PDA

View Full Version : diesel problems again

justine
25-Jun-08, 13:53
ok so we are back to the van. We thought that we had got it sorted,told it was primer pump that was letting in air, replaced with new one, glow plugs brand new, fuel filter new.Replaced everything that we can think of and still she is billowing out white smoke.We have tried to contact all the numbers we were given before but it is gonna be days before anyone can take her in and look at her due to them being busy, but she is our only mode of transport and we need to get her fixed,Please if anyone can help us either personally to have a look at her or to guide us with what could be happening with her, please could you contact me..your help would be much appreciated. We are in desperate need of help..Thanks..

Tony
02-Jul-08, 20:27
White smoke usually occurs when there is not enough temperature to burn the fuel. The unburned fuel particles are then exhausted usually by a rich fuel smell. In cold weather it is not uncommon to get white smoke until engine temperature builds up. One cause of white smoke on engine start up could be faulty glow plugs or glow plug system. Low engine cranking speed can also create an excessive amount of white smoke.
If the problem persists after the engine is up to operating temperature several other things should be checked. A faulty injector can cause white smoke. Timing is often a factor when white smoke is excessive. Low engine compression can cause the problem and the injection pump can also have problems that result in white smoke. Air in the fuel system can also result in white smoke.
Also read somewhere that faulty valve seals can produce white smoke when cold until they expand and creat a better seal when warm.
No expert though. Incidentally if you indicated the make, model and year somebody else may have a better idea.

justine
02-Jul-08, 20:33
hi. Thanks for the info..
We have checked all seals, hoses, put in new filters,glow plugs,the injectors have been checked and cleaned, primer pump replaced, fuel getting through, have not checked injector pump yet as she is going into for a diagnostics tomorrow, hope fully we shall know the problem..

I am sorry for lack of info, i did put the info on the first thread about the van, forgot this time round. Its a 2.5 d Renault Trafic 1994..

snakemaster
04-Jul-08, 19:03
put a cleer hose in the return line from the pump , and after 10 minits there is still air bubles in the line , you still have a prob with it sucking air thats the first thing i would check