked up with calpol, ice crem and cool gel packs in the fridge just in case!! I really do think we need a really good spell of hard frost to kill off all these things that are lingering around.
With respect, I'm not sure that a hard frost will kill off bugs that live in the body at 34 degrees C?

Saveman
06-Dec-05, 23:08
With respect, I'm not sure that a hard frost will kill off bugs that live in the body at 34 degrees C?

I think you mean 37°C

:)

unicorn
07-Dec-05, 10:08
well yeah I guess thats true but it is just another old wives tale I suppose, I dont remember sicknesses hanging around so bad when the winters were harder though and my grandparents and others who knew better than me :)swore by a hard winter to get rid of all the lingering illnesses.

girnigoe
07-Dec-05, 10:18
According to the Courier today Wick High seems to be involved as well. I wonder if it is the same bug as Thurso or something different??

unicorn
07-Dec-05, 10:22
so it may well be a miserable festive season for many yeauch!!! There seem to be so many flu's and viruses going around just now it is impossible to miss them. (unless we stay in and decontaminate the kids when they get home from school) lol :)

moose and Lindsay
09-Dec-05, 13:11
I have it today

Really sick feeling, dizzy, sore head and shaking

I feel rotten, it is terrible, never had anything like it before

I'm off to bed for the rest of the day

C U all tomorrow

Lindsay

unicorn
09-Dec-05, 14:14
get well soon.... but keep it please lol

Dons_Lad
09-Dec-05, 14:24
My thoughts exactly, it's never nice getting ill this time of year, especially so close to Christmas.

macc
09-Dec-05, 15:03
My son has had it for the last few days. Started with a throbing headache, sore throat, shivers and nausea then sickness. The sickness is quite violent it just comes on them and he was continually sick for the whole day. He has been very sleepy also. He is up and about today but completely drained and still got this awful headache. I am just hoping it doesn't spread through the others, its a miserable nasty bug. Poor kids