PDA

View Full Version : Did he do the right thing?

TBH
21-Jun-08, 21:19
If you found out your child was doing something illegal would you report them to the police:

Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/7465414.stm)

ciderally
21-Jun-08, 21:31
watching the fathers reaction on telly ...think he was rather shocked at the 3 years the lad got...so was i ....he is going to come out worse than when he went in...

Tighsonas4
21-Jun-08, 21:38
voted yes but with reservations as its not my son
but on the other hand they might have both have faced worse consequences if things had gone wrong
its the old story[thank god ]i havent been in that position tony

Julia
21-Jun-08, 21:48
I'd have done the same thing, imagine how much worse things would have been if the gun had been used and lives ruined, he will be out in 18 months and hopefully prison will have taught him a lesson. When the lad is older and a father himself he will probably look back and agree with his father's difficult decision.

wifie
21-Jun-08, 21:56
Would be good to think it is a shock for both of them and will draw them closer together. Have no experience whatsoever to go on but it is possible that prison could have the wrong effect on the son - hopefully not. As others have said the whole situation, gone unchecked, could have had disastrous consequences. As a mother I would hope that I could talk to my son first but would then accompany him to the nearest police station.

Kevin Milkins
21-Jun-08, 22:07
The question is would you report your son to the police for doing somthing illegal.
If ,as I did read the thread the answear is yes.
We are talking serious no no here. Guns and bullets amounts to big crime.
If a local shopkeeper informed me that my son had pinched a bag of crisps then I think I could deal with that.

chaz
21-Jun-08, 22:12
Yes i would report any of mine,why should i see things differently because they are my children,no double standards here.

TBH
21-Jun-08, 22:15
I think the Father did the right thing, i would like to think If I was in that position I would have done the same thing but Hopefully I will never know.
The three years seemed to come as a bit of a shock and I wonder if the Father now regrets his decision and ponders whether he should have handled it differently.

DeHaviLand
21-Jun-08, 22:39
The father did the right thing, and the boy got off lightly. There is a recommendation of five years imprisonment for all gun crime, and, in this case, there are no mitigating circumstances whatsoever.

northener
21-Jun-08, 22:55
Touch call, but given the seriousness of the crime - yes.

It could easily have been a charge of murder or manslaughter had the father not intervened. Though I agree with Kevins' comment regarding lesser crimes...up to a point.

golach
21-Jun-08, 23:18
I would have done exactly the same in the circumstances. And if I found my children in possession of Cannabis I would drag them by the scruff of the neck, to the nearest Police station.

brandy
22-Jun-08, 06:39
honestly, i dont know how i would react.
i guess the first thing would be shock, then denial.
i wouldnt want to belive my son could do anything bad, that there had to be
a reason behind it all.
if i could, i would rather talk to him, and be able to do the right thing with him.
in the end, i just dont know.
i would like to say that yes, i would turn in anyone who was doing something illegal, including my own childen.
but i could honestly see my first reaction being a total freak out .. screaming at the top of my lungs.. where the blankty blank nblank did you get that thing. get it out of my house!!!
what are you thinking??!!! get rid of it!!! i raised you better than this... and just go total psyco mum on him.
nw this is al in theory as i just couldnt see them doing anything serioulsy wrong, and pray like the dickens they never do, and that if they do that i will have what it takes to do what needs to be done myself.

BRIE
22-Jun-08, 09:26
I answered yes, & I wouldnt be feeling guilty if my son got the whole 5 yrs!!
If my son was stupid enough to get in with the wrong crowd, take drugs & be willing to hide a dangerous weapon for someone else then i think he deserves everything he gets, & im sure it would only be a matter of time if he wasnt reported before the gun got used. lets hope the lad learns from his time inside.

MadPict
22-Jun-08, 12:02
Interesting to see 2 (so far) "NO" votes - I wonder how they would feel if the gun this kid was hiding was later used in the murder of a child? Or a family member?

How could they live with the knowledge that they may have been able to prevent the death of another child, due to the rising gun/knife culture amongst kids?

This isn't about a kid stealing sweets or some other petty crime. This kid had a handgun AND ammunition in his house and was involved in drugs/gang/criminal activity.

I can understand the choice of "I don't know how I would react" because it may allow other options such as taking the ammunition and firearm and disposing of it, or even 'handing' it in anonymously.

Or maybe the NO votes would have dealt with it 'in-house'?

cuddlepop
22-Jun-08, 13:52
voted yes but as others have said it would depend on the age of the child and the crime involved.
Underage drinking at 17 to me is less of a crime than say at 14.

balto
22-Jun-08, 13:56
thats great big yes from me, you have to let them know right from wrong, and if being hard like this then so be it, think it will make them a better person at the end of the day, if they know that their oarents wont let them of with anything.

sam
22-Jun-08, 14:47
I would of involved the police as i wouldnt want to live with the consequences if i didnt, Plus guns scare the hell out of me and i would of been worried that it may already of been used for a crime, but i dont believe for one minute that it would be an easy thing to do.

The boy who's dad reported him said he was keeping the gun for someone, probably if he had named names he would of got a lighter sentence, but what would the repocussion's of that of been. you can say well he shouldnt of taken it in the first place, but do we really know how he came to have it was he threatned if he didnt, did he owe some sort of debt, or was it really his, who am i to judge when i dont know all the facts.
I still think his dad did the right thing.

badger
22-Jun-08, 16:46
When I first saw the news item I thought what a brave father, it was exactly the right thing to do. However I have one reservation - this boy might go in to prison a stupid, misguided young man on the wrong path but he might come out a hardened criminal hooked on drugs and with some fairly unsavoury new friends. With the re-offending rate of ex-cons. I'm really not sure about this. Wish I could be sure of the outcome. Wonder if we'll ever know.

If our prisons were doing the job they should be (and it's not their fault that they can't) there would be no question.

stiggy
22-Jun-08, 20:15
I voted yes

As having been on the other end of a gun crime twice and still being scared of guns after 15 years, it's not something you get over easily.

TBH
22-Jun-08, 21:25
Interesting to see 2 (so far) "NO" votes - I wonder how they would feel if the gun this kid was hiding was later used in the murder of a child? Or a family member?

How could they live with the knowledge that they may have been able to prevent the death of another child, due to the rising gun/knife culture amongst kids?

This isn't about a kid stealing sweets or some other petty crime. This kid had a handgun AND ammunition in his house and was involved in drugs/gang/criminal activity.

I can understand the choice of "I don't know how I would react" because it may allow other options such as taking the ammunition and firearm and disposing of it, or even 'handing' it in anonymously.

Or maybe the NO votes would have dealt with it 'in-house'?I suppose the no vote could mean it would be dealt with in-house or perhaps the parents would bury their heads in the sand and pretend they never saw the amunition, some people probably would.

teenybash
22-Jun-08, 21:52
Voted yes because I know also the feeling of being on the wrong end of a fire arm. The father done the right thing and has shown his son there are consequences. Hopefully the lad will have learned his lesson and come to no harm in prison.

joxville
22-Jun-08, 23:50
I voted yes although I hope my son is sensible enough to never put me in that awful position.