PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering / Nelson Mandela's birthday

brokencross
27-Jun-08, 08:20
There is no doubting that Nelson Mandela is perceived as a great man and has achieved great things for South Africa in breaking down apartheid. (setting aside some of his methods prior to his spell on Robben island and also the state of "disrepair" that South Africa is in at the moment)

However, I am slightly bemused by the massive birthday celebrations in London as opposed to Capetown, Pretoria or elsewhere in South Africa. (maybe there will be more celebrations there and other world capital cities).

Just wondering though, why is he, and his 90th birthday, being lauded so much here in the UK. Is it just because London is "central" and will maximise the revenue for his charity 46664, or is it just an excuse so that the rich, famous and infamous can congregate, be associated with Mandela and then go on their self promoting, self satisfying luvviefest.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1029835/The-luvvies-big-night-The-stars-come-Nelsons-big-night.html

I am not deriding the man but do wonder about the continual "putting him on a pedestal" attitude by all and sundry.

Cattach
27-Jun-08, 08:37
There is no doubting that Nelson Mandela is perceived as a great man and has achieved great things for South Africa in breaking down apartheid. (setting aside some of his methods prior to his spell on Robben island and also the state of "disrepair" that South Africa is in at the moment)

However, I am slightly bemused by the massive birthday celebrations in London as opposed to Capetown, Pretoria or elsewhere in South Africa. (maybe there will be more celebrations there and other world capital cities).

Just wondering though, why is he, and his 90th birthday, being lauded so much here in the UK. Is it just because London is "central" and will maximise the revenue for his charity 46664, or is it just an excuse so that the rich, famous and infamous can congregate, be associated with Mandela and then go on their self promoting, self satisfying luvviefest.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1029835/The-luvvies-big-night-The-stars-come-Nelsons-big-night.html

I am not deriding the man but do wonder about the continual "putting him on a pedestal" attitude by all and sundry.

The asnwer is fairly simple regarding celebrations in South Africa. You may have seen a news report from SA after his London speech which indicated that he not now held in the regard he once was in SA. Apparently much in fighting in the party he once lead, the activities of Winnie, his divorce of her and his later marriage all appearing to cause rifts. South African no longer has his vision of equality and Democracy which can be seen by their refusal to take a position on Zimbabwe other than supporting a ruthless dictator.

davem
27-Jun-08, 16:52
He's on a pedestle because he deserves to be, just because someone has been feted for years doesn't diminish their acheivements.

weeboyagee
27-Jun-08, 17:54
He's on a pedestal but why on earth would he put his name to a gig that has that drugged up, absolute disgrace of a singer like Amy Wino-house. She should be allowed in, allowed to apologise to the crowd for her deplorable lifestyle that is an abhorent example to the youth and allowed to leave with a nice size 10 printed on her,.........enough! :mad:

WBG :cool:

Errogie
27-Jun-08, 18:06
Off course she's not following the example of any our acclaimed Gaelic singers who've shortened their lives and exhibited disasterous life styles by misusing alcohol!

hotrod4
27-Jun-08, 18:07
Maybe for his birthday he should get an apology from the CIA as it was them who grassed up where he was and was then captured and jailed for all those years.
His history is not all rosy but at least he came up with the goods in the end.
Happy birthday Nelson.

weeboyagee
27-Jun-08, 18:26
Off course she's not following the example of any our acclaimed Gaelic singers who've shortened their lives and exhibited disasterous life styles by misusing alcohol!
Of course she's not - misusing alcohol? ;)

Where you been Errogie - you're living very quiet these days! :D

WBG :cool:

mr do dar
27-Jun-08, 19:42
I wonder how much this birthday bash is costing us tax payers . there going on about the price of everything going up and people going into liquidation . then they throw a birthday party for someone that dont even lives in the u.k and expect us to join in .

Tom Cornwall
27-Jun-08, 19:45
you don't come from Norfolk, do you??:)

mr do dar
27-Jun-08, 19:49
no why do you ask

badger
27-Jun-08, 21:44
I wonder how much this birthday bash is costing us tax payers . there going on about the price of everything going up and people going into liquidation . then they throw a birthday party for someone that dont even lives in the u.k and expect us to join in .

Maybe you should learn a bit about him and then you would understand. He is one of the few people whose example would change the world if it were followed. I'm not impressed by the line-up and can't think why Amy Whine-house was included (anything further from his ideals is hard to imagine) but if it makes a few more people think about what Mandela stands for I don't begrudge a penny.

TBH
27-Jun-08, 22:14
Some think Mandela and the A.N.C were nothing more than terrorists.

Kevin Milkins
28-Jun-08, 00:14
Just wached it on telly and have to say that only one came out on top was Nelson Mandela.
He did not say a great deal but what he said was just about right.
Other folks jumped on the band wagon and it got embaresing.
Amy scratched at her minge as useual and of course did nowt but big up Blake.
Farts from 20 years ago did there bit /badly.
The bi-pola guy (cant think of his name) had me reaching for the Stanly knife.
However ,every body seemed to enjoy the night out .

And I make no apoligies once again for my bad spelling:)

brokencross
28-Jun-08, 09:06
His history is not all rosy

Could be a slightly dubious understatement.

but at least he came up with the goods in the end.

So are you saying the end justifys the means?

Very dangerous theory when it involves bombing and murder.

oldmarine
28-Jun-08, 09:55
He seems to have done well. From prison to a well-known man.
:lol::lol: