PDA

View Full Version : Plan to pay smokers weekly to quit

Billy Boy
21-Jun-08, 10:41
Talk about a waste of tax payers money, If they didna smoke in the first place they wouldnt be so poor and everyone else is on about druggies.
What next free fags to those that canna break the habit.[disgust]

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20080621/tuk-plan-to-pay-smokers-weekly-to-quit-6323e80.html

katarina
21-Jun-08, 11:04
This is ridiculous! Whose to say the smokers wont take the money and smoke on the QT? Or give up for a time then go back again? I have never smoked in my life - will I get paid for my abstenance? No.
If they paid people like me a lump sum for every year they have NEVER smoked, it might stop the young from starting in the first place.
I've never heard such rubbish!

blackcat
21-Jun-08, 11:23
In 2005 Highland Council issued the following info to staff:
The Council has agreed to offer financial support to employees who wish to give up smoking as a result of the introduction of the new policy. The Council will therefore pay 50% of the cessation support costs subject to a maximum payment of £50 per employee.
Don't know if they still do or how much it has ever cost.

Kevin Milkins
21-Jun-08, 11:46
My wife and I gave up the fags on July 4th last year, after over 35 years dedication to them. We have not saved any money but in 2 weeks time we did not spend £3640 pounds that we would have ,had we still been smokers. I would hope that might be an incentive to anybody wishing to stop.
Does that make sense:confused

joxville
21-Jun-08, 11:59
I paid £190 for hypnosis to help me quit after 30 years of smoking and it was worth every penny. Not only have I stopped the fags, I found I'm eating LESS as well so am saving more than just the price of the fags. It's now day 17 since I stopped and haven't had any cravings, even when I'm with people that do smoke.

You still must have the desire to stop for any method to be successful. I was about 8 or 9 on a scale of 1-10, the hypnosis helped make it up to 10. However had I been about 6 or 7 then chances are I would have wasted my money and been back on the fags within a month. In fact, the hypnotherapist wouldn't have treated me had I been 6 or 7 because the desire to stop wasn't strong enough.

I would rather people be given free medication to quit rather than money. If they are serious enough about quitting then they should be able to do it without the monetary incentive. Being paid for it seems to be relying on a false hope.

Billy Boy
21-Jun-08, 12:20
My wife and I gave up the fags on July 4th last year, after over 35 years dedication to them. We have not saved any money but in 2 weeks time we did not spend £3640 pounds that we would have ,had we still been smokers. I would hope that might be an incentive to anybody wishing to stop.
Does that make sense:confused

I know where you are comming from lol, its a bit like working overtime you can never seem to save the extra money as there is always something that needs paying, but i bet you have noticed a difference in your health, the main thing i noticed when i stopped was the smell and everything tasted a lot better ( and i never got paid to stop either ) :roll:

Kevin Milkins
21-Jun-08, 12:28
I know where you are comming from lol, its a bit like working overtime you can never seem to save the extra money as there is always something that needs paying, but i bet you have noticed a difference in your health, the main thing i noticed when i stopped was the smell and everything tasted a lot better ( and i never got paid to stop either ) :roll:

We have both noticed a big difference in our health as never out of breath as much as before and no coughing like old croakes in the morning.
If you read the story on giving money as incentive ,its not just throwing money away though.

Cattach
21-Jun-08, 12:28
This is ridiculous! Whose to say the smokers wont take the money and smoke on the QT? Or give up for a time then go back again? I have never smoked in my life - will I get paid for my abstenance? No.
If they paid people like me a lump sum for every year they have NEVER smoked, it might stop the young from starting in the first place.
I've never heard such rubbish!

Totally agree with you. This country is going to the dogs with hairbrain ideas when a bit of discipline and self-discipline would be more beneficial. My hard earned money going to smokers to help them stop when I, a pensioner, have never smoked - words to describe the idea fail me.

Lord Flasheart
21-Jun-08, 12:44
Firstly .. its a stupid idea, and I say that as a Smoker.

I am highly amused at whenever a thread is started about Smoking there is a rush to jump aboard the Bandwagon. I started a thread in a tounge in cheek vein after being preached to by a non smoker who wandered into a smoking area and then complained .. utter idiot. It was hijacked by the high and the mighty preaching to us smokers, myself and Northerner tried to get it back on track with a bit of a laugh but no .. the righteous just kept coming !! .. absolutely hilarious.

But .. complain about Drug Addicts and *gasp* all sorts of excuses are made about how its not their fault and how I should have sympathy etc etc. The difference in attitudes in some quarters is startling. Hurry there is still room on the anti smoking bandwagon !!

Perhaps if people in Caithness showed the same disdain for Drug Addicts as they do for Smokers you would not have had to close the Tourist Information office and open a drop in centre for .. what was it again .. oh yeah .. Drug Addicts.

You couldnt make it up.

Kevin Milkins
21-Jun-08, 12:48

I am highly amused at whenever a thread is started about Smoking there is a rush to jump aboard the Bandwagon. I started a thread in a tounge in cheek vein after being preached to by a non smoker who wandered into a smoking area and then complained .. utter idiot. It was hijacked by the high and the mighty preaching to us smokers, myself and Northerner tried to get it back on track with a bit of a laugh but no .. the righteous just kept coming !! .. absolutely hilarious.

But .. complain about Drug Addicts and *gasp* all sorts of excuses are made about how its not their fault and how I should have sympathy etc etc. The difference in attitudes in some quarters is startling. Hurry there is still room on the anti smoking bandwagon !!

Perhaps if people in Caithness showed the same disdain for Drug Addicts as they do for Smokers you would not have had to close the Tourist Information office and open a drop in centre for .. what was it again .. oh yeah .. Drug Addicts.

You couldnt make it up.

I missed that thread LF can you run it by me again.lol:lol:

balto
21-Jun-08, 12:51
this is the daftest idea ever, if these people really want to give up smoking then they should be able to do it without the bribe of money, surethere are loads of other worthwhile causes for the money to be used on.

chaz
21-Jun-08, 13:14

You couldnt make it up.

Lol well said, im a smoker and getting sick of remarks from non smokers on occasions.As for being paid to stop, think there are much better things they should spend the money on!

Cattach
21-Jun-08, 13:52
Lord Flasheart says - I am highly amused at whenever a thread is started about Smoking there is a rush to jump aboard the Bandwagon. I started a thread in a tounge in cheek vein after being preached to by a non smoker who wandered into a smoking area and then complained .. utter idiot. It was hijacked by the high and the mighty preaching to us smokers, myself and Northerner tried to get it back on track with a bit of a laugh but no .. the righteous just kept coming !! .. absolutely hilarious.

What an idiot. Bandwagon!? What does he think and expect from the forum. Make a posting and you will get a response. That is what it is all about. People have strong views about lots of different things and express them. Just because they do not agree with Lord Flasheart and express this does not mean they are on a bandwagon.

loobyloo
21-Jun-08, 13:57
I feel sorry for smokers. It's seems perfectly acceptable for non-smokers (or the dreaded 'reformed' characters) to be downright rude to them, even when they're obeying the rules and smoking in a designated place!!! I'm much more offended by loud mouthed drunks, acting like pillocks.

Cattach
21-Jun-08, 14:12
I feel sorry for smokers. It's seems perfectly acceptable for non-smokers (or the dreaded 'reformed' characters) to be downright rude to them, even when they're obeying the rules and smoking in a designated place!!! I'm much more offended by loud mouthed drunks, acting like pillocks.

I have no sympathy for smokers who are the authors of their own ill health but even worse the cause of so much distress and ill health to others. I come from a 'smoking family' two close members who killed themselves with the weed due to smoking related disease. Also my wife's father, a very heavy smoker, died of lung cancer at young age.
Sympathy - fiddlesticks.

loobyloo
21-Jun-08, 14:22
I have no sympathy for smokers who are the authors of their own ill health but even worse the cause of so much distress and ill health to others. I come from a 'smoking family' two close members who killed themselves with the weed due to smoking related disease. Also my wife's father, a very heavy smoker, died of lung cancer at young age.
Sympathy - fiddlesticks.

I agree with some of what you say, coming from a family of smokers myself, two of whom also died. However, preaching at folk doesn't do any good. I don't think it's a morality issue: smokers are not bad people, nor do they deliberately set out to harm others (well the majority of them anyway).

TBH
21-Jun-08, 17:25
Smoking should be completely banned in the UK, according to a top medical journal. The Lancet said tens of thousands of lives would be saved by making tobacco an illegal substance and possession of cigarettes a crime.
It said 80% of Britons were non-smokers, who had "the right to freedom from exposure to proven carcinogens".
Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3292979.stm)

Are those 80% willing to give up their cars and public transport systems that pollute our air with carcinogens, much more than us 20% ever could having a cigarette? We are not a drain on the health service as we smokers provide 7-10 Billion every year in tobacco revenue, surely more than enough to cover medical costs.

Julia
21-Jun-08, 17:42
Instead of offering £12.50 a week as an incentive to quit why not raise the price of a pack of cigs to £12.50, would that not be a greater incentive to quit!

TBH
21-Jun-08, 17:45
Instead of offering £12.50 a week as an incentive to quit why not raise the price of a pack of cigs to £12.50, would that not be a greater incentive to quit!It will never happen that cigarettes will be out of too many peoples price range, the Government would lose too much money in revenue, not a hope.

Kevin Milkins
21-Jun-08, 17:48
Instead of offering £12.50 a week as an incentive to quit why not raise the price of a pack of cigs to £12.50, would that not be a greater incentive to quit!

But that would not be fair on Lord Flasheart and many like him ( or her ) that enjoy a smoke and do not want to give up smoking

Rheghead
21-Jun-08, 19:22
£10 billion tax on tobacco products per year? And a quasi-noble statement to the effect that it is smokers are in way keeping the NHS afloat! The weed has you my friend, take the red pill and see how far the rabbit hole goes...:)

Why would anyone put up with paying so much tax like that willingly when it is so easily avoided?:confused

TBH
21-Jun-08, 20:49
£10 billion tax on tobacco products per year? And a quasi-noble statement to the effect that it is smokers are in way keeping the NHS afloat! The weed has you my friend, take the red pill and see how far the rabbit hole goes...:)

Why would anyone put up with paying so much tax like that willingly when it is so easily avoided?:confused The sale of tobacco products does indeed bring in roughly £10 Billion in revenue, dwarfing the 1.5 to 1.7 Billion it costs the N.H.S to treat smoke related illness. Nothing there to suggest we are keeping the NHS afloat, far from it.
Obesity on the other hand Costs the N.H.S roughly £7 Billion per year so when are we going to put an extra tax on those cream buns, mars bars and other goodies for people of a certain weight or are smokers supposed to pick up their medical bills to? Yes, let's ban over-eating as it's a drain on the N.H.S!

northener
21-Jun-08, 20:56

Obesity on the other hand Costs the N.H.S roughly £7 Billion per year so when are we going to put an extra tax on those cream buns, mars bars and other goodies for people of a certain weight or are smokers supposed to pick up their medical bills to? Yes, let's ban over-eating as it's a drain on the N.H.S!

Actually, I'd agree with that. Far too many lazy, bloated lardarses in this country.

I suggest the Foreign Legion approach to weight loss for the Great Unwashed:

'March or Die'.

That'll make 'em regret that last lard sandwich.

Rheghead
21-Jun-08, 21:02
The sale of tobacco products does indeed bring in roughly £10 Billion in revenue, dwarfing the 1.5 to 1.7 Billion it costs the N.H.S to treat smoke related illness. Nothing there to suggest we are keeping the NHS afloat, far from it.

I had no disagreement as to the levels of taxation. My post was purely to do with addiction. Like tobacco, over eating is also an addiction which leads to illogical actions of the sufferer, ie their minds and judgement is severely impaired. They are basically playing Russian roulette with their lives and their relatives are picking up the tab. How logical is that? It isn't. So why would anyone put a loaded gun to their head and pull the trigger?

Why not tax fatty foods? As tobacco consumption falls, the treasury will no doubt be looking for something to fill the gap. And if it prevents anyone getting into the spiral of obesity then so much the better. No more will obesity be a disease of the poor but it will rightfully be placed back into the realm of the rich like it used to be.

Kevin Milkins
21-Jun-08, 21:03
Actually, I'd agree with that. Far too many lazy, bloated lardarses in this country.

'March or Die'.

That'll make 'em regret that last lard sandwich.

Hey now steady on boys,I gave up the fags with good intentions.
Ok I will agree that I have put a few pounds on (well ok stones) but please dont send me to the Foreign Legion.
My new diet starts next week.:~(

TBH
21-Jun-08, 21:03

'March or Die'.

That'll make 'em regret that last lard sandwich.They could literally 'march on their stomachs.' I wonder if they like bread with their lard?

Hey now steady on boys,I gave up the fags with good intentions.
Ok I will agree that I have put a few pounds on (well ok stones) but please dont send me to the Foreign Legion.
My new diet starts next week.:~(Try taking up smoking, it's a great way of dieting.;)

Tighsonas4
21-Jun-08, 21:50
smoking
for heavens sake anyone reading this would only add to the intake [lol]
was smoking since before i was sixteen[unfortunately]
will soon be 83 and would rather pay this monie myself to get off the fags
have also had a terrible addiction with drink terrible
but have never tasted it now for over 30 years
i trouble nobody else and dont let anyone trouble me tony

Kevin Milkins
21-Jun-08, 21:57
smoking

Fair play to you Tony ,You are the same age as my dad and he would not look at a computer ,let alone get involved in debate in the constructive way that you do . I think I may take up smoking again.lol

silverfox57
21-Jun-08, 22:20
smoking
for someone of your age and experience of life ,to say how it really is,has to be admired.as you would think some on here,have answer to every problem on life,not me as am no saint,

northener
21-Jun-08, 22:51
for someone of your age and experience of life ,to say how it really is,has to be admired.as you would think some on here,have answer to every problem on life,not me as am no saint,

I would like to point out that, actually, I do have the answers to everyone else's problems.;)

I'm an overweight ex-smoker who drinks too much and has a tendency towards obsessive behaviour. This means I can legally lecture and browbeat anyone upon subjects such as this.

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no control over my own life and problems, as anyone who knows me will definitely confirm. This makes me a complete hypocrite - but I don't care!:Razz

Seriously though, I think Rhegheads 'Fat Tax' is actually quite a good idea.
We're already well down the slippery, fat dripping, sweaty and purple faced road to being a nation of bloaters and, to be honest, nothing short of a famine will reduce the amount of food people shovel into their gobs unless their is a very real and immediate incentive to eat more healthily.

Ricco
22-Jun-08, 08:10
Quite agree with the comments - kinda fits with the 'druggies' thread. After all, smokers are druggies as well. How about somkeone paying us non-smokers to stay off the weed? Wouldn't that be a greater incentive? Here we are again - smoking addicts getting benefits the rest of us lose out on. It used to be those extra breaks (fag breaks) that they got, and yet the still got the same length lunch break as everyone else.

I say the Chancellor should double or treble the tax on fags (he could then reduce the tax on fuel), fag breaks should be deducted from the time smokers get for lunch, and smokers should not get NHS treatment for any smoking-related illness they develop.... after all, it is self-inflicted.

tigger2u
22-Jun-08, 10:03
If things are still the same now as they were before, It's amazing that If you have an addiction how better off you can be.

Alcoholics- top up their benifits so they can buy even more booze :roll:
Druggies- tops up and I believe free bus passes to get their bodyguards on with them:roll:
and now Smokers- pay them so they can save up and buy even more after 12 weeks :roll:

Why do we even try to make ourselves better when the systems rewards those that couldn't care less most of the time

I know, I know the sarcasm just oozes out but can you blame me lol

What other beinifits are there to addictions ?

golach
22-Jun-08, 10:14
I cannot see what all the fuss is about, this is only an experiment by the NHS in Dundee and will only involve 900 patients.
I was a smoker until a few years ago, and I was given advice by my doctor to stop or lose a leg :eek: I stopped very quickly with the help of patches.
And I have saved money too, a new computer was bought as an incentive to never smoke again, it carried a health warning on it, from Mrs G, she said if I ever started smoking again, I was to choose a window, as I would be going out of it, and my computer would follow [lol]

Tighsonas4
22-Jun-08, 11:16
I cannot see what all the fuss is about, this is only an experiment by the NHS in Dundee and will only involve 900 patients.
I was a smoker until a few years ago, and I was given advice by my doctor to stop or lose a leg :eek: I stopped very quickly with the help of patches.
And I have saved money too, a new computer was bought as an incentive to never smoke again, it carried a health warning on it, from Mrs G, she said if I ever started smoking again, I was to choose a window, as I would be going out of it, and my computer would follow [lol]
at least she was kind heartwd enough to allow the computer to leave too [lol] tony

Ricco
22-Jun-08, 15:53

Ah, Mrs G knows how to lay down the law at home. I see that there is a firm hand on the Golach tiller. ;)

golach
22-Jun-08, 19:43
Ah, Mrs G knows how to lay down the law at home. I see that there is a firm hand on the Golach tiller. ;)
Ricco, I am not as stupid or as senile as some on the org and other sites see me, Mrs G is a wonderful person, I know I married her, but I live with her virtually 24/7, well maybe not more like 20/6 [lol]

oldmarine
23-Jun-08, 01:32
I likewise am 83 years old. I gave up smoking because I never enjoyed it in the first place. Learned to do so during WW2 because they were free. Everytime we stopped for a smoke break I lit up with every one else. When I got home I realized I would have to pay for those weeds I did not enjoy so quit. I gave up drinking alcohol when I became a diabetic. My physician told me that alcohol was converted sugar and that I should give that stuff up. I saw too many diabetics who had their limb extreminities cut off becaues of diabetes. I decided I wanted no part of that and also gave up that stuff. Sometimes it doesn't take too much for a person to give up those things that can harm or cause ill effect.

Lord Flasheart
25-Jun-08, 19:15
Lord Flasheart says - I am highly amused at whenever a thread is started about Smoking there is a rush to jump aboard the Bandwagon. I started a thread in a tounge in cheek vein after being preached to by a non smoker who wandered into a smoking area and then complained .. utter idiot. It was hijacked by the high and the mighty preaching to us smokers, myself and Northerner tried to get it back on track with a bit of a laugh but no .. the righteous just kept coming !! .. absolutely hilarious.

What an idiot. Bandwagon!? What does he think and expect from the forum. Make a posting and you will get a response. That is what it is all about. People have strong views about lots of different things and express them. Just because they do not agree with Lord Flasheart and express this does not mean they are on a bandwagon.

I notice you only quoted part of my post convienently missing the part that made the point .. EPIC FAIL.

The thread I referenced was started as a joke by me and the anti smokers waded in and overloaded it with their bandwagon, this was despite myself and another Orger trying to put the humour back into it. Cut to the flak I took about my rather forthright views on "druggies" and how I was (repeatedly) told they deserve sympathy etc etc. Which is the point I made in the post you (semi) quoted. If your still unsure what I am on about then get a dictionary and look up hypocrisy.

Kevin Milkins
26-Jun-08, 01:00
I have followed Lord Flasheart's threads on smoking and also drug taking and I have to agree with just about most he says. Smoking is legal and drug taking is not and we can beg to differ on many points ,but thats the facts.

oldmarine
26-Jun-08, 02:19
Ricco, I am not as stupid or as senile as some on the org and other sites see me, Mrs G is a wonderful person, I know I married her, but I live with her virtually 24/7, well maybe not more like 20/6 [lol]

Golach: those are very good numbers.