PDA

View Full Version : Scrap!

porshiepoo
23-Jun-08, 12:52
How do we get rid of scrap vehicles in Caithness?
Does anyone know of anyone who takes them away?

Sandra
23-Jun-08, 12:58
Try Speedy Skips

http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/business.php?id=74

scorrie
23-Jun-08, 17:42

I am assuming a skip hire firm will charge you. There are companies who say they collect scrap cars for FREE. Here is one example:-

http://www.scrapcar.co.uk/

They say the service is both free and legal. I cannot speak for any of these companies but just offer the information for your investigation in the hope it might save you money.

davem
23-Jun-08, 17:47
Speedy took away 2 cars 10 miles from their depot for me. They came the day after I asked and charged nothing.
The only thing you might do is wind the windows down before they come so they don't get smashed to get the chains through.

Did exactly what it said on the advert.

buggyracer
23-Jun-08, 18:14
with the price of scrap at the moment no wonder they take them away free :lol:, i did hear a place outside wick pays YOU for your scrap cars.

Geo
23-Jun-08, 18:32
I think Speedy pay if you get the car to them.

However down south companies pay whether you get the car to them or they pick it up. My brother got £80 for his and they collected it.

porshiepoo
23-Jun-08, 20:16
Thanks for all that. Perhaps I should have mentioned that it's a van - does it make a difference???? :eek:

percy toboggan
23-Jun-08, 20:27
Thanks for all that. Perhaps I should have mentioned that it's a van - does it make a difference???? :eek:
Yes. it makes it more attractive - more metal content.
The balance has now swung back towards the scrapper being paid a few pounds at least for a defunct vehicle. However, in such a rural community where a fair few miles might be involved for a towing/recovery truck then I'd be prepared to have it uplifted and shifted for nowt.

sprint95m
23-Jun-08, 23:22

In the motoring section of the Groat there are several businesses advertising for scrap vehicles.

scorrie
23-Jun-08, 23:26
Speedy took away 2 cars 10 miles from their depot for me. They came the day after I asked and charged nothing.
The only thing you might do is wind the windows down before they come so they don't get smashed to get the chains through.

Did exactly what it said on the advert.

The earlier link to Speedy gave NO indication that their service was free. I am all for yer local hero, if they shout out what they do they will get more takers!!