PDA

View Full Version : Lyth Arts Centre - well worth a visit this summer

Torvaig
23-Jun-08, 15:08
As many of you showed your support for the Lyth Arts Centre when it was announced that the Scottish Arts Council have withdrawn funding for 2009, may I ask you to support us once again by visiting the centre this summer. Below is a list of what is on during July and August.

Lyth Arts Centre Programme for July & August 2008

To see the exhibitions, please visit the centre any day during July and August between 12pm - 5pm where you can enjoy a stroll round the exhibitions and finish with a tea/coffee and the tastiest home baking. Makes for a very enjoyable afternoon out and your continued support will be much appreciated!

For events and workshops, once you've had a look at what's on offer on www.lytharts.org.uk (http://www.lytharts.org.uk/) you can follow the directions and download a seat application form, complete it and send it to us with your prepayment. Alternatively, please telephone us for up-to-date information about workshops or for advice on participating on 01955 641 270

A brief resume of what is happening:

Monday 30 June 2008: Members' Evening & Exhibitions Preview with wine and canapes.

FOYER:
Martina Cross - photographs
Joanne B Kaar - installation

MAIN GALLERY: Three Caithness painters whose lives span the period from the late 19th to the early 21st century:
D B Keith - retrospective
David Rosie - collages
Joze Hicks - portraits

BACKSTAGE GALLERY: Textile work by eight Scottish makers:
ANTA, Evelyn Gunn, Flora McPherson, Ruth Black, Tait&Style, Donna Wilson, Jeanette Sendler and Mairi Beeson

Saturdays in July - Textile Workshops. Some of the above makers will visit Lyth to lead workshops on their craft skills. For dates etc. check the website www.lytharts.org.uk (http://www.lytharts.org.uk/) or tel. 01955 641 270

Wed 6 Aug 10am - 4pm Violin & Piano Workshops & Masterclasses
Professional classical musicians offering tuition to students of any age and ability.

Wed 7 Aug 8pm - Sutherland Duo - piano and violin recital:
Harriet Mackenzie and Christina Lawrie play works by Mozart, Brahms and Spanish composer, Pablo Sarasate.

Margaret M.
23-Jun-08, 22:52
I would love to be there for some of those and tea/home baking is the crowning touch. Is the Centre open year round?

Torvaig
23-Jun-08, 23:08
It is open as a gallery and tearoom for the months of July and August from noon until 5pm every day. During the rest of the year there is a diverse range of entertainment which includes drama, workshops and music - mostly jazz. If you take a look at the website via the link above you will get an idea of what goes on....:)

Margaret M.
24-Jun-08, 02:19
If you take a look at the website via the link above you will get an idea of what goes on.

Great website. I am planning a visit in September for sure -- it would be a real shame if Caithness were to lose this wonderful asset.

Torvaig
24-Jun-08, 08:39
Good for you Margaret M; you will be very welcome. I don't know what will be on in September yet but keep your eye on the website to keep in touch. You can email the centre and ask for your email address to be put on the data base thus keeping you up to date with what's on. :)

tootler
24-Jun-08, 10:13
I'll be visiting this summer, for sure - smashing scones, REAL coffee (mmmmm!) and, oh yes, I nearly forgot, beautiful pictures!

A great day out for anyone of any age, visitors or locals, arty or just interested in scones. There's even a walled garden to enclose the kids while you sit on the patio and savour your coffee in the sunshine. My children even found a tree to climb (a rare thing indeed, in Caithness!)

All the best to William - I trust his efforts to secure funding for next year's musical programme will be successful because positive creative thinking always works & that's his real talent!:D

wifie
24-Jun-08, 11:20
Great thread Torvaig - will definitely visit if I am up during July and August! Thank you!

Torvaig
24-Jun-08, 12:23
Thank you for your comments and yes Tootler; there are exhibitions to see as well although I do think Betsy's baking is an exhibition in itself! What would we do without her.....