PDA

View Full Version : Driving and Mobiles

Kevin Milkins
27-Jun-08, 15:58
I see today that a man got sent to jail for causing a death while he was useing his mobile.

He was using a bluetooth hands free device and was not exceeding the speed limit.

I always now switch mine off or do not answear it while driving although that has not always been the case.

I still see lots of people using there phone while driving although police say figures have halved since the new law.

I wonder if this disaster will make people think about using there phone while driving ?

What do Orgers think and should phones be banned altogether while driving?

MadPict
27-Jun-08, 16:18
If the driver in this case was shown to caused death by dangerous driving then he has got what he deserved.

I don't believe that prosecutions for using a mobile while driving have dropped - local figures round me have shown them to have increased. And still I see drivers using phones while driving...

There is no doubt that talking on a mobile while driving causes distraction. But as this topic has been raised before here no doubt there will be the comments about 'banning people from talking to passengers while driving' or 'adjusting the volume of the in-car-entertainment system (radio to you and me)' or even 'turning the heating up/down'.

The days of driving on virtually deserted roads is behind us - the roads are more clogged up that ever before and driving requires pretty much 100% of you attention 100% of the time. Even carrying out the 7 second mirror check on a busy dual carriageway can result in you piling into the car in front if your gap isn't big enough. And if it is big enough some twit will no doubt take it as an opportunity to get ahead of the traffic by one or two cars.

I have BT in my car - I tend to turn my phone off because I forget to 'connect' it to the BT system and so it sits in my pocket bleeping for about ten minutes. So I have disabled the BT now. If someone wants to talk to me they can wait until I stop...

dandod
27-Jun-08, 16:20
it makes me really mad when you see people driving when using their mobiles. how many times do people need to be told. driving whilst using a mobile phone can cause accidents and deaths, simple as that.i think there should be tougher sentences for those caught, take their licenses away or even some hard jail time.

Kevin Milkins
27-Jun-08, 16:52
I think without a doubt everybody knows its naughty to use there phone while they are driving.
We can talk about tougher sentance and bang em up in jail ,but in reality that wont happen.
I think it might be a good idea to give police the power to take phones off people if they have been caught (chocolate handed.)
This I think would be a massive inconveinence to many who rely on phones for contacts etc ,and might even make them think twice about using them again.

MadPict
27-Jun-08, 17:13
We don't need any more people getting banged up - make it an instant ban, for maybe 6 months, and a hefty fine.
Then perhaps the drivers whose hectic lives dictate they use a phone will driving will think twice about doing so.
Hands free accessories are so cheap (in fact many phones have the ear piece/mic bundled with them now) that there is no excuse for someone to be driving whilst holding a phone.

sassylass
27-Jun-08, 17:15
It must be easier for those of us who grew up without these modern conveniences. We can enjoy the feeling of being disconnected with the world, actually relish the solitude.

tigger2u
27-Jun-08, 17:29
Maybe I'm too cynical but no matter the the danger or the punishment. There will always be the drivers out there that will say. " It'll never happen to me cause im an excellent driver" :roll: Those are the ones I think are dangerous.
I also still see way too many drivers still talking on their phones. I agree that instant fines/bans sound like they might help.

silverfox57
27-Jun-08, 17:35
well must say that a lot of drivers in wick use phone while driving,as see them while waiting for oh daily.

hotrod4
27-Jun-08, 18:01
Think its a bit much to fine someone for using bluetooth after all they are still focused on the road while driving. And go on admit it how many people sing along with the radio or even more dangerous talk to someone in the car isnt that worse?. Fining someone for using a noraml handset 100% right that is sooooo dangerous.Amazing how many people you see doing it going round a roundabout!!!!!

justine
27-Jun-08, 18:04
yeah ive noticed to that alot use their mobiles whilst driving through wick. I never use mine if driving atall, but i have noticed the worst offender so far is a postie, he drives his little red van whilst whisking around the streets, thats one accident waiting to happen.
As for he guy who just got done, Tough, abide by the law...

Kevin Milkins
27-Jun-08, 18:35
yeah ive noticed to that alot use their mobiles whilst driving through wick. I never use mine if driving atall, but i have noticed the worst offender so far is a postie, he drives his little red van whilst whisking around the streets, thats one accident waiting to happen.
As for he guy who just got done, Tough, abide by the law...

The guy that just got sent to prison for 4-1/2 years was abiding by the law.
He had a blue tooth in his ear and was within the speed limit.
He was going down a dual carrige way and a polish lorry driver stopped and so did the cars behind him.
The guy on the phone that had been having a conversation with his mother for 27 mins ploughed into the back of the stopped vehicles,killing one and seriously injured some others.
He had a full 17 seconds to react and did not touch his brake .
He was a profesional lorry driver of over 25 years.

ANNIE
27-Jun-08, 18:36
what about people who smoke and drive is this not as dangerous as using your mobile. What do u think?

justine
27-Jun-08, 19:51
He was going down a dual carrige way and a polish lorry driver stopped and so did the cars behind him.
The guy on the phone that had been having a conversation with his mother for 27 mins ploughed into the back of the stopped vehicles,killing one and seriously injured some others.

Maybe so, but it shows wether it be handsfree or not he was distracted from his driving causing the death. Same as smoking, putting on lipstick, doing work, and all the silly things that distract you from the road. I drive without radio or any distractions after being involved in a collision ( not my fault)..

Rie
27-Jun-08, 20:06
what about people who smoke and drive is this not as dangerous as using your mobile. What do u think?

What a fantastic point !!! i happen to think this is worse than driving whilst talking on the phone (using bluetooth) i dont smoke but remember many trps with my family who do and hot ash dropping on to the drivers lap!!! cant understand people who use phones whilst driving head sets are cheep and there is no excuse for not having one ,
i only used mine on long journeys and then most of the time i wont answer unless i can pull over .

gardeninginagale
27-Jun-08, 20:09
We have become far too specific in this nanny state, in trying to specify certain actions which are criminalised.

Whatever happened to "Driving without due care and attention"? Surely that covers mobiles, cigarettes, lipstick and all the rest. The ordinary bobby must be demented with all this minor legislation.

Let the Police have the discretion to decide "due care and attention".

MadPict
27-Jun-08, 20:16

Abiding by the law?
Driving an HGV and talking for 27 minutes to his mother?
Drove into the back of stationary traffic?
17 seconds to react but failed to?
Professional driver for 25 years?

He should have got more than 4½ years IMO.....

northener
27-Jun-08, 20:41

I think it would be better reported as "a man who paid no attention to what was happening around him was convicted today".

The fact that he was talking hands-free is almost coincedental in this case. If he hadn't been talking, he may just as well have been distracted by the radio or his own thoughts.

To somehow lay the blame squarely at the phone call is somewhat simplistic. there's plenty of people ram the back end of slower traffic on the M-ways and none of them are on the phone....

Fluff
27-Jun-08, 20:51
well I don't know about anyone else but I cannot watch a tv programe and have a conversation with someone either in the room or on the phone so I know I would not be able to do it whilst driving. These people may say 'it will never happen to me because I am a safe driver' yup I am sure you are, but what about the other driver on the road who is not as safe, phone user will be too distracted to do anything!

badger
27-Jun-08, 21:26
Cannot see the need ever to use a mobile while driving. If it rings you can pull over and return the call. If you need to phone you can pull over. There really shouldn't be any need to do anything other than concentrate on driving, especially these days with so many people driving at crazy speeds. Whatever happened to hands at ten to two?

Fran
28-Jun-08, 02:09
I firmly beleive all drivers should use two hands on the wheel when driving, for safety, especially up here. I am horrified at drivers of large articulated lorries flying round the bends up here with one hand on the phone. I see no decrease in the numbers of drivers doing this. I feel the police are not doing enough. I feel the rule should apply to no mobile phones, smoking, eating an apple or whatever, drinking from a can etc. while driving.

oldmarine
28-Jun-08, 10:02
I don't believe they have their minds on driving when talking on their mobiles.

Rheghead
28-Jun-08, 17:50
Dounreay workers get a month ban from their site if caught using a mobile at the wheel.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7276629.stm

dook
28-Jun-08, 19:13
Maybe so, but it shows wether it be handsfree or not he was distracted from his driving causing the death. Same as smoking, putting on lipstick, doing work, and all the silly things that distract you from the road. I drive without radio or any distractions after being involved in a collision ( not my fault)..

You missed out welding. The dark glasses and the gloves make it tricky to drive. I always have to pull over to weld.

balto
28-Jun-08, 19:20
well must say that a lot of drivers in wick use phone while driving,as see them while waiting for oh daily.
it really amazes me the amount of people i see driving while speaking on their mobile phones, people like that get what they deserve