PDA

View Full Version : Touring the West Coast - Advice please

Angela
20-Jun-03, 10:28
Hello People

I know this is a Caithness site but I knew you would all be very helpful!!

In July myself and my BF are doing a wee tour of the West Coast of Scotland, going round Ullapool, Lochinver and making our way up past Tongue etc, then back to Wick for the Gala of course! Any advice on where to go, any nice spots or places with touristy things to do etc?

Any advice would be ace

Cheers

A

Anonymous
20-Jun-03, 10:41
Angela, I would go a wee bit further South, and take in the Kyle of Lochalsh, Plockton, Lochcarron, then head up to Shieldaig then on to Gairloch and Poolewe. The scenery is stunning, would recommend that you just take things as they come, plenty of good places to eat and drink. You will enjoy youyrself.

squidge
20-Jun-03, 13:28
I would go slightly south of that and spend a day or two exploring the Ardnamurchan Penninsula too. Sanna Bay, Glenborrodale, Arisaig mmmmmmmmmmm. Saw a golden Eagle fly over Loch Sunart once never forgotten it. This is my most favourite place in the world although i love it mostly in October.

Mind out for the midgies though Angela!!!

Lynz39
20-Jun-03, 15:50
OOH Ange thats pure MIDGE country! You will be eaten alive! I hope your no campin!!
Plenty of Avon So Soft or Jungle Formula. Why dont you go a trip to Skye too. It is suposed to be lovely

Kenn
20-Jun-03, 22:31
Lochinver to Point of Stoer then round by Drumbeg..that peninsula is one of the most beautiful places I have ever travelled with some marvellous beaches,fantastic views of mountains,sea and shore also some welcoming hamlets with excellent stoping places for light refreshment.Heck got room for one more on your travels? Wherever you choose you are sure to be awed ..have a great journey

Naefearjustbeer
21-Jun-03, 03:28
You might want to go for a walk in to sandwood beach. It is about 4 mile walk and is one of the best beaches I have ever visited. check out these web pages

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/mountains/sandwood.htm

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/kinlochbervie/sandwoodbay/

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=222500&Y=965500&A=Y&Z=4

and dont forget the midge repellant

highlander
22-Jun-03, 01:52
ANGELA u have to go to ach melvich, just outside Lochinver, it is paradise, most beautiful beach, and also if u do go, there is a hidden beach when u climb over the rocks to the right hand side of the beach, also when u go to the left of the beach and climb up, u will find a small castle built by a hermet, he built it out of cement and shells, the story is he hid in it, in the second world war, i would love to go back there some day

trevor
22-Jun-03, 21:08
Hi Angela
If you go to Poolewe you could visit Cove. (Follow the road by the village shop to the coast). There is a memorial to the North Atlantic Convoys there and the scenery is stunning. Last time I was there I was lucky enough to see an otter in the bay.

Have a lovely time :D

sassylass
22-Jun-03, 23:38
Loch Maree is lovely. The hotel is nice and the food is excellent. The chef even took us out in the boat after lunch, it was loads of fun and beautiful scenery.

Errogie
26-Apr-06, 18:45
Achiltibuie in Wester Ross. Has the spectacular views back to the Assynt mountains but also out to the Summer Isles together with very friendly locals. Then carry on by Inverkirkaig to Lochinver and possibly Drumbeg and Storr.

Big contrast to the north coast east coast!

Saveman
26-Apr-06, 21:05
Visit Scourie.....the hotel there sells the real stuff....

Fran
27-Apr-06, 00:52
Strathpeffer and Bettyhill are a must, then on to Skerray, beautiful views and lovely beaches.

ice box
27-Apr-06, 01:55
drum beg, lax ford bridge and scourie brilliant cant wait to go again

cuddlepop
27-Apr-06, 09:48
Give yourself plenty time,there,s loads of suprises up north.Landscapes are breathtaking they seem to mesmirise you.As Saveman said SCourie is a must they bay there was sandy and rocky just perfect for the dog..Armadale bay up north was just something else.No one was there when we visited but i cant imagine it'll get as busy as most tourist resorts.Smoo caves and Waligoe are other favourites.This is getting painfull ,want to go back nowwwww.:confused

weeboyagee
27-Apr-06, 10:05
Better than that,.......drive to Ullapool, park the car up in the Latheron Car Park (outside Somerfield) walk down and onto the ferry The Isle of Lewis and head to the land of Heather, Milk and Honey - Eilean nan Fhraoich - Paradise. :) I am not long back (after a round trip to Eire) and wish I was still there! On the way back - you can take the coast round by Lochinver, Rhichonich, Durness and finally back to Caithness........

Sigh..............

WBG :cool:

98elite
27-Apr-06, 10:37
I'm another that loves Scourie, their campsite is fab, its wonderful sitting at the tent door with a glass of red on a calm summers night as the sun sets across the bay, doesnt get much better than that.

golach
27-Apr-06, 10:39
The west coast route to the north is fantstic for scenery, and all the previous posters have sung their own praises, but none have warned you of the dreaded "Midgie" and the Caithness version is the most vicious, take plenty insect repellant, or Avon Skin so Soft moisterising dry oil, Mrs G swears by it.
also see this link
http://www.caithness.org/community/arts/caithnesspoets/anon/index.htm

krieve
27-Apr-06, 12:07
I have just noticed this thread was started in june 2003.

angela5
27-Apr-06, 12:23
I have just noticed this thread was started in june 2003.

nearly 3 years later Angela gets the advice she was looking for[lol]

Doleve
27-Apr-06, 13:48
This has made me want to visit the west coast again. Plockton and Kyle area is stunning, I find it beautiful and peaceful, but then again so is Latheronwheel Harbour!

dirdyweeker
27-Apr-06, 14:42
was planning camping around the west coast this year with perhaps a visit to Skye so am very interested in this posting.
Thanks Angela for asking almost 3 years ago! It just goes to prove that the Caithness people are so helpful....slow but helpful!

cuddlepop
27-Apr-06, 14:50
Camping at Glenbrittle is a must.Cuillins to your back and the sea for a view,sheer bliss.Make sure you,ve plenty midgie repellent ,they.ve got tackety boots up here.!!!:p

Saveman
27-Apr-06, 15:02
I'm another that loves Scourie, their campsite is fab, its wonderful sitting at the tent door with a glass of red on a calm summers night as the sun sets across the bay, doesnt get much better than that.

I've done it a few times myself 98elite......it's a special place, really beautiful

angela5
27-Apr-06, 15:21
This has made me want to visit the west coast again. Plockton and Kyle area is stunning, I find it beautiful and peaceful, but then again so is Latheronwheel Harbour!

Went to Plockton a few years ago, i really enjoyed it and it was so peaceful.

Billy Boy
27-Apr-06, 15:41
i love the road that go's between tongue and lairg.set the tent up beside loch loyal a few year's back, it was a beautiful warm still nite, the only thing was we got evicted by midges at 5 in the morning,not nice takeing the tent down with a hangover and mrs billy and wee one, laughing there head's of at me from the saftey of the car[mad]

Ricco
27-Apr-06, 20:50
I am so grateful that Angela raised this question. This summer I was thinking of travelling up the West coast, taking about a week for it, then stopping over at a cottage in Bettyhill for a week. Travel back to all my ol' haunts in and around Thurso. Maybe slip back to the bus depot and pay for some windows I broke when I was a young brainless brat. :confused

laguna2
27-Apr-06, 20:56
i love the road that go's between tongue and lairg.set the tent up beside loch loyal a few year's back, it was a beautiful warm still nite, the only thing was we got evicted by midges at 5 in the morning,not nice takeing the tent down with a hangover and mrs billy and wee one, laughing there head's of at me from the saftey of the car[mad]

Sorry to laugh about the midges - bit been it, seen it, got bitten by it!! Big time at Achmelvich a few years back! Great weekend, until the little horrors bit!!! The car has never been packed so quickly - and with two out of a party of three safe in the car!!!!! :D

Must say though - scenery in this part of the country is second to none!!