PDA

View Full Version : Healing animals

cuddlepop
25-Jun-08, 15:37
well what do other animal lovers think,can animals really heal you or is it all a myth?

I personally believe that my own dog Connie could heal my mental health.There was just something about her I felt when I was particularly down.It was as if energy was being released from her and was giving me the strenght to "have another go".
I have never felt that sort of connection with any other dog I've had so it wasnt normal for me.

I even knew the exact time the vet gave her the injection and I wasnt even there.:eek:

Kevin Milkins
25-Jun-08, 16:38
[quote=cuddlepop;400510]well what do other animal lovers think,can animals really heal you or is it all a myth?

I personally believe that my own dog Connie could heal my mental health.There was just something about her I felt when I was particularly down.It was as if energy was being released from her and was giving me the strenght to "have another go".
I have never felt that sort of connection with any other dog I've had so it wasnt normal for me.

I am not sure if animals have any (powers) as such ,but some times they do things that beggers beleif.
When Aled took his brain tumor ,Megan started to smell the top of his head in the most intense way and when I told the vet this he explained that there are trials taking place useing dogs to smell tumors in humans.
Last week I caught the back end of a programme on telly about a guy that trains dogs for this purpose with a very high success rate.

Hope life is getting a bit better for you cuddlepops.
Regards Kevin

teenybash
25-Jun-08, 17:43
The day Connie came into your life was for a reason....to heal and the day she had to leave this world, she left you her special gift, to use whenever you need it.....
I totally believe our animal friends have the gift of healing and not only that they have the ability to seek out those who are in need.
How many times have we all saw the miracle of a broken heart, a crushed spirit a confused or frightened mind being restored by a cold wet doggy nose and a waggy tail or the gentle purring next to our cheek..............or think of the child who feels akward and misunderstood who hold the bottle to an orphaned lamb or someone who simply feels unloveable finding the specialness of unconditional love, from a furry, wooly, hairy or feathered friend.
Yes, I believe the creatures we share this planet with can heal....and it is us humans who need their gift to show us the way back to being 'whole.'........ :eek:

cuddlepop
25-Jun-08, 17:44
[quote=cuddlepop;400510]well what do other animal lovers think,can animals really heal you or is it all a myth?

I am not sure if animals have any (powers) as such ,but some times they do things that beggers beleif.
When Aled took his brain tumor ,Megan started to smell the top of his head in the most intense way and when I told the vet this he explained that there are trials taking place useing dogs to smell tumors in humans.
Last week I caught the back end of a programme on telly about a guy that trains dogs for this purpose with a very high success rate.

Hope life is getting a bit better for you cuddlepops.
Regards Kevin

I saw that report too and indeed we had a cat at the old folks home that seemed to know when someone was near death and insisted on sitting outside the door until they got a chance to sneak in and climb onto the bed.

Walks are really hard just now as I keep wanting to turn round and wait for Connie to catch me up.
There's a favourite of hers that I doubt I'll ever feel comfortable in doing again.:~(

teenybash
25-Jun-08, 17:46
I saw the programme too but, I saw it round the other way...........the dog is training the guy to read the signs................ it's the dogs who are showing us.

Kevin Milkins
26-Jun-08, 00:51
I saw the programme too but, I saw it round the other way...........the dog is training the guy to read the signs................ it's the dogs who are showing us.

I think you are right on that one teenbash.
Although I had been made aware of this by the vet I only caught the back end of the programme.

Fran
26-Jun-08, 02:23
Yes, animals are very knowledgable and comforting. I think all nursing homes should have a cat and dog as stroking them would relax the residents and would remind them of their own pets in times passed.
A lot of dogs are used as carers, this amazes me as I have seen what they do and i have trained my dog to do things like this too. they are also used to alert their owners who are about to have an epileptic fit.They are hearing dogs for the deaf and seeing dogs for the blind. they know when someone is about to die and wont leave them and howl as they die, i have seen this too. My dog followed "himself" everywhere, even to the bathroom, in the last weeks of his life, he wouldnt leave him at all, and was very welcoming to doctors and nurses, who came daily, moreso than he is usually to other people.
The dog is very much a mans dog as he belonged to "himself "for 8 years and they were always together, taking long walks around wick and down to the river. The dog pined terribly after himself died.
I would never have got through the terribly lonely last few months without the dog, who has bought me more love and joy than he ever has done. Im sure he is taking care of me for himself. I even wonder at times, throug"h things that have happened at home, if the dog actually sees "himself."

justine
26-Jun-08, 13:58
animals have senses we dont use so why not, but on a personal note i know my Tank(staffy) helped me through my depression so yes animals cans help us mere folk...

kriklah
26-Jun-08, 14:19
yep, i find my cats are a good source of comfort when feeling down, a cuddle and purr cheers me up.

i also think dogs are far smarter than we give them credit for. when we got the chinchillas, the first week or so Lurch was there, fasinated by the 'big mice', untill the novelty wore off for him. then with the unexpected arrival of "Small Fry", lurch was back at the cage, constantly staring into it, every little scuffle sent him into a tizzy, whining at us to come see. sadly Small Fry died just 10 days old, and lurch lost interest as soon as the baby chin was gone. so i wonder did lurch sense there was a problem?

since then Lurch hasnt bothered much unless there is a noisy clatter from the cage, however ive noticed the last week or so hes taken to lying next to it,(amusing when he leaps up with a yelp after small teeth investigate his tail!!) sooooo i wonder, are we expecting a new arrival?( i honestly wouldnt know it Lima were pregnant, since we didnt know the last time, theres too much fur to tell !!!) im definatley keeping an eye on them just in case.

(maybe ill have to ask lurch it the cat is pregnant again aswell!!!)

Tilter
26-Jun-08, 15:41
well what do other animal lovers think,can animals really heal you or is it all a myth?

Of course they can. Whoever says otherwise hasn't got a scoobie. I could write 19 A-4 pages on this but will spare everyone.

justine
26-Jun-08, 17:33
yep, i find my cats are a good source of comfort when feeling down, a cuddle and purr cheers me up.

i also think dogs are far smarter than we give them credit for. when we got the chinchillas, the first week or so Lurch was there, fasinated by the 'big mice', untill the novelty wore off for him. then with the unexpected arrival of "Small Fry", lurch was back at the cage, constantly staring into it, every little scuffle sent him into a tizzy, whining at us to come see. sadly Small Fry died just 10 days old, and lurch lost interest as soon as the baby chin was gone. so i wonder did lurch sense there was a problem?

since then Lurch hasnt bothered much unless there is a noisy clatter from the cage, however ive noticed the last week or so hes taken to lying next to it,(amusing when he leaps up with a yelp after small teeth investigate his tail!!) sooooo i wonder, are we expecting a new arrival?( i honestly wouldnt know it Lima were pregnant, since we didnt know the last time, theres too much fur to tell !!!) im definatley keeping an eye on them just in case.

(maybe ill have to ask lurch it the cat is pregnant again aswell!!!)

thats mad as bingo would lie down infront of our cage and he would suddenly jump up as the male chin decided his tail looked really good to play with...sorry to here about small fry..