PDA

View Full Version : Is home made bread cheaper than bought?

valleyman
25-Jun-08, 19:40
Aint life just getting more n more expensive..? In a family of 5 we seem to go through a lot of the sliced stuff.... and I cant see any slow down!!
Would be interested if anyone has done any personal research on the economics of BOUGHT versus HOME MADE....

silverfox57
25-Jun-08, 19:52
Aint life just getting more n more expensive..? In a family of 5 we seem to go through a lot of the sliced stuff.... and I cant see any slow down!!
Would be interested if anyone has done any personal research on the economics of BOUGHT versus HOME MADE....
home made bread is more expensive,as soon as its cooked and the lovely smell of fresh bread, in kitchen my lot eat the lot,bad for your health but thick slice of warm fresh bread, butter, and homemade jam,think I get bread maker back out,:lol:

gollach
25-Jun-08, 20:02
lol

We had the same conversation in our house last night.:lol:

Bobinovich
25-Jun-08, 20:13
Silverfox57 is absolutely right - it's damned addictive stuff :lol: and there's nothin' like a fresh jam piece or a doorstep ham salad sarnie.

I last worked a home-made loaf out at 57p, but only got about 12 slices of bread out of it which doesn't compare well with a shop bought loaf.

Kenn
25-Jun-08, 20:24
Would depend on the type of flour you use, fresh or dried yeast etc.but it certainly won't work out cheaper although you will at least know exactly what's in it and the taste and smell make the effort worth while.
Used to bake bread every Saturday when I had a family at home ended up baking for the neighbours too!
Son has a breadmaker and he swears by it, never tried one myself.

changilass
25-Jun-08, 20:29
Bredmakers are great Liz, but had to put mine on the top shelf (its allowed out once a month) cos I was in danger of breaking the scales:lol:

EDDIE
25-Jun-08, 21:02

I reckon it would be cheaper because once the machine heated up it wont burn much electric but i think its more of what do u want convience of buying it ready made or the hasstle of making it and cleaning up afterwards.
Its the kind of thing i would say if u fancy makeing bread then go and buy the machine and have a go but its like most things when the notion wears off it gets stored away in the cupboards with all the other gadgets

Kevin Milkins
26-Jun-08, 02:17
I reckon it would be cheaper because once the machine heated up it wont burn much electric but i think its more of what do u want convience of buying it ready made or the hasstle of making it and cleaning up afterwards.
Its the kind of thing i would say if u fancy makeing bread then go and buy the machine and have a go but its like most things when the notion wears off it gets stored away in the cupboards with all the other gadgets

My gadgets cupboards have spilled over into my attic now.lol

Whilst looking for somthing else in the attic yesterday I stumbled on a bread maker that looked new and dont ever remember seeing it used.
On the strength of this thread I might give it a go. Stand by for updates.:eek:

Bobinovich
26-Jun-08, 23:14
Might as well get on those troosers with the expandable waistline then Kevin :lol:

Allsorts
26-Jun-08, 23:25
Hi,
We haven't bought shop bread for a while now we make our own and the novilty of warm home bread does stop so though at first I found I seemed to be making loads if has slowed down and now a hot loaf is a treat. In a way home made bread isnt a treat its the norm.
I use a mixture of the bread maker and mixing it in the kenwood and then cooking it. I think in the long run we are saving money as you can get 3 loaves out of a bag of flour and can get big packet of dried fast acting yeast that last a while so a lot cheaper to use than the small individual packets. If I am doing it in the oven then I cook more than one at time and they only take 30 mins in the over to cook.
We did invest in a food slicer so that helps to get a lot more slices out of a loaf and that helps it last longer too.
Give it a try you soon get into a routine of making bread and it really doesn't take that long.

Kevin Milkins
26-Jun-08, 23:35
I am going to give it a go I think.
As for my trousers needing elastic, I think I am beyond redemption there anyway.lol
All I need is a longer bit of elastic:D

loobyloo
27-Jun-08, 06:09
It is much nicer to make your own and you can put in ingredients that you like eg. sundried tomato and olive bread is lovely. However, it ain't any cheaper I'm afraid. You need a bit of practice: first few I made in the breadmaker were absolutely disgusting!!!! Basically, it isn't any cheaper but it's a Hell of a lot nicer:)

trix
27-Jun-08, 13:27
i da ken much aboot 'e price o' bried as i da buy 'e stuff in - too many carbohydrates for ma slender feegur [lol]

but i do ken that when i wis livin at home an went til thurso college, id get in at tea time an 'e auld cheil wid o' bin at 'e homemade bried makin.....

what an aroma wid fill ma nostrals when i used ma wind bags. lovely lek, 'e whole hoose wis be smellin bonnie....ma mam is a lucky wifie!!

bring back those days....

now, even though i choost live doon 'e rod fie 'e auld cheil, am feelin relativly hom' seik :( :lol:

Ricco
27-Jun-08, 19:32
I find it cheaper - and better too!

gardeninginagale
27-Jun-08, 19:51
i think its more of what do u want convience of buying it ready made or the hasstle of making it and cleaning up afterwards.

The cleaning up afterwards is non-existent. A good bread maker only needs a wipe with a damp cloth. And making it is no hassle, it is fun and therapeutic. The aroma calms the most tense of nerves.

But as others have said, the downside is that the product gets consumed immediately, and in quantity.

On the other hand, if you make your own, you know what you are getting. And the cheap bread you buy from, ermm, any Deutsch-based supermarket only keeps fresh for a fortnight because of the chemicals added to it.

Your choice. Get fat or consume chemicals. And if I am contributing to the Scottish obese statistics by making my own bread, rather than buying stuff riddled with potential carcinogenics, so be it.

badger
27-Jun-08, 21:35
All you people with breadmakers are missing the fun, not to say exercise and working off aggression, of making bread properly. I used to do it all the time years ago when we lived near a proper baker and could get real yeast, not those grains in a tub. So satisfying turning it out when it's had time to rise a bit in the airing cupboard and kneading it on a board until it's just right.

Breadmakers and mixers are for wimps. Do it by hand the proper way - nothing like it. You still can, even with dried yeast.

Margaret M.
28-Jun-08, 02:56
So satisfying turning it out when it's had time to rise a bit in the airing cupboard and kneading it on a board until it's just right.

I am just not a kneady person. If I see the word knead in a recipe, I have to skip it. There's not a better smell in the world than bread baking so my breadmaker makes me one happy wimp.

Ricco
28-Jun-08, 08:51
We do have a breadmaker which my OH asked me to get for her and then never used. So, since it cost me and arm and a leg I make regular use of it. I do prefer the trad manual method, though. Not only is it more satisfying but you get a better consistency to the bread.

Kevin Milkins
01-Jul-08, 18:33
Right then,with the smell of fresh bread wafting through the forums it inspierd me to risk life and limb and dig ours out of the attic.
The only trouble is I have turned the house upside down and cant find the instructions for it.
It is a Kenwood rapid bake BM 200. So if anybody can tell me what to put in it and what quantity I would be very gratefull

Rheghead
01-Jul-08, 18:56
Right then,with the smell of fresh bread wafting through the forums it inspierd me to risk life and limb and dig ours out of the attic.
The only trouble is I have turned the house upside down and cant find the instructions for it.
It is a Kenwood rapid bake BM 200. So if anybody can tell me what to put in it and what quantity I would be very gratefull

You'd best get one of those Wright's Premium White bread mixes for starters, just to get you into the swing of it. Just add the flour and water, put it onto the basic programme and 'le voila'.

As for your baker's instructions, you might get a copy on the web somewhere.

Bobinovich
01-Jul-08, 19:20

Here you go Kevin - one BM200 instruction manual (http://www.kenwoodworld.com/datasheets/BM200--54037iss2%20BM200%20InsRec.pdf)

the charlatans
01-Jul-08, 20:11
I can't decide if its cheaper or not, i suppose it depends on what type of bread you bought in the first place. I like the Hovis wholemeal for £1.04 from Tescos, so I think it would be on parr with that for the amount of loaves you get from one bag of flour/salt/sugar/milk powder/butter and yeast.
Homemade bread from a breadmaker is alot denser than handmade homemade bread - (say that fast 3 times) but there are no chemicals in it and it does need eating within 2 days. We've had our fair share of disasters - today as it happens, the main reason being the wee mixer bit not being put back into the bottom.
We've tried lots of the different recipes from our Panasonic type breadmaker and it is used the most for pizza dough - they are fantastic, shop bought pizzas don't compare. Mum makes great rolls - she freezes them. Some machines can make jam in them too.
I laughed at Badger calling us breadmakers wimps, she'd no be saying that if she got in the way of some of the rock hard lumps i've created!

Kevin Milkins
01-Jul-08, 20:48
Cheers folks.
56 pages later and my sleves are rolled and ready to become a master baker.lol:D
Watch this space.
Or items for sale soon.:confused

chaz
02-Jul-08, 18:44
Home made definatly cheaper, have made my own bread ,rolls and pizza bases for years now.Family of seven and you have to be economic.Taste 100% better for you and tastes better too :)

trix
03-Jul-08, 07:40
respect chaz....;)

when am a proper grown up am gona make ma own bried an stuff too :lol:

Sapphire2803
03-Jul-08, 13:12
I absolutely adore home made bread, I used to have a breadmaker, but I got rid of it because I just couldn't get used to having a big hole in the bottom of the loaf and anyway, there's 6 of us and my breadmaker just wasn't chucking out a large enough loaf. I don't tend to make "real" bread, because I just can't be doing with all that hassle to be honest. I usually make soda bread, which is what my Aunts always used to make. No yeast, no messing about waiting for it to rise. Just mix it up and throw it in the oven, job done and it's still gorgeous straight out of the oven.

Now, before anyone has a dig at me for being lazy, not making bread and spouting off about how folks had to do it years ago I'll just let ya know...

I will only accept comments like that from folks who grow all their own veg, cut their own peats and do their washing one day a week with a scrubbing board and a mangle. ;)

teenybash
03-Jul-08, 15:07
Had my first go at making 'proper' bread, having never done this before apart from soda bread which I bake frequently.
The result was...............terrrrific, in fact I have just ordered a breadmaker. The flavour and filling capacity will outway the extra cost, if there is any....................Quality, not quantity are what is important :)

Kevin Milkins
03-Jul-08, 17:21
First attempt was a bit doughy.
Might have another crack at it tonight.:(

EDDIE
06-Jul-08, 13:58
Well after reading this thread i decided to buy a breadmaker bought one yesterday i tried the ready mix pack were u just add water and your done came out ok on fast bake ive justed made a another bread milk loaf today made it from scratch so iv yet to eat it.The only thing i found was the bread knife wasnt all that good for cutting the bread tidily i had to use an electric life and also does anyone no how long homemade bread lasts before going off.
I got a recipe book with it loads of ideas but does anyone have there own recipes they want to share?

Tilter
06-Jul-08, 14:30
My OH has made all our bread in a breadmaker for years now and he's got very good and fast at it. He uses granary flour and puts lots of extra seeds and stuff in. I couldn't go back to shop-bought now no matter if it's cheaper. You end up eating too much of it though. Also, breadmakers don't seem to last long - we're on our 3rd or 4th, so anyone with one languishing in the attic.........................

Badger I'm not going to tell him he's a wimp in case he goes on strike in bread dept.

teenybash
06-Jul-08, 15:11
Just bought a small breadmaker and am pleased with the results. I definately eat less as home made is more filling because it has more goodness, plus you know what is in it. :Razz

Rheghead
06-Jul-08, 18:54
Tilter, our Panasonic bread maker has been used twice weekly for the last ten years and shows no signs of packing in, I'm tempting fate here but I'd like to recommend a good quality product.:)

chaz
06-Jul-08, 19:19
Tilter, our Panasonic bread maker has been used twice weekly for the last ten years and shows no signs of packing in, I'm tempting fate here but I'd like to recommend a good quality product.:)

We also have a panasonic bread maker and highly recomend them,ours also is about 10 years old and used daily is still going strong :)

the charlatans
06-Jul-08, 20:38
I think this thread should be deleted - I went for new white bread flour in Tescos and it was sold out.................
We got some stoneground flour instead - I have bought this in the past and it made a lovely change.
Any tips for the rolls? our first efforts were rubbish and hubby was looking for people to stone with them.:eek:
Kevin, dinny give up after the first few, it takes a whiley to get it spot on - and even then it sometimes doesn't work. But cooking is like that. One tip my mum gave me, be precise with the ingredients and always use the freshest yeast you can.

Solus
06-Jul-08, 20:41
love home made bread, and charl, stoneground makes a cracking loaf, get my good lady to make one for me now and again, along with a good old brown loaf.

Cheaper, who cares. It mighty fine tasting bread cut into huge doorsteps and some nice home made jam ,hmmmmmmmmmmmm

teenybash
06-Jul-08, 21:20
A tip....you can use ordinary plain flour for bread making and it is lovely.

EDDIE
06-Jul-08, 22:36
We also have a panasonic bread maker and highly recomend them,ours also is about 10 years old and used daily is still going strong :)

i bought the panasonic 255 model only thing i find strange about it is how the paddle at the bottom of the bowl is a loose fit it doesnt look right but its ment to be like that but i have no problems with it

Rheghead
25-Aug-08, 13:07
Here is a weird one, put your flour etc into the breadmaker first then turn out the light. Carefully pour the water into the breadmaker from a reasonable height and the flour will glow blue.:eek:

Welcomefamily
25-Aug-08, 13:19
It certainly tastes better.

Allsorts
25-Aug-08, 19:24
we make all our own bread and have to say I use my kenwood mixer for it. I use to use the breadmaker for the white bread but now find it quicker and easier to mix in the kenwood for 3 mins or so and then put in a loaf tin. Can make more in the time it takes the bread maker to make one loaf.

I do still use my bread make for dough though for pizza and rolls etc also if I need a loaf and am not in to make it by hand will set up the machine.

Badger you can get fresh yeast from Tesco if you ask at the bakery - like Asda they give you a wee bit free to encourage home baking.

kgunn
25-Aug-08, 19:33
Bread makers are cheating :)

KILTIECAULDBUM
26-Aug-08, 01:17
Hi.
Like a lot of folk on this thread, we decided to look out our bread maker too. We got it I'm sure, from QVC a few years back but never used it much. Dying to give it another go now though, but can't find the instructions!! Don't suppose anyone knows where to get a set or a link to a set? The manufacturer etc is;

KITCHENMASTER VBM100 BREADMAKER.

Thanks if you can help. Might even keep you a bit, if you're quick, [lol].
Cheers,Kcb.

Kevin Milkins
26-Aug-08, 06:39
Hi.
Like a lot of folk on this thread, we decided to look out our bread maker too. We got it I'm sure, from QVC a few years back but never used it much. Dying to give it another go now though, but can't find the instructions!! Don't suppose anyone knows where to get a set or a link to a set? The manufacturer etc is;

Cheers,Kcb.

I was in the same boat as you KILTIECAULDBUM at the begining of july and Bobinovich found the link for my breadmaker.( All 52 pages of it.)
We now make a loaf on a regular basis and its well worth the effort.
Good luck

trix
26-Aug-08, 07:05
Hi.

Cheers,Kcb.

use yer loaf....check 'e internet :Razz [lol]

stroma88
26-Aug-08, 20:30
i had just finished making a loaf when i read this!
my boyfriend's parents only ever make their bread and now that him and i are living together we often make our own too.
its far cheaper to make your own. 35p bag of flour makes 3 loaves. tsp of salt and butter and 2 of sugar for each loaf plus tsp of yeast. probably alot healthier for you too!

i just need to practice my kneading as this one came out pretty flat! :Razz

teenybash
26-Aug-08, 21:42
Cheaper, tastier, more filling and altogether better for you.
I bought a cheapie breadmaker which does all the mixing, proving etc but, I bake the bread in the oven....scrummy ;)

KILTIECAULDBUM
27-Aug-08, 00:30
use yer loaf....check 'e internet :Razz [lol]

I'm afraid my loaf was 'overcooked' checking the internet before I posted...!!!!![lol]

trix
27-Aug-08, 01:01
i suppose in a way ye were checkin 'e internet.....

by askin yer fellow org friends :lol: