PDA

View Full Version : Thurso Swimming Pool

bobbyjoeufb
21-Jun-08, 15:18
Not long back from swimming and cant beleive the level of service that I have received.

I handed over my highlife card to pay for a swim and steam room and was asked if I could let the life guard know to leave the steam room on. I did think to myself at the time well surely thats your job to let them know but agreed as previously I have asked for the steamroom and it was never switched on.

As I stood waiting for my friend to turn up I noticed that I only had a £2 coin which would not fit the locker so I asked at the counter if they would exchange it for 2 £1 coins. The response was that she had no £1 coins and was low on change. Fair enough I thought ill wait for my friend and see if he had a £1 coin that I could borrow.

My friend arrived and he only had a £10 note on him, he approached the counter and was asked if he had anything smaller he replied that this was all he had, he was given over £8 in change.

My friend then gave me 2 £1 coins for my £2 coin, I asked where he had got the coins from and he told me from the counter and showed me a hand full of change with at least six £1 coins!

I was fumming that I had been lied too, great example of poor customer service. Has half tempted to challenge her about it, but dont think it would have done any good.

Considering making a formal complaint at the moment, if any one knows who I should direct it to please let me know.

edayhouse
21-Jun-08, 16:20
Hello

Not quite sure who to put a complaint to - i have in the past completed forms within swimming pool and put them in suggestions box but nothing changes!

I apologise if i am going to upset people but i have to say it.....most of the times that i have used the swimming pool for either the gym/steamroom/sunbed or swimming i have found the staff very rude...on one occasion about a year ago i went to use the sunbed i found that there were no safety goggles to use, i got myself dressed (without using sunbed) went to reception and asked for another set of goggles to be told we dont have any the last ones broke you will be fine if you just close your eyes!! needless to say i never used the sunbed again.

Another thing if you phone to book the gym depending on who you speak to or what the mood is of whoever you get on the phone then somedays i am told you can only book it at 6.15pm or 7pm and every 45 mins thereafter other days speaking to another nicer lady you can book 6.30pm...the mind boggles....are the staff there just trying to be awkward i have to ask myself??

Cleanliness is another issue of the swimming pool/gym - both are dirty and i have seen very little cleaning go on when i have been there....
On an occasion the nappy bin in the swimming changing rooms were overflowing before i went into the pool i told the lifeguard who said sorry these bins only get changed on a Tuesday or it could have been Wednesday cant totally remember now but this was a Sunday that i was in....

To be honest the list goes on for me of the complaints that i have about the place but it is the only swimming pool nearby so..

again sorry if i have offended anyone but.

Cattach
21-Jun-08, 17:59
Two postings above a prity typical of the Thurso Pol. Also within the dressingrooms lockers with keys are in short demand and once that have may not have a band or pin on them to secure somehow to body or costume.
Complaints - try Bill Fernie, he should know.
Are you reading those post Bill - they are typical of the service there and there are many other problems.

Pepsix
21-Jun-08, 18:13
Mr Durrand is acting pool manager of both Wick and Thurso you could write to him and also send a copy to Graeme Ross, Area Facilities Manager, Highland Council, Drummie, Golspie.

Anyone who has complaints should raise them with either of the above or your local councillor.

tootler
21-Jun-08, 18:37
I'm not a great one for regrets, but I do wish we could turn the clock back and think again a bit harder about that council tax freeze that we're supposedly "enjoying".:roll:

Now there's not enough money to clean or run any of the council facilities efficiently or effectively - that's swimming pools, schools, council offices....

There's no wonder that council staff across the board are getting a bit short tempered and careless - it's likely that they're understaffed and lacking the resources they need to do their job adequately - it's hard to give service with a smile under those circumstances.

Personally I'd rather have paid more tax and be getting at least an adequate service, but it's a bit late now - we seem to be stuck with it for a good while yet.

Next time I must remember to ask that question before I vote, although it's hard to guess who'll have the influence to change things for the better!:roll:

Cattach
22-Jun-08, 12:48
No sign of the Chairman of the Education, Culture and Sport Committee coming on with a comment yet!

cuddlepop
22-Jun-08, 14:18
Trust and lies.;)

LMS
22-Jun-08, 14:40
I decided to take my 3 small children to Thurso pool last week and arranged for another adult to accompany me in order to provide the required supervision.

We checked the timetable before we went and discovered that from 2pm onwards on a Sunday, the pool is used for squads and lane swimming. I telephoned the swimming pool to check if it would be possible to take the children into the toddlers' pool instead. I was told it would not be and I accepted this. However, I decided to go to the pool by myself and found that one of the pool attendants had small children in the toddlers' pool. If there are rules on admission, fine, but they should apply to EVERYONE!!!!!!

rainbow
22-Jun-08, 15:14
Facilities manager for both Wick and Thurso Swimming Pools is advertised on the HRC website - maybe they will be able to improve Customer Service to the paying customers!

Cattach
23-Jun-08, 11:05
Facilities manager for both Wick and Thurso Swimming Pools is advertised on the HRC website - maybe they will be able to improve Customer Service to the paying customers!

Pity no sign of the Chairman of the Education, Culture and Sport Committee coming on with a comment yet!

Come on Bill, you are usually quick enough to jump in on a council topic! If you cannot then I hope you are at least taking note as there are some real concerns in Thurso.

changilass
23-Jun-08, 12:10
Can't say I have had any probs at Thurso pool, having said that I havn't used the gym or the sunbeds in a long time.

With regards to Bill answering, this is only day 3 of this thread, it is just possible hat he is away from his computer for some reason,work or pleasure, or he could be investigating before answering either way, give the guy a chance.

Asking the same question 3 days on the trot aint gonna get you a quicker answer if the guy is busy.

Moby
23-Jun-08, 12:34
Have to agree with Changi here - I have absolutely no problem with the pool staff and have NEVER considered any of them to be rude that's for sure.

I have young children who frequently use the pool and the lifeguards are fantastic - you only have to ask for help if you are trying to teach your kids and nothing is too much of a problem. I know that the changing rooms are scrubbed and disinfected every night and the bathrooms every morning - Ok during the day they can get a bit minging but that is because the lifeguards job is to watch the pool for the safety of the swimmers - if you remove a lifeguard for cleaning duties then they have to reduce the numbers in the pool and shut down the toddler pool. I can hear the outcry now if that were to start happening! As for the nappy bins - they are classed the same as the sanitary bins in any ladies toilet - they contain human waste and therefore under Health and Safety they are collected and disposed of by designated companies. Again this is up to the Council to deal with NOT the lifeguard.

The changing rooms/showers are old and tired which makes them look yuck - but yet again that is the Council's problem not the staff's.

It's the poor reception staff I feel for - many a time I have stood in the queue to swipe our cards and I am quite disgusted at the way that some people speak to them - they may be Council employees and therefore here to serve the public but to treat them with complete disregard and contempt is just plain ignorant! Do you realise that the receptionist who mans the first shift and/or the weekends does not have a fixed break away from their post - they are responsible to man the front desk continuously for 7+ hours.

Anyway .... sorry... rant over.

Cattach
23-Jun-08, 13:14
Can't say I have had any probs at Thurso pool, having said that I havn't used the gym or the sunbeds in a long time.

With regards to Bill answering, this is only day 3 of this thread, it is just possible hat he is away from his computer for some reason,work or pleasure, or he could be investigating before answering either way, give the guy a chance.

Asking the same question 3 days on the trot aint gonna get you a quicker answer if the guy is busy.

Just getting it back to the top!

freckles
23-Jun-08, 13:20
Yeah I'm afraid I too have a list of complaints about the pool as long as my arm. Is there any way of bringing about a change? Approaching the staff / comleting their feedback forms doesn't seem to make a difference.

gary.b
23-Jun-08, 13:32
I use the gym and swimming pool several times a week and I find 99% of the staff to be excellent. The gym changing room is ok but wouldn't like to use the shower, the male swimming pool changing room is minging and usually stinks of urine.
The curling machine in the gym has been broken for months, its quite normal for equipment not to be repaired for ages.
I blame the council for these problems not the staff, I find it hard to believe they've got away with it for so long, wouldn't want to kick up to much fuss in case they close the place down. Whats the one in Wick like??

mums angels
23-Jun-08, 14:02
My problem with the pool has nothing to do with the staff as barr one male lifeguard who has been rude , arrogant and thinks he owns the place i find they are all very pleasant and helpful ...i just find that the pool is way too cold especially for the little ones, i don't go very often but when i have my 2 year old often turns blue and shivers for ages after and its not like hes in for long, i also find it too cold for myself .

however no too long ago i took my son to swimming lessons and was waiting to pay and the lady behind the desk was gossiping away to someone she obviously knew and ignoring the fact i was there, after 5 mins of waiting i left and didn't pay..which was fine by me as it was there loss not mine .

changilass
23-Jun-08, 15:57
Surely if the changing rooms smell of urine that has more to do with the folks using the facilities rather than the staff. Places only end up 'minging' 'cos of the way folks abuse them.

Cattach
23-Jun-08, 17:07
Surely if the changing rooms smell of urine that has more to do with the folks using the facilities rather than the staff. Places only end up 'minging' 'cos of the way folks abuse them.

Guess you must be a female who has never been in gents toilets with urinals that have not been properly cleaned - the smells can travel for 'miles'! I am not suggesting that is the case with the toilets under discussion but mearly poiting out that it cerainly not always users that are responsible for such an odour.

Jo.b
23-Jun-08, 22:45
I'd just like to ask if anyone has a problem with the ladies changing rooms, toilet area and showers????
I find i really difficult to go into the loo and shut the door behind me, I wouldn't say i was overweight or large, but i have to do a kind of balancing act to get the door of the cubical shut!! If i need to take my toddler in too it's a nightmare!
The showers are RUBBISH if there is more than 2 people in the showers the water pressure isn't strong enough to get the 3rd shower on!!!
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a hot shower after a swim?
Council needs to improve the facilities or sell on to a private club, maybe we'll get a David Lloyd Leisure, now that would be a result for Thurso!

Ash
24-Jun-08, 08:50
I'd just like to ask if anyone has a problem with the ladies changing rooms, toilet area and showers????
I find i really difficult to go into the loo and shut the door behind me, I wouldn't say i was overweight or large, but i have to do a kind of balancing act to get the door of the cubical shut!! If i need to take my toddler in too it's a nightmare!
The showers are RUBBISH if there is more than 2 people in the showers the water pressure isn't strong enough to get the 3rd shower on!!!
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a hot shower after a swim?
Council needs to improve the facilities or sell on to a private club, maybe we'll get a David Lloyd Leisure, now that would be a result for Thurso!

i know exactly what u mean hate when i need a pee or the wee one does as its impossible to get in the toilets, the place needs a revamp the changing area has been the same for years

Jo.b
24-Jun-08, 09:21
Just a thought, but if we're having difficulties using the facilities, how do disabled folk get on???
I noticed there are facilities in the main reception area, but what happens if they need the loo whilst in the swimming pool area?

Boboowest
24-Jun-08, 12:37
A couple of years back i used the pool / gym most days and held a family membership on the Highlife scheme. At the time there was no doubt that the service was terrible and I the customer was a total inconvenience to the staff. Maybe the staff are really low paid and lost motivation but i doubt it as many have been there for years. The place is a disgusting hole which lacks any real management, leadership or public service. Needless to say I cancelled my memebership almost two years ago and have absolutely no intention of going back.

If they do not improve soon there will be no Thurso Swimming Pool.

cuddlepop
24-Jun-08, 12:41
A couple of years back i used the pool / gym most days and held a family membership on the Highlife scheme. At the time there was no doubt that the service was terrible and I the customer was a total inconvenience to the staff. Maybe the staff are really low paid and lost motivation but i doubt it as many have been there for years. The place is a disgusting hole which lacks any real management, leadership or public service. Needless to say I cancelled my memebership almost two years ago and have absolutely no intention of going back.

If they do not improve soon there will be no Thurso Swimming Pool.

Wasnt there a discussion not that long ago about the viability of two pools in such close proximity?
Maybe this is a hidden agenda of HC.:roll:

hotrod4
24-Jun-08, 13:35
Having just returned from Craig Tara, the pools up here have a long way to go!
The pool was immaculate, nice heat,Lifeguards everywhere and the pool was on 3 levels with flumes.
It was a fantastic pool well maintained and had lodas of features. With all the money being spent on Inverness, maybe they could direct some towards us? Doubt it.
Still no sign of our councillor, but maybe swimming pools are not his favourite subject after I asked where Wicks fund has gone!! :) still never got an answer just councillor spin, more and more like mp's every day ;)
Havent been to Thurso pool for ages but planning it this week, will post good or bad.

Thurso Lass
24-Jun-08, 23:29
Well I cannot believe some of the comments I have just read regarding the poolstaff at Thurso Swimming Pool! I am a frequent user of these facilities and have nothing but praise for all the staff who are cheery, friendly and very helpful. I am neither a staff member or council employee but do work with the public and am well aware of how hard it is at times to keep a smile on my face and in light of this feel that the staff at Thurso pool should be commended for their attitude and dealings to the public! Granted, the facilities are dated to say the least, however this is a totally separte issue from the standard of services provided by the staff which in my view is excellent!

padfoot
24-Jun-08, 23:51
the thing i dont like about the swiming pool is that they always stare at you all the time i go regularly with my kids and everytime they sit and stare i have seen myself checking as i know they are supposed to watch you bt i have seen myself looking all the time and they just sit and stare its very annoying

changilass
25-Jun-08, 00:41
Pool staff are supposed to watch, you would be the first to complain if one of your kids got hurt.

Was at the pool today, water definately warm enough and staff very friendly and helpful.

Moby
25-Jun-08, 07:56
the thing i dont like about the swiming pool is that they always stare at you all the time i go regularly with my kids and everytime they sit and stare i have seen myself checking as i know they are supposed to watch you bt i have seen myself looking all the time and they just sit and stare its very annoying

That's their job!:roll: They have to watch all people using the pool - obviously if there is anyone in the pool who is classed as high risk (eg: elderly, children, weak swimmers etc) they are going to watch them more closely.

My goodness I could hear it now if something awful happened because the lifeguards were either off cleaning or not watching the high risk users.

padfoot
25-Jun-08, 08:49
Pool staff are supposed to watch, you would be the first to complain if one of your kids got hurt.

Was at the pool today, water definately warm enough and staff very friendly and helpful.

Watch not stare and no I wouldn't be the first to complain because nothing would happen to my kids, because of their age I watch them very closely as does the person with me.

igglepiggle
25-Jun-08, 11:02
we usually go twice a week, the staff are all really nice apart from someb reception staff who are always gossiping on the phone and looks at you as if you are dirt, she makes you wait, even when i have the kids saying come on mummy. Thought customers should always come first?? And also a male lifeguard who thinks he owns the place since he started.

as for no swimming in the toddler pool when the kids lessons are in, i dont see why this is closed as it would be good to take the little one in when my oldest is in, they dont watch the toddler pool during opening times anyway, they sit yapping amongst themselves. also the drainage around the toddler pool is dangerous, there are bits missing, sharp bits where bits are broken etc i even seen a crisp bag floating in the water last weekend!!

as for the changing rooms, they are disgusting, smelly, nappy bin always over flowing, and they only have about 10 lockers that work in the girls. they havent got there drain boards any more for you to stand on so you are standing on a soaking wet ground. they are also freezing when you come out the pool, the wick changing rooms are lovely and warm

as for the big pool it is freezing, any one going from the warm toddle pool to the cold big pool have there teeth chattering.

there prices are overpriced, there are nothing for the kids, not even a shute, even when they did have them they were always closed. even if you ask for a float some staff just gurn as if they have to move. the aquadome costs less to get in and look what you get for your money there!!!

Cattach
25-Jun-08, 11:11
we usually go twice a week, the staff are all really nice apart from someb reception staff who are always gossiping on the phone and looks at you as if you are dirt, she makes you wait, even when i have the kids saying come on mummy. Thought customers should always come first?? And also a male lifeguard who thinks he owns the place since he started.

as for no swimming in the toddler pool when the kids lessons are in, i dont see why this is closed as it would be good to take the little one in when my oldest is in, they dont watch the toddler pool during opening times anyway, they sit yapping amongst themselves. also the drainage around the toddler pool is dangerous, there are bits missing, sharp bits where bits are broken etc i even seen a crisp bag floating in the water last weekend!!

as for the changing rooms, they are disgusting, smelly, nappy bin always over flowing, and they only have about 10 lockers that work in the girls. they havent got there drain boards any more for you to stand on so you are standing on a soaking wet ground. they are also freezing when you come out the pool, the wick changing rooms are lovely and warm

as for the big pool it is freezing, any one going from the warm toddle pool to the cold big pool have there teeth chattering.

there prices are overpriced, there are nothing for the kids, not even a shute, even when they did have them they were always closed. even if you ask for a float some staff just gurn as if they have to move. the aquadome costs less to get in and look what you get for your money there!!!

You say the staff are really nice and then go onto have a knock at all those on the reception, one of the life guards and those that grumble when you ask for a float!!!

I actually find the staff very pleasant but they lack a bit of leadership to get things done and tidied up as it should be. But above all the coucil through the Education, Culture and Sport Department have let the place become a swimming pool slum. I have been in many pools throughout the country being a keen swimmer at home and on holiday. Thurso pool is one of the worst in terms of facilites and repairs.

igglepiggle
25-Jun-08, 11:16
i said SOME not ALL reception staff which one is also a life guard in the pool!! as for the male one he thinks he owns the place.

edayhouse
15-Jul-08, 09:40
Have got to say that over the past couple of weeks things seem to have improved.

The changing rooms are cleaner and the staff are more friendly on the reception desk.

way hay
Just wanted to say something positive as i was one of those who posted to complain about the pool

cocopops
15-Jul-08, 12:47
its funny your taking about the toilets-im a size ten and have the same problem. but the last couple of days women have had to use the mens changing facilities, and i could get in their toilets no problem, and they have more large size lockers!! no smell of urine yesterday!

changilass
15-Jul-08, 13:55
Have I got this right, are they using the mens changing rooms as communal changing area now???

Just phoned the pool to be told that was yesterday, things are back to normal today thank goodness

rfr10
15-Jul-08, 14:16
I really think that the Thurso pool needs to be knocked down and rebuilt. It's dull, dark and not in great condition. I've only ever been there once and I really do prefer Wick Swimming pool to Thurso and that is not just because I live in Wick. It's also a terrible layout compared to Wick Swimming Pool.

Kevin Milkins
15-Jul-08, 15:13
I really think that the Thurso pool needs to be knocked down and rebuilt. It's dull, dark and not in great condition. I've only ever been there once and I really do prefer Wick Swimming pool to Thurso and that is not just because I live in Wick. It's also a terrible layout compared to Wick Swimming Pool.

Remind me not to invite you around for tea.You have only been to thurso pool once and want to knock it down.I didnt like my wife much when I first met her ,but after 38 years she doesn't seem to bad.

rfr10
15-Jul-08, 15:27
Remind me not to invite you around for tea.You have only been to thurso pool once and want to knock it down.I didnt like my wife much when I first met her ,but after 38 years she doesn't seem to bad.

Ok, it doens't need to be knocked down but every single section of the building needs to be refurbished ;) Slightly better way to put it.

When you buy a house, you usually go by first impressions.

Bloo
15-Jul-08, 15:38
The staff are extremely rude and snobby. "Do you have a pair or goggles i could buy?" Sorry no. "Well what is that to your right hand side?" Oh...Their for display, ask a pool attendant.

"Do you have a pair of goggles i could buy/borrow?" No, *Walks away*

They are rude and arrogant. I go to Wick swimming pool. Cleaner, friendly staff, bigger pool and ALWAYS nice and warm, not freezing like the pool here.

cat
15-Jul-08, 20:56
i thought wick pool was bad!just posted a rant about it yesterday in recomendations.
staff there are mostly great but duno what was wrong wi them all on sun.
i couldnt get pram through door and two of them stood watchin me try in reception.it was another customer that opened it for me.couldnt take pram into changing room,they were really quiet or i wouldnt of asked.the only reason they gave was that i wouldnt get it through opposite swinging doors on my own.
i dont usualy go with pram or on my own with baby,i know plenty of people do though,maybe i just need more practice,although il not be in any hurry to go back.
and it was cold.everywhere.

rfr10
17-Jul-08, 11:16
i thought wick pool was bad!just posted a rant about it yesterday in recomendations.
staff there are mostly great but duno what was wrong wi them all on sun.
i couldnt get pram through door and two of them stood watchin me try in reception.it was another customer that opened it for me.couldnt take pram into changing room,they were really quiet or i wouldnt of asked.the only reason they gave was that i wouldnt get it through opposite swinging doors on my own.
i dont usualy go with pram or on my own with baby,i know plenty of people do though,maybe i just need more practice,although il not be in any hurry to go back.
and it was cold.everywhere.

I'm not saying you're wrong but I have to say that I think the staff at the Wick Pool are very friendly. Now, I know, there are a lot of young folk employed there now so it will probably take a lot of them time to adapt to being, I'll use the word mature although I don't mean it in that sense. You'll tend to find them around the pool side though. The office staff, which are most of the older ones between their 20s - 50s are usually most friendly and I don't think there is a single one that I'd say is not friendly and approachable.

cat
17-Jul-08, 17:11
i would normaly agree.iv never had any complaints over the years,but maybe it was just the ones that was there on sun dont work well together.but they could have helped open the doors,and got off their backsides to take locker key and giv me a band as i kinda had my hands full!im not saying they cant do their job,or moaning about the state of the pool or anything,just having gone by myself with pram i really think they could do with a wee management chat about manners.
i wont name names but the rest of the staff are lovely

DeHaviLand
17-Jul-08, 17:19
The office staff, which are most of the older ones between their 20s - 50s are usually most friendly and I don't think there is a single one that I'd say is not friendly and approachable.

Oi sunshine! Statements like this are gonna bring your political career crashing back to earth before it even takes off.