PDA

View Full Version : ICT Youth Challenge 2008 Final : Wick High Finalists

rob murray
27-Jun-08, 17:15
The ICT Youth Challenge Final was held all week at Fairburn Activity Centre Ross shire. Out of 146 original entries, the final focused on the 6 teams who have progressed through previous rounds : Nairn, Wick, Fortrose *2, Keith and Lochaber.

Delighted to announce that Team Minitek from Wick High won the BT prize category, Lochaber High won the Microsoft prize and the overall winners were Nairn. The Wick team excelled and were a credit to themselves...a big well done guys !!

footie chick
27-Jun-08, 17:37
Congratulations

scorpion
27-Jun-08, 17:43
They are a team from Wick High and how much help did they get from Wick High ?

weeboyagee
27-Jun-08, 17:44
You beat me to it! Alice In Blunderland has been on the phone - she is down there with them and quite ecstatic about it - and quite right too. They are off to BT Astral World in Surrey as their prize - well done - we are all very proud of you!

WBG :cool:

weeboyagee
27-Jun-08, 17:45
They are a team from Wick High and how much help did they get from Wick High ?
None that I know of - attended a meeting with them at a house with one of their parents and I believe this was the support that they got - none from the High School that I am aware of - methinks the answer was hidden in your question though! ;)

Never mind - they did this on their own merit and the entire praise goes to them and the folks that helped them get there!

Alice in Blunderland
28-Jun-08, 10:59
Didnt they do well !!!!! They are home triumphant and exhausted.

This is the furthest ANY team from this area has ever gone and the prizes were amazing in fact the whole event was amazing. I can recommend kids to apply this August for next years event.

Yes they were entered from Wick High and Yes as previously hinted they did not recieve support from the school.

Heartfelt thanks to Alan Sinclair their mentor who was there for them the whole week and backed the kids through this whole event along with their parents.

What I feel is wrong was had these kids been problem children from bad backgroumds and in need of support from the school or the system by god they would have had everything thrown at them ............. but they arent they were hard working dedicated individuals who wanted to achieve something.

They will get their name in the papers for all the good reasons and how much help and support and words of encouragement did they get ..............

well Ill leave that to all who read this to make up there own minds.

These kids sat in the hall amongst children from other schools who had teachers around them and support thrown at them from their respective schools and all I can say it made me prouder to see how well they had done despite having none of the support their competitors had.
Fortrose Academy entered two strong teams with full backing from the school and all help available but it goes to show that even without the major help they managed to make it they came in ahead of both teams.

Alan you did them proud.:) Kids you did yourselves proud and your school.

Mr Traill you missed an excellent event in which pupils from Wick High did you proud...no doubt you were off down the street rounding up truants or chasing them in on time such a pity you missed out on these kids putting Wick Highs name right up there with the best from the other counties.

Okay rant over from one proud non biased mum.:lol:

Alice in Blunderland
28-Jun-08, 16:45
Goodness rob the kids have just told me you are the dancer from one of the adverts they made.................. nice moves :lol: ;)

webmannie
28-Jun-08, 18:23
Goodness rob the kids have just told me you are the dancer from one of the adverts they made.................. nice moves

That is a sight I must see, Rob the 'dandy dancer'. I'd pay to see the 'dandy dancer' and the 'baldy dancer' on stage together. :eek::grin::lol:

Margaret M.
28-Jun-08, 18:36
A HUGE congratulations to everyone on the team, their parents and Mr. Sinclair. The team's participation and win will reflect very favourably on Wick High School so shame on them for their lack of support!

Alice in Blunderland
28-Jun-08, 18:46
That is a sight I must see, Rob the 'dandy dancer'. I'd pay to see the 'dandy dancer' and the 'baldy dancer' on stage together.

I can assure you his moves were just brilliant ...fair took my breath away and with the lighting adjusted just right..... mercy James Bond didnt have a look in eh rob ;)

Maybe they will release a copy of the advert and then we can all have a looky.

Yes Margaret the lack of support was a shame. Just because kids are doing well it doesnt mean that they should be left to it they need encouragement just as everyone else does and a word of praise goes a long way.
All too often its negative comments we hear directed to the youth of today.

cuddlepop
28-Jun-08, 19:04
well done the pupils of Wick high school you deserve to hold your heads up high,what an achievment.

Shame on the Head teacher and a word in your ear

"Dont you dare try to take any credit for this achievment as you deserve none,these kids done it for themselves."

alice,yours spot on as if these kids had been ASDAN kids aka at risk of exclusion because of behaviour they'd have been "drowning " in support and money.[disgust]

Alice in Blunderland
28-Jun-08, 19:42
alice,yours spot on as if these kids had been ASDAN kids aka at risk of exclusion because of behaviour they'd have been "drowning " in support and money.[disgust]

Yes CP Im afraid this is all too often true now.

Extra support and resources if you are a special case......... keep on going nice boys and girls if not. It all seems to be so wrong the kids who are going through the education system in this day working hard keeping their heads down and achieving decent grades what do they get................:(............a sense of achievemnent I know.

Less attention resources and at times notice when needed .

footie chick
28-Jun-08, 19:54
Well done to the KIDS/parents/helpers for their achievement without the proper backing of WHS what is your problem????
Don't they want WHS to be seen in a good light for achieveing so much when all around them is falling down??

Gneiss
29-Jun-08, 11:05
I had the great privilege to act as Mentor over the past seven months to the Mini-Tek team from the Wick area. (Adam Risbridger, Laura Oag, Calum Risbridger and Alan Sinclair)
It was a great eye-opener for me to see such commitment and vision from four mature young adults aged 17 to 20 representing Caithness in a competition that has never seen entries from our area getting past the forum stage.
Out of the 146 entries from the Highlands,Islands,Moray and Argyll they were first whittled down to 36 , then following regional video presentations , whittled down to 16. The Forum stage was held in Strathpeffer in April and 16 teams presented to the Judges for 6 places in the final.
The final was held in the Fairburn Activity center in Ross-Shire last week. Five teams were accompanied by their teachers and in Wick's case, myself (Mentor /Parent) for a week of intense judging sessions from 10 judges drawn from UK wide businesses.
This intense activity was countered by the evening activities laid on for them at the center. Paintballing, Rope Slides, Archery, Orienteering and filming a 30 second advert for their product, using a professional camera team.
As Friday approached all the teams were putting the finishing touches to their final PowerPoint presentations. Feedback from the judges was that this years 6 finalists were the strongest since the competition began and seeing all the presentations, the standards were very high.
It was an other eye-opener for me as a parent to see the commitment that Lochaber, Fortrose, Nairn and Keith schools had put into the competition. It was very interesting talking to the teachers over the week, they were all totally committed to their teams and were there throughout the last seven months assisting them and mentoring them using the resources and support of their respective School's. All the more poignant that the team from Wick (with only very minimal support from Wick High) managed to win the BT prize for the best use of Communications. Of all the six teams, their final presentation was awesome, they were very confident and were the only team not using hand held notes.
The large contingent from Wick that went down (in Mini-Tek T-Shirts) to support them at the final presentation was really encouraging. It was such a great pity that no one representing Wick High School saw fit to come down for the final presentation.
Nairn took the overall prize for the best Innovative Idea. Wick won the prize for the best use of Communications and Lochaber for the best commercial idea.
They now win a trip to the BT Development center in Ipswich , where they will present their idea to the Futurologist Team and obtain assistance to take the idea further. Mini-Tek have already taken steps to protect their idea and intend with the assistance of HIE and the competition organisers to attract funding to make a working prototype. This they hope will enable them to target their invention to investors to get it manufactured under license.
So, winning this, is just the start of a long process.

Well Done , Adam, Alan, Laura and Calum, it has been a long slog over the past months but this is recognition that you as a team have what it takes, despite the odds.

It has been a privilege for me to work with you as your Team Mentor.

Alan Sinclair

weeboyagee
29-Jun-08, 13:06
Well Done , Adam, Alan, Laura and Calum, it has been a long slog over the past months but this is recognition that you as a team have what it takes, despite the odds
Well done Alan - the meeting I was at with you guys really impressed me and the level of intuition, initiative and decision making by the young members of the team will stand them in good stead for the future. Good luck with whatever the future brings them and well done once again Alan - I am sure that you have taken a lot of job satisfaction out of the result and you should take as much of the praise as is heaped upon you.

Next,..... I would be grateful to find out what the High Schools official response to this will be in the future - who will be requesting it?

webmannie
29-Jun-08, 15:29
Well done Mini-Tek team. I wish you good luck with your idea and hope that you can build on this success and grow a sustainable and profitable business. Small acorns grow into big trees!

Alan, I have known you a long time and I know you will find this uncomfortable. I wish to congratulate you on your success on 'bringing on' these potential businessmen. Well done!

I do hope that you continue to mentor the team as they progress their idea. I also hope that Ali and Rob 'tap' into your mentoring skills to benefit others in the future. Mentoring is an excellent way to 'give something back' and I do hope that other businessmen take a step into the world of mentoring as it is so gratifying to see a mentee develop.

You have all shown that entrepreneurship is alive and well within the county. If we are to stem the flow of young people out of the county we are going to need all those 'bright ideas' to transform into profitable businesses employing many.

webmannie
29-Jun-08, 15:38
I too would also be interested in an official response from our Education Culture and Sport Chairman AND the Rector of Wick High School.

At least a statement of intent to find out why no support was given?

Alice in Blunderland
29-Jun-08, 15:40
Well done Mini-Tek team. I wish you good luck with your idea and hope that you can build on this success and grow a sustainable and profitable business. Small acorns grow into big trees!

Alan, I have known you a long time and I know you will find this uncomfortable. I wish to congratulate you on your success on 'bringing on' these potential businessmen. Well done!

I do hope that you continue to mentor the team as they progress their idea. I also hope that Ali and Rob 'tap' into your mentoring skills to benefit others in the future. Mentoring is an excellent way to 'give something back' and I do hope that other businessmen take a step into the world of mentoring as it is so gratifying to see a mentee develop.

You have all shown that entrepreneurship is alive and well within the county. If we are to stem the flow of young people out of the county we are going to need all those 'bright ideas' to transform into profitable businesses employing many.

Well said I can just see Alan squirming now. He was an excellent mentor allowed the kids to develop themselves.:D

rob murray
30-Jun-08, 09:12
Goodness rob the kids have just told me you are the dancer from one of the adverts they made.................. nice moves :lol: ;)

....Well they asked me to appear in the advert but I didnt know they wanted me to dance until the very last minute...lets just say that it was an experience lol lol lol. Seriously though, our company hold the contract to deliver the Challenge and we work with 2 other companies over a 10 month period...this is a brilliant event to be involved in as the vast majority of kids are really very committed and extremly switched on. As an ex Wick High student I was very proud of Minitek !! ( lump in throat !! )

Sapphire2803
30-Jun-08, 13:40
I too would also be interested in an official response from our Education Culture and Sport Chairman AND the Rector of Wick High School.

At least a statement of intent to find out why no support was given?

Just promise you won't hold your breath. Please? ;)

Alice in Blunderland
30-Jun-08, 14:16
....Well they asked me to appear in the advert but I didnt know they wanted me to dance until the very last minute...lets just say that it was an experience lol lol lol. Seriously though, our company hold the contract to deliver the Challenge and we work with 2 other companies over a 10 month period...this is a brilliant event to be involved in as the vast majority of kids are really very committed and extremly switched on. As an ex Wick High student I was very proud of Minitek !! ( lump in throat !! )

I for one would like to commend all parties involved for hosting such a brilliant event. This gives the youngsters an oppurtunity to excell themselves.

It was a very positive experience I am sure for all the kids involved and every one of them a winner for just taking part.

The commitment and support from all the adults around them was very noticeable to an outsider like myself who just managed down on the final day.

Its good to see these events for the kids and a very positive feelgood experience for all involved. I for one could have peeped :eek: as all kids recieved their awards not only Team Minitek Wick :D

Long may this continue.

sweetpea
30-Jun-08, 14:27
I'd like to say congratualtions as well and hope you all enjoy your prize.

The only thing I didn't like to hear were the comments about the school. Yes I agree there are a lot of kids who get a hell of a lot of money, support and attention thrown at them for very little in return and it must be the most unrewarding job some people have but there is another side to this. The quiet, dissafected young people who stay at home because they are young carers, have mental illnesses, chaotic family lives and countless other problems - who is helping them?
Lets sort out exactly who we mean here. Who do you all mean by the ones that get every bit of support directed to them? What type of child? What are the issues?

Alice in Blunderland
30-Jun-08, 15:00
I'd like to say congratualtions as well and hope you all enjoy your prize.

Lets sort out exactly who we mean here. Who do you all mean by the ones that get every bit of support directed to them? What type of child? What are the issues?

For me personaly I have to say its the money time and resources spent keeping kids in school that dont want to be there.

The point I am trying to make is that all the other kids had school representatives with them, school resources and help made available to them, and teachers in the various fields of expertise giving input to them , the kids from Wick High didnt.

I in no terms am directing my comments to the groups you are now bringing into the equation.:)

sweetpea
30-Jun-08, 15:11
For me personaly I have to say its the money time and resources spent keeping kids in school that dont want to be there.

The point I am trying to make is that all the other kids had school representatives with them, school resources and help made available to them, and teachers in the various fields of expertise giving input to them , the kids from Wick High didnt.

I in no terms am directing my comments to the groups you are now bringing into the equation.:)

I'm not being funny Alice, this sort of thing really troubles me too. I totally agree the kids in the team should have had support but by the sounds of it they had the best of expertise anyway and are more than capable of organising themselves into a winning team. What my question is who or what is it that all the resources are being directed at? What took away from the ICT challenge?

cuddlepop
30-Jun-08, 15:41
I think you'll find sweetpea that there's very little money in the school budget for extras like this but if the kids where inappropriatly behaved someone somewhere could have found money from a budget.

Its a disgrace that unless your child is misbehaving they wont get any extras.[evil]

sweetpea
30-Jun-08, 15:53
I think you'll find sweetpea that there's very little money in the school budget for extras like this but if the kids where inappropriatly behaved someone somewhere could have found money from a budget.

Its a disgrace that unless your child is misbehaving they wont get any extras.[evil]

So it's bad behaviour we are talking about. Is it delibearte behaviour or realated to a condition. Do you mean that the school has budgets for dealing with this kind of thing?

cuddlepop
30-Jun-08, 17:11
I our school if you are for ever being caught dogging school they put you on a special programe.

This entitles you to go sailing,hill walking, do a bit of Duke of Edinburgh and or John Muir inititives.work outdoors with the HC counrtyside Ranger,Canoeing etc.

now in all seriousness would you be a good boy or girl and go to school as expected.:confused

rob murray
30-Jun-08, 17:15
Watch out for the Daily Mail tomorrow....they are apparently running a story on the ICT Youth Challenge 2008 !!!

Alice in Blunderland
30-Jun-08, 17:16
Watch out for the Daily Mail tomorrow....they are apparently running a story on the ICT Youth Challenge 2008 !!!

Thanks for that ;)

Oddquine
30-Jun-08, 19:54
I our school if you are for ever being caught dogging school they put you on a special programe.

This entitles you to go sailing,hill walking, do a bit of Duke of Edinburgh and or John Muir inititives.work outdoors with the HC counrtyside Ranger,Canoeing etc.

now in all seriousness would you be a good boy or girl and go to school as expected.:confused

No chance of that............why be good and get no treats?

Do they expect a special programme will make the miscreants behave and go back into mainstream schooling..........where they don't get the treats?

And pigs might fly! :roll:

wee sparkle
30-Jun-08, 19:57
Woohoo! We made the big paper! Thanks Rob :)

wee sparkle
30-Jun-08, 20:15
It seriously puts a downer on everyone else in the school when you realise that other pupils are getting days out, trips to local places, the chance to do things that any of us well behaved kids would love to do. I had one boy in my class who was in either the Duke of Edinburgh or the Princes Trust (cant remember which, same idea though) and he got to spend a week at the local fire brigade to learn all about the fire engines, how the equipment worked and they got talks from senior fire chiefs. And to top it all off they all recieved an award for completing the weeks activities.

Me thinks tis a bit unfair! We behave do as we are told and work hard what reward do we get. Iknow I know I am satisfied when my grades come in then I return to school and get the same smart alecs passing the usual comments about my intelligence.

And then we had to go through the competition without the help or support of the school( when rob came to visit us as our expert advisor there wasnt even a room available for us and it was left to the very last minute before we were assigned to the careers library).

I should mention though that since the teachers' retirements, there has been a change in the relevant departments and one teacher has actually come up to me and asked about the competition as she is very very keen to encourage this sort of competition, and if any teams should enter next year, they will be fortunate enough to have the backing of some more than willing to help staff.

Alice in Blunderland
30-Jun-08, 20:39
Never mind the team have done well and set a high standard for future teams to go by.

Heres hoping that future entries from Wick do just as well..........:D

Its all up to the individual and what they want to achieve from life set your standards high and dont look around at what or what not others are receiving concentrate on doing the best you can for yourself.

Again well done kids ...............dare I ask are you entering again later in the year. :eek: Look out Alan you may have them to mentor all over again.

wee sparkle
30-Jun-08, 20:55
Oh i dont think well be entering again next year!:lol:

I think the plan now is to focus on impressing the BT "dragons" to see if we can get their help in funding our project and getting it onto the marketplace.

you never know, maybe in a few years time everyone will be wearing our ebelt! And all the orgers will be compairing their stats:p
:lol:

rob murray
01-Jul-08, 11:19
Heres a bit from a press release

"Topping the BT Scotland-sponsored category for the idea demonstrating the best use of communications, the Mini-Tek team from Wick won a visit to BT's Futurology Lab in Ispwich. While there they will be able to pitch their idea for a multimedia belt offering a range of innovative features to sports users to make their fitness activities more enjoyable to the "BT Dragons".
Robin Mannings, Research Foresight manager at BT, said: "The Standard of the young people's innovation rises each year and many of their technology and business ideas are as good as those I see coming from our own people. And it is pleasing to hear reports that some contestants from previous years' competitions have gone on to start their own businesses in the Highlands and Islands.
"Technology and business skills together in well motivated young people are a powerful economic force that will underpin the local economy and provide new ICT opportunities for the long-term future."

wee sparkle
01-Jul-08, 19:59
The team has created a bebo page which were going to update regularly, so if your interested its

www.bebo.com/Mini-Tek (http://www.bebo.com/Mini-Tek)

I will be double checking with the team members but i think we're going to upload the video of our hothouse experience (filmed by Alan senior) onto our bebo profile above, so keep an eye out, i will let you all know if we do upload it, and if we do your more than welcome to watch it........and laugh hard (i get soaked in it!!) :lol:

sweetpea
01-Jul-08, 23:24
It's amazing to hear what ambitions you all have and it's great that your story is on the front page as well. Forget small time go for it big style. If your product is worth a go someone will snap it up. The concepts of all the teams are great. :)

Alice in Blunderland
02-Jul-08, 13:08
Looking good in the courier today kids and Alan senior. I see rob got his photo in as well on another article didnt want to be left out now did you rob. :cool: