PDA

View Full Version : Common Dolphins 31-5-08 and 24-6-08

Seabird
25-Jun-08, 22:07
Common Dolphins are Summer visitors.
They much prefer the warmer waters of the gulf stream and are quite common around the SW Coast of England where hundreds if not thousands die by being caught in fishing nets.
(bycatch)
We had a large groups sighted last year off Freswick and in the Pentland Firth near Reay.
So far this year a Group of about 60 were seen on the 31st May 08 at Helmsdale heading North through Berriedale and Dunbeath and last seen by the JO'G ferry in the Pentland Firth.

On Tuesday i received a call from Alexander from Latheronwheel to say a group of 10 Dolphins with a calf had just gone past his boat.
I contacted my Friend Dave at Whaligoe and ask if he would take a look from the steps.
He saw a group of 8 followed by a group of 15 go racing past with constant leaping.
He called again at Noon to report the Whales and said there were Dolphins leaping every where.
This behaviour is very common with this small Dolphin with it's half hour glass pattern on it's side.
Yellow at front and white on tail stock.
Can be seen in groups of several hundred or even thousands.

Colin

kas
26-Jun-08, 22:09
8 or 9 were in very close to Scrabster on the 4th of June around 10pm as well. Delightful dolphins to see.

kas
04-Jul-08, 00:00
A group of 50 passed through Dunnet and Thurso Bay this evening onto Brimms, where we got fantastic close up views of them.

arana negra
24-Jul-08, 21:59
In all our travelling as kids and adults around the coasts of Scotland I never saw any. On two visits to Gibraltar I have seen many, ( our wedding day luncheon was aboard a dolphin watch boat in the bay) such an amazing sight :D One day I will be back and hopefully see much more of the scottish marine life.

kas
23-May-09, 08:07
Coomon dolphins seen from strathy point yesterday evening at 17.30 through a telescope they were somewhere off of Dounreay at the time.

Later seen again by telescope from Scrabster passing through the Pentland Firth heading east. Very difficult to judge numbers. Somewhere in the region of 15-30.
These are the best dolphins for non sea watchers as they are so active and acrobatic the whole time. Keep your eyes open folks.